• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2017 (Jun 19 - Jun 25)

It's not uncommon for mobile games to miss their date by a few months.

The Level-5 issue is that they miss their date by a few months six times in a row.

It looks like it started development about six months ago, so maybe they haven't decided all their target platforms yet.
Level 5 is weird like that. Remember Yokai Watch?
Yo-kai-Watch-5.png

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's weird that the Switch is still abundant in my country (SEA) but I keep hearing stories that it's not easily available in Japan and US.

To note, what quickly ran out of stock was NES Mini in my country.

MoonFrog

It's weird that the Switch is still abundant in my country (SEA) but I keep hearing stories that it's not easily available in Japan and US.

To note, what quickly ran out of stock was NES Mini in my country.

In smaller markets, exceeding demand comfortably is much closer to meeting demand and not meeting demand.

It takes a lot more to get Japan/US from failing to meet demand to meeting it and again to comfortably exceeding it and having an "abundant" device.

D.Lo

In smaller markets, exceeding demand comfortably is much closer to meeting demand and not meeting demand.

It takes a lot more to get Japan/US from failing to meet demand to meeting it and again to comfortably exceeding it and having an "abundant" device.
Yeah 5000 units might create an excess in Australia/NZ/Smaller EU countries/Asian markets. But to the US or Japan, 'it was Tuesday'

11673473.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Bic Camera Yurakucho only had 54 Switch consoles this week for the lottery. The last week were 59 consoles and the week before (Arms launch) were 99.

As you can see, supply is still going down after Arms.

http://www.twitter.com/bic_yuurakuchou/status/880970020519460864

I just found on twitter the results from Week 21. They had 93 switches.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Yukinoshin78/status/868675042296512513

So, using the same sample this is what we have from Bic Camera Yurakucho's lotteries:

Week 21 (May 22 - May 28) - 93 switch consoles => Media Create: 27.146 sales
Week 22 (May 29 - Jun 4) - 84 switch consoles => Media Create: 23.524 sales
Week 23 (Jun 5 - Jun 11) - 83 switch consoles => Media Create: ¿? (22k?)

Still, tomorrow there're some lotteries in other stores. So we can't make conclusions with just one single store. Anyway I will try to check Bic Camera Yurakucho every week from now, let's see if we can find a pattern.

In the end, Week 23 saw sales returning over 27k, so I don't know if using this specific store as a stock index is reliable enough.

jonno394

Don't worry guys, Nintendo apologised and said July and August would have better supplies so Switch stock will be fine going forward, right......right??

hiska-kun

In the end, Week 23 saw sales returning over 27k, so I don't know if using this specific store as a stock index is reliable enough.

Definitely. But this store pointed the drop of this week, and everybody omitted it, and we were all disappointed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Definitely. But this store pointed the drop of this week, and everybody omitted it, and we were all disappointed.

Sure, it shouldn't be omitted, but at the same time it shouldn't be put on an higher level either, since it has already shown an irregular behaviour (other example: 99 console in stock in Week 24 which wasn't that far from the 93 units available for Week 21, and yet the console overall sold 10k more than in Week 21).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This will sound harsher than I mean it to, but it looks a bit... visually simplistic to be a PS4 only game.

Not saying it's impossible, mind.

This will sound harsher than I mean it to, but it looks a bit... visually simplistic to be a PS4 only game.

Compared to most PS4 games? For sure, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. But the system still has its fair share of more visually simple games, at retail and on the PSN Store, so it being PS4 only wouldn't shock me, and neither would it being multiplatform on the PS4/Switch, or a Switch only game

Just compare it to Ni No Kuni II which is level 5's own game as a comparison.

It's a highish selling franchise for Level 5. If it was on PS4 or PC, the models would be significantly less aliased and more detailed.

MoonFrog

Really curious just how big Switch/PS4 ends up being, going both ways, i.e. coming from 3DS successors and coming from PS4/PS3/Vita.

Crossing that PS3/DS divide isn't such a pipe dream anymore; I wonder how often companies will be satisfied with just doing one or the other or just doing mobile rather than crossing that divide.

Idk. It seems a dream scenario for medium budget Japanese console games seeking growth in the west and/or Japan that they can achieve just through cross-gen+.

It seems it should be less appealing to games with smaller ambitions/entrenched niches and games with ambitions heavily western or heavily Japanese.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
GBA, PS2 and 3DS are the only real competitors for Switch that have similar behavior since all of them launched at February/March.

~7m of software were sold for PS2 and 3DS at first year (retail + digital with didn't exist then, Switch numbers are only retail)

7,6m for PS2
7,1m for GBA
7,1m for 3DS

vareon

Barring projects like Ni No Kuni, I don't see L5 targeting very high end graphics with a PS4 only game for Inazuma Eleven.

Megaton Musashi, though.

Vena

Really curious just how big Switch/PS4 ends up being, going both ways, i.e. coming from 3DS successors and coming from PS4/PS3/Vita.

Well.

On some level SE is more or less there now for PS4/Switch barring some mega titles, likewise KT and Sega. After D5, NIS is definitely going to be more cross release based, too. But as ani has said that takes time to transition.

Capcom is too busy trying to Jedi mindtrick us into forgetting who the X-somethings... were.

Konami might actually end up with weird exclusive splits due to Nintendo regularly reviving their franchises. Don't be surprised at all if Switch gets an exclusive Castlevania or something.

Falcom will likely keep to PS4 only.

Atlus won't release anything for two decades.

Seems pretty much all over the place, haha.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's not Level 5 anymore guys, it's Level 5 Comcept now. :p

Edit: wait, my mistake, Comcept's new name is L5 Comcept, but L5 is still its thing.

Or Switch just isn't as popular everywhere as it's in US and Japan? I mean you could find PS4 easily like two weeks after the launch in Japan in early march 2014 but at the same time even in smaller European countries it was completely sold out despite having launched months earlier.

ksamedi

Or Switch just isn't as popular everywhere as it's in US and Japan? I mean you could find PS4 easily like two weeks after the launch in Japan in early march 2014 but at the same time even in smaller European countries it was completely sold out despite having launched months earlier.
Demand is pretty strong everywhere in Europe. Its sold out constantly in the Netherlands as well. I have yet to see some stock. Same goes for a lot of other European countries. Generally the smaller countries have stock leftovers.

Demand is pretty strong everywhere in Europe. Its sold out constantly in the Netherlands as well. I have yet to see some stock. Same goes for a lot of other European countries. Generally the smaller countries have stock leftovers.

If Nintendo shipped like million units a month globally I could believe that smaller markets having a stock is just symptom of the market sizes but when at the moment they barely ship 200k units a month in US and like 25k units weekly in Japan and yet some smaller markets have had Switch in stock pretty much since launch (for example in Nordics) that tells me that demand isn't just as strong everywhere. Switch isn't Wii. Demand for it is more concentrated to strong Nintendo markets.

LordKano

If Nintendo shipped like million units a month globally I could believe that smaller markets having a stock is just symptom of the market sizes but when at the moment they barely ship 200k units a month in US and like 25k units weekly in Japan and yet some smaller markets have had Switch in stock pretty much since launch (for example in Nordics) that tells me that demand isn't just as strong everywhere. Switch isn't Wii. Demand for it is more concentrated to strong Nintendo markets.

It's breaking records in France, Spain, Netherlands. It's constantly out of stock in Belgium too for what I can tell. The only notable european market it's not selling particularly well is UK. It's a safe assumption to say that there's a lot of demand in Europe as well.

ksamedi

It's breaking records in France, Spain, Netherlands. It's constantly out of stock in Belgium too for what I can tell. The only notable european market it's not selling particularly well is UK. It's a safe assumption to say that there's a lot of demand in Europe as well.
Isnt the UK stock situation just as bad? Its constantly out of stock from what I read from thr stock thread. Following amazon it seems to be pretty popular everywhere except for Sweden Norway and Greece.

LordKano

Isnt the UK stock situation just as bad? Its constantly out of stock from what I read from thr stock thread. Following amazon it seems to be pretty popular everywhere except for Sweden Norway and Greece.

Yeah it's out of stock in UK too, but it's not selling as well than in other european countries. But yeah, demand is stronger than the offer pretty much everywhere.

Plainsong

High street stock is rare in the UK where I live. Ordering from Amazon or Nintendo online seems the best bet but you'll be waiting for a while until stock becomes available.

I mean obviously demand changes from country to country in Europe but considering how tight the supply for Switch is globally it being available in some countries for weeks tells me that it isn't as global phenomenon as something like Wii. Also as for those records those were launch week records mostly if I remember right. It just shows that Nintendo had prepared decent amount of stock for launch. In Spain for example it broke the launch record of PS4 but in two weeks was already way behind (PS4 more than doubled its sales during second week in Spain). Of course you need decent demand too but launch records are more about available stock.

It has been out of stock in UK but that is mostly because how tiny the shipments are. PS4 sold 250k units first week and Switch most likely still hasn't passed even that in UK (In France it passed 250k units few weeks ago and France is strongest Nintendo market in Europe).

LordKano

I mean obviously demand changes from country to country in Europe but considering how tight the supply for Switch is globally it being available in some countries for weeks tells me that it isn't as global phenomenon as something like Wii. Also as for those records those were launch week records mostly if I remember right. It just shows that Nintendo had prepared decent amount of stock for launch. In Spain for example it broke the launch record of PS4 but in two weeks was already way behind (PS4 more than doubled its sales during second week in Spain). Of course you need decent demand too but launch records are more about available stock.

It has been out of stock in UK but that is mostly because how tiny the shipments are. PS4 sold 250k units first week and Switch most likely still hasn't passed even that in UK (In France it passed 250k units few weeks ago and France is strongest Nintendo market in Europe).

In France it's selling on par with the Wii, software included, according to Nintendo France's director. In Spain it's more or less doing the same too. I wasn't talking about launch records only. It's hard to tell for some markets since we only have launch numbers in some cases.
But the situation is definitely comparable to the Wii, more so than any other Nintendo consoles. It's having even less stock available than the Wii.
I don't think that's the right thread to talk about that though.

L~A

Nintendo's at it again with their tourneys in Japan. They just announced the ARMS Japan Grand Prix 2017, to take place this autumn. 4 tourneys in 4 big cities, then grand finale to crown the national champion.

More details coming at later date, but I wouldn't be surprised if that tourney shared some dates and venues with the Splatoon Koshien 2018 (still no details on that one).

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/881080357675687937

Honestly, should've seen it coming with how hard they're pushing the local multiplayer / competitive aspect on Switch (definitely a great move).

gtj1092

You didn't really contradict him. What records are they breaking outside of launch?

Edit: saw your reply. It will be like Wii when it's still selling out when the shipments increase. Right now shipments are comically low. I can see Japanese and US continuing to sell out for the rest of the year though.

Zedark

Nintendo's at it again with their tourneys in Japan. They just announced the ARMS Japan Grand Prix 2017, to take place this autumn. 4 tourneys in 4 big cities, then grand finale to crown the national champion.

More details coming at later date, but I wouldn't be surprised if that tourney shared some dates and venues with the Splatoon Koshien 2018 (still no details on that one).

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/881080357675687937

Honestly, should've seen it coming with how hard they're pushing the local multiplayer / competitive aspect on Switch (definitely a great move).

They definitely seem to push the tourneys for this game. Would be cool if they did these grand tourneys everywhere else as well - E3 was a good start, and this will keep the game fresh in people's minds.

They definitely to want this game to be big (as expected tbh), the push for it is really massive.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Nintendo of France restated 1m forecast until the end of the year which is on par with Wii.

In France it's selling on par with the Wii, software included, according to Nintendo France's director. In Spain it's more or less doing the same too. I wasn't talking about launch records only. It's hard to tell for some markets since we only have launch numbers in some cases.
But the situation is definitely comparable to the Wii, more so than any other Nintendo consoles. It's having even less stock available than the Wii.
I don't think that's the right thread to talk about that though.

I don't think we have heard from any other than launch records though (?). I just don't see this situation similar to Wii as with even comically low global shipments Switch has been available in selected countries since pretty much launch. Wii was sold out absolutely everywhere.

Nintendo of France restated 1m forecast until the end of the year which is on par with Wii.

As far as I remember Wii was in pretty short supply even year after the launch in countries like France. I can definitely see Switch outdoing Wii year one in selected countries (like France and Japan) but I think that will be mostly because after Nintendo gets its production in order they can ship more units to these selected markets as I don't see that global demand will stay anywhere near Wii levels.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
As far as I remember Wii was in pretty short supply even year after the launch in countries like France. I can definitely see Switch outdoing Wii year one in selected countries (like France and Japan) but I think that will be mostly because after Nintendo gets its production in order they can ship more units to these selected markets as I don't see that global demand will stay anywhere near Wii levels.

No console can stay close to Wii level initial sales, but I don't see what makes Wii demand so much stronger at least in Japan and France where we have sales data.

We'll see after Q2 results if Switch shipments were comically low or just low.

No console can stay close to Wii level initial sales, but I don't see what makes Wii demand so much stronger at least in Japan and France where we have sales data.

We'll see after Q2 results if Switch shipments were comically low or just low.

Well from Japan thanks to these threads we have a lot of data and information (from available stock, lotteries etc.) and can more easily say that in japan at least demand is very high for Switch and at least matches initial Wii demand. From other countries like France we get so little information that it's harder to determine just how big the demand is compared to Wii (outside of just being sold out). Like you said though more quarters we go better picture we will get about the global situation.

Top Bottom