• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2017 (Apr 17 - Apr 23)

Yes comparitively large. I'm sure you realise that even AAA games on the 3DS don't cost near as much as AAA games on a HD console. I asking you why do you think 3DS cost as much as more than Racoon city.
This is Racoon city and it was multiplatform
Is this screenshot from the 3DS version of Racoon City?

AniHawk

i think the problem with 3ds development is that the system was a different kind of beast. compared to other platforms, it was cheap to develop for, but it was also specialized (two screens, 3d feature), and probably not very easy to make a port for. if you isolate the 3ds fanbase at the time as being between 20-30 million worldwide and then look at ps3/360/ps4/xb1 as a userbase, then making 'one game' is a lot easier across those platforms, especially as disc prices make for a lower platform charge and you can get away with a higher msrp (the only ones who dared to dream on 3ds were atlus, god bless them).

as long as porting to switch isn't a big issue, then ports should happen on the regular. maybe not for every major game, but seeing smaller stuff already announced is a good sign - nights of azure 2 and fate extella are exactly the kinds of games you would see on a platform that is getting a wide variety of support out of japan, where even the niche stuff can succeed.

the biggest problem outside of planning for a switch version of a game from the onset is the platform charge. cartridges are expensive and if you are developing a project with a certain profit margin in mind, it is a hard pill to swallow if you're using the max card size. more than that, some companies build into their plan the idea of flooding the market with so many games that the inevitable price drops are simply part of the deal. doing markdowns on switch games is a much more difficult experience because of card prices for those really big games.

that said, if kingdom hearts 3 is actually holiday 2019 like all of us rational people expect, then i think the switch is a good place for it. this is also like the wii's 2007 where publishers have a duty to themselves to get in on the platform while the iron is hot. after about 18 months, the direction will solidify and currently, it seems like japanese titles and throwback games are super in for switch fans. you probably won't see skyrim doing really well unless there are more games like it, but i expect stuff like a resident evil 2 remake, a final fantasy remake, and other older franchises will do well considering what's already succeeding.

also, unlike with the 3ds, the west is going to help determine the switch's future in a positive way. japanese developers looking for a bigger worldwide fanbase won't want to miss out.

I mean, there's no way the Switch is another Wii U... interest in the Wii U cratered after release. Switch is still red hot. The value proposition of it is very good.

I made a bad prediction thinking the Switch wouldn't take off and even I can admit this... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Back in January, I said the price of the Switch was obviously too high and I was frustrated that they would repeat basically the same mistake as the Wii U - just making whatever system then pricing it based on how much everything added together costs rather than starting with "People are only willing to buy a system from us at X price, so let's make the most appealing system that we will be able to sell at that price." It felt like they were trying to justify the price by emphasizing the HD Rumble as well as the IR sensor and ability to use the Joy-Con as two separate controllers when they didn't need to do any of those things to make an appealing product.

Needless to say, I've been eating crow every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the past two months, and it's delicious.

jnWake

I think Tekken 7 and MvC not being on Switch are missed opportunities.

Tekken could take advantage of the multiplayer audience and there's been some Tekken stuff on Nintendo consoles in the past. I don't think it'd be a huge seller but it could do fine.

MvC would do well IMO, Nintendo hardcore fans (who are likely the current Switch audience) tend to be into Capcom's characters and Marvel has unniversal appeal so it could appeal to kids and that audience. It doesn't look that graphically impressive either.

I'd bet both cases are mainly because of development kits coming way too late into development. If they get special editions I'd be surprised if they still miss Switch.

EDIT: Unrelated, but Oregano's shift between this thread and other Switch threads is amusing.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Back in January, I said the price of the Switch was obviously too high and I was frustrated that they would repeat basically the same mistake as the Wii U - just making whatever system then pricing it based on how much everything added together costs rather than starting with "People are only willing to buy a system from us at X price, so let's make the most appealing system that we will be able to sell at that price." It felt like they were trying to justify the price by emphasizing the HD Rumble as well as the IR sensor and ability to use the Joy-Con as two separate controllers when they didn't need to do any of those things to make an appealing product.

Needless to say, I've been eating crow every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the past two months, and it's delicious.

I think the wii functionaliaty was reasonably important, I mean while the motion control craze has died down it's not like it completely disappeared. 1 2 switch almost shipped a million after all. And to a lot of people they didn't realise the wii u was even a successor to the wii, so really this is the successor to the wii. Also helps a lot simulating the touch screen on a tv.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think Tekken 7 and MvC not being on Switch are missed opportunities.

Tekken could take advantage of the multiplayer audience and there's been some Tekken stuff on Nintendo consoles in the past. I don't think it'd be a huge seller but it could do fine.

MvC would do well IMO, Nintendo hardcore fans (who are likely the current Switch audience) tend to be into Capcom's characters and Marvel has unniversal appeal so it could appeal to kids and that audience. It doesn't look that graphically impressive either.

I'd bet both cases are mainly because of development kits coming way too late into development. If they get special editions I'd be surprised if they still miss Switch.

What Tekken audience Prime 3D seemed to have bombed tekken tag also bombed, Tekken has is traditionally been linked with Playstation and even the PSP got a port. This is like the MH PS4 exclusive arguement at what point can you pick out a sizeable Tekken audience on a nintendo console or handheld. The closest is Pokken, and I don't think that counts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Usually I'd say a daily comgnet update is unnecessary, but anything to get off this god awful resident evil discussion.

Anyways, MK8 Deluxe had more orders than the Wii U version and Splatoon 2 is already the most pre-ordered Switch game with almost 3 months to go.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Usually I'd say a daily comgnet update is unnecessary, but anything to get off this god awful resident evil discussion.

Anyways, MK8 Deluxe had more orders than the Wii U version and Splatoon 2 is already the most pre-ordered Switch game with almost 3 months to go.

Whats ARMS at

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Are we really sure we won't get numbers next week? By that I mean: IIRC, 4Gamer will post MC charts again on May 10th, so certainly we won't get MC numbers, except in the case other sites decide to post a partial, software-only report - didn't that happen already in the past? - but I wonder if the same's going to happen for Famitsu / Dengeki. Do we have official statements on the matter?

Check last year's thread, it will be the same this year.

Subscribers will get the numbers on Wednesday, if we are lucky the blog will leak MK8DX and Switch numbers.

Otherwise gamer.ne.jp will post top 30 later and Media Create will update the site on Friday.

1kRi0wC.gif

I wonder how hard winning in ARMS will be for a casual player. With Splatoon, even if you suck at shooting, you can ink the stage and only splat people if they're in the way and have a ton of fun and win. That's actually what I do. I'm not good at using any weapon other than the roller and I love the game.

I think ARMS will be pretty successful, but not like Splatoon. I think it'll be harder to win if you're a less experienced player. That said, the motion controls should help. It should be much easier than those traditional fighting game button combos that are impossible to remember. I could see 500k LTD, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was more like 300k.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I can't... stop... watching this

What is she doing? Why god why?

I wonder how hard winning in ARMS will be for a casual player. With Splatoon, even if you suck at shooting, you can ink the stage and only splat people if they're in the way and have a ton of fun and win. That's actually what I do. I'm not good at using any weapon other than the roller and I love the game.

I think ARMS will be pretty successful, but not like Splatoon. I think it'll be harder to win if you're a less experienced player. That said, the motion controls should help. It should be much easier than those traditional fighting game button combos that are impossible to remember. I could see 500k LTD, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was more like 300k.

I think it'll depend on what the 2 vs 2 entails and how fun it is. I mean casuals don't seem to play 1 vs 1 in Smash and 2 vs 2 gives someone to blame and you need that someone to blame.

AniHawk

No, that's a stupid oversimplification of what I said. I said that all the third party games for Switch bombing would be bad(And pretty much everything has apart from Bomberman and Puyo Puyo) and that Disgaea 5 bombing would specifically send a bad signal for NIS' ongoing support and also to other Vita publishers who might have considered Switch.

i think hindsight has disgaea 5 looking like bad timing more than anything. at launch you were getting zelda. then your choices were some party games or maybe one more longer game. so, zelda + 1 2 switch or bomberman (or snipperclips i guess), and then for that other longer game, the choices were disgaea 5, or a compilation of dragon quest heroes.

in the us and europe, dq heroes i&ii still isn't out, but westerners snapped up the same top three or four games and then started grabbing binding of isaac, snake pass, and puyo puyo tetris. a little under three months after launch, disgaea 5 actually acts as the only full-priced single-player experience on the platform after zelda while most games are still budget-priced or multiplayer. i think that will be interesting to watch, as a strong performance in the us can push for other things out of japan. it's why nis got into steam, and probably why there are ps4 versions of danganronpa and cladun.

There's 2v2 so that should help.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, that's a stupid oversimplification of what I said. I said that all the third party games for Switch bombing would be bad(And pretty much everything has apart from Bomberman and Puyo Puyo) and that Disgaea 5 bombing would specifically send a bad signal for NIS' ongoing support and also to other Vita publishers who might have considered Switch.

Everything has? Dragon Qest selling 50k is bombing now?
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay let alone snipper clips etc.

Ōkami

1. [SWI] Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 452
  2. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X - 199
  3. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 45
  4. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 37
  5. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 37
  6. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue - 28
  7. [PSV] Tokeijikake no Ley Line: Kagerou ni Samayou Majo - 19
  8. [PS4] Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition - 18
  9. [SWI] 1-2-Switch - 16
  10. [PSV] Gun Gun Pixies - 15
  11. [PSV] Gun Gun Pixies (Gunpic Edition) - 13
  12. [3DS] Pro Baseball Famista Climax - 11
  13. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS - 10
  14. [3DS] Cube Creator DX - 10
  15. [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMIX - 9
  16. [PS4] Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege - 9
  17. [PSV] Tsuihou Senkyo - 8
  18. [PS4] NieR: Automata - 8
  19. [3DS] Puyo Puyo Chronicle - 8
  20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 - 8
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 269
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 182
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 154
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 74
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 30
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 27
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Gundam Versus - 17
[SWI] Arms 17
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 16
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 15
[SWI] Ultra Street Fighter II - 13
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 7
[PS4] Everybody's Golf - 7
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 7

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

The 3DS supported MT Framework. It was used for Revelations.

Supporting an engine doesn't really mean anything.

Dragon Quest Heroes I-II should be included in the exceptions, IMHO, given how it's one of the five Switch games that keep on selling week after week, depending on Switch's stock.
Also, while numbers are definitely small, the fact that Disgaea 5 is a late port and not a portable version with additional brand new content puts it under a different context than what we tried to use before Switch's launch, IMHO.

Fiendcode

Dragon Quest Heroes I-II should be included in the exceptions, IMHO, given how it's one of the five Switch games that keep on selling week after week, depending on Switch's stock.
Also, while numbers are definitely small, the fact that Disgaea 5 is a late port and not a portable version with additional brand new content puts it under a different context than what we tried to use before Switch's launch, IMHO.
Sounds like the list of exceptions might outnumber the list of "everything fails".

Oregano

Yup, I thought the high price and complete lack of third party support would destroy the Switch. If anything it's reaffirmed the power of Nintendo as a publisher.

i think hindsight has disgaea 5 looking like bad timing more than anything. at launch you were getting zelda. then your choices were some party games or maybe one more longer game. so, zelda + 1 2 switch or bomberman (or snipperclips i guess), and then for that other longer game, the choices were disgaea 5, or a compilation of dragon quest heroes.

in the us and europe, dq heroes i&ii still isn't out, but westerners snapped up the same top three or four games and then started grabbing binding of isaac, snake pass, and puyo puyo tetris. a little under three months after launch, disgaea 5 actually acts as the only full-priced single-player experience on the platform after zelda while most games are still budget-priced or multiplayer. i think that will be interesting to watch, as a strong performance in the us can push for other things out of japan. it's why nis got into steam, and probably why there are ps4 versions of danganronpa and cladun.

I'd really surprised if it was notably more successful in the west. My impression was that it was similar to what happened with Kenka Bancho 6 on the 3DS. NIS probably thought that the Vita audience would transition and decided to get there first but was probably counting on other publishers having stuff announced for further out(in that regard stuff like Nights of Azure and Fate/Extella being announced pre-launch might have helped). Instead they were caught in that trap where they had the only game appealing to that niche so that audience didn't materialise on Switch at launch.

I have the limited edition preordered on the Nintendo UK Store though!

Everything has? Dragon Qest selling 50k is bombing now?
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay let alone snipper clips etc.

50k for a DQ game is nothing, it's neither here nor there. Snipperclips is first party.

And Disgaea 5 Complete is actually still trucking in the MC top 50. What was the PS4 version's chart life after release? I'll check.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yup, I thought the high price and complete lack of third party support would destroy the Switch. If anything it's reaffirmed the power of Nintendo as a publisher.

I'd really surprised if it was notably more successful in the west. My impression was that it was similar to what happened with Kenka Bancho 6 on the 3DS. NIS probably thought that the Vita audience would transition and decided to get there first but was probably counting on other publishers having stuff announced for further out(in that regard stuff like Nights of Azure and Fate/Extella being announced pre-launch might have helped). Instead they were caught in that trap where they had the only game appealing to that niche so that audience didn't materialise on Switch at launch.

I have the limited edition preordered on the Nintendo UK Store though!

50k for a DQ game is nothing, it's neither here nor there. Snipperclips is first party.
At launch yeah nothing indeed because it sold so well on the PS4 brand new. Snipper clips is indie helped by first party.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

If you take out SDF and the usual suspects that invested and keep investing on Switch failure for their own reasons each one the big mistake was the idea that handhelds sell only when they are cheap. Even more handhelds from Nintendo that had kids as their main buying audience in the past.

AniHawk

well there isn't much to go on aside from amazon rankings, but it was pretty consistently within the top 400 for video games and that's a good spot to be in if you're a niche title. i say 'was' because it's currently unable to be preordered because amazon doesn't know when they will get more in stock.

Ōkami;235264666 said:
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 269
[3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 182
[PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time - 154
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 74
[PS4] Nights of Azure 2 - 30
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 27
[PSV] Nights of Azure 2 - 22
[PS4] Gundam Versus - 17
[SWI] Arms 17
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - 16
[3DS] The Alliance Alive - 15
[SWI] Ultra Street Fighter II - 13
[3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 7
[PS4] Everybody's Golf - 7
[3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2 - 7

This is insane. I wonder when Nintendo will officially open preorders. They might be wanting to give Arms some time to itself, but I think it'd be a little late if they waited for it to release.

Also, on the topic of Switch launch games, I really don't think most of them did badly if we go by how much they've sold through their shipments. I don't really think NIS was expecting much for Disgaea, and same for SE with I am Setsuna. What's notable to me is that many of these games (Disgaea, DQH 1&2, Puyo Puyo, Bomberman) are fairly stable in their presence on the charts, which suggests that they're selling decently alongside the hardware. MK week could give a few of them a decent boost.

Disgaea 5's MC PS4 vs Switch chart legs (first 8 weeks).

PS4:

13./00. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) – 22.725 / NEW
37./13. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) – ? / ?
46./37. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) – ? / ?
–
–
–
–
–

Switch:

26./00. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / NEW
33./26. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / ?
44./33. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / ?
49./44. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / ?
–
–
49./00. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / ?
47./49. [NSW] Disgaea 5 Complete (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.03.03} (¥6.980) – ? / ?

– = Absent during this week

Mpl90

well there isn't much to go on aside from amazon rankings, but it was pretty consistently within the top 400 for video games and that's a good spot to be in if you're a niche title. i say 'was' because it's currently unable to be preordered because amazon doesn't know when they will get more in stock.

IIRC it shot up to around 250th for a while. NISA/Amazon.com should hurry up in getting more copies, it's been unavailable for quite a while.

Also, 6-10% of total allotment of NISA's own Special Edition left (but we don't know how big the allotment is)

http://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-5-complete-limited-edition-nintendo-switch

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I still don't get why we're spending so much time analysing D5 sales. it sold 22k on the PS4 and dissapeared, it was never going to be a big and and considering how launch legs go i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up outselling the PS4 version somewhere long down the line when we get the numbers. The switches third party support wouldn't be dependent on such a port.

jman2050

If you take out SDF and the usual suspects that invested and keep investing on Switch failure for their own reasons each one the big mistake was the idea that handhelds sell only when they are cheap. Even more handhelds from Nintendo that had kids as their main buying audience in the past.

I think it's a bit different than that. People tried to frame the price argument either in terms of Switch being a handheld or Switch being a home console and made logical and sound arguments against the Switch's price point in both cases. It turns out that the Switch being both of these things is kind of important and totally shakes up the value proposition discussion in a way that very few people expected.

Mpl90

Also, I'll be honest, I'm insterested in seeing Spelunker's second week: despite its low debut (7,5k for MC, almost 6k for Famitsu / Dengeki), I think the game could show some legs in the following weeks, due to the low price and the possible more "casual" appeal.

I still don't get why we're spending so much time analysing D5 sales. it sold 22k on the PS4 and dissapeared, it was never going to be a big and and considering how launch legs go i wouldn't be surprised if it ended up outselling the PS4 version somewhere long down the line when we get the numbers. The switches third party support wouldn't be dependent on such a port.

Because it's either arguing about D5's Sales or talking about RE/MH Switch stuff....I'll take the first one.

Sterok

So besides gacha, what other popular monetization methods are there on mobile? Everyone talks about gacha, but a market that big must have other ways of making money right?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yes like this:

Nooooo no no, I've had enough of that thread. Even the artifical storage arguement was somehow made worse (someow consoles selling out but not selling many consoles at all tricks third parties into supporting consoles). There's only so many poor arguements you can take

Mpl90

Check last year's thread, it will be the same this year.

Subscribers will get the numbers on Wednesday, if we are lucky the blog will leak MK8DX and Switch numbers.

Otherwise gamer.ne.jp will post top 30 later and Media Create will update the site on Friday.

Thanks Chris. Hopefully the blog is going to be leaky this week. As a matter of fact, I wonder if Famitsu could post an early sales report, given the release's importance.

AniHawk

6 pages in one Sunday? oh switch.

for the record, I don't see KH3 or FF7R hitting switch. I wish tho

i'm thinking ff7r no, but kh3... maybe? first steps would be seeing some kh compilations on switch. square enix was really trying hard on ps4 with those.

Cerium

i'm thinking ff7r no, but kh3... maybe? first steps would be seeing some kh compilations on switch. square enix was really trying hard on ps4 with those.

I actually think KH3 is more likely than the compilations, given that the compilations are done in PhyreEngine while 3 is done in UE4.

I also believe the FF7R rumor because of Orgen.

Top Bottom