• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2014 (Apr 21 - Apr 27)

TheChaos0

So the ps4 will have a 4 million userbase 30 months from launch? A full 6 months before the PS3 while already lagging behind in sales?

There doesn't need to be 4 million PS4 sold, in order to match FFXIII sales. What matters is that there are enough people who buy Final Fantasy games that bought a PS4. Install base does not equate sales, you only have to look at Wii for example of that. I perfectly undertand that it's impossible to have a game with 1:1 attach ratio and that at this rate it will take more than 2 years to even get to 2million, if the sales remain as apathetic as they are now.

It doesn't necessarily have to be at 4 million to ensure FFXV does better. It could have a higher tie ratio, FFXV may have better legs, really there are so many factors that its hard to even make a prediction but its just a gut feeling. It could very well be wrong.

I have the same gut feeling, we can both be very wrong and laugh all about these predictions in 2 years time in yet another Media Create thread.

GetemMa

14K for the PS4.

The home console is dead in Japan.

Nintendo...take note when thinking about any further hardware.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Golf will likely take the top spot from Yo-kai Watch next week but it has no competition the week after that. Maybe we'll see a 100k week.

koutoru

Especially after seeing how the PS4 is doing in Japan, Microsoft is probably putting most of their Asian focus on China, not Japan.
I don't blame them either. At this rate Xbox One is going to be DOA in Japan.

Metallix87

Especially after seeing how the PS4 is doing in Japan, Microsoft is probably putting most of their Asian focus on China, not Japan.
I don't blame them either. At this rate Xbox One is going to be DOA in Japan.

Makes sense to me. China is potentially a huge market.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Mario Golf will likely take the top spot from Yo-kai Watch next week but it has no competition the week after that. Maybe we'll see a 100k week.

Didn't Mario Tennis Open achieve 100k opening on its release week?

Any chance for it to do the same or better based on Golden Week and retailers impression?

Votron

I'm glad those days are gone, to put it mildly. It wasn't a system that deserved such dominance.

Someone is bitter..I mean very bitter. If a system has good games that people want to buy and play..I mean comon what's the negative in that?

Fularu

Banned
Someone is bitter..I mean very bitter. If a system has good games that people want to buy and play..I mean comon what's the negative in that?

It's not the Vita.

I'm only half joking, there's some truth as far as Dave is concerned.

SmokyDave

If you honestly want to know why I feel bitter, drop me a PM. I'm not listing my reasons in here again because all it does is stirs up bad blood with the 'all that matters is the software' crowd (who evidently make up the majority of gamers).

I find it kind of odd that my comment draws so much ire, but the dude who's sad because the 3DS isn't utterly dominant gets a total free pass. I guess it's different when you're chanting for the winner.

It's not the Vita.

I'm only half joking, there's some truth as far as Dave is concerned.
Yeah, kinda. Not for the reasons you think though. If MS made the Vita and Sony made the 3DS, I'd feel exactly the same way.

Fularu

Banned
Yeah, kinda. Not for the reasons you think though. If MS made the Vita and Sony made the 3DS, I'd feel exactly the same way.
I don't doubt it for a second. You don't strike me as a "brand" fanboy. Just as someone who wants the best tech money can buy.

Except the best tech doesn't mean the best games, as evidenced by the 3DS (or hell, even mobile thoroughly trouncing both)

Alrus

Well I highly disagree. Hearts on DS was an internal effort but it still only sold 250k. It also seemed well received by users going by Amazon JP (four stars, comparable to Vesperia PS3 and Graces F).

The Tales fanbase has been playing on PlayStation for a long time. I don't see a Nintendo handheld managing to push Xillia games numbers. If Namco believed there was a large enough fanbase on Nintendo's handhelds, we'd probably be seeing more than just Reve Unitia coming to the 3DS.

While I agree that a portable Tales will never reach the Level of Xillia, Hearts was preceded by a mediocre game (Innocence) which was preceded by a truly awful one (Tempest). By the time Hearts came out most of the target audience was probably soured on DS tales games. Kingdom Hearts suffered the same fate, with days and Re:Coded being pretty badly received, thus leading to the very mediocre sales of KH 3D because part of the fanbase associated KH on a Nintendo platform with bad/mediocre.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They were all sprite based games on NES/SNES and all very comparable. Here, let me compare FF VI and DQ VI.

gfs_28510_2_22.jpg

gfs_4537_2_6.jpg

An even better example would be DQV SFC (a very bare bones looking game) and FF IV (an extremely early SFC RPG)

Maedhros

I don't doubt it for a second. You don't strike me as a "brand" fanboy. Just as someone who wants the best tech money can buy.

Except the best tech doesn't mean the best games, as evidenced by the 3DS (or hell, even mobile thoroughly trouncing both)

It means "games that could be better" in a lot ways that aren't graphics. Except ones that use the 3DS inputs well.

Alrus

It means "games that could be better" in a lot ways that aren't graphics. Except ones that use the 3DS inputs well.

Tbh very few 3rd party 3DS games have the need for a second stick, so the bitterness towards that always seemed weird to me.

Soriku

While I agree that a portable Tales will never reach the Level of Xillia, Hearts was preceded by a mediocre game (Innocence) which was preceded by a truly awful one (Tempest). By the time Hearts came out most of the target audience was probably soured on DS tales games. Kingdom Hearts suffered the same fate, with days and Re:Coded being pretty badly received, thus leading to the very mediocre sales of KH 3D because part of the fanbase associated KH on a Nintendo platform with bad/mediocre.

I think KH 3D was hurt more by being the fourth KH game on a portable (with no KH3 in sight at the time), but if your logic holds then the damage done by previous Tales would carry over to a future Nintendo habdheld.

Alrus

I think KH 3D was hurt more by being the fourth KH game on a portable (with no KH3 in sight at the time), but if your logic holds then the damage done by previous Tales would carry over to a future Nintendo habdheld.

Maybe, but if Hearts was well received by the people who bought the game, they might be more enclined to buy a new iteration due to decent word of mouth(provided it's not absolutely awful). That's kind of what happened between Rune Factory 3 (which sold pretty badly but was very well received) and RF 4.

But honestly I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing here, I don't think there's going to be a portable Tales game with real effort put into it this gen.

pixelbox

I showed mine a little love over the weekend. I charged it up and played some Luigi's Mansion 2. I don't thoroughly despise the machine, I just feel it's a regressive piece of hardware and that its utter domination of Japan wasn't a positive thing for me as a handheld gamer.

(Edited out a misplaced apostrophe).

Damn. But I do feel the same. I would not have a problem with th 3DS if it were somewhat cutting edge.

Fularu

Banned

Such as? Because a good game is a good game, regardless of its plateform. And exclusives are built around the plateform they're on. The odds of Nintendo's exclusive games beeing defacto better on Vita because of its hardware are prety slim.

Alrus

Damn, PS4 still not selling.

It's not selling because of apprehensive Japanese customers. Last GEN was just just a disappointment for Japan, no wonder it's in a decline.

It's not selling because there's nothing on it that the Japanese feel is worth the expense at the moment. (it's two biggest games were cross platform). If (that's a big if) the games come, then it will see better days, just like the PS3 did.

Mory Dunz

KH3D also didn't feel as important to the story as the others. (Though it may have well been).

Chain of Memories was the link between KH and KH2, explaining, Organization 13.

BBS had the lead in of the huge end cutscene of KH2.

358/2 and KH3D just didn't appear all that important in comparison.

Tripon

KH3D also didn't feel as important to the story as the others. (Though it may have well been).

You forgot Re:Coded. Now that game didn't need to exist.

MechaX

Eh... I don't know how one could have played KH3D and not think it's important to the story.
Especially since it builds upon the Secret ending on KH2 and directly confirms what in the fuck the primary antagonist may really want while tying in the events of BBS to the inevitable KH3.

358/2 and Re:Coded on the other hand... yeah.

Maedhros

Tbh very few 3rd party 3DS games have the need for a second stick, so the bitterness towards that always seemed weird to me.

Such as? Because a good game is a good game, regardless of its plateform. And exclusives are built around the plateform they're on. The odds of Nintendo's exclusive games beeing defacto better on Vita because of its hardware are prety slim.

You guys knows that it's not limited to controls, right?
Better AI, better graphics (as in more details which makes the game more immersive), bigger range of genres available (open world games for example), better performance, etc.

Of course, the implementation and the developer wanting to do that, in the end. BTW, I'm not saying that the games on 3DS are bad, just that they always could be better.

duckroll

Sometimes I think that people who are a bit too close to a game or series tend to lack the perspective to see how general consumers might see something. With regards to KH and Tales I think there's one huge difference in "damage" done from game to game - Tales games are usually not connected in any way unless they are straight sequels. They're also not marketed as being a continuous story. This makes the barrier of entry relatively low, and it also means people who didn't play a bunch of Tales games because they were on other platforms won't feel like they're missing anything if they choose to pickup the next one which is on a platform they want.

KH has a much larger problem. On one hand, they wanted to make all the spinoffs and prequels and interquels to have some importance in the ongoing story. This makes the overall narrative more and more convoluted, making it harder and harder for new fans to get into the characters and stories. At the same time, the quality of the actual games remain inconsistent, which means even those who are following the entire series will start to get fatigued by it. When the core base starts dropping off, and it's hard to build on a new base, that generally results in complete decline for a series.

As for KH3D itself, what makes it feel like a really poor stepping stone for me is that it was simply a disappointing entry which was positioned as a "main game" in terms of content and narrative, but lacked the polish and satisfaction that usually comes with it. The game doesn't really have an ending of any sort, the entire story was intended as a sort of teaser/bridge towards KH3 - a title which wasn't even announced at that point, and which is many years away. The gameplay systems felt experimental but unpolished, and while there were a bunch of new worlds, the game itself lacked the self-contained feel which main entries of KH usually have. By the end of it, it really felt like just a big budget advertisement for a future game which doesn't exist yet. Hard not to feel ripped off by that.

Alrus

You guys knows that it's not limited to controls, right?
Better AI, better graphics (as in more details which makes the game more immersive), bigger range of genres available (open world games for example), better performance, etc.

Of course, the implementation and the developer wanting to do that, in the end. BTW, I'm not saying that the games on 3DS are bad, just that they always could be better.

You say it's not about the graphics then proceed to talk about the graphics heh. Anyway, as for the other ones, yeah that's true, but I fail to see how it relates to my argument, which is : No current popular 3rd party games on the 3DS besides MH are graphics/AI intensive, so why Dave and others feel bitter about it dominating feels strange to me (considering the games currently on it wouldn't have made much use of more powerful hardware anyway).

I'm not looking at first party stuff for obvious reasons.

KoopaTheCasual

After AAA gaming, AAAA jRPGs, bankrupting SE even faster :p

FFXV will be lucky to hit 1 million, let alone 2.
Ahahahahaha!

oh man.... quoting this for the future. You do realize even ARR (a rebooted FF MMO) did those numbers, right? ok.

Edit: Aw, now I feel embarrassed and stupid, if you meant only Japan sales, because then that statement seems way more possible (still think it will do well over 1 million), but yea, that's a more realistic idea.

Mory Dunz

Eh... I don't know how one could have played KH3D and not think it's important to the story.
Especially since it builds upon the Secret ending on KH2 and directly confirms what in the fuck the primary antagonist may really want while tying in the events of BBS to the inevitable KH3.

358/2 and Re:Coded on the other hand... yeah.

I was talking more the lead-in to it. Like, exposure/hype I suppose. (So people who haven't played.)
The impression that I got from CoM and BBS was that this was the "next" thing. No so much for KH3D.

I didn't know KH3D's importantance until I saw the GT Timeline.

So the ps4 will have a 4 million userbase 30 months from launch? A full 6 months before the PS3 while already lagging behind in sales?

Assuming PS4 maintains its current sales trajectory, it'll hit a million by the end of the year taking into account some boost in the holiday season. It won't necessarily be 4 million, but it should be in a position sufficient enough to sell a mainline FF to, taking into account the potential boost of hardware sales a mainline FF will contribute.

Besides, the whole idea of system sellers is that we should see the overall trajectory improve once software availability becomes stronger, just as Vita's overall software sales improved after there's more games for the platform in Japan.

Right now, PS4 literally offers nothing to Japanese gamers who doesn't want Akiba Trip or western games. Every other Japanese games announced for the PS4 has no date attached to them.

People from glass houses should not throw stones.

/offtopic

Show me posts I made where I consistently disparage other systems. I defend Nintendo but I do not do so at the expense of putting down other systems. God knows this industry is already assaulted from within and outside as it is.

What came first, the decline of the console market, or the PS3 starting that decline?

Might be the former, possibly due to a little something that happened in 2007.

gtj1092

You say it's not about the graphics then proceed to talk about the graphics heh. Anyway, as for the other ones, yeah that's true, but I fail to see how it relates to my argument, which is : No current popular 3rd party games on the 3DS besides MH are graphics/AI intensive, so why Dave and others feel bitter about it dominating feels strange to me (considering the games currently on it wouldn't have made much use of more powerful hardware anyway).

I'm not looking at first party stuff for obvious reasons.

You don't think they were designed that way because of the console they are on?

Fularu

Banned
You don't think they were designed that way because of the console they are on?

I've yet to see "deeper" (read, more sophisticated) games on the Vita so far. Deep, sophisticated, immersive, interesting, entertaining have little to do with the power structure and differences between both the 3DS and the Vita.

KtSlime

I've yet to see "deeper" (read, more sophisticated) games on the Vita so far. Deep, sophisticated, immersive, interesting, entertaining have little to do with the power structure and differences between both the 3DS and the Vita.

Why don't you care about graphics, the one true measure of a game's quality...?

allan-bh

After FF XIII (and sequels) fiasco and FF XV being an action rpg, I don't expect too much in terms of sales on Japan.

Top Bottom