• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2017 (May 15 - May 21)

Passose

Banned
But the rumor specifically says that the PS4 MH would be designed for the west in mind, with the Switch getting the traditional MH that is popular in Japan.
but the thing is Sony desperately for Japan is what the leaks said, maybe they want to try to use the brand to sell the ps4 and that "monster hunter" game, that can be real. With the modern capcom, anything can happen

Maxinas

People still believe in that rumor? Yeeshh. The "Sony paid for MH5 to not be released in the Switch" part killed it for me. Is Sony really that petty? Wouldn't make sense to let xbox or PC have MH as well, makes it sound like Sony has a personal grudge on Nintendo, a fanboys tale.

I wonder if Capcom knows MH isn't very popular in the West due to the 3DS not being very popular in the West amd the games only really getting good at Tri. It like, has very little to do with the games themselves. Yeah the format and structure needs so work but grindy weird ass semi loot games are popular in the West even with shitty streamlining.

A Western focused MH seems so dumb.

Zedark

I wonder if Capcom knows MH isn't very popular in the West due to the 3DS not being very popular in the West amd the games only really getting good at Tri. It like, has very little to do with the games themselves. Yeah the format and structure needs so work but grindy weird ass semi loot games are popular in the West even with shitty streamlining.

If that were the case, I would think the games would have sold equal amounts in US and in Japan, since 3DS sales are almost equal. It's not that simple.

SgtCobra

Sony will not become popular in Japan anymore, I cannot see it happening. The market has shifted to mobile platforms, Nintendo has the luck of having a good portfolio of first party franchises which appeal to the Japanese market, on top of that they also have a history with certain devs/publishers which make the most populair third party franchises in Japan.
Sony on the other hand has no first party franchises with the selling power of Splatoon, Mario or Pokémon for example, some of their third party exclusive offerings are decent but they're nowhere near close tothe likes of MH or Yo-Kai Watch.
And let's not forget the impending danger of Sony losing their exclusive third party support to the Switch as the Vita is dying and the PS4 is not attractive enough for the Japanese market.

All this talk about Sony trying to conquer Japan or something like that would be a waste of time for them if that's their main goal. They simply cannot compete with Nintendo in the portable market compared to the home console market,the Switch is both so they're getting hits from both sides right now basically. I'm not saying they should totally give up but what I'm basically saying is that they're better off trying to stay competitive instead of trying to be the best because with their current system offering it is not possible in Japan.

Oregano

Capcom's statements, the movie coming out. Just seems like something they would try.

I still wouldn't rule out that the rather comments about being held back by being handheld and having related plans were about Switch. They must have known what angle Nintendo was playing.

I'd still bet multiplatform is most likely though.

Monster Hunter XX for switch was quite predictable
Here is my top 10 prediction for this year i made a couple threads ago.

01. [SWI] Splatoon 2 - 3.235.333
02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI - 2.377.001
03. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 1.844.724
04. [SWI] Pokémon Star - 1.361.222
05. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI - 1.268.789
06. [3DS] Pokémon Star - 1.061.222
07. [SWI] Monster Hunter XXG - 828.828
08. [SWI] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 986.925
09. [SWI] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 793.726
10. [SWI] Super Mario Oddysey - 652.002

I wouldn't trust the rumour based on that at least.

If that were the case, I would think the games would have sold equal amounts in US and in Japan, since 3DS sales are almost equal. It's not that simple.

There is more to it obviously but even though the 3DS is unit for unit between the US and Japan it isn't the primary gaming device in the West. Japan sees much more software launch and more of it is focused to their tastes. You get a synergy effect there.

MH isn't gonna top its Japanese sales in the West but the games don't need to be Westerned up because right now I think the sales are more platform preference limited than design limited.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
People still believe in that rumor? Yeeshh. The "Sony paid for MH5 to not be released in the Switch" part killed it for me. Is Sony really that petty? Wouldn't make sense to let xbox or PC have MH as well, makes it sound like Sony has a personal grudge on Nintendo, a fanboys tale.

The fact that sony paid to keep it off switch but allow the other "HD twins" be able to get i sounds like a person who wants monster hunter to be this big AAA game with high production values and detailed out the ass graphics and scoffs at the idea of playing something on a nintendo console(but doing so anyways cause he has to play his monster hunter)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
With RE7 and MHXX Capcom has showed inabilitty to make logical and expected steps so nothing can surprise me anymore.

I can just imagine Japanese retailers when Splatoon will launch
0eyXMQm5-wFQfKdK3EhGlAhAceE=.gif

hiska-kun

Maya-san is reporting stronger sales than expected for the "remakes" Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (PS4) and Ultra Street Fighter II (NSW).

Nyoro SF

So wait, Sony is "rumoured" to have signed a deal NOT to get exclusivity for a game, but to prevent a competitor from getting it? Oh boy, ha ha ha 😂

When a rumour sounds like pure fanboy drivel, you know where it belongs.

Such deals have happened before, though I would imagine that Capcom could command an extremely high price from Sony in such a scenario.

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE JUNE 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from May 29 to Jun 25):

[PS4] Tekken 7 (25 days) - 108k
[NSW] Seiken Densetsu Collection (25 days) - 60k
[NSW] Arms (10 days) - 142k

ksamedi

What were sf5 numbers in Japan? I think Street fighter 2 could gain word of mouth and sell pretty decently. Its one of those games that attracts lapsed gamers.

Eolz

IIRC, MH3G was first announced in Famitsu. MH4 was announced with an in-game teaser at a 3DS press event a week or so later.

That was around TGS though, wasn't it?
I'd be surprised if 5 was teased before TGS this year.

Maya-san is reporting stronger sales than expected for the "remakes" Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev 2 (PS4) and Ultra Street Fighter II (NSW).

That's good to hear. Wonder what was "expected". Rev deserved better.

edit:
What were sf5 numbers in Japan? I think Street fighter 2 could gane word of mouth and sell pretty decently. Its one of those games that attracts lapsed gamers.
100k LTD apparently, 46k FW.
Xrd Rev did 37k FW and 65k LTD on two platforms. Sign did 48k FW, 66k LTD.

(both according to GameDataLibrary anyway)

Shengar

The CEO acknowledge that MH potential growth in the west is hampered by platform. His comment became the base argument that MH 5 will become multiplatform at the very least. I still view this as reasonable.

When the rumor extends to not just include exclusivity but also "Western focused" reformula is where The CEO comment as base argument become ridiculous. His comments didn't mention anything about it being unacceptable or hindering MH's own growth for the west. Why should they spend extra cash when the old formula worked just fine? Capcom is stupid but MH Team holds special position within the company so they might be different.

Takao

Banned
I doubt a PS4 exclusive Monster Hunter game would even move a million units in Japan. At the peak of the IP's popularity, it only moved a shade above a million on a platform far more accommodating to mainstream software than PS4.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

Has the PS4 outsold the 3DS in the US yet? The PS4 has a bit to go right (it'll eventually get there if it hasn't already)? Given that MH4U outsold MH3U by 3 times or so, I wouldn't necessarily say the 3DS is completely holding it back. There is some potential by also putting it on a console for the West, but pretending like it's going to be a night and day difference is probably overestimating the 3DS's negative impact.

Yay USFII will outsell I am Setsuna on Switch now xD.

horuhe

ARMS is getting boosts on the hourly ranking on Rakuten. We have two hours since the Testpunch started and there is quite a good amount of people playing. The triple battle seems boring, though.

Branduil

ARMS is getting boosts on the hourly ranking on Rakuten. We have two hours since the Testpunch started and there is quite a good amount of people playing. The triple battle seems boring, though.

I'm a believer in ARMS sales after the testpunch.

ggx2ac

I was not surprised that Monster Hunter XX for Switch would come out in August, the only other game during that period if it releases simultaneously in Japan is Mario+Rabbids.

Mario + Rabbids and MHXX coming out in the same month does work.

MHXX is still a HD port of a 3DS game, so its wider appeal is somewhat limited in the West.

Top Bottom