• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 18, 2012 (Apr 30 - May 06)

mooreupp

On the Gameboy Advance, as was said it was killed early. It wasn't really that old and was selling well when the DS came out. The PSP was announced and Nintendo stock dropped something like 10% immediately. They had to have a response so they called the DS their 3rd tier (in addition to Gamecube and Gameboy). I don't think they actually had any desire to kill off the Gameboy brand or expectation that it wouldn't return, but the DS's huge success led to that.

All the same, the Gameboy Advance did well for awhile after the DS came out and even was around as a factor long enough to compete with the PS3 during its early low points.

Jomjom

Banned
The sudden deluge of super high quality software on the 3DS is simply amazing. I'm really hoping Nintendo announces a 3DS Lite at E3 with dual sticks built in and most of all NO REGION LOCKING. I would buy 2 right away.

donny2112

I don't know what this is, but I need it.

Looked it up when Xseed announced they were bringing it over. The idea is that your fighting some bad guys, and the women representing the signs of the Zodiac can't fight with you. But their children can. Therefore, the better relationship you have with each of the 12 signs of the Zodiac, the more powerful the children produced to help you fight the bad guys.

Dating finds its way into lots of games in Japan. Just look at Fire Emblem.

The Vita forecast for the upcoming FY is going to be eye opening and we'll finally get an idea of their expectations for this thing.

They've never had a problem revising down their forecasts (or even changing what they shipped last year to make this year look better) before. May give a proxy idea of if a price drop is coming, though.

tuffy

On the Gameboy Advance, as was said it was killed early. It wasn't really that old and was selling well when the DS came out.
If Nintendo really wanted it dead, I don't think they would've bothered releasing the GBA Micro almost a year after the DS launch. But just as people grumble now when new software is announced for the DS instead of the 3DS, there was a definite eagerness to move on to the next generation of portables at the time.

Dalthien

Smart move, Sony will grab dozens of sales with this campaign.

It seems like there's just nothing to promote. The marketing department is probably sitting on a pile of cash that was budgeted a year ago, and they've got to spend it on something. But there's just nothing appealing to spend it on.

So you get a 6-page ad in Famitsu for may very well be a fairly niche title, and an ad spend on an old game that didn't sell very well when it was released the first time.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
a couple of question: is it possible for HM to reach the 200K milestone? which is the best seller episode for this brand? how is MarioLand performing compared to Mario64DS?

a couple of question: is it possible for HM to reach the 200K milestone? which is the best seller episode for this brand? how is MarioLand performing compared to Mario64DS?

Of course its a certainty him will hit 200k, might have to wait til next year to find out confirmation though(unless media create gives a random update at some point (perhaps when rune factory releases?))

saichi

So you get a 6-page ad in Famitsu for may very well be a fairly niche title, and an ad spend on an old game that didn't sell very well when it was released the first time.

could be a cool game but looks more niche than ever as more info is released.

Yes. Someone mentioned it earlier. I believe SM3DL already sold more than SM64DS now.

Truth101

Banned
It seems like there's just nothing to promote. The marketing department is probably sitting on a pile of cash that was budgeted a year ago, and they've got to spend it on something. But there's just nothing appealing to spend it on.

That actually seems extremely plausible seeing as how SCEJ never markets anything.

Alrus

It will pass it sometimes during the year. It's already the 2nd best selling Harvest Moon I think. Best selling one is at 300k or so, and that will be hard to top.

SM3DL has already passed 64DS (~1.2mil) and is on its way to pass the original 64 (~1.6mil) too.

For what concerns Harvest Moon, I already answered a questione of that kind in the previous page. The Land of Origin has become the second best-selling entry in the series (considering 2001 onwards); it has outsold all DS games but Island of Happiness, which LTD is around 300k. I think that 200k is a lock for The Land of Origin -just 20k and we're there-, probably it might reach the 220k mark. Not bad for the first entry of the series on a new console; Island of Happiness was the third one on DS, instead.

As for Mario 3D Land, it has already outsold 64DS by 350k units; last known LTD for the latter is 1,217,587 units.

Busaiku

Harvest Moon games all have really long legs.
It will definitely break 200k.

Will probably do that within 2 months.

Culex

Banned
Things aren't looking good....

mGNJa.png

Vita is back to just over 10k....and for Golden Week, that's NOT good news. I thought for sure it would hit 15k or more.

The PSP is cannibalizing Vita sales, plain and simple. If there is no price-cut announced at E3, we might want to start the estate planning for Vita.

While I don't doubt it'll still carry on selling I believe its weekly sales in the long term will take a hair cut simply as it won't be the go to Mario game for new system purchasers

Sure, but 2mln units are really likely, and with a global LTD of, let's say, 8-9mln units, I can say Nintendo should be really happy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd say quite likely as just with galaxy 2 it'll be dirt cheap to make though I wouldn't expect it til at least Xmas next year

They should pause a bit with Mario plattformers on 3DS after NSMB 2 hits.... both games will sell fpr years, i dont think there is a reason for another title.

Things aren't looking good....

mGNJa.png

Vita is back to just over 10k....and for Golden Week, that's NOT good news. I thought for sure it would hit 15k or more.

The PSP is cannibalizing Vita sales, plain and simple. If there is no price-cut announced at E3, we might want to start the estate planning for Vita.

Its a hell of a leap to suggest PSP sales are cannibalising those of vita, with so little software either available or scheduled on vita there is really no evidence that many (or any?) Of this weeks 20k PSP buyers would be interested buying a vita instead

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd say quite likely as just with galaxy 2 it'll be dirt cheap to make though I wouldn't expect it til at least Xmas next year
Do we know anything about the developement budgets? All i know is that there is about 2.5 years between SMG1 and 2, so we're probably looking at a developement time around that amout of time.

Sure, but 2mln units are really likely, and with a global LTD of, let's say, 8-9mln units, I can say Nintendo should be really happy.

I'd say 2 million is a lock, it should be close to that when nsmb2 hits and will keep chugging along for years, maybe even get closer to 3 million one day

Do we know anything about the developement budgets? All i know is that there is about 2.5 years between SMG1 and 2, so we're probably looking at a developement time around that amout of time.

Apparently galaxy 2 was finished well before release but held back to give nsmbwii some breathing room, so short development time + asset reuse, yeah it was cheap

Great game though

test_account

XP-39C²
In comparison to galaxy 1
It is most likely cheaper indeed, but i'm still curious about how much money we're actually talking about. The thing about SMG2 being held back in favor NSMB Wii is just a rumor as far as i know. Miyamoto said that there is a lot of new stuff in SMG2, so it sounds like they did put some work into the game. Same question goes for other Nintendo games as well. It would be interesting to know aproximately how much their bigger titles (main Mario games, Smash Bros, Zelda etc.) actually cost to make.

It is most likely cheaper indeed, but i'm still curious about how much money we're actually talking about. The thing about SMG2 being held back in favor NSMB Wii is just a rumor as far as i know. Miyamoto said that there is a lot of new stuff in SMG2, so it sounds like they did put some work into the game.

I'm pretty sure the galaxy 2 being held back came from Nintendo (I could be wrong) and while yes there's lots of new stuff I'm pretty sure Nintendo said a lot if it is ideas and content they came up with while developing galaxy 1

Maybe they should have tried marketing the game back when it was actually released >_>

The whole change from launch day game download only on US/EU -> launch window game -> proper physical release -> new market marketing effort in Japan, just seems to me like Sony just dropped the ball the same way they did with Demon Souls.

Someone at Sony clearly underestimated the potential of the game until it started to have considerable hype and great reviews.

I'm pretty sure the galaxy 2 being held back came from Nintendo (I could be wrong) and while yes there's lots of new stuff I'm pretty sure Nintendo said a lot if it is ideas and content they came up with while developing galaxy 1

Nintendo said that SMG2 could've been released Holiday 2009 but they didn't want it competing with NSMBW. As for the later statement they just said they had a lot of ideas they still wanted to do that didn't make it into Galaxy. So it's based on interpretation. While I'm more than sure Galaxy 2 was cheaper it had nearly double the content as Galaxy.

donny2112

It would be interesting to know aproximately how much their bigger titles (main Mario games, Smash Bros, Zelda etc.) actually cost to make.

Nintendo employees tend to migrate to different teams based on where they are in the process. Therefore, it's hard to pin down the cost of one game. They share resources, so they don't necessarily have discreet budgets per game.

That's probably part of it, at least.

test_account

XP-39C²
I've only heard rumor about it (i also tried to Google it, but i found no official statements on it), but would make sense to hold it back if they made SMG2 fast.

True about the ideas, but it depends how much time it took to implement it into the new game. A ~2 year developement cycle sounds very plausible in my opinion. I never got around to play SMG2, but it is basically a brand new game with all new levels, power-ups and enemies? And also the including of Yoshi.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2012.05.17}

[3DS] PachiPara 3D: Ooumi Monogatari 2 - Pachi Pro Fuuunroku Hana - Kibou to Uragiri no Gakuen Seikatsu <TBL> (Irem Software Engineering) (¥6.090)

[PSP] Persona 2: Eternal Punishment <RPG> (Atlus) (¥6.279)
[PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Portable: There is no Reason Followed by a Bull # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute Portable: There is no Reason Followed by a Bull [Special Edition] <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.330)
[PSP] Brothers Conflict: Passion Pink # <SLG> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Brothers Conflict: Passion Pink [Limited Edition] <SLG> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Bunmei Kaika: Aoiza Ibunroku Saien <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Shouken Gaimuin Shiken Portable <EDU> (Media-5) (¥3.800)

[360] Memories Off: Yubikiri no Kioku (5pb. the Best) <ADV> (5pb.) (¥2.940)
[360] El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (Encore Edition) <ACT> (Ignition Entertainment) (¥2.940)

Thoraxes

I just think it's weird that (some of) you guys assume that PSP buyers would've bought a Vita instead if they made the PSP non-existent. I think if anything, besides the large number of UMDs, used games, and homebrew, price is the other main reason that they aren't buying it over the PSP.

antonz

Glad to see KI doing well. It was a title hardcore fans were screaming for Nintendo to remake for years so when they finally decided to do it glad to see the fans actually showed up

test_account

XP-39C²
Nintendo said that SMG2 could've been released Holiday 2009 but they didn't want it competing with NSMBW. As for the later statement they just said they had a lot of ideas they still wanted to do that didn't make it into Galaxy. So it's based on interpretation. While I'm more than sure Galaxy 2 was cheaper it had nearly double the content as Galaxy.
Come to think of it, there are only about 6 months between NSMBWii and SMG2, so it would still be about 2 years (instead of 2.5 years) between SMG1 and 2. It could be possible that they would be able to finish the game in about 2 years and have it ready for Holiday 2009.

Nintendo employees tend to migrate to different teams based on where they are in the process. Therefore, it's hard to pin down the cost of one game. They share resources, so they don't necessarily have discreet budgets per game.

That's probably part of it, at least.
I see. I guess that they are payed by the hour, so then it comes down to how many hours they work on each game.

I just think it's weird that you guys assume that PSP buyers would've bought a Vita instead if they made the PSP non-existent. I think if anything, besides the large number of UMDs, used games, and homebrew, price is the other main reason that they aren't buying it over the PSP.
Agreed. Doesn't PSP have an incredibly low attachment rate?

I never got around to play SMG2, but it is basically a brand new game with all new levels, power-ups and enemies? And also the including of Yoshi.

It isn't basically a new game, it is a new game. It has all new galaxys, plenty of new mechanics, tons of new powerups/Yoshi, It had 7 more galaxies than the original did(and the original reused galaxies towards the end), and double the amount of stars.

Wasn't 3DLand put together in the span of a year or so?

I think after NSMB2 comes out, Nintendo should even out the platformer love on the system and get Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, and Yoshi's Island out. Kirby and Yoshi both did very well on the NDS and Donkey Kong has the potential to be a huge breakout success on a portable platform considering the Wii version sold 900k+. I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't announce one or two of those games for the 3DS for sometime in 2013.

Top Bottom