• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

jonno394

Re:Splatoon2, in uk and jpn alone it's done 700k, Factor in USA, France and Germany it must surely be well into the 1m+ sales and that's without eshop!

Took just under a month for Splatoon to sell 1m WW so to get there wk1 with the sequel is great

Mory Dunz

Splatoon 2 will be very strong in USA and some European countries but nothing compares to Japan.

If Splatoon 1 did ~1.7m in Japan, wouldn't USAs performance be pretty close, considering the 4.8m LTD?

Not saying that'll happen again with splatoon 2, but I wouldn't be shocked.

Zedark

yeah, I was just talking raw numbers.

edit:
cause I hear a lot "it did well in Japan but not USA" or whatever for example.
Impact wise of course, no contest, but in terms of raw sales....
That line is nonsensical anyway: 1.5 million or more for a new and unconventional IP is a great result in the US too.

edit:

Its been beaten so much to say how amazing Splatoon is in Japan because of the ratio of sales to population lol. Like it sold better in America. Yes, we know it's not the same when you compare population or console market size, but America doesn't get enough credit for selling so much of Splatoon.

Fukuzatsu

edit:

No yeah, it seems perfectly feasible that similar numbers would get sold in both regions.

What I was trying to get at earlier is the attach rate per region. Here in Japan in this first week it may be over 50%, but I'm doubtful it's anywhere near that in other territories.

Mory Dunz

That line is nonsensical anyway: 1.5 million or more for a new and unconventional IP is a great result in the US too.

Its been beaten so much to say how amazing Splatoon is in Japan because of the ratio of sales to population lol. Like it sold better in America. Yes, we know it's not the same when you compare population or console market size, but America doesn't get enough credit for selling so much of Splatoon.

yea it's weird. I bet if you took a poll a gaf, a surprising amount probably wouldn't know it did well over a million in the USA. The way the sales get discussed. It did more than several notable IPs over the past few years in USA alone.

Like, did Halo or GoW 4 even beat it....?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I was thinking about someone said earlier that FFXV debuted a lil higher at 700+ which I thought was a interesting comparison, but then I remembered that FFXV just barely reached 1 million very very recently and was still up for debate for a while...so did sales just fall off a cli- no, fall off the face of the earth?

Zedark

So I was thinking about someone said earlier that FFXV debuted a lil higher at 700+ which I thought was a interesting comparison, but then I remembered that FFXV just barely reached 1 million very very recently and was still up for debate for a while...so did sales just fall off a cli- no, fall off the face of the earth?
Aren't those rather normal things for JRPGs? I know tales games get their legs amputated after the second week, for example, and I believe the same is true for Persona 5.

Xbro

Yup. Sales just dropped like a rock. If they didn't ship a million first week I doubt it would have crawled up there.

foxuzamaki

edit:

yea it's weird. I bet if you took a poll a gaf, a surprising amount probably wouldn't know it did well over a million in the USA. The way the sales get discussed. It did more than several notable IPs over the past few years in USA alone.

Like, did Halo or GoW 4 even beat it....?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1350389 I made a thread on this

foxuzamaki

Aren't those rather normal things for JRPGs? I know tales games get their legs amputated after the second week, for example, and I believe the same is true for Persona 5.
I mean I guess, but I don't expect DQ11 sales to just stop after the 1st week for instance
Yup. Sales just dropped like a rock. If they didn't ship a million first week I doubt it would have crawled up there.
Jeez

casiopao

YSO troll us hiks. But i still feel for Ninty here that they are unable to utilize this moment to sell moar Switch. Hope next week it wont drop to hell again.

I figured it would do well, but the limited Switches in rotation were going to be the limiting factor here, making its opening a bit of a wildcard. Curious to see how far its eight legs can take it.

Ōkami;244511083 said:
DFokSA6W0AICISS.jpg

Gotta make sure the kids know what Dragon Quest is somehow.
Pretty sure the Geneva Convention ruled against this exact sort of thing.

LordKano

I don't remember my exacts predictions, but I argued that it would conformably sell over 50% of the username but always thought that YSO numbers were too big.

Great debut anyway, and again people overreacted with early hardware reports, like before Switch launch when people thought it would be close to a 200k launch. We need to stop putting so much faith in these reports.

ggx2ac

Regional breakdown of Switch hardware LTD:

The Americas: 1.95 million
Japan: 1.12 million
Other: 1.63 million

So, I was correct initially months ago when the shortages started happening but we were unaware it was affecting things worldwide.

And that is the assumption that Nintendo would prioritise sales for overseas compared to Japan, that is because roughly 70% of the revenue or profits (I can't remember which) come from overseas thanks to currencies when they are stronger than the yen.

Only when other regions do terrible for Nintendo that Japan sales are higher than other regions like the 3DS showed.

Because Nintendo shipped 1.97 million Switch units and this 2nd quarter (July-Sep) is currently doing better than the last quarter since we haven't seen shortages occur (like the one from May) yet that maybe they'll get at least 2.5 million shipped for the 2nd quarter.

But, the fact is that they will definitely lose sales if they don't supply enough Switch units for the third quarter.

At least 7 or 8 million units for Switch would be adequate for October to December, I know their forecast is 10 million but that doesn't mean they can't beat that unless ramping up production to produce that much is impossible.

Very curious what production increase they'll have by Fall as stated before.

maxcriden

I've completely missed the goings on ITT the past few days. So we got some sales data for Wii U and/or Splatoon 2 from last week in Japan? Is there a summary post or a post # where this data arrived? Thanks all.

DrWong

Those Splatoon sales are from 3 days right? So the number revealed in a few more hours would be one day or two more of sales right? If so i can see 750k or so for Splatoon 2.

Those 3 days are for the release week (Friday to Sunday), the last 2 days will be in this week numbers (to be released next week in Japan).

That said, I think with eshop/digital sales (not included in the 671K sales) it's not far away from 750K first week.

L~A

A shame they didn't provide up to date sales for BotW Wii U, it was the only place we had a chance of ever getting them from (unless it somehow manages to sell over 1m before April 1 2018? I doubt they will ship that many units ww, as most people who wanted the game on Wii U definitely got it during the first month).

That sales behavior for RPGs that debut that well is not atypical.

Top Bottom