• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2017 (Apr 24 - Apr 30)

casiopao

but if the Switch truly is the new high end system right now, then why lots of third parties still don't care about it, except marvelous,Gust and some big names like Square and KT. I mean ther must be a reason why developers still choose the vita to release their games and not the switch

3 months...... we are just in 3 months guys. Not even a single E3 or TGS for the system yet.O_O

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
3DS can't run Minecraft. Vita barely could.

uuuuh, yes I know.
and I also think tht the vast majority of Vita Minecraft owners (also as stated by SOny Japan in their analisys of its success) is already on 3DS too, considering how many big sellers the console successfully sold for a very similar target audience

Cookie18

but if the Switch truly is the new high end system right now, then why lots of third parties still don't care about it, except marvelous,Gust and some big names like Square and KT. I mean ther must be a reason why developers still choose the vita to release their games and not the switch

This is absolute insanity. Nobody knew the Switch would be so successful. Developers can't just stop everything they are doing and port their basically finished game (that would have started development 1-2 years ago) to a new system in a month or two.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
3 months...... we are just in 3 months guys. Not even a single E3 or TGS for the system yet.O_O

Speaking of which, we're actually a month from E3, which is crazy, and scary because it further confirms to me that time goes faster and faster the more you age.

Cerium

Real talk, the library is already great for how long it's been. I've got more games than I can keep up with and I've skipped a few I was interested in.

Puyo Puyo Tetris has consumed me. I see falling blocks when I close my eyes.

Passose

Banned
because the audience you claim to be targeted by those very little niche titles could very well be already on the console, considering how much it sold in the nowaday Japanese market, the sales that the big hitters got, and the presence of fewer but still present titles targeting a similar audience
It is a matter of size of target audiences: it is way more probable that the very small group targeted by "niche titles" also has a 3DS than due to one of the many way bigger titles, than not or viceversa.
It's logic and statistics.
Let's take for example the VIsual Novel genre, targeted by various small VIta titles. It could very well be that Ace Attorney series is of interest for that target market group and, being it able to sell way more copies than a small niche VN title on Vita, we can assume that a vast portion of that target group is already/also a 3DS owner.
We are not talking about a large enough group/genre of big enough sellers to presume that the niche target group isn't already present on the 3DS market
It is not that we have a big seller genre/title selling hotcakes of Vita to presume that the 3DS is missing out on that group, unlike it was for the cooperative action genre in Japan with Monster Hunter back in the PSP vs DS days, for example.

FAKE EDIT: now that I think about it, there is a title big enough on VIta and missing on 3DS that could lead us in saying that the 3DS is missing out on a particular target group, even if that target group is SO close to the classic and usual Nintendo core target group that I still think that the aformentioned analysis is still valid.

I'm talking about Minecraft
ok, fair enough

casiopao

Real talk, the library is already great for how long it's been. I've got more games than I can keep up with and I've skipped a few I was interested in.

Puyo Puyo Tetris has consumed me. I see falling blocks when I close my eyes.

Only Blocks? When u see falling blobs then u are on the crazy level now lol.^^

Speaking of which, we're actually a month from E3, which is crazy, and scary because it further confirms to me that time goes faster and faster the more you age.

Agree hiks.T_T And here i remember we are still in January and now, welp we are almost into the half part of the year.T_T And of course my backlog and work is still coming in mass.T_T

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yeah, how could Japanese third parties ever guess that a Nintendo handheld would sell well there.

You mean a Nintendo home console/handheld hybrid coming off the back of Nintendo's biggest home console failure ever?

This is absolute insanity. Nobody knew the Switch would be so successful. Developers can't just stop everything they are doing and port their basically finished game (that would have started development 1-2 years ago) to a new system in a month or two.

I think that the truth is in between.

Nintendo clearly isn't a lock for third parties in general. Speaking of Japanese market, it is obvious that portable have been always successfull, while home have been hit&miss, but in general I would say it's fair to assume that a Nintendo console doens't have third party support as a lock anyway

Nintendo Wii U was a complete failure, for third parties, that abandoned it long time ago. This obviously has impact on the support of its successor

Switch has been kept secret for a long time and in any case has been presented also to third party as an average priced home console or as a highly priced portable device.
Its hybrid nature surely confused also some third parties, I'm sure, in terms of target audience and game direction for the possible support

In any case, being it the successor of a failed home console, or a high-priced portable device, looking at Nintendo positioning in terms of price and software it appears clear that many Japanese software houses weren't in the position to trust an immediate success.

Is it so strange that Level5 hasn't put Snack world on the 3DS for example? I don't think so. they will once Nintendo will have put Pokemon or animal crossing* on the system. And maybe even cut the price of the console/launched a cheaper sku (without the dock??).

This is true also for other classic 3ds brands too.

About home console-bounded games, instead, nobody coule have been sure about Switch success, especially if the hypotetical Japanese success isn't nowadays seen as sufficient for a home production value game (that is the reason why so many japanese companies still program a lot for PS4, despite it not being so hot in Japan)

So, this leads us to the nowadays situation where we actually don't have many Japanese games available nor announced for the system. It is clear that both SE and KT are on board with already many games, probably not only because of their past relationship with Nintendo, but also because of products fitting both "target" (portable and handheld), while other have been absent or present with minor projects so far

This could improve, while the positioning will become more clear, while the software output from Nintendo become more varied, even without a price cut, especially if the console will continue selling well in Japan (for the possible arrival of classic portable productions, such as MH, Ace Attorney, Level5 productions, Atlus games and so on) or worldwide (for more home-oriented products, like Tales of* or others)

What I basically mean is that it IS true that it is early to declare the total absence of third parties projects on Switch for the incoming future, but at the same time we can't act like this absence isn't real in this very moment, nor like it is normal for any console

It is true that many consoles don't have significant support at the beginning, but at the same time they usually already have confirmed support. with the Switch, it isn't so, probably for the aformentioned issues I already underlined

So, don't pretend everything is normal or ok, but neither that nothing will come, never, zero, nein, to this console because the first months didn' see many announcements.

*please take the titles listed just as examples.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
We are in a sales thread, Vita line up from now on is irrelevant. No game will sell more than 50k. Full stop.

Sales are directly connected with relevance. A system,like Vita, that gets games which refer to a very limited audience it's alive only for that audience. For majority it's a dead system even if 10 titles are released every week.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I had to check.

As of now it looks like the Vita is actually selling worse than 2013 PSP (would be nice if someone can show this on a graph)

Vita Week 17,2017 YTD: 221.432
PSP Week 17, 2013 YTD: 241.904

The PSP was discontinued the following year (2014)

Vita - Week 18, 2012 - YTD 250.773 (you should be comparing to week 18 btw, since Famitsu is on Week 18).

Also this looks like the titles we're getting for the next couple of months in Japan:

Switch
05/12 - Minecraft: Switch Edition - Digital only (mentioning because it's Minecraft)
05/26 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
06/01 - Seiken Densetsu Collection
06/16 - Arms
06/29 - LEGO City Undercover
07/20 - Cars 3: Shouri e no Michi
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Limited Edition)
07/21 - Splatoon 2

3DS
05/11 - Attack on Titan: Shichi-Kara no Dasshutsu (Attack on Titan Visual Novel?)
06/01 - Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble+ (Welcome Price!!)
06/01 - Ridge Racer 3D (Welcome Price!!)
06/01 - Attack on Titan: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa CHAIN (Spike Chuns...
06/01 - Tales of the Abyss (Welcome Price!!)
06/22 - The Alliance Alive
06/29 - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
07/13 - 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers
07/13 - Ever Oasis
07/13 - Hey! Pikmin
07/13 - New Nintendo 2DS XL (Black and Turquoise)
07/13 - The Snack World: TreJarers
07/20 - Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4
07/20 - Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle to Daifugou no Inbou
07/29 - Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete
08/03 - Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 & 2 Special Edition
08/03 - Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken

PS4 (not sure which ones are digital here tbh)
5/18 - Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
5/18 - Prey
5/18 - Titanfall 2 (EA Best Hits)
5/25 - Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Ubi the Best)
5/25 - Ginsei Shogi Aun Toushin Kongou Raizan
5/25 - Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2
5/25 - Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Collection
5/25 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
6/1 - FIFA 17 (EA Best Hits)
6/1 - Tales of Berseria (Welcome Price!!)
6/1 - Tekken 7
6/8 - The Sexy Brutale
6/20 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: Complete Pack
6/20 - Final Fantasy XIV: Guren no Liberator (Collector's Edition)
6/22 - God Wars: Toki o Koete
6/29 - Far Cry Primal (Ubi the Best)
6/29 - LEGO City Undercover
6/29 - Portal Knights
6/29 - Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo: Dangan-Ronpa - Another Episode
7/6 - Gundam Versus
7/6 - Omega Labyrinth Z
7/13 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
7/13 - Hakoniwa Company Works
7/13 - Hakuoki: Shinkai - Fuukaden
7/20 -Cars 3: Shouri e no Michi
7/20 - Iwaihime: Matsuri
7/20 - MXGP3: The Official Motocross Videogame
7/20 - Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]
7/24 - DiRT 4
7/27 - Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Trilogy
7/29 - Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete

Vita
5/11 - Owaru Sekai to Birthday
5/18 - Danganronpa 1-2 Reload (Best Edition)
5/18 - Rewrite Harvest festa!
5/25 - Daredemo Shodan ni Nareru Igo Kyoushitsu
5/25 - Love of Ren'ai Koutei of LOVE! (Limited Edition)
5/25 - Marginal #4: Road to Galaxy (Limited Edition)
5/25 - San Goku Shi 13 with Power-Up Kit
5/30 - Ys Origin
6/1 - Shiin
6/1 - Tsukitomo. Tsukiuta 12 Memories
6/08 - Shiro to Kuro no Alice
6/22 - Tokyo Yamanote Boys for V: Main Disc (Special Edition)
6/29 - Karumaruka * Circle
6/29 - Osomatsu-san: The Game
6/29 - Tsumigui: Sen no Noroi, Sen no Inori for V
7/6 - Omega Labyrinth Z
7/20 - Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4
7/20 - World Election
7/27 - Grisaia no Kajitsu - SIDE EPISODE -
7/27 - Hiiro no Kakera: Omoi Iro no Kioku
7/27 - Kenka Bancho Otome: Kanzenmuketsu no My Honey
7/27 - Utsusemi no Mawari
7/27 - Wagamama High Spec

Damn rest of the may and whole June are barren for PS4. Only Tekken 7 will sell something. After that though July has Gundam, FF XII and DQ XI and should be strong month.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Why double Ever Oasis there lol.^^ Do u guys want it to bomb twice?^^

Why is Ever Oasis listed twice though?

Hm I copied the general list from Gamefaqs, and they have it listed twice for some reason xD. It releases on the 13th and not the 20th right?

I just realized Farming Simulator 18 is supposed to be releasing on Switch too right? I guess it's going to release later than the 3DS & PS4 versions (do we even have a release date)?

Passose

Banned
Vita - Week 18, 2012 - YTD 250.773 (you should be comparing to week 18 btw, since Famitsu is on Week 18).

Also this looks like the titles we're getting for the next couple of months in Japan:

Switch
05/12 - Minecraft: Switch Edition - Digital only (mentioning because it's Minecraft)
05/26 - Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
06/01 - Seiken Densetsu Collection
06/16 - Arms
06/29 - LEGO City Undercover
07/20 - Cars 3: Shouri e no Michi
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Limited Edition)
07/21 - Splatoon 2

3DS
05/11 - Attack on Titan: Shichi-Kara no Dasshutsu (Attack on Titan Visual Novel?)
06/01 - Ace Combat 3D: Cross Rumble+ (Welcome Price!!)
06/01 - Ridge Racer 3D (Welcome Price!!)
06/01 - Attack on Titan: Jinrui Saigo no Tsubasa CHAIN (Spike Chuns...
06/01 - Tales of the Abyss (Welcome Price!!)
06/22 - The Alliance Alive
06/29 - Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
07/13 - 100% Pascal Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers
07/13 - Ever Oasis
07/13 - Hey! Pikmin
07/13 - New Nintendo 2DS XL (Black and Turquoise)
07/13 - The Snack World: TreJarers
07/20 - Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4
07/20 - Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle to Daifugou no Inbou
07/29 - Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete
08/03 - Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 & 2 Special Edition
08/03 - Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken

PS4 (not sure which ones are digital here tbh)
5/18 - Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
5/18 - Prey
5/18 - Titanfall 2 (EA Best Hits)
5/25 - Assassin's Creed Syndicate (Ubi the Best)
5/25 - Ginsei Shogi Aun Toushin Kongou Raizan
5/25 - Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2
5/25 - Summer Lesson: Miyamoto Hikari Collection
5/25 - Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA
6/1 - FIFA 17 (EA Best Hits)
6/1 - Tales of Berseria (Welcome Price!!)
6/1 - Tekken 7
6/8 - The Sexy Brutale
6/20 - Final Fantasy XIV Online: Complete Pack
6/20 - Final Fantasy XIV: Guren no Liberator (Collector's Edition)
6/29 - Far Cry Primal (Ubi the Best)
6/29 - LEGO City Undercover
6/29 - Portal Knights
6/29 - Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo: Dangan-Ronpa - Another Episode
7/6 - Gundam Versus
7/6 - Omega Labyrinth Z
7/13 - Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
7/13 - Hakoniwa Company Works
7/13 - Hakuoki: Shinkai - Fuukaden
7/20 -Cars 3: Shouri e no Michi
7/20 - MXGP3: The Official Motocross Videogame
7/24 - DiRT 4
7/27 - Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm Trilogy
7/29 - Dragon Quest XI: Sugi Sarishi Toki o Motomete

Vita
5/11 - Owaru Sekai to Birthday
5/18 - Danganronpa 1-2 Reload (Best Edition)
5/18 - Rewrite Harvest festa!
5/25 - Daredemo Shodan ni Nareru Igo Kyoushitsu
5/25 - Love of Ren'ai Koutei of LOVE! (Limited Edition)
5/25 - Marginal #4: Road to Galaxy (Limited Edition)
5/25 - San Goku Shi 13 with Power-Up Kit
5/30 - Ys Origin
6/1 - Shiin
6/1 - Tsukitomo. Tsukiuta 12 Memories
6/08 - Shiro to Kuro no Alice
6/22 - Tokyo Yamanote Boys for V: Main Disc (Special Edition)
6/29 - Karumaruka * Circle
6/29 - Osomatsu-san: The Game
6/29 - Tsumigui: Sen no Noroi, Sen no Inori for V
7/6 - Omega Labyrinth Z
7/20 - Farming Simulator 18: Pocket Nouen 4
7/20 - World Election
7/27 - Grisaia no Kajitsu - SIDE EPISODE -
7/27 - Hiiro no Kakera: Omoi Iro no Kioku
7/27 - Kenka Bancho Otome: Kanzenmuketsu no My Honey
7/27 - Utsusemi no Mawari
7/27 - Wagamama High Spec
Ever Oasis, they should make a HD one for the switch as well, in case the 3ds one flop, that game style really suit the console though

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's pretty sad that Nintendo can't manage to ship out enough units during golden week of all week's are a major hardware launch. Makes me wonder where their shipping priorities are exactly.

cheesekao

It's pretty sad that Nintendo can't manage to ship out enough units during golden week of all week's are a major hardware launch. Makes me wonder where their shipping priorities are exactly.
The US most likely has a higher attach rate so it'd make sense for them to prioritize it.

Figures. Most of the other hardware isn't in a good way in general and Switch being supply constrained means there's not much to be excited about this year.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Ever Oasis, they should make a HD one for the switch as well, in case the 3ds one flop, that game style really suit the console though

Yeah, it looks like a Zelda-ish action RPG with a few light sim elements as well. It would probably be welcome addition for the Switch this early on.

Does it? I think the future successes and bombas are pretty clear.

It's the month where DQXI PS4 will outsell the 3DS version and Splatoon 2 will bomb so hard. It'll be so illuminating to see how humbled Nintendo fans will become when Switch loses all its momentum. #fakenews

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The US most likely has a higher attach rate so it'd make sense for them to prioritize it.
I mean yeah but if any week was going to get a reasonable high stock levels in Japan it's be this week. Means low stock levels are likely for most of this year until Nintendo manages to sorts out it's production pipeline.

Vena

So weak even including Switch, primarily (formSwitch) because of supply issues?

If every hardware were doing Switch numbers, it'd be a good week. Problem is that outside of the Switch, everything else is collapsing and has little to look forward to for a while.

Vena

Let's wait and see what happens over the next few weeks with Switch before we start deciding how hardware will do for the year.

Most *top* hardware will probably start tickling <15K in the coming weeks.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo announcing new 3DS revision 2 months in advance is very uncommon but the system is so late at its life cycle that it won't impact current sales very much. Making a few potential buyers waiting a few more weeks must be given though since nothing interesting comes out until July and it's not a bad looking revision like 2DS

I mean yeah but if any week was going to get a reasonable high stock levels in Japan it's be this week. Means low stock levels are likely for most of this year until Nintendo manages to sorts out it's production pipeline.

I don't think it implies anything shot stock levels for the rest of he year. It's still only a few months post release and they haven't had time to ramp up production much yet. That plus sales in NA and EU are still very strong. Hopefully they're currently ramping up production and that combined with demand slowing in other regions will see supply increased in Japan. The next few months are slow anyway so they don't need huge shipments. They just need to sort things out by the time splatoon launches and going into the holidays.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo announcing new 3DS revision 2 months in advance is very uncommon but the system is so late at its life cycle that it won't impact current sales very much. Making a few potential buyers waiting a few more weeks must be given though since nothing interesting comes out until July.

That's the particular element of the New 2DS XL announcement that stood out the most, to me. In the past, we've seen far shorter announcement-to-release periods for former revisions

Nintendo DSi - Announcement: October 2nd, 2008 | Release (Japan): November 1st, 2008
Nintendo DSi XL - Announcement: October 29th, 2009 | Release (Japan): November 21st, 2009
Nintendo 3DS XL - Announcement: June 21st, 2012 | Release (Japan): July 28th, 2012
New Nintendo 3DS/New Nintendo 3DS Xl - Announcement: August 29th, 2014 | Release (Japan): October 11th, 2014
New Nintendo 2DS XL - Announcement: April 28th, 2017 | Release: July 28th, 2017

The past revisions have been announced in the past at just a little more than one month before the release at most, while the New 2DS XL announcement has been made 3 months before the release. This could have a non irrelevant impact on 3DS weekly sales in the next future, but I guess we'll wait and see how much it'll actually be.

Well I imagine the Switch will have intermittent stock problems the whole year, with spiking demand that they can't keep up with during the big releases and holidays.

The last 20 years of Nintendo systems. Right or wrong, most third parties will wait until it's a complete no-brainer to support Switch.

Cerium

The last 20 years of Nintendo systems. Right or wrong, most third parties will wait until it's a complete no-brainer to support Switch.
I expect Japan to jump on quickly actually because I believe there's a wide understanding that the Switch represents the last best hope of saving the domestic market. I think we'll see some announcements at E3.

Top Bottom