• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

casiopao

The only big titles that could have a chance to come out for Switch this year and haven't been announced yet are Pokemon and/or Smash. Whatever else is shown won't make it before 2018 so there is nothing that could be a surprise for 2017 as far as first party or even third party games go that can make the difference. Same goes for PS4 and 3DS with things being even more clear there. There can be good estimates for hardware and software YTD sales after E3.

Chris, i think there are chances for Animal Crossing Switch to come out this year actually.

Nintendo mentioned that Animal Crossing mobile is coming this year right? They usually had some product released together/close to the mobile release before.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The only bad thing about the Switch's lineup is that it's too good.

That and not really having much stock overall, at least in Japan. I just hope they are able to produce a lot more Switches before the big titles release.

I thought the Asian version is PS4 exclusive?

Not sure why they would align it with that.

Hey, I'm happy to be wrong on that one.

On a serious note I don't think theres any overcrowding in regards to Switch's schedule, yet.

Have Switch #s come out yet for the West? Or are we talking about Western sales on PS4?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Animal Crossing got an update on 3DS recently and is a title that can carry a holiday season alone. There is no way it's coming this year. Since Switch follows 3DS pattern so far it's likely a late 2018 game.

Xbro

Animal Crossing is definitely a 2018 thing. I could see it being march, but also see it being holiday if they have nothing else.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I can see Animal Crossing Switch be the first console game in the series they release worldwide at the same time - so around Summer 18. This will be expected after AC Mobile hitting WW this Fall. Pikmin 4 is probably a Spring 18 unless they feel the need to get it out this year..doubt it though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Now, time to comment on MHXX Nintendo Switch Version.

First of all, something that I'll try to tell in the most posed and relax-HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FAST.
Yeah, what really surprises me about this announcement is the short time gap between the 3DS version's release date and today's announcement, slightly more than 2 months. That's way less than what happened for former HD ports (MHP3rd HD Version was announced in June 2011, 6-7 months circa later than the original's release; MH3G HD Version saw its unveiling back in September 2012, around 10 months later than MH3G's release on 3DS). Tomorrow is also when we'll get additional details, including a release date; this means it's the kind of announcement that can have effects on sales of the original release quite soon. This quick timing comes as a huge surprise to me.

Second, let's repost that crazy rumour from 4chan, yeah the one from a few months ago, via MrPointy's summary of what appeared by tracing back the chain of post on 4chan (the criteria is explained several posts back in that thread)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=222596555&postcount=828

- Sony signed a deal with Capcom last year for MH5 on PS4/PC, specifically excluding Switch. A lot like the SFV contract excludes XBO. Sony paid a lot.
- MH5 is an open-world game aimed at Westerners, with a lot of streamlined gameplay - no timer, no missions, less gathering and prep, more action based, QTEs, less complicated and fewer weapons. 2018.
- Someone at Capcom leaked the deal to Nintendo. Nintendo have been quiet.
- MHX did way better in Japan and the West than Capcom expected, causing a bunch of people at Capcom to panic.
- A bunch of people at Capcom are worried MH5 for PS4 is being rushed out with too little content (monsters, weapons, balance) and will bomb like SFV.
- MH Portable series is getting resurrected for Switch, headed by main MH team, because Capcom don't expect MH5 to do well in Japan. Traditional MH game - new weapons and environmental stuff, some elements from MHX. 2018.
- MHXX is getting a Switch port to set up for Portable.

While the dramatical elements could've been exaggerated, I don't think we can completely ignore it given how one of the listed points (MHXX on Switch) has just happened. Especially considering how Capcom stated that MHXX Switch is NOT the secret big IP game slated for the current FY.

Ōkami;238155585 said:
The digital age is over.

USODA.gif~original

Seriously though, I hope they'll be posted soon

goldage

Banned
it's kind of surprising capcom announces mh xx now when the release date is likely september, this will be detrimental to the 3ds version's legs, unless we're getting the game in like 2 weeks?

Rodin

Not that i believe this rumor (would Capcom really say no to all the money they could make on Nintendo platforms just to get some cash upfront from Sony?), but if that's MH5 i don't even want it, despite having two platforms that can run it (PC and PS4 Pro). Also using the "Portable" denomination for the "real" MH from the main MH team would be immensely stupid from a marketing standpoint. Switch is also a hybrid device, both portable and home, so the name doesn't even make sense.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Not that i believe this rumor, but if that's MH5 i don't even want it, despite having two platforms that can run it (PC and PS4 Pro). Also using the "Portable" denomination for the "real" MH from the main MH team would be immensely stupid from a marketing standpoint.

I'm starting to believe it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I have a hard time believing that Sony would pay much money to Capcom for having MH5 exclusive - they didnt even pay for it to get it on Vita and now they are opening the wallets for a version that will sell less ?

I also dont think Capcom has the ressources to develop MH5 Hollywood Action edition and a tradtional Switch version - in addition to their RE/SF/McV plans and DMC.

Is this rumored PS4 MH5 developed by a outside dev team ?

Bringing the "Portable" series back in Switch when the system is a hybrid and many /western) people will play it on the big screen doesnt sound too smart. MH5 being on Switch and the Hollywood Action game being a spin-off would make more sense.

I can't completely rule out the 4chan rumor, but I will say that if true, that would be one of the most blatantly stupid business decisions a Japanese third party has made in a long, long time.

Mpl90

Nintendo eShop Charts - as of May 26th, 2017, 17:27 GMT {2017.05.12 - 2017.05.26}
New entries are bolded

Japan

01. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Mojang/Microsoft)
02. SnipperClips: Cut it out together! (Nintendo)
03. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo)
04. Battle Sports Mekuru (Over Pence)
05. Thumper (Droll LLC)
06. Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Capcom)
07. Kamiko (Circle)
08. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)
09. Dark Witch Music Episode: Rudymical (Circle)
10. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
11. World of Goo (Tomorrow Corporation)
12. ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98 (Hamster)
11. Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates/Sunsoft)
12. ACA NeoGeo: The King of Fighters '98
13. ACA NeoGeo: Metal Slug 3 (Hamster)
14. ACA NeoGeo: Garou: Mark of the Wolves (Hamster)
15. Blaster Master Zero (Inti Creates/Sunsoft)

Passose

Banned
lots of those leaks were corrected though, I'm starting to believe that stupid idea is going to happen after all, let's wait and see

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can't completely rule out the 4chan rumor, but I will say that if true, that would be one of the most blatantly stupid business decisions a Japanese third party has made in a long, long time.

Well, honestly: looking at the rumor, it does make sense to me.
it's not that they are ruling out Jpan/portable at all: they are splitting the series "alienating" it only for the West, looking for a growth there with different key aspects, paid by an hardware house to partially fund the game (using engines already running on that very succesfull hardware), while continuing "banking" on the safest side of things with a portable "normal" titles on a console that is also portable, and probably succesfull in Japan

Passose

Banned
tbh,labeling the main series as "portable" and letting a generic hollywood action rpg replacing it as the main series is more of an insult to the monster hunter series than ever

Rodin

Bringing the "Portable" series back in Switch when the system is a hybrid and many /western) people will play it on the big screen doesnt sound too smart. MH5 being on Switch and the Hollywood Action game being a spin-off would make more sense.

This is what i was thinking as well, although in the scenario where Sony paid money to get the MH series on their platform, they'd want the main series (unless they specifically paid for a spin off, even an AAA one, but that's not what the rumor suggests).

There's also another thing that sounds off:

Capcom: "Hey Nintendo, RAM is too low on Switch, care to upgrade that to a more acceptable amount?"
Nintendo: "Sure, here's 4GB"
Capcom: "Ok thanks for listening, enjoy MH exclusively on PS4 now. Bye idiots!"

I really wouldn't understand why would Sony pay that much money for MH5 exclusivity?
That wouldn't make sense especially when they could have done that on Vita?
I'm sill thinking it will be PS4/Switch and maybe PC down the line.

This is a more believable scenario, yeah.

EDIT: the timing also makes me think if this is that "third party partner game" Nintendo asked to be released quickly (i was thinking to either MH or DQXI).

I really wouldn't understand why would Sony pay that much money for MH5 exclusivity?

Chris, i think there are chances for Animal Crossing Switch to come out this year actually.

Nintendo mentioned that Animal Crossing mobile is coming this year right? They usually had some product released together/close to the mobile release before.

I'd guess first half 2018.

Also those people were busy making Splatoon 2.

Animal Crossing and Splatoon are made by different teams, although they're both under Nogami. Splatoon was done by a different group of people than New Leaf/Happy Home Designer were, so Splatoon 2 shouldn't have too much of an effect on Animal Crossing Switch's production schedule.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
but that person got the date of the direct, and the name xx( which is called double cross), both of them are hard to guess, especially the double cross

Also the person leaking is a secondhand source.

1477622794517.jpg

The XX switch port doesn't seem to actually be mentioned.

Spiegel

Sony is that desperate to pay Capcom a lot of money to make an streamlined MH, locking out the Switch, but at the same time the main team can make a traditional MH game.

Who is making the PS4 game?
Because even on 3DS, hundreds of people worked on MH4.

The rumor doesn't make any sense.

Alrus

So Sony is desperate for Japan sales but is locking an exclusive that would not sell well in Japan? That doesn't make any sense.

Tamanator

Putting the tinfoil hat on, perhaps Sony are desperate in ensuring that the PS4 is a success in Japan. Securing MH in theory would give them an edge in the market, which is currently one of the weakest when it comes to PS4 sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Putting the tinfoil hat on, perhaps Sony are desperate in ensuring that the PS4 is a success in Japan. Securing MH in theory would give them an edge in the market, which is currently one of the weakest when it comes to PS4 sales.

Console MH don't sell particularly well in Japan. MH wouldn't actually do anything to change the PS4 fortunes in Japan and I'm pretty sure Sony would know this.

The switch port of XX isn't actually mentioned anywhere in the rumour the thread. I assume that was a case of chinese whispers.

L~A

So wait, Sony is "rumoured" to have signed a deal NOT to get exclusivity for a game, but to prevent a competitor from getting it? Oh boy, ha ha ha 😂

When a rumour sounds like pure fanboy drivel, you know where it belongs.

schuelma

I don't necessarily think Sony bought MH5, but I absolutely think a Western-styled MH is coming to the platform.

I don't necessarily think Sony bought MH5, but I absolutely think a Western-styled MH is coming to the platform.

What leads you to think this, other than the 4chan rumor from last year?

(the "Western-styled" part, not PS4, which I agree has a very good chance of happening in the future)

schuelma

What leads you to think this, other than the 4chan rumor from last year?

(the "Western-styled" part, not PS4, which I agree has a very good chance of happening in the future)

Capcom's statements, the movie coming out. Just seems like something they would try.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Oh boy if MH5 is a PS4 exclusive haha

According to that rumour it wouldn't be PS4 exclusive but cross platform. Which makes it seem highly unlikely (because why would anyone pay for something that's not console exclusive considering the game won't sell all the much in Japan).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The 4chan rumour said XX would be at Switch launch which if obviously incorrect.
At which point because in the thread it's mentioned in it's not stated so that facet must have been a in a different thread (best case scenario by the same guy but it coud easily be a different guy).

Passose

Banned
I'm fine with MH5 being a ps4 exclusive though, but imagine if I'm a ps4-only user,hoping for a true console monster hunter only to receive a generic open world action game with a monster hunter name being put on, that's just................. ugh

Capcom's statements, the movie coming out. Just seems like something they would try.

It would have been a lot more plausible earlier this decade, when they were in their peak westaboo phase.

After their various failures from that initiative, though, I would think they would have enough sense to conclude that simply taking the series multiplatform is likely to be more effective, not to mention less expensive, than chasing after AAA design trends.

Mpl90

Yoru no Nai Kuni 2 (Nights of Azure 2) finally gets a release date after a long delay. It's coming out on August 31, 2017 for PS4 and Vita. No info about Switch version though, maybe it'll be announced in the next Nintendo Direct.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01KWYZPS0/
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01KWYZQUC/

I think there's no official announcement from Koei Tecmo about Nights of Azure 2's release date yet, but it'll probably happen pretty soon if this Amazon.co.jp's leak stands. Also, I don't think we can say anything about whether the Switch version releases at the same time for a specific reason: there's no Switch version available to preorder yet. The PS4 and PSV SKUs are on Amazon because preorders for both were opened long ago, when the first release date was announced. We'll have to wait for an official announcement to see if the Switch version comes out at the same time as the others.

Shrug. At this point it doesn't even matter. You're gonna get a ground up MH on the Switch at some point. It's going to vastly outsell the PS4 in the series prime market. There is mo reason to think the series wont be relevant on Switch.

To me MH5 PS4 exclusive is just Capcom not knowing what they are doing but that's different from meltdown territory. Like Gaf will meltdown and shit but it wont be a big deal because with XX Switch you know the system is gonna get new MH games.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Yall need to stop with the Pokemon Stars for 2017 predictions, it's not happening. The Switch lineup for the rest of the year was already packed before the MHXX announcement.

Just staph.

But I can see the game being released for the Q4 of the 2017 FY though.

But the rumor specifically says that the PS4 MH would be designed for the west in mind, with the Switch getting the traditional MH that is popular in Japan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
But the rumor specifically says that the PS4 MH would be designed for the west in mind, with the Switch getting the traditional MH that is popular in Japan.

The rumour contradicts itself. Why Sony be desperate for Japan enough to pay to exclude the switch while getting a western focused MH that's not even exclusive to the PS4 while the switch gets a portable version. Paying good money for this too.

Makes Sony look like total idiots.

Top Bottom