• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2012 (May 07 - May 13)

I'm genuinely curious: What are these gaming experiences?

No worries. :)

Well, on the PSP I owned the Prinny games, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, Lunar, Legend of Heroes, Patapon, Daxter, Jak & Daxter, Killzone Liberation, Pixeljunk Monsters, etc.

The only Nintendo franchise that I enjoy anymore is Animal Crossing. I've grown tired of the rest of their 1st party franchises. They are quality franchises and quality games, just nothing that I would be interested in.

The Vita looked like it would continue to expand the depth and scope of portable games, and that would allow for games like Bioshock and Gravity Rush. That is what I personally wanted from this generation of portables.

orioto

Good Art™
you know, even if it was doing slighlty better, say 15k per week, the 3DS is doing so much better that it would neutralize any thoughts of publishers considering developing for Vita instead of 3DS and the market is narrowing so much that it wouldn't make a difference.

As dead as the Vita seems, and probably is right now, i have to react when someone talk like there is no need for it, nor a market for it.

You're saying that basically, there is actually no reason for a publisher to make a game for Vita, but i honestly think there is one, for a certain market. 3ds is already in its mainstream zone, and many owners will buy big games only. That means as huge the 3ds become, you'll always have some games with really low sells, niche games. For those games, an exclusive Vita release could actually make them stand out more.

Oh sure, that won't make the Vita a best seller console, but what i mean is that it has a market and a reason to exist, even this low.

M-PG71C

Ouch, I didn't expect Vita to drop that low considering how low it is already. I don't know what else Sony can do though considering their financial circumstances. Dropping the price may increase unit sales but it will also increase losses as well. There is no significant software in the coming months beyond Persona 4, and even then that is not exactly a system-seller.

I wouldn't mind owning a Vita but for the price and lack of software, I just can't justify it. True shame, really. :/

June will be Vita's strongest month yet. However, it has to go up aganist B2/W2 among others. That's not good odds. But, what choices do they have but play the cards they been dealt.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Week before DQVII:

PS1 20,165
PS2 55,144

Week of DQVII (1.86 million first week):

PS1 20,817
PS2 48,995

(PS1 sales were already higher than usual due to FFIX and the new model, PSOne).

The GBA LTD when Ruby / Sapphire were released was 6.6 million. The 3DS LTD is now 6m.

DSi is nowhere near as healthy as the PSX was. Hell it had barely been replaced by that point whereas the DSi is in full on dead mode right now.

I'm not saying that they'll do a million 3DS's on launch week or anything crazy like that but there will be a bump and it will last, probably most of the way until NSMB 2.

I really hate the 3ds hardware, it's relative lack of power, poor controls, terrible ergonomics, and crappy screens. To me, it feels like a cheap toy. :(

I don't care about Nintendo's fanbase. Nintendo systems simply do not have the type of gaming experiences that I generally enjoy.

Sucks to be you then, if you are going to spew vitriol for no good reason at all then other to trash Nintendo with the same tired stereotypes, perhaps the Vita deserves to die then, so maybe you might realize one day when you grow up that Nintendo has more talent and and sense of what makes things fun and exciting and different then Microsoft and Sony and damn near every other Console maker past, present and future.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Vita does fall (which it probably won't) 3DS would get most of those 3rd party PSP games anyways.

It might not get bioshock or other western developed games but then again such promises were made by western studios at the beginning of the PSP and they were soon forgotten.

Road

DSi is nowhere near as healthy as the PSX was. Hell it had barely been replaced by that point whereas the DSi is in full on dead mode right now.

I'm not saying that they'll do a million 3DS's on launch week or anything crazy like that but there will be a bump and it will last, probably most of the way until NSMB 2.

B2W2 are DSi only?

Honest question, I don't follow the news on those games.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
B2W2 are DSi only?

Honest question, I don't follow the news on those games.

No but have you seen any DS or DS Lite numbers in this thread lately?

In Japan the transition between DS models was swift and brutal and you can include the 3DS in that.

In America we love the DS Lite and the DSi only really started to take over when Nintendo stopped shipping them over here. DSi will in fact put up a gigantic fight when B2/W2 come out over here.

Sucks to be you then, if you are going to spew vitriol for no good reason at all then other to trash Nintendo with the same tired stereotypes, perhaps the Vita deserves to die then, so maybe you might realize one day when you grow up that Nintendo has more talent and and sense of what makes things fun and exciting and different then Microsoft and Sony and damn near every other Console maker past, present and future.

My personal opinion as to what I enjoy is "vitriol with no good reason?" I can't help the fact that I honestly dislike Nintendo's current handheld and the design philosophy behind it and their current stable of games. If you take off the blinders for a moment, you'd notice that I also stated "They are quality franchises and quality games, just nothing that I would be interested in." in discussing Nintendo overall.

If you enjoy it, great. I don't see what is so wrong with wanting something different than what one company could offer. I don't see how you can say they "makes things fun, exciting and different" in a thread about a sales chart that has the word "Mario" in 4 of the top 9 games this week. I don't see anything "different" in that.

P90

I really hate the 3ds hardware, it's relative lack of power, poor controls, terrible ergonomics, and crappy screens. To me, it feels like a cheap toy. :(

I don't care about Nintendo's fanbase. Nintendo systems simply do not have the type of gaming experiences that I generally enjoy.

If you have the Nyko battery pack, it makes the package balance much better. I don't have problems with the controls or ergonomics. It isn't as good as the DSLite. I find the PSV not as good ergonomically as the PSP. The analog sticks have no resistance and are cheap plastic. The triggers are not as ergonomic as the PSP's. The PSP can play PS1 games. The PSV, well maybe some day... As per screens, well the iPad 3 trounces the PSV and the 3DS.

Both current handhelds would benefit from redesigns.

It came out a year too late.

The western centric selection of launch titles didn't do this thing any favors in Japan. They should have waited for a better selection of Japanese titles before hitting Japan.

The funny thing about most of the Nintendo titles on that list are that they don't really cater to any particular region of the world. They're generally universally loved just about everywhere.

My personal opinion as to what I enjoy is "vitriol with no good reason?" I can't help the fact that I honestly dislike Nintendo's current handheld and the design philosophy behind it and their current stable of games. If you take off the blinders for a moment, you'd notice that I also stated "They are quality franchises and quality games, just nothing that I would be interested in." in discussing Nintendo overall.

If you enjoy it, great. I don't see what is so wrong with wanting something different than what one company could offer. I don't see how you can say they "makes things fun, exciting and different" in a thread about a sales chart that has the word "Mario" in 4 of the top 9 games this week. I don't see anything "different" in that.

You should take your own advice and take off your "blinders" as well chum. You seem butthurt friend, it is ok, 3DS is not doing all that well too. And there may be 4 Mario names in that list but they are all VERY different from one another and you know it. You specifically said that the 3DS feels like a toy, why don't you tell me why it is a toy to you? Why is the screen shit to you? Please explain instead of just trashing the 3DS. It just comes off as you being the one with blinders.

rpmurphy

Well, on the PSP I owned the Prinny games, Disgaea, Valkyria Chronicles, Lunar, Legend of Heroes, Patapon, Daxter, Jak & Daxter, Killzone Liberation, Pixeljunk Monsters, etc.

The only Nintendo franchise that I enjoy anymore is Animal Crossing. I've grown tired of the rest of their 1st party franchises. They are quality franchises and quality games, just nothing that I would be interested in.

The Vita looked like it would continue to expand the depth and scope of portable games, and that would allow for games like Bioshock and Gravity Rush. That is what I personally wanted from this generation of portables.
There are a lot of good 3rd party games available for Nintendo handhelds.

There are a lot of good 3rd party games available for Nintendo handhelds.

I have honestly not seen any that interest me for the 3DS. The DS had a few, but at this point the 3DS's third party library doesn't do anything for me.

Square has that beautiful RPG coming though. That combined with Animal Crossing will force me to buy one again.

You should take your own advice and take off your "blinders" as well chum. You seem butthurt friend, it is ok, 3DS is not doing all that well too. And there may be 4 Mario names in that list but they are all VERY different from one another and you know it. You specifically said that the 3DS feels like a toy, why don't you tell me why it is a toy to you? Why is the screen shit to you? Please explain instead of just trashing the 3DS. It just comes off as you being the one with blinders.

I dislike the design of the system. It feels clunky, and lacks the sleek design of the DSi. Having the home/select/start buttons under a crappy membrane feels cheap, the top screen has a yellow tint, scratches when closed, and makes DS games look like dog poop. As one who has no interest in 3d, I feel like I am stuck playing on a subpar screen due to a feature that I have no interest in. The system just screams "first revision" that will likely look as bad as the original DS did when its revision arrived.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I dislike the design of the system. It feels clunky, and lacks the sleek design of the DSi. Having the home/select/start buttons under a crappy membrane feels cheap, the top screen has a yellow tint, scratches when closed, and makes DS games look like dog poop. As one who has no interest in 3d, I feel like I am stuck playing on a subpar screen due to a feature that I have no interest in. The system just screams "first revision" that will likely look as bad as the original DS did when its revision arrived.
I agree, though I'm not sure why you're choosing to explain yourself to EvilDick34, who in a scary display of corporate loyalty seems to be taking your opinions on their hardware personally. :p

I agree, though I'm not sure why you're choosing to explain yourself to EvilDick34, who in a scary display of corporate loyalty seems to be taking your opinions on their hardware personally. :p

Ha! Well said. :D

I could have sworn this was a sales thread.

Sorry for the thread derail.

Back on topic: How long can the Vita continue to bomb like this before developer support totally dries up?

rpmurphy

I have honestly not seen any that interest me for the 3DS. The DS had a few, but at this point the 3DS's third party library doesn't do anything for me.

Square has that beautiful RPG coming though. That combined with Animal Crossing will force me to buy one again.
Well, that part depends on your interests. I like a lot of the traditional genres and game styles, so the DS was really good for me, having brought a lot of turn-based JRPG's, dungeon RPG's, roguelikes, strategy games, simulation games, puzzle games, and many other stuff to the table. 3DS isn't quite there yet but there's some good stuff on the way I think.

fact is, vita's game selection is downright terrible right now. Like it or not, there isn't a must have a game at all.

this is worse than PS3's first 1 & 1/2 years on the market. Vita needs its MGS4 saviour!

Pokemon wouldn't provide a big bump if it wasn't for the fact that NSMB is coming out soon after. People with or without a DS that wants to buy Pokemon will consider getting a 3DS for it and NSMB only helps make that decision.

Ofcourse we know the 5M or so fans should already have a DS for B&W, but there's always new fans. As an old fan, there's no better time than now to make the jump to the 3DS, there are features for the game thats only on the 3DS.

Also, DS numbers are virtually nonexistant.

So all you had to say was that you're a Sony fan.

Oh and the 3DS looks fine for a first revision, you're not going to see a stark difference in looks like you did with the DS to DSL redesign.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
fact is, vita's game selection is downright terrible right now. Like it or not, there isn't a must have a game at all.

this is worse than PS3's first 1 & 1/2 years on the market. Vita needs its MGS4 saviour!
It's a slow starter for sure... My killer app was Motorstorm RC, though I can see why it's not a title with huge mass appeal :p I've enjoyed Rayman (though not exclusive) and SSD too.

Anyway - I know Sony mentioned at some point they were doing a 'slow launch' to the hardcore nerds then branching out to the general public. Was this something they said 'post-slow-sales' or something that was always the case from the beginning? I'm intrigued as to whether they're just inept, or they have actual roadmap for it to pick up later on.

am i the only one whi thinks its absurd that someone could like pixeljunk monsters and not like mario and zelda? I mean, honestly....

am i the only one whi thinks its absurd that someone could like pixeljunk monsters and not like mario and zelda? I mean, honestly....

I'd probably get sick of PJ Monsters by the 8th or 9th variation on it as well. ;) I used to love those series, but I just got a little tired of them after awhile. They are still good series, I've just played enough of them for my personal taste.

Its also fine to play Disgaea for the 900th time but not Mario games.

I only played one Disgaea game.

So all you had to say was that you're a Sony fan.

Oh and the 3DS looks fine for a first revision, you're not going to see a stark difference in looks like you did with the DS to DSL redesign.

Not really a huge Sony fan. Spent more time playing my 360 this generation to be honest. When asked about portable gaming outside of Nintendo, Sony is really the only other option. The majority of the games I listed were third party games at that. :)

And as for the future revisions, none of us know what it will look like.....

It feels clunky? DSi is better design? It practically is the same design as the DSi minus the slidepad?!!! I have NEVER seen a yellow tint on my 3D screen. Mine has never scratched on the top screen, then again i take care of my stuff. At least the 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, can't even say that about the PSV and PSP, right?

The problem with Pokemon is that it sells so damn much that we don't have that many points of reference.

I can't see it not making a splash in the 3DS sales though. Even a very small percentage of that 2.5 million is going to give us a substantial bump to the 3DS, relative to past weeks. It just sells so much that some fraction of the user-base will find the 3DS stuff interesting.

I can't imagine Nintendo is interested in the DS at all, even in a "flush the marketplace" sort of angle. They have been so aggressive with the 3DS, I don't see them stopping soon. If there's going to be a bundle, it's going to be a 3DS with the Poke-apps pre-installed.

???!!!!??!?!?!?

There's no use questioning subjective taste. Not only does it waste time in sales threads, but it also leads to circular logic.

donny2112

A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(

Some people mentioned earlier that with the iOS taking a lot of gaming space in the portable arena, there might just only be left room for one dedicated portable. Therefore, 3DS isn't alone. No worries about lack of competition causing stagnation ...

Oh.

donny2112

Well, if the question is what kinds of games to play on a portable, if Vita support completely dries up, those games will come to the 3DS. Since he's getting a 3DS for AC, anyways, that should make him happy on a game-playing level. Can't really do anything about the power part, though.

On the lack of 3DS games in the U.S., does anyone think that Xseed's strategy of doing digital-only releases could result in more of those niche Japanese games coming out in the U.S. and/or even some NCL games that NOA passes on localizing? If that happens, Xseed could just become a much-loved publisher in the portable arena. Maybe even bring Retro Game Challenge 2 as an eShop release!
Nah. :(

Erethian

Well, if the question is what kinds of games to play on a portable, if Vita support completely dries up, those games will come to the 3DS. Since he's getting a 3DS for AC, anyways, that should make him happy on a game-playing level. Can't really do anything about the power part, though.

On the lack of 3DS games in the U.S., does anyone think that Xseed's strategy of doing digital-only releases could result in more of those niche Japanese games coming out in the U.S. and/or even some NCL games that NOA passes on localizing? If that happens, Xseed could just become a much-loved publisher in the portable arena. Maybe even bring Retro Game Challenge 2 as an eShop release!
Nah. :(

Yeah, I think we'll see an uptick in localisation of niche Japanese games now that Nintendo has finally embraced digital downloads. Also agree with your earlier post that Apple will provide plenty of competition for 3DS, even if the Vita dies. Especially in the area of the eShop and the impetus to constantly improve it.

Speaking of which, it will be interesting to see how much eShop games can boost the sales of a system when Pokemon Black/White 2 launches. It could be minimal, or it could be relatively significant. Probably leaning towards the former at this point.

mujun

Some people mentioned earlier that with the iOS taking a lot of gaming space in the portable arena, there might just only be left room for one dedicated portable. Therefore, 3DS isn't alone. No worries about lack of competition causing stagnation ...

I was going to say this, thanks!

Burai

shitonmychest57
So damn sad to see the Vita dying. A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(

But the Vita landscape is barren and empty. If it dies you're missing out on nothing.

Nothing is happening here that isn't thoroughly deserved. Expensive hardware, no system sellers at launch, no third party support and a platform holder that treats its handhelds like an afterthought.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I haven't any doubt the apps, especially the AR one, will help 3DS receiving a boost from Pokemon. Not so great, but we'll see the increase. In Japan. But I'm wondering what will happen here in the West. Certainly, having NSMB2 being released before Pokemon helps A LOT.

impact

Banned
But the Vita landscape is barren and empty. If it dies you're missing out on nothing.

Nothing is happening here that isn't thoroughly deserved. Expensive hardware, no system sellers at launch, no third party support and a platform holder that treats its handhelds like an afterthought.
Missing out on nothing? The hardware is incredible and shits on 3DS in every single aspect. It's just missing some good games, but the potential is there.

you are basically saying sony should step out of the handheld arena, alltogether.

They failed, game over.

Been saying this for a while, but yes - they should.

There's really no need for the Vita from a consumer perspective. And arguably the handheld developers would be better served with a single platform to develop for -- then again, I think they pretty much already see it that way.

Their financials are in shambles, and the PS4 is far more critical to Sony's longterm goals than the Vita is.

We've seen 3 straight platforms out of Sony now that don't have a clear direction, that don't have a clear message. PSP, PS3, and Vita were all poorly planned in a lot of ways, and their bottom line has taken the hit.

They clearly can't support both the Vita and the PS3 and the PS4, so they should make the right call and just cut the Vita.

you are basically saying sony should step out of the handheld arena, alltogether.

They failed, game over.

Lots of people were already suggesting this before the Vita was publicly revealed, and in retrospect the people doing so had a pretty good point.

So damn sad to see the Vita dying. A 3DS only portable landscape is not a good thing. :(

Good thing we won't have a 3DS-only landscape even if (when?) Vita disappears.

vareon

*Hangs head in shame D:

I still maintain that it's not a question of taste, the guy straight up trolled with the usual Nintendo Stereotyping.

Notice the words "dislike" and "feel" in his posts. The guy did his best to convey that all he's saying is subjective, no need to challenge his opinions about how he feel.

Still thinking that Vita will be saved with a clear long-term plan and not just a sudden wave of announcements and/or price drops. Question is whether Sony can afford Vita bleeding for a long time.

Truth101

Banned
Missing out on nothing? The hardware is incredible and shits on 3DS in every single aspect. It's just missing some good games, but the potential is there.
So it would be like having an expensive T.V. that can't show any content.Sure it is nice to look at and imagine how glorious the content would look like,but my cheaper albiet not as nice T.V. will serve me well as it actually has viewable content.

Sony would have been better off developing games for the 3DS if things continue this way for the VITA.

Top Bottom