• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
What do people expect from Pokken Switch by the way? Do people think that the WiiU held back the sales potential a lot?

Given Mario Kart 8 Deluxe performance thus far or something like Mario Maker 3DS? I'd say Pokken DX has the potential to do better than the Wii U version. I don't think it'll be crazy like those 2, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 200K.

My, how Tekken has faded.

Sadly yeh. I guess if anything the Japanese market is showing traditional 2D fighters just aren't all that popular anymore. The fighters that do better do something different. We'll see how ARMs does, but it's definitely something very different in terms of the fighting genre.

noshten

It has always been taboo to mix trackers, especially without noting it as you originally did. You don't know the methodology of either tracker. It is quite likely Media Create includes some sort of digital estimate in their sales number and Famitsu breaks it out into the separate charts.

Some one else who is more knowledgeable on the matter probably could elaborate a bit more than I can.

Mixing trackers in terms of physical sales sure - digital estimates isn't anything I'm too fussed about. I could say all physically released Switch games have 10% digital attach rate and I'd probably end up on average as right as Famitsu Digital Estimates.
Quite likely isn't gospel and I very much doubt other trackers include any sort of digital estimates in their sales numbers because they would have disclosed such a thing.

Pokken's the reason. So is Xenoverse. If your narrative is only Smash doing well means the genre's dead, but you and I can both name other fighters that are also doing well, that means you need a new narrative. Simple.

Capcom stumbled with SF and Namco with Tekken. VF is dead and buried, KOF hasn't been a leading seller in 3 generations now. It's not the 90s anymore but that doesn't mean the genre is dead because the top sellers are different.

I don't see how you can talk out of both sides of your mouth like that when saying Pokken is fine and Tekken stumbled.

Calm Mind

Im baffled as to why you keep citing information why it wont sell 4 million, the thought itself is impossible.

No console has ever sold that much in a year in Japan.

And this is isnt the early 2000's. There is a huge contrast in home console sales now.

The Switch would have to sell at insane proportions in a weekly basis for that to even be feasible, which means selling more than the PS2 and Wii did on a weekly basis in their peak. Which is an impossible feat with the status of japan's console market today.

What part of demand is there but supply is not don't you comprehend?

Mixing trackers in terms of physical sales sure - digital estimates isn't anything I'm too fussed about. I could say all physically released Switch games have 10% digital attach rate and I'd probably end up on average as right as Famitsu Digital Estimates.
Quite likely isn't gospel and I very much doubt other trackers include any sort of digital estimates in their sales numbers because they would have disclosed such a thing.

There is a long history behind this and it lead to the formation of VG Chartz (which is banned on GAF) and ioi getting banned.

casiopao

Whats hard to understand that Tekken is considered stumbled as it shows that they are declining for each release and shows no sign of stopping.

While Pokken is considered successful as even with Wii U limiting its potential sales, it still did a respectful number for a new fighting game IP even when it had Pokemon IP attached.

And i don't understand how u call fighting game genre is dying when we already see that Pokken, Xenoverse and Smash all did really well. Now, if ARMS come out and also did great, will you also call the genre is dead?

Snakeyes

Sadly yeh. I guess if anything the Japanese market is showing traditional 2D fighters just aren't all that popular anymore. The fighters that do better do something different. We'll see how ARMs does, but it's definitely something very different in terms of the fighting genre.

Tekken is a 3D fighter. You mean traditional fighters in general?

Kandinsky

So the SD collection was almost at 30k...ugh.

05./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 12.263 / 1.502.606 (+10%)
what happened to this?

Just Capcom being smart with that 3DS->Switch progress transfer.

Fularu

Banned
Whats hard to understand that Tekken is considered stumbled as it shows that they are declining for each release and shows no sign of stopping.

While Pokken is considered successful as even with Wii U limiting its potential sales, it still did a respectful number for a new fighting game IP even when it had Pokemon IP attached.

And i don't understand how u call fighting game genre is dying when we already see that Pokken, Xenoverse and Smash all did really well. Now, if ARMS come out and also did great, will you also call the genre is dead?
It will be dead because Nintendo doesn't count and has no value.

Afaik Pokken WiiU was close to a million seller worldwide.

Edit : by 2016 Pokken had outsold SFV in the US.

noshten

There is a long history behind this and it lead to the formation of VG Chartz (which is banned on GAF) and ioi getting banned.

There is probably also a long history behind not implying MC somehow estimates digital numbers as part of their official sale numbers.
There is a reason FDE is separated from the normal numbers reported - because those are estimates, VG Chartz also uses estimates. Neither numbers are correct and only Nintendo really knows the numbers on their digital storefront and they don't seem to be disclosing these numbers to anyone.

Fiendcode

Your posts aren't helping anything either.
I mean, do I really have to break this down for you?

Pokken released on Wii U, in 2016 when Nintendo had basically given up on the system and it missed out on nearly all the arcade updates. Despite that it still sold better than most of the 90s lumunaries you mentioned post-90s including SFIV, SSFIV, SFV, VF4 Evo, VF5, TTT2 and every KOF after 97. The game did okay, around 70k first week and an impressive 170k overall. And it would've done better if not limited by it's platform and lack of dlc.

Tekken 7 stumbled because it's a drop from the last couple series installments. Nearly half what T6 did and a little behind TTT2 as well.

This isn't "talking out both sides of my mouth". It's doing a deeper examination than simply throwing up my hands, proclaiming the genre dead, discounting any games that show otherwise and asking to have the obvious explained to me. Is that better?

30k for SDC is definitely more than I was expecting! It should be able to sell through its 50-75k shipment in the coming weeks easily, especially if Switch stock is increased for Arms. I bet USF2 could pull much better numbers than it is now if it was about half the price.

Switch at 23k is sad to see. Mostly because I know it could do much better if it weren't for the low stock. At least Mario Kart and Zelda are holding a very nice attach rate (the former should hit 500k next week, a first for a Switch game!).

Toni

What part of demand is there but supply is not don't you comprehend?

What part of demand not equaling 4 million sold in a year and unrealistically outselling the total of PS4's units sold in Japan in a year did you conviniently skipped tho?

CSNzGjb.gif

FTF

SD did great for an overpriced rom collection from a dead franchise. Tekken 7 is more disappointing than expected.

[PS1] Tekken 2 - 367,666 / 1,088,069
[PS1] Tekken 3 - 671,886 / 1,186,119
[PS2] Tekken 4 - 176,280 / 318,920
[PS2] Tekken 5 - 216,566 / 317,357
[PS3] Tekken 6 - 120,304 / 190,900
[360] Tekken 6 - 26,341 / 48,378
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 58,736
[XBO] Tekken 7 - 2,721 >

I believe 2-6 numbers are from Famitsu.

Man what's with that crazy drop from 3 to 4?? Tekken 3 is great so shouldn't 4 have benefitted. What were the #s for TTT on ps2?

Loris146

SD did great for an overpriced rom collection from a dead franchise. Tekken 7 is more disappointing than expected.

[PS1] Tekken 2 - 367,666 / 1,088,069
[PS1] Tekken 3 - 671,886 / 1,186,119
[PS2] Tekken 4 - 176,280 / 318,920
[PS2] Tekken 5 - 216,566 / 317,357
[PS3] Tekken 6 - 120,304 / 190,900
[360] Tekken 6 - 26,341 / 48,378
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 58,736
[XBO] Tekken 7 - 2,721 >

I believe 2-6 numbers are from Famitsu.

PS1 era was something else damn.

Passose

Banned
What part of demand not equaling 4 million sold in a year and outselling the total of PS4's units sold in Japan in a year did you conviniently skipped tho?

CSNzGjb.gif
you just compare the sales of the first 3 months of the ps4 against the sales of the first 3 months of the switch and you will get why there are people believing it will do 4 mil a year if they produce enough consoles

Good numbers for Seiken Densetsu collection, but not a big surprise, in my opinion. The Mario, Kirby and Dragon Quest collections all did very well. Seiken Densetsu isnt on the same level regarding popularity in comparison, but its not exactly an unknown serie either :)

Whats the point with the dissing?

The defintion of being a dead genre is kinda loose. I mean, Tekken 7 did nearly 60k. Isolated, that is still a fair share of copies. These games used to sell much more however, Tekken was once a million seller. Its also likely that games like Pokken would have sold much more many years ago.

What do people expect from Pokken Switch by the way? Do people think that the WiiU held back the sales potential a lot?
i think the potential is quite higher than what it did on wiiu mainly for being a pokemon spinoff on a console

Poor Tekken =( I'm really enjoying Tekken 7.
Man, I hope Nintendo is at least able to get a nice boost to the Switch stock with ARMS, this leveling out at around 25k a week sucks, but I know it's not really their fault.

Toni

you just compare the sales of the first 3 months of the ps4 against the sales of the first 3 months of the switch and you will get why there are people believing it will do 4 mil a year if they produce enough consoles

I get that portion of the argument, I really do.

But people tend to get little hostile when somebody poses an intervention towards a certain preferred way of thinking that people are cool with.

I have a 3DS, Im getting a Switch soon. While I usually support PS and PC mostly, Nintendo is always been in my circle since the Super Nintendo. Id love for Nintendo to have a homerun in a market thats predominant with the PlayStation brand, but we are dealing with very stricts detriments that the Japan console market poses.

Im down for Switch reaching 2 to 2 and half to 3 million (by holidays if we're lucky with Stock and a fierce Nintendo during the holiday period). But folks have been stating some serious feats for Switch lately that has me shook. Such as it doing 400k in USA every month and now doing the impossible, possible in Japan on a market has been single-handely shut down by Apple.

I get that is also portable and Switching back and forth between 2 markets, but as long Nintendo still has the 3DS out, giving it major games such as Pokemon and Monster Hunter, unveiling new hardware iterations for it (New Nintendo 3DS XL, New 2DS) and has Switch competing with it for portability, it wont be eating away from the handheld market as much as people would like it to be.

That plus recent stock issues and competition in the smartphone and console market (PS4 is set to have a crazy holidays this year) in Japan.

It will be bigger than the Wii U. A 100%.

But stating that it will be performing on par with the anomaly that was the Wii or even better, its in my opinion, slightly premature based in 2 successful months so far. And utilizing that metric for future performance is just super inconsistent.

Toni

Oh I just saw his one post lmfao

I couldnt reply to all those earlier posts arguing about this instensely on mobile, Im at work. Im constantly having to edit and re-edit stuff up. Its a nightmare.

But I felt like I needed to clarify where I stand given the number of posts.

Thats all folks. :]

Oregano

The market wasn't shut down by Apple.

The 3DS is the third most successful platform ever in Japan, or second if you split GB/GBC. It's more successful than any Playstation platform.

The PS4's performance doesn't reflect the full potential of the Japanese market because the PS4 doesn't have the support of Japan's biggest publisher. Nintendo already has announced more million sellers for Switch than PS4 will ever have.

EDIT: We only have to look at the Splatoon 2 Hype to know that Switch momentum won't slow down in Japan for at least a while.

I mean, do I really have to break this down for you?

Pokken released on Wii U, in 2016 when Nintendo had basically given up on the system and it missed out on nearly all the arcade updates. Despite that it still sold better than most of the 90s lumunaries you mentioned post-90s including SFIV, SSFIV, SFV, VF4 Evo, VF5, TTT2 and every KOF after 97. The game did okay, around 70k first week and an impressive 170k overall. And it would've done better if not limited by it's platform and lack of dlc.

Tekken 7 stumbled because it's a drop from the last couple series installments. Nearly half what T6 did and a little behind TTT2 as well.

This isn't "talking out both sides of my mouth". It's doing a deeper examination than simply throwing up my hands, proclaiming the genre dead, discounting any games that show otherwise and asking to have the obvious explained to me. Is that better?
Well you wrote more words so I'll give you credit for that. However I feel like you should take that extra time you took to be dismissive to me and actually further your own in depth examination. You've got the Street Fighter sales numbers wrong since if you just look at the top 100 sales for the year the xbox 360 copies would not show up there.

I also don't disagree that there is an obvious decline in the sales of Tekken, however it is entirely in line with how many copies other fighting games sell. It just shows that it's not immune to the overall declining sales of fighting games like any other.

Edit: Fighting games are pretty much dead still.

VariantX

Do you not know how big Tekken used to be?

Yeah, I remember when Tekken 3 came out to home consoles, everyone that had a PlayStation either had that game at launch, or ended up with it eventually. It was as popular then as smash would be today.

Fiendcode

Well you wrote more words so I'll give you credit for that. However I feel like you should take that extra time you took to be dismissive to me and actually further your own in depth examination. You've got the Street Fighter sales numbers wrong since if you just look at the top 100 sales for the year the xbox 360 copies would not show up there.

I also don't disagree that there is an obvious decline in the sales of Tekken, however it is entirely in line with how many copies other fighting games sell. It just shows that it's not immune to the overall declining sales of fighting games like any other.
Oh right, I should've specified leading versions. If you add 360 or 3DS ports then SFIV and SSSFIV sold more. Although that'll flip with Pokken Switch.

And we've moved from dead to declining! Congrats on your New Narrative!

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Id love for Nintendo to have a homerun in a market thats predominant with the PlayStation brand, but we are dealing with very stricts detriments that the Japan console market poses.

That plus recent stock issues and competition in the smartphone and console market (PS4 is set to have a crazy holidays this year) in Japan.
I'm fine with the part saying "it may be premature". I can see that point of view.

At the same time I feel like you're getting a couple of facts wrong. Japan is Nintendo's domain, not really Sony's. Nintendo's 1st party software sells close to 18-20% of the entire dedicated JP market each year (which doesn't even include Pokemon) and the 3DS alone outsold all the other consoles this gen combined easily (Wii U, Vita, & PS4). 3DS is also now the 3rd best selling console of all time in Japan, only behind the DS, the GB+GBC (both combined) at 23M.

I'm not sure why you're thinking the PS4 is going to have great holiday sales in Japan. The PS4 ironically has very little software announced for it this year by Japanese companies. DQ11 is awesome in July, but that's really it (hopefully E3 can change that). Last year it had a ton of things going for (Slim + Pro + VR + FFXV + Yakuza 6, etc.) and thus most folks here believe that will be its peak. Actually holidays typically help Nintendo consoles more, as it even lifted the Wii U to heights of over 100K sales in xmas week, something the PS4 hasn't actually quite done yet in xmas iirc.

Man what's with that crazy drop from 3 to 4?? Tekken 3 is great so shouldn't 4 have benefitted. What were the #s for TTT on ps2?

Hardware became more powerful so that you could make good looking games with more than two characters and barebone backgrounds.

Oh right, I should've specified leading versions. If you add 360 or 3DS ports then SFIV and SSSFIV sold more. Although that'll flip with Pokken Switch.

And we've moved from dead to declining! Congrats on your New Narrative!

Oh I am sorry, I can edit back to dead if it makes you feel better. Also it's hardly a difference of leading versions when it's released over a year later? It's definitely not a simultaneous launch either way.

-63% is a pretty good drop for Ys, right
That's like what I expected from the first week on the second
Much better than Tokyo Xanadu eX+'s severe drop in its second week, followed by Media Creates not even listing sales numbers for it. I bet Ys VIII PS4's already sold most of its stock, meaning Falcom's calculated this well. And including a promo artbook for Sen no Kiseki III plays into their hype cycle perfectly, getting more of their Kiseki buyers onto PS4 in turn.

If it contains Shining Force 3 (with every scenarios) I'd double dip instantly.
Plus the English fan translations, of course. There's no good reason why SEGA can't be nice and license those scripts, but of course Japan would have to make this call, which is why we're never getting a modern re-release of SFIII anyway.

Top Bottom