• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 3, 2013 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

Roman

Fire Emblem is as popular as ever and sold almost 460k, that's a very big niche.
Yes I'm biased

Combined with the cult following of SMT, they might ride a decent wave.

However I would agree that the games are not going to affect much without a price drop.

PS3 is at 9 milions despite
- Wii compeition for casual market
- Microsoft buying exclusives left and right
- rediculus price tag
- dev tools which made releasing games for it a nightmare

Considering noone of the above will repeat next gen PS4 should have no problems reaching those 10 milions
The rise (or survival) of the PS3 in Japan was due to Japanese publishers putting all their weight on the system at the beginning and thinking that it would be the top console. Publishers may be more weary about that this time.

Apparently not all the right notes.

10m is not some momentous amount for a home console in Japan. Wii started out fast and then sputtered falling flat on its face with the lack of third-party support and still sold > 12m. No, Wii U won't be as big a hit with the Wii Sports audience this time around, but if it can get more reasonable third-party support than Wii, then > 10m should be child's play. Talking LTD here, so that's many years down the road.

With bundling. We'll see how it does on Wii U. Should see some contraction (as will Wii Fit U), but hopefully not as much as Brain Training 3D did. :/
I agree with this. We will see if Nintendo gets the strong support it needs.

The rise (or survival) of the PS3 in Japan was due to Japanese publishers putting all their weight on the system at the beginning and thinking that it would be the top console. Publishers may be more weary about that this time.

After Wii collapse and Microsoft abandoning x360 in Japan after 2008 it's rather obvious choice.

Apparently not all the right notes.

10m is not some momentous amount for a home console in Japan. Wii started out fast and then sputtered falling flat on its face with the lack of third-party support and still sold > 12m. No, Wii U won't be as big a hit with the Wii Sports audience this time around, but if it can get more reasonable third-party support than Wii, then > 10m should be child's play. Talking LTD here, so that's many years down the road.

With bundling. We'll see how it does on Wii U. Should see some contraction (as will Wii Fit U), but hopefully not as much as Brain Training 3D did. :/

I really don't see how third party situation will improve that much with WiiU. Well maybe it can get titles like Musou and Gundam that only sell in Japan and are not that tech heavy but all the big guns like MGS, FF, RE will go to PS4 because of western sales and next xbox. With those games being on PS4 it could be that musou and Gundam audience also stays on PS4 so we could have pretty much replica of this gen. Next single player DQ will probably go to 3DS...

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Japanese third party support for the PS3 has been pretty terrible. For example how many SE games have been released for it this gen? FF13, FF13-2, Nier and SO. Thats a pathetic output imo. Compare that to the stuff they released on the DS and PSP and you will see that there hasn't been much of a appetite in Japan for developing on home consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Japanese third party support for the PS3 has been pretty terrible. For example how many SE games have been released for it this gen? FF13, FF13-2, Nier and SO. Thats a pathetic output imo. Compare that to the stuff they released on the DS and PSP and you will see that there hasn't been much of a appetite in Japan for developing on home consoles.

If support for PS3 has been terrible, Wii support was nonexistent

The NDS and PSP didn't kill the home console market in Japan, so I don't think it will happen with the 3DS.

Threy didn't kill the home console market, but they helped its reshaping. Many important series that was PS2-locked in the previous generation arrived on handhelds, with both main chapters and spin-offs.

I really don't see how third party situation will improve that much with WiiU. Well maybe it can get titles like Musou and Gundam that only sell in Japan and are not that tech heavy but all the big guns like MGS, FF, RE will go to PS4 because of western sales and next xbox. With those games being on PS4 it could be that musou and Gundam audience also stays on PS4 so we could have pretty much replica of this gen. Next single player DQ will probably go to 3DS...

Yes, PS4 and Nextbox are going to have one Final Fantasy and one Metal Gear, then.

Road

Prediction League February, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 28 to Feb 24):

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) -
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: January, 30th 08:00 am (EST) (when Famitsu or Media Create first make their weekly sales public)

Attention:
  • Remember for some games it's not only the 1st week.
  • Multiplatform games are the combined available sales of each platform.
Rules:
  • The official monthly hardware sales will be the sum of weekly numbers for all versions of the system available from Famitsu.
  • The official monthly software sales will be the latest total or the sum of the weekly numbers if the title is release before the period available from the Famitsu Top 30.
  • The official monthly sales for multi-platform releases will be the combined available sales of each platform shown in the title entry.
  • The official monthly sales for games with multiple versions will be the combined available sales of each version shown in the title entry.
  • Any game missing in the Famitsu top 30 will be taken out of the predictions.
  • Any item missing in your prediction will be considered as if you had predicted zero for its sales.

Celine

After Wii collapse and Microsoft abandoning x360 in Japan after 2008 it's rather obvious choice.
As obvious as PSP successor's third-party support.

I'm not saying the PS4 can't become that [the obvious choice for third-party publishers] or even that PSV situation is similar to what will be PS4 (it's not).
It's just not so obvious as of now.

Laguna

Banned
Considering noone of the above will repeat next gen PS4 should have no problems reaching those 10 milions

While the 1st year of a console doesn´t always reflect the whole console lifecycle, it would be interesting to know what you consider as likely PS4 launch titles and games that could release its first year. While PS3 launched with Wii at nearly the same time, like PSP and NDS did, it isn´t the case with PS4 to its direct competitor WiiU. The last and only time Sony launched late in Japan was with PSV and the know what happened.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well we will see. I don't think it will be as cut and dried as you think.

After the Nintendo third party direct I think we will have a pretty good sense of how much effort Nintendo put into third party relationships.

The main question in my mind at that point will be how much effort Sony was willing to put in.

Bruno MB

Prediction League February, 2013

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Jan 28 to Feb 24):

[PS3] Metal Gear Rising (4d) - 245.000
[3DS] Dragon Quest VII (18d) - 1.025.000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
After the Nintendo third party direct I think we will have a pretty good sense of how much effort Nintendo put into third party relationships.

The main question in my mind at that point will be how much effort Sony was willing to put in.

Yup. I *think* Capcom and Tecmo Koei are going to have decent support based on their initial offerings and I also have a feeling Nintendo is dangling 1st party collaborations in front of companies which could lead to some surprising multi platform stuff hitting Wii U, but for now that's just a guess.

Hero

Yup. I *think* Capcom and Tecmo Koei are going to have decent support based on their initial offerings and I also have a feeling Nintendo is dangling 1st party collaborations in front of companies which could lead to some surprising multi platform stuff hitting Wii U, but for now that's just a guess.

Yeah it sounds like Capcom and Techmo Koei are obvious choices. I also think Square-Enix should have something else since DQX on Wii U might give them a decent base to work off of. Hoping Namco comes around after TTT2 but we'll see. I don't expect anything from Konami.

FLAguy954

Yeah it sounds like Capcom and Techmo Koei are obvious choices. I also think Square-Enix should have something else since DQX on Wii U might give them a decent base to work off of. Hoping Namco comes around after TTT2 but we'll see. I don't expect anything from Konami.

This is seriously the most baffling of all. What the hell is going on with them and the Wii U?

Hero

This is seriously the most baffling of all. What the hell is going on with them and the Wii U?

Same thing that happened with them and Wii; nothing at all.

I mean, there's an off-chance that something might happen with that Miiverse hack and Metal Gear being listed for a Miiverse community but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Laguna

Banned

Nintendo is working on 3rd party relationships for some time now and we already see some results, namely Platinum Games (Bayonetta), Koei/Tecmo (Fatal Frame, Musou games), Capcom (MH, Resident Evil), Level 5 and BandaiNamco, Atlus.

The last two are interesting ones because they are working closely with Atlus and BandaiNamco on Nintendofranchises. A part of their resources are tight to Nintendo systems which automatically means less resources for PS4 and PSV. Also I think these collaboration will help getting multiplatform titles as well in future.

serplux

Look, Konami barely supports the 3DS, the main platform in Japan, when every other major publisher in Japan has pledged a pretty decent amount of games for it. I don't think they'll have major plans for the Wii U.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Same thing that happened with them and Wii; nothing at all.

I mean, there's an off-chance that something might happen with that Miiverse hack and Metal Gear being listed for a Miiverse community but I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Knowing how Konami loves Nintendo home consoles, it'll be just a slightly tweaked port of the first Metal Gear. Yes, just Metal Gear, without Solid.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
01./00. [PS3] DmC: Devil May Cry <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.01.17} (¥6.990) - 110.429 / NEW <61,82%>
___

03./00. [PSP] Digimon Adventure <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.01.17} (¥6.280) - 47.807 / NEW <68,98%>
___

21./00. [360] DmC: Devil May Cry <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.01.17} (¥6.990) - 6.000 / NEW <60,10%>
22./18. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational # <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.11.22} (¥4.980)
23./16. [PSP] AKB1/149: Love Election # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.20} (¥7.329)
24./22. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
25./00. [PS3] LittleBigPlanet Karting <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.01.17} (¥5.980)
26./23. [3DS] Style Savvy: Trendsetters <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.09.27} (¥4.800)
27./20. [3DS] Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney <ADV> (Level 5) {2012.11.29} (¥5.980)
28./30. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.09.22} (¥2.990)
29./25. [PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.10.04} (¥7.980)
30./24. [3DS] Toriko: Gourmet Monsters! <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.13} (¥5.800)
31./21. [WIU] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.12.08} (¥4.800)
32./00. [PS3] Dream C Club Zero: Special Edipyon! <SLG> (D3 Publisher) {2013.01.17} (¥7.140)
33./27. [3DS] Kobito Zukan: Kobito Kansatsu Set <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2012.07.26} (¥5.040)
34./29. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
35./31. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2012.11.01} (¥3.980)
36./33. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition <ACT> (Square Enix) {2012.11.22} (¥7.980)
37./37. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
38./32. [WII] Inazuma Eleven Go Strikers 2013 <SPT> (Level 5) {2012.12.20} (¥4.980)
39./28. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven 1-2-3!! Endou Mamoru Densetsu <RPG> (Level 5) {2012.12.27} (¥5.800)
40./35. [WII] Mario Party 9 <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.04.26} (¥5.800)
41./40. [3DS] Bravely Default: Flying Fairy <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.10.11} (¥6.090)
42./34. [WII] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.08.02} (¥6.980)
43./39. [WII] Wii Sports Resort with Wii Remote Plus # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2010.11.11} (¥5.800)
44./38. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
45./00. [PSP] Otometeki Koi Kakumei Love Revo!! 100kg Karahajimaru-Koimonogatari # <TBL> (Idea Factory) {2013.01.17} (¥6.090)
46./50. [PSP] Taiko no Tatsujin Portable DX <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.07.14} (¥5.229)
47./43. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
48./45. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.12.03} (¥5.800)
49./42. [3DS] Ouchi Mainichi Tamagotchi <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.22} (¥5.040)
50./00. [PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.12.13} (¥3.800)

Top 50

3DS - 20
PS3 - 10
WII - 8
PSP - 7
WIU - 3
360 - 1
NDS - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    752.000 |    649.000 |    695.000 |  3.160.000 |  3.395.000 |

Look, Konami barely supports the 3DS, the main platform in Japan, when every other major publisher in Japan has pledged a pretty decent amount of games for it. I don't think they'll have major plans for the Wii U.

New Love Plus was a big debacle. The game was supposed to make the franchise even bigger (on DS, the first one almost reached 300k units sold), but the huge number of bugs created a very bad word-of-mouth and the game collapsed in the chart. Eventually, Konami was forced to pull back the copies in the market.

BriBri

New Love Plus was a big debacle. The game was supposed to make the franchise even bigger (on DS, the first one almost reached 300k units sold), but the huge number of bugs created a very bad word-of-mouth and the game collapsed in the chart. Eventually, Konami was forced to pull back the copies in the market.
Anyone know whether these bugs have been omitted from the digital release?

Bruno MB

Nowadays Konami is just Metal Gear Solid, World Soccer Winning Eleven and in a distant third position Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball. Castlevania games don't sell well there and Yu-Gi-Oh! stopped being great sellers a long time ago.

Wii U will surely get World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 and maybe Pro Baseball Spirits 2013. Since Metal Gear Solid titles won't appear on Wii U is easy to have the feeling that they just ignore it. What truly happens is that they don't release too many titles (at least on consoles).

Road

Konami has supported the 3DS reasonably well. They weirdly stopped with the baseball game, yes, but you can't expect them to put major Metal Gear games that have a strong western audience on it. You can't expect them to even finish these Metal Gear games anymore.

They have released random stuff on PSP that will likely end up on the 3DS eventually.

serplux

Nowadays Konami is just Metal Gear Solid, World Soccer Winning Eleven and in a distant third position Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball. Castlevania don't sell well there and Yu-Gi-Oh! stopped being great sellers a long time ago.

Wii U will surely get World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014 and maybe Pro Baseball Spirits 2013. Since Metal Gear Solid titles won't appear on Wii U is easy to have the feeling that they just ignore it. What truly happens is that they don't release too many titles (at least on consoles).

I'd love for them to team up with WayForward for another Contra, but I think they cancelled that project. I also recall C4 bombing hard in Japan when it came out.

Well if we look at Konami output they barely support anything.

liger05

Nowadays Konami is just Metal Gear Solid, World Soccer Winning Eleven and in a distant third position Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball. Castlevania don't sell well there and Yu-Gi-Oh! stopped being great sellers a long time ago.

The Gamecube got one winning Eleven (I loved it on the GC) but it didnt sell well.

Konami to release again?

Anyone know whether these bugs have been omitted from the digital release?

I don't think so. They also release a lot of patches actually, but video gamers didn't trust in the game anymore. A shame, because the franchise could have become bigger. I hope they think about a reboot (i.e. a Love Plus with new girls) soon.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2013.01.31}

[PSV] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale <FTG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥4.980)
[PSV] Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage # <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥6.090)
[PSV] Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage [Deluxe Limited Edition] <SLG> (SystemSoft Alpha) (¥8.190)
[PSV] WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship <RCE> (CyberFront) (¥5.229)

[PSP] Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten [First Press Limited Edition] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.430)
[PSP] Vitamin Z: Graduation # <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Vitamin Z: Graduation [Limited Edition] <ADV> (D3 Publisher) (¥9.240)
[PSP] Tasogaredoki: Kaidan Romance # <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥6.300)
[PSP] Tasogaredoki: Kaidan Romance [Deluxe Edition] <ADV> (QuinRose) (¥8.925)
[PSP] Renai 0 Kilometer Portable # <ADV> (Alchemist) (¥7.140)
[PSP] Renai 0 Kilometer Portable [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Alchemist) (¥8.379)
[PSP] Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX # <ACT> (G.Rev) (¥3.129)
[PSP] Kisou Ryouhei Gunhound EX [Special Pack Soundtrack Bundle] <ACT> (G.Rev) (¥5.229)

[WIU] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) (¥8.190)

[PS3] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale <FTG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) (¥5.980)
[PS3] Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.330)
[PS3] Accel World: Kasoku no Chouten [First Press Limited Edition] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥10.480)
[PS3] WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship <RCE> (CyberFront) (¥7.329)
[PS3] FIFA Street (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Love Tra: Bitter # <ADV> (Boost On) (¥7.140)
[360] Love Tra: Bitter [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Boost On) (¥9.429)

Top Bottom