• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2017 (May 29 - Jun 04)

Fularu

Banned
Tekken 6 was 8 years ago, things have changed.
It's more of a value proposition than the landscape changing and fighting games beeing less relevant in japan.

Smash proves that the genre is alive and thriving in Japan if you offer people something of value.

Jamix012

So 3DS is still holding steady for a yoy advantage on 2016.

If they make 2m this year, they might make it to 25m... How many consoles have managed to sell that much in Japan?

Unfortunately the 3DS is destined to be 3rd place in terms of all time sales. The 30+ Million of the GB/GBC and DS are out of reach and it's already passed the PS1.

Oregano

Wow at those Seiken Densetsu numbers. Really strong performance.

Guess we can look forward to SD5
on PS4 mobile.

zeromcd73

SD did great for an overpriced rom collection from a dead franchise. Tekken 7 is more disappointing than expected.

[PS1] Tekken 2 - 367,666 / 1,088,069
[PS1] Tekken 3 - 671,886 / 1,186,119
[PS2] Tekken 4 - 176,280 / 318,920
[PS2] Tekken 5 - 216,566 / 317,357
[PS3] Tekken 6 - 120,304 / 190,900
[360] Tekken 6 - 26,341 / 48,378
[PS4] Tekken 7 - 58,736
[XBO] Tekken 7 - 2,721 >

I believe 2-6 numbers are from Famitsu.

Pinky

Banned
Ugh, I'm so frustrated with the Switch stock situation. I know it can't be solved at the snap of a finger, but this needs to get fixed.

Also, nice debut for SDC. I'm freakin' jealous. This game needs a western release. :(

SE should pull a Wii DQ release and get DQ 1-4 (FC versions) on a cart with no enhancements whatsoever and watch it sell 100k first week!

If they did this and released it in the west, I'd be there Day 1.

L~A

SE should pull a Wii DQ release and get DQ 1-4 (FC versions) on a cart with no enhancements whatsoever and watch it sell 100k first week!

I remember thinking they were going to have one ahead of DQXI, for the 30th Anniversary.... guess not.

05./04. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 12.263 / 1.502.606 (+10%)

1.5 million at retail. No impact from MHXX Switch yet, but too early for that I think.

Oh, just realised 1-2-Switch left the Top 20 for the first time since launch.

EDarkness

1.5 million at retail. No impact from MHXX Switch yet, but too early for that I think.

Well, I think the game will continue to sell because any progress you make can be transferred to the NS game. There's nothing really to lose by buying the game now to get a head start.

cheesekao

Well, I think the game will continue to sell because any progress you make can be transferred to the NS game. There's nothing really to lose by buying the game now to get a head start.
Having to double dip and suffering burn out earlier are things to be mindful of.

Deku89

Ugh, I'm so frustrated with the Switch stock situation. I know it can't be solved at the snap of a finger, but this needs to get fixed.

Also, nice debut for SDC. I'm freakin' jealous. This game needs a western release. :(

If they did this and released it in the west, I'd be there Day 1.
My guess, Switch will be low next week (20-25k), somewhat higher the next week (50k), lower for the next month (30k), then very high for Splatoon (80k). After that, maybe 50k for a couple of weeks, then back to 25k a week till holiday (with an occasional bump for a new game).

Zedark

My guess, Switch will be low next week (20-25k), somewhat higher the next week (50k), lower for the next month (30k), then very high for Splatoon (80k). After that, maybe 50k for a couple of weeks, then back to 25k a week till holiday (with an occasional bump for a new game).

Those aren't very good numbers imo. Would hope that as of ARMS week the baseline is consistently higher, and some heavy spikes for Splatoon 2 and MHXX, as well as elevated holiday numbers.

It's more of a value proposition than the landscape changing and fighting games beeing less relevant in japan.

Smash proves that the genre is alive and thriving in Japan if you offer people something of value.

One game doesn't make a genre, and doesn't make it alive.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Nintendo better have lot more than 80K systems for Splatoon 2 week.

deleted

DS and Gameboy/GBC I think.

It's in good company then.

It's absurd to think that Nintendo has 2 handhelds selling and manages to have more than solid line-ups for both of them. 2017 lineup for 3DS wouldn't be out of place for 2015 or 14.
They made the right call in supporting the system longer, especially considering the Switch shortages.

I suspect it can crawl to 1M, but it might need a Best Price or GOTY release, or something along those lines, to do so.

Has there been any word of digital numbers for it?

Doesn't need to crawl at all. Nintendo just needs to produce more switches. Its been selling between 35-45% attach rates for the last few weeks and is sitting above 600K for the combined versions. Even using a low attach rate of 30% for new buyers it would need to sell 1.33million more switches at that attach rate to reach 1M. While the low production numbers are scary for the switch, I find it hard to believe that they will sell less than another 1.33 million by the end of the holidays.

As expected, Tekken 7 numbers are putting some perspective about SFV performance. I thought Bandai Namco's game would be able to reach 80k honestly.

Fularu

Banned
One game doesn't make a genre, and doesn't make it alive.
Seeing how unlike other fighting games in Japan Smash sales increase with each new entry, I would say the value proposition theory holds more water than "this is an anomaly, the genre is dead".

EDarkness

Having to double dip and suffering burn out earlier are things to be mindful of.

Heh, yeah, but do players always make sense? I mean, as a player, I could easily see myself getting the 3DS version to "prepare" because I can transfer my save anyway. But by the time the NS version comes out I could be pretty tired of the game and not want to play it anymore so my goal of "preparing" backfired on me. I guess we'll see how it goes. But, thinking about my students in Japan, I could TOTALLY see them doing something like that. Heh, heh.

MTC100

Banned
Horrible Switch numbers, let's hope production catches on soon or this System will be one of the first that flops because their company didn't produce enough...

Nintendo better have lot more than 80K systems for Splatoon 2 week.

Everything below 150K seems disappointing at this point...

Deku89

Those aren't very good numbers imo. Would hope that as of ARMS week the baseline is consistently higher, and some heavy spikes for Splatoon 2 and MHXX, as well as elevated holiday numbers.
I hope for a higher baseline as well. Maybe 35k. I'm just wondering&#8203; when that increased production will kick in.

Man if their output after splatoon goes back to 25K until the holidays they will seriously be blowing the early momentum.

March Famitsu Estimates:
03. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 33,500
04. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) 6,700

April Famitsu Estimates:
05. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 8,197
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) 1,863

Total for March/April Based on Estimates: 50,260

Right now BotW(NSW + SWI) is sitting at 664K so 336K left for the remainder of the year.
If 3.3 million more people are able to buy Switch by the end of 2017 it requires just 10% attach rate for the rest of the year to reach 1 million across both versions.

You are mixing and matching Famitsu and Media-Create digital and physical numbers to fit your narrative and not paying attention to the question asked.

The Switch version will have to struggle to reach 1 million, but it could happen. It won't make it there on its own this year though, I can guarantee that.

noshten

3DS after price drop, if manufacturing problems are solved 50K per week should be the baseline Nintendo needs to aim for after the Splatoon 2 launch.

Code:
--------------------------
|    |    Nintendo 3DS   |   
|    |    (2011/02/26)   | 
|----|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   | 
|  31|    4.132|1.310.288|
|  32|  196.077|1.506.365|
|  33|  105.639|1.612.004|
|  34|   60.781|1.672.785|
|  35|   54.744|1.727.529|
|  36|   49.076|1.776.605|
|  37|   58.837|1.835.442|
|  38|   70.159|1.905.601|
|  39|   58.504|1.964.105|
|  40|   53.540|2.017.645|
|  41|   55.025|2.072.670|
|  42|   73.933|2.146.603|
|  43|   65.041|2.211.644|
|  44|  145.271|2.356.915|
|  45|  103.962|2.460.877|
|  46|   96.219|2.557.096|
|  47|  120.920|2.678.016|
|  48|  205.962|2.883.978|
|  49|  350.321|3.234.299|
|  50|  367.691|3.601.990|
|  51|  482,200|4,084,190|
|  52|  197,952|4,282,142|

You are mixing and matching Famitsu and Media-Create digital and physical numbers to fit your narrative and not paying attention to the question asked.

The Switch version will have to struggle to reach 1 million, but it could happen. It won't make it there on its own this year though, I can guarantee that.

I'm mixing numbers because MC doesn't provide digital estimates.
These are the only numbers we have for digital and they could be widely incorrect since I have no idea what type of methodology Famitsu uses. If you have some MC based digital estimates perhaps you can provide those for us but I guarantee that you don't ;)

Pokken did okay too. Arms and Dissidia NT might as well.

01./00. [WIU] Pokken Tournament # <FTG> (Pokemon Co.) {2016.03.18} (¥7.200) - 69.675 / NEW <36,65%>

Seeing how unlike other fighting games in Japan Smash sales increase with each new entry, I would say the value proposition theory holds more water than "this is an anomaly, the genre is dead".
The genre is pretty dead if not a single other release can do that.

gconsole

I don't think Smash has much more value than Tekken 7 to be honest. Replace all those Smash characters with some unknown and you can't expect it to sell million. The game rely on popularity of Nintendo character alone, nothing else.

mclem

Doesn't need to crawl at all. Nintendo just needs to produce more switches. Its been selling between 35-45% attach rates for the last few weeks and is sitting above 600K for the combined versions. Even using a low attach rate of 30% for new buyers it would need to sell 1.33million more switches at that attach rate to reach 1M. While the low production numbers are scary for the switch, I find it hard to believe that they will sell less than another 1.33 million by the end of the holidays.

My thoughts are more whether demand for Zelda will cool as other high-profile releases appear. But it's got very good WoM, so that might not be a problem.

I don't think Smash has much more value than Tekken 7 to be honest. Replace all those Smash characters with some unknown and you can't expect it to sell million. The game rely on popularity of Nintendo character alone, nothing else.

remove value and there's less value wow

March Famitsu Estimates:
03. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 33,500
04. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) 6,700

April Famitsu Estimates:
05. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 8,197
10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) 1,863

Total for March/April Based on Estimates: 50,260

Right now BotW(NSW + SWI) is sitting at 664K so 336K left for the remainder of the year.
If 3.3 million more people are able to buy Switch by the end of 2017 it requires just 10% attach rate for the rest of the year to reach 1 million across both versions.

wut? 4.3 million Switch by the end of 2017?
isn't that very very very high?

L~A

Combined, both versions of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild have sold 614 189 units. To reach 1 million units before the end of the year, needs at least 385 811 units during the next 30 weeks, so about 12 860 units per week.

Zedark

I guess Nintendo should have made a white 8GB basic Switch for $249-269. Apple don't make 8GB iPhones. And it supports microSD cards anyway.

The problem is factory space and apparatus, though, not the specific size of the memory chips. 8, 16 and 32 GB chips must be made somewhere and in some way, and it's that exact space and apparatus that the contest is about.

Fularu

Banned
So your suggestion is to remove value

Thanks for proving my point.

Also Smash is much more than just a collection of characters

Only licensed fighting games have enough value, and only if it's one specific license. That's the argument you lot are making.

It's a dead genre if the game mechanics core to the genre have no value.

Fularu

Banned
Smash 4 sells 15 million units worldwide

Lost and confused : there's no value there, genre is dead

Jlawok.gif

Top Bottom