• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2015 (Jun 15 - Jun 21)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The further you go in a generation, the more it's going to favor the biggest titles, as everyone has so many cheap existing games to choose from (be they new or used).

The shiny new-ness feeling also wears off your everyday product as well, so people are focusing vastly more on the fundamentals of what's on offer instead of being impressed with the types of production value changes that are nigh guaranteed on a generation shift. If my choice is between spending ¥6458 on PoPoLoCrois or going and buying a used copy of the last Harvest Moon game I missed for ¥1500, there better be a great argument for that.

Or, put another way, it's less the platform, and more what companies are shipping.

But, to be honest, going by the results posted by Pennywise, Popolocrois's debut is decent, I'd say. So far, the only two real, tangible flops I can think of (and one of them was due to Square-Enix, not even the platform) have been Bravely Second and Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition. + Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest (although it seems to be a title with a small budget anyway. At least compared to the other two I mentioned).

EDIT: Just to clarify. I'm not saying that this is impossible (we're past 3DS's 4th anniversary, it is aging after all), but I don't know if Popolocrois is the better example here.

Regiruler

How much did you expect?
I don't know. The question is how much did capcom expect, because a lot of things point to DMC5 being reliant on DMC4SE doing well.

It doesn't really seem like a game with legs, so I was hoping for something like 80k first week.

Jamix012

This is from memory, but according to Media Create we should be seeing Vita cross paths with the mighty Gamecube in the next few weeks no?

crinale

But, to be honest, going by the results posted by Pennywise, Popolocrois's debut is decent, I'd say. So far, the only two real, tangible flops I can think of (and one of them was due to Square-Enix, not even the platform) have been Bravely Second and Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition. + Theatrhythm: Dragon Quest (although it seems to be a title with a small budget anyway. At least compared to the other two I mentioned).
According to game store guy we look up weekly those three are actually quite mega bomba.. (he even had to write an entry to tell readers don't call them having "legs")

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Do you feel they brought back the series aiming at the sales that saw the series disappear for ten years in the first place?

A.J.

Banned
I don't know. The question is how much did capcom expect, because a lot of things point to DMC5 being reliant on DMC4SE doing well.

It doesn't really seem like a game with legs, so I was hoping for something like 80k first week.
It will probably do better in the west

Mpl90

According to game store guy we look up weekly those three are actually quite mega bomba.. (he even had to write an entry to tell readers don't call those to have "legs")

Well, after all I said those were flops, since we know that the major reason they have "legs" are price cuts, so... :p

Fularu

Banned
Do you feel they brought back the series aiming at the sales that saw the series disappear for ten years in the first place?

I don't think they had very high expectations. It's a first step in bringing the franchise back after a 10 years hiatus, they can't be expecting it to sell at HM levels.

The fact the game is also coming out in the US and Europe will give it a bit more exposure in the end.

The previous entries were published by Sony. The best-selling Marvelous IP is Harvest Moon with around 200-250k units on average (on Nintendo handhelds). Most of other Marvelous IPs are below 100k and they seemed perfectly fine with them. Senran Kagura was a huge success on 3DS with 90k units. I mean, different publishers - different expectations, seems trivial.

We will find out whether Popolocrois sold ok-ish or not, since Marvelous is typically quite vocal in their financial reports.

What's everyones predictions for Fates?

Splatoon's success is really astonishing to see. Now they're going to make a 3DS Splatoon game right?
Eh I hope not. The game wouldn't be well suited for the platform and the system will be dead by the time one releases. They should just focus on making Spla2n and have it out within the first year of NX.

duckroll

DMC4SE sold about the same as the DMC HD Collection did on the PS3 (43k first week, 86k total). Seems fine. DMC3SE on the PS2 only sold 21k in the first week, and 54k total. This seems to be getting a bit of a boost due to it also being a sort of remaster on PS4.

JoeM86

Yo-kai Watch is still clinging into the Top 20 after re-entering last week from several weeks outside of it, albeit only with less than 2,000.

Remember when people said this would kill Pokémon? :p

Rupe

Neo Member
Oh wow Splatoon, incredible legs... Half million for LTD?
Minecraft also performing as you would expect and TW3 being a pleasant surprise.

Do we have a ballpark for Vita's numbers WW? Is it near 10 million at this point?

Mpl90

Sincerly, I don't know. I don't say sales back at the PS2's first chapter wouldn't have been nice (I mean the one with the 90k opening), they would've been great. But it's also true this is a series that disappeared for so long that I don't know what were their reasonable expectations. I'm sure their hope was to bring the series back to that, but I think it's possible their expectations are more in line with what the game did in the first week. I suppose they had forecasts a bit better, for sure, though. I said "decent" due to the game (at least) being decently (sorry for the repetition) up compared to the last two games in the series.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The previous entries were published by Sony. The best-selling Marvelous IP is Harvest Moon with around 200-250k units on average (on Nintendo handhelds). Most of other Marvelous IPs are below 100k and they seemed perfectly fine with them. Senran Kagura was a huge success on 3DS with 90k units. I mean, different publishers - different expectations, seems trivial.

We will find out whether Popolocrois sold ok-ish or not, since Marvelous is typically quite vocal in their financial reports.

It's certainly possible they're happy with it.

I do stand by my argument that the reason they're not lighting the charts on fire though is that they're not putting out something that's considered a major entry in the genre while being late in a generation.

crinale

Yo-kai Watch is still clinging into the Top 20 after re-entering last week from several weeks outside of it, albeit only with less than 2,000.

Remember when people said this would kill Pokémon? :p

From certain point it is clear that Hino will just milk it to death then move on to something new. I know he kept saying he wanted to make it evergreen IP like Pokemon but we all know it's just a PR BS.
(I remember Bamco's stock price took a hit January with the analysis saying Yokai IP is already fading)

It's certainly possible they're happy with it.

I do stand by my argument that the reason they're not lighting the charts on fire though is that they're not putting out something that's considered a major entry in the genre while being late in a generation.

There might be publishers who are willing to develop and market nicher products - and find them profitable (isn't what it's happening for basically 90% of PSV games?). It would be unreasonable, on Marvelous' part, to invest a lot in a dormant franchise that had been a Sony exclusive for 10 years. It might also seem a way to break the annual HM / RF rotation while keeping simulation games fans busy with a similar product.

Mpl90

Fair enough. Games like splatoon are ones with actual legs :)

I'm pretty sure sequel in 3DS is a lock.

Need to correct you: Splatoon has no legs. It has tentacles.

About the sequel...I think NX would be a much better fit, at this point. Now, I could see a Splatoon spinoff coming to 3DS next year, to keep the brand in people's mind before the actual sequel on NX.

Exile20

Them legs on that squid. Good stuff Nintendo, keep on trucking with those new weapons and maps in anticipation for Aug.

JoeM86

From certain point it is clear that Hino will just milk it to death then move on to something new. I know he kept saying he wanted to make it evergreen IP like Pokemon but we all know it's just a PR BS.
(I remember Bamco's stock price took a hit January with the analysis saying Yokai IP is already fading)

I imagine it's going to be around for quite a while, but I think it has hit its peak.

duckroll

My take on the Popolocrios game is that it is an attempt to take an IP which the producer really likes, and revitalize it with the help of another popular IP which the producer has control over. It is kinda similar to Etrian Mystery Dungeon in the sense that one IP is far more popular than the other today, but in the past the other IP was pretty well known.

The results are certainly not ideal, since it is doing much poorer than how the stronger IP usually performs, while not doing much better than the low end of the weaker IP.

Top Bottom