• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2017 (Jun 05 - Jun 11)

EDarkness

The point of a port is to expose new userbases to a game. For an indie developer lime yourself it may not make sense to try and port your game to many platforms after release if you think the targeted platforms have covered the buying base sufficiently. For a large IP and game like DQ the potential to expand your audience and sales justifies a port. It also gives your developers a chance to learn the ins and outs of a new platform which is important if your company is going ro pursue multiplatform development.

There are lots of reasons to port a game. Especially to new systems if you have thr resources and the port ism't difficult.

I definitely recognize what you're saying, but it's still a case of people having played the game already and if it's an RPG, I think that it makes people purchasing the game again a difficult proposition unless there's something added to make going through the narrative again worth it. How often do these games gain more traction on different hardware with different audiences? I always hear that the wider the audience the more people are willing to jump in, but I wonder if that's really true. Anyway, people can port their games to any system they choose for whatever reason they choose, I just wonder if it's really worth it to have late ports of games that have been released on other platforms months and months earlier.

That said, I do think providing late ports for service style or multiplayer games isn't a bad thing. Rocket League is good because people can play endlessly with other players and the platform doesn't matter. Same with MMO style games.

Oregano

We've seen high scoring japanese games do well on PS4, probably do to the fact that there are far fewer physical games now, so its easier for a good game to stand out.

Nioh, Nier Automata, and Persona 5 did far better than they would have in a ultra crowded PS2 library imo. If DQ11 has an 85+ metacritic score i dont see why it wouldnt see a nice boost in sales in the west.

This is definitely true but it's important to remember that (for now at least) those games, and Ni No Kuni, have all only achieved a level of success similar to DQVIII and DQIX and Square Enix was not happy with that level of success.

Shahadan

What do you guys think is a good goal for Xenoblade 2? 300k?

I remember XCX opening up at around 100k.

I expect the same usual bomba. Maybe worse/a bit better depending of the success of the desperate attempt to go down the shitty anime rabbit hole to appeal to japan that rarely pays off.

Aters

This is definitely true but it's important to remember that (for now at least) those games, and Ni No Kuni, have all only achieved a level of success similar to DQVIII and DQIX and Square Enix was not happy with that level of success.

Did SE ever come out and say they are not happy with DQVIII or DQIX's performance? The only complain I remembet is that the remakes on DS underperformed, which is why DQVII remake came out so late in the west.

I expect the same usual bomba. Maybe worse/a bit better depending of the success of the desperate attempt to go down the shitty anime rabbit hole to appeal to japan that rarely pays off.

I figure it will do better because people are excited about Switch. People were not excited about Wii U, and the original game came out after excitement for the Wii had died down.

I figure it will do better because people are excited about Switch. People were not excited about Wii U, and the original game came out after excitement for the Wii had died down.

oh no it was at the height of the wii craze in 2010 just a month after mario galaxy 2. the wii died down a bit after that

Oregano

Did SE ever come out and say they are not happy with DQVIII or DQIX's performance? The only complain I remembet is that the remakes on DS underperformed, which is why DQVII remake came out so late in the west.

That's a fair point but I think they would be much more supportive of the franchise, including a short delay for localisation for XI if they were truly satisfied with that level of sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The fact that preorders for regular New 2DS XL have yet to be opened on Amazon.co.jp is incredibly strange.

Speaking of things that have yet to see their preorders start...what about FIFA 18 on Switch? The other versions are already up to preorder on Amazon.co.jp.

Bruno MB

I haven't been following Comgnet for ages, but when I used to do it a game like Dragon Quest XI would already have 2000 or so pre-orders points.

Yesterday:

PS4 Dragon Quest XI - 381
3DS Dragon Quest XI - 344

mugwhump

Persona 5 was released on April the 4th in the West and the results just take into account the quarter ending in March. The next quarter will be a different story.

Atlus doesn't make money when retailers sell games to customers. The make money when retailers buy games from them, which I'm pretty sure would've happened last FY.

Besides, that's the best explanation for why they rushed the localization.

Bruno MB

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 225.000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 205.000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 100.000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 80.000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 35.000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 145.000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 750.000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I said by Nintendo standard, DQXI Switch will be big by the low, low standards of PS4 though.

Low standards of PS4 DQXI? Or PS4 games in general? Because as of right now, PS4 has a grand total of one game that has sold 500K or more copies in Japan.

Oregano

Low standards of PS4 DQXI? Or PS4 games in general? Because as of right now, PS4 has a grand total of one game that has sold 500K or more copies in Japan.

Both. DQXI PS4 is going to be relatively big but it's not going to be massively above FFXV.

Vena

I haven't been following Comgnet for ages, but when I used to do it a game like Dragon Quest XI would already have 2000 or so pre-orders points.

Yesterday:

PS4 Dragon Quest XI - 381
3DS Dragon Quest XI - 344

3DS software has slowed down substantially, and the PS4 is a struggling platform. When DQIX launched, it was in a time of peak-DS.

This is all on SE's hands for their handling of this project. As I said before, they should have launched this years ago on 3DS when it was riding high and then plan a PS4 HD release/remake or DQXII for PS4 later. Instead, they started with a PS4 project before knowing much of anything about the fate of the PS4 when the 3DS was at its zenith and then pivoted far too late delaying the 3DS release until after the system had entered its twilight years. What makes it all the more stupid is that they seem to have turned around the 3DS title in a fairly quick turn-around with a very interesting presentation/package on offer. This should have launched years ago.

This is a salvage operation now.

And, well frankly, it seem MHW in many ways exists in the same situation (greenlit while the PS4 was still on the horizon with nebulous potential) where both companies expected far more from the PS4, their methods of repairing this vary and are very interesting to watch.

Oregano

You've got to remember that Comg has shut down some stores over the years too though so points are lower across the board.

Vena

You've got to remember that Comg has shut down some stores over the years too though so points are lower across the board.

Sure, but what I said is still going to largely remain true. The 3DS will underperform because of its age, and the PS4 won't even remotely make up the lost potential from the former.

3DS software has slowed down substantially, and the PS4 is a struggling platform. When DQIX launched, it was in a time of peak-DS.

tumblr_mhv3n8Y68m1qib9pno1_500.gif

Kanann

PREDICTION LEAGUE JULY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jun 26 to Jul 30):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware (35 days) - 250,000
[PS4] Gundam Versus (25 days) - 150,000
[3DS] New Nintendo 2DS XL (18 days) - 98,000
[3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers (18 days) - 55,000
[3DS] Ever Oasis (18 days) - 35,000
[PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (18 days) - 120,000
[NSW] Splatoon 2 (10 days) - 730,000

Oregano

If DQXI did less than 3m in Japan I imagine here would be a lot of restructuring especially when the mobile games make buckets of cash.

I'm still not sure why third parties like Capcom and Square Enix expected the PS4 to blow up in Japan. There was nothing to indicate that.

ksamedi

I definitely recognize what you're saying, but it's still a case of people having played the game already and if it's an RPG, I think that it makes people purchasing the game again a difficult proposition unless there's something added to make going through the narrative again worth it. How often do these games gain more traction on different hardware with different audiences? I always hear that the wider the audience the more people are willing to jump in, but I wonder if that's really true. Anyway, people can port their games to any system they choose for whatever reason they choose, I just wonder if it's really worth it to have late ports of games that have been released on other platforms months and months earlier.

That said, I do think providing late ports for service style or multiplayer games isn't a bad thing. Rocket League is good because people can play endlessly with other players and the platform doesn't matter. Same with MMO style games.

You make it sound like everybody who wants to play it will get it and there will be no one left to sell it too. That is not true at all. Platform momentum plays a huge role. The Switch is the hot item right now and people are actively engaged. The ps4 and the 3ds to some extent are not platforms with a very active userbase. Software sales are dropping, even though the userbase of the 3ds is hige, it doesnt really matter when people move on and get interested in other platforms. Releasing software on Switch, especially software that is well suited for the Japanese market, is a no brainer.

Aters

This is all on SE's hands for their handling of this project. As I said before, they should have launched this years ago on 3DS when it was riding high and then plan a PS4 HD release/remake or DQXII for PS4 later. Instead, they started with a PS4 project before knowing much of anything about the fate of the PS4 when the 3DS was at its zenith and then pivoted far too late delaying the 3DS release until after the system had entered its twilight years. What makes it all the more stupid is that they seem to have turned around the 3DS title in a fairly quick turn-around with a very interesting presentation/package on offer. This should have launched years ago.

And, well frankly, it seem MHW in many ways exists in the same situation (greenlit while the PS4 was still on the horizon with nebulous potential) where both companies expected far more from the PS4, their methods of repairing this vary and are very interesting to watch.

SE has this tendency to over-estimate their own capability, and it's not just about project management. Last gen they got the weird "balance market" strategy and wasted money on some X360 games that never took off in Japan. They should have dumped those resources on FFXIII and make it less barebone instead. This gen they got the idea that they should be the one pushing home console in Japan, and as we all see it now, home console is a lost cause in Japan. At least SE made the right call to build the game with Unreal 4. They can at least recoup some loss from the Switch port. One year ago I admired SE's resolution, now it seems nothing can save home console market.

Vena

I'm still not sure why third parties like Capcom and Square Enix expected the PS4 to blow up in Japan. There was nothing to indicate that.

I don't know if "expected" is how to phrase it, more I think they hedged their bets in a weird environment.

WiiU was already out but pretty much visibly dead/struggling, and the 3DS was riding into highs after struggling globally but how long would that last, would it last? It was two-ish years into its lifetime. PS4 was the coming up hot new thing, PS3 had carved out a niche in Japan and found its way into good successes globally, and the PS4 was entering a market with no Wii-like competition. There was likely some belief that it could solidify a strong place in the market and not, as history now shows, collapse immediately.

So they weighed their options. I think SE made the biggest blunder given how, seemingly, quickly they made a 3DS game for DQXI after pivoting from a PS4-only release. They had an opportunity to have this out in ~2015 or early 2016 but they missed. As for Capcom, I don't think they expected MHX to show such a strong revitalization over expected decline but by then the cards were already cast on the MH5 project. So they're likely just going to end up resplitting the franchise into console vs. mobile entries since they've basically forfeited a significant chunk of their domestic sales with this type of title.

In either case, both companies basically underestimated the 3DS and either overestimated or got caught with their pants down by the PS4 in Japan. So they pivoted as they saw best fit, for SE that was introducing a 3DS and Switch entries to focus on their core market, for Capcom it was looking to the west and out to create the mythical console audience.

Capcom was especially caught by market shifts. For DQ, there was never a western market, but Capcom ended up making one *after* MH5 was already greenlit and heavily into development... on handhelds (for the audience they created, not MH5). At that point, like, what can you even do?

You alienate said western handheld audience by not localizing the handheld expansio/port you made.

No one expected the 3DS to just chug along to 23m in Japan, or for it to surge/rally in 2016 on Pokemon GO globally. Now its just chugging along into 2018. Had you known this future in 2013, both MH5 and DQXI would have likely just been 3DS titles but as they say hindsight is 20/20.

SE has this tendency to over-estimate their own capability, and it's not just about project management. Last gen they got the weird "balance market" strategy and wasted money on some X360 games that never took off in Japan. They should have dumped those resources on FFXIII and make it less barebone instead. This gen they got the idea that they should be the one pushing home console in Japan, and as we all see it now, home console is a lost cause in Japan. At least SE made the right call to build the game with Unreal 4. They can at least recoup some loss from the Switch port. One year ago I admired SE's resolution, now it seems nothing can save home console market.

I think SE still had hope (and committed far too much money) to try and push in the early years. As for the last gen, I think there was MS money involved in funding/incentivizing those projects as well as, well as we discuss regularly, global considerations.

Kyoufu

Then they knowingly decided to tank their sales numbers? But why?

Horii wanted a DQ game on the big screen like DQVIII. I don't think he cares about sales but others do so they had to make it for 3DS too.

Capcom wanted to grow the Monster Hunter IP in the west and going by E3 interviews the producers/directors were pretty excited to do things that weren't possible in the handheld ghetto. Sounds almost like a passion project for them tbh.

In both cases, both companies have handheld projects to fall back on for domestic success, so they're covered in the long term. If MH World fails at IP growth in the west then Capcom still has the Switch to sell the next MH on anyway.

It's not like the HD version is a giant waste, they'll probably get a million from Japan, i would guess another million from the switch version, and alot more overseas than they would have gotten from a 3DS port even in 2016.

And they can reuse those HD assets for a long time.

BriBri

Please forgive the formatting being different from how Chris does it and maybe the different choice of game title (English instead of Japanese or vice versa) than what Chris uses but here's the top 100 from December 28 2015 - December 25 2016...
01. Pokémon Sun Moon (3DS) - 3,246,222
02. Yokai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura (3DS) - 1,397,436
03. Final Fantasy XV (PS4) - 860,127
04. Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) - 743,488
05. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 (3DS) - 623,083
06. Yokai Sangokushi (3DS) - 563,395
07. Yokai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (3DS) - 509,667
08. Kirby Planet Robobot (3DS) - 479,698
09. Splatoon (Wii U) - 398,251
10. Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Vita) - 397,607
11. Monster Hunter X (3DS) - 374,735
12. Persona 5 (PS4) - 362,909
13. Monster Strike (3DS) - 331,834
14. Dark Souls III (PS4) - 330,161
15. Super Mario Maker (Wii U) - 298,212
16. Dragon Quest Builders (Vita) - 292,125
17. Pocket Monsters Red Green Blue Yellow (3DS) - 289,731
18. Ryu ga Gotoku 6: Inochi no Uta (PS4) - 288,847
19. Monster Hunter Stories (3DS) - 286,500
20. Dragon Quest Heroes II (PS4) - 272,807
21. Gyakuten Saiban 6 (3DS) - 272,591
22. Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter / Dragon Chapter (3DS) - 270,402
23. Mario & Sonic AT Rio Olympics (3DS) - 261,923
24. Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Wii U) - 241,441
25. Battlefield 1 (PS4) - 233,544
26. Dragon Quest Heroes II (Vita) - 218,586
27. Tales of Berseria (PS4) - 215,254
28. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) - 208,497
29. Yokai Watch Busters: Akanekodan / Shiroinutai (3DS) - 202,713
30. Pokémon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire (3DS) - 196,375
31. Bokujou Monogatari: Mitsu no Sato no Taisetsu na Tomodachi (3DS) - 196,088
32. Dragon Ball Fusions (3DS) - 194,375
33. KanColle Kai (Vita) - 190,658
34. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) - 179,269
35. Pokkén Tournament (Wii U) 164,852
36. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4) - 160,129
37. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 (Vita) - 159,532
38. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 (PS4) - 155,556
39. Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Wii U) - 154,147
40. Ryu ga Gotoku (PS4) - 148,074
41. Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4) - 145,656
42. Tom Clancy’s The Division (PS2) - 144,078
43. Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL (3DS) - 142,607
44. Overwatch (PS4) - 140,705
45. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer (3DS) - 137,205
46. Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - 135,873
47. Mario Party Star Rush (3DS) - 135,625
48. Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon!! (3DS) - 132,063
49. Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] (PS4) - 130,044
50. Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition (PS4) - 128,386
51. Taiko no Tatsujin: Don Don! Mystery Adventure (3DS) -
52. Sumikko Gurashi: Mura o Tsukurundesu (3DS) - 123,195
53. Mario & Sonic AT Rio Olympics (Wii U) - 122,343
54. Dragon Quest Heroes II (PS3) - 119,205
55. Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Happy Price Selection] (3DS) - 118,463
56. Shingeki no Kyojin (Vita) - 117,755
57. Gundam Breaker 3 (Vita) - 117,158
58. Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth (3DS) - 113,195
59. Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (Vita) - 112,979
60. Persona 5 (PS3) - 112,373
61. Rhythm Tengoku The ★ Best + (3DS) - 110,808
62. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (Vita) - 110,113
63. Ryu ga Gotoku: Kiwami (PS3) - 109,866
64. Tales of Berseria (PS3) - 109,556
65. Dragon Quest Builders (PS3) - 108,947
66. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 108,383
67. Toukiden 2 (Vita) - 108,249
68. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege (PS4) - 107,872
69. Winning Eleven 2017 (PS4) - 107,598
70. Zelda Musou: Hyrule All-Stars (3DS) - 107,312
71. Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X (Vita) - 105,143
72. Miitopia (3DS) - 102,810
73. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U) - 102,303
74. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (PS4) - 101,780
75. Shingeki no Kyojin (PS4) - 101,287
76. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2016 (PS3) - 100,626
77. Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization (PS4) - 98,644
78. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (PS4) - 97,107
79. Fate/EXTELLA (Vita) - 96,955
80. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 93,646
81. Call of Duty Black Ops III (PS4) - 91,032
82. Gundam Breaker 3 (PS4) - 90,552
83. Fate/EXTELLA (PS4) - 89,830
84. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Wii U) - 89,905
85. Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (PS4) - 88,905
86. Mario & Luigi RPG: Paper Mario MIX (3DS) - 87,164
87. FIFA 17 (PS4) - 86,462
88. The Idolm@ster: Platinum Stars (PS4) - 85,822
89. Street Fighter V (PS4) - 85,821
90. Toukiden 2 (PS4) - 85,427
91. Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life 2 (3DS) - 84,413
92. Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force (Vita) - 83,220
93. Watch Dogs 2 (PS4) - 80,916
94. Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers (PS4) - 80,484
95. World of Final Fantasy (Vita) - 79,659
96. World of Final Fantasy (PS4) - 78,290
97. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Vita) - 78,070
98. Digimon World: Next Order (Vita) - 77,758
99. Disney Art Academy (3DS) - 76,567
100. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) - 76,383

Aters

So P5 sold 500k in Japan. That's a very good number but Atlus is still losing money. Considering it was slated for winter 2014 initially, the development process must be extremely troubled and costly. It's almost like FFV13, only this time the head of the company did not decide to change the director. Maybe this is why Atlus set up a new studio? They removed Katsura Hashino from their most successful franchise and let him play around with concept arts, while someone else steps up and make new Peersona games with less turn-around time.

It's not like the HD version is a giant waste, they'll probably get a million from Japan, i would guess another million from the switch version, and alot more overseas than they would have gotten from a 3DS port even in 2016.

And they can reuse those HD assets for a long time.

That's a number we can't just throw around lightly when we talk about Japanese home console market.

KtSlime

Square is tanking their sales by releasing a game on multiple platforms? Is reaching a much larger potential audience a bad thing now?

As Passose already said, I was talking about their original plan to exclusively release on PS4, which would have tanked the sales. ~1M < 4.27M. The decision to release on other platforms has been revealed as a later decision. A good decision.

Kyoufu, I know the story, but the handheld games weren't a fallback, that would suggest that they had properly planned to release those if their PS4 plans fell through, which does not seem to be the case.

Mory Dunz

To be honest in World I see nothing that could not work on Switch. Animations seems really similar (if not exactly the same for the biggest part, for example Ludroth and Rathian) to 3DS version, texture are all flat, vegetation is non-interactive for the biggest part, areas are dense, but pretty small and models seems pretty low-poly against other triple-A games. With some drop in resolution and particle effect I think this would works without problems.

While I agree on one level, as in MHWorlds looks really good, but it's definitely a step below the big AAAs like Battlefront or Naughty Dog games of the world, there is more to consider. Do we know what engine the game is on and if that engine can even work or can run on an acceptable level on the switch?

Kyoufu

Kyoufu, I know the story, but the handheld games weren't a fallback, that would suggest that they had properly planned to release those if their PS4 plans fell through, which does not seem to be the case.

What do you mean? Handheld MH games will continue to exist whether console MH succeeds or not.

Ōkami

Please forgive the formatting being different from how Chris does it and maybe the different choice of game title (English instead of Japanese or vice versa) than what Chris uses but here's the top 100 from December 28 2015 - December 25 2016...
Oh, we got this back in January.

KtSlime

What do you mean? Handheld MH games will continue to exist whether console MH succeeds or not.

While that is likely, as there is no other way for Capcom to do it, MHW could have been released on the Switch as well as PS4/Xbox, there is nothing that I saw that couldn't be handled by Switch. Aside from a re-release of XX, they have not announced any plans for Switch, and I don't expect them to do until sometime after World is out. World being a passion project or not, this seems like a poor business decision. Wouldn't you agree?

Mory Dunz

Could be.
That's weird that they still haven't announced what the Tales of game will be since it's supposed to relase this FY.

Who all are we "waiting on" that was in the Switch third party picture?

From Software
Platinum games (who stated they have a game or more in dev iirc)
Capcom ;)

who else?

Busaiku

If Dragon Quest XI sells less than 3 million combined, SE would be having panic attacks.
Probably massive restructuring.

While that is likely, as there is no other way for Capcom to do it, MHW could have been released on the Switch as well as PS4/Xbox, there is nothing that I saw that couldn't be handled by Switch. Aside from a re-release of XX, they have not announced any plans for Switch, and I don't expect them to do until sometime after World is out. World being a passion project or not, this seems like a poor business decision. Wouldn't you agree?

MH World not being on Switch is entirely on Nintendo for leaving Capcom hanging in regards to a successor for both the 3DS and the Wii U for so long. Capcom was ready to move the series off of the 3DS a long time ago, but Nintendo's next move was still up in the air.

Creating this brand new title for PS4/XB1 and PC takes a lot of resources. If Capcom had the resources to develop a Switch version alongside those 3 other SKU's, they would. Either way, handheld MH will still continue so it's irrelevant.

Top Bottom