• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

L~A

At least wait until we have precise sell-through ratio (Dengeki, so tomorrow) before triggering WW3 over shipment numbers xD

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Neither 80-100% ST means shortages, nor 60-80% means less than expected without context.
For something to face real supply problems sell-through must be ~95% and over.

For a game that shipped 1m even a 90% sell-through means there are 100k unsold copies at retailers. Going from a 80-100%, without knowing the exact number,to short supply is a big logical jump.

Vena

At least wait until we have precise sell-through ratio (Dengeki, so tomorrow) before triggering WW3 over shipment numbers xD

No sir. Get in the trenches now!

My drones are already in the air, heading for Aostia.

All Zelda falling behind says the Mario Kart is a bigger franchise. We all already knew that though.

What you have with Zelda is a game that is going to sell well over 10 million copies and be the best selling game in the franchise.

It was gonna be impossible for Zelda to maintain its attach rate from near launch.

When the Switch just launched a lot of people in the "Too soon to say the Switch is not a flop" were arguing that Nintendo / Wii U fanboys buying Zelda was the reason for such huge sales numbers.

A MK8 remaster selling better than Zelda for me implies that the user base is constituted by way more people than just Nintendo fanboys.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
After today atlus announcements, is my critic position toward switch in terms of third party support a little bit more understandable or..?

After today atlus announcements, is my critic position toward switch in terms of third party support a little bit more understandable or..?

Isn't Switch getting a Tokyo Mirage Sessions remaster? Putting Persona there first would definitely hurt TMS potential sales.

L~A

No, Switch isn't getting a TMS "Remaster" (or even port for that matter). Yet? Who knows. Doesn't really matter in the discussion at hand though, since it'd be a Nintendo funded project.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Isn't Switch getting a Tokyo Mirage Sessions remaster? Putting Persona there first would definitely hurt TMS potential sales.

No, but why would Persona hurt TMS? If anything it would attract a bigger audience that might still get TMS if they bought the system for Persona.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

take a guess at what point in their lifetimes that the persona series first appeared on 3DS and PS4.

TimeSage

I like how some people here kept saying FFXV underperformed because the game and it's series sucks now but when DQ11 barely keep up with it's predecessors sales-wise even though being multi-platform , it's the market's fault.

I just want to point out that many people here kept pusing the "bad game" narrative while neglecting how the current market effected FFXV's sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I like how some people here kept saying FFXV underperformed because the game and it's series sucks now but when DQ11 barely keep up with it's predecessors sales-wise even though being multi-platform , it's the market's fault.

I just want to point out that many people here kept pusing the "bad game" narrative while neglecting how the current market effected FFXV's sales.

There is a mighty big difference in the sales comparison you seem to be neglecting.

LordKano

FFXIII 1.5M -> FFXV 0.7M
DQIX 2.3M -> DQXI 2.1M

See the difference ?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

DQXI debut is the third best for the series ever and the gap with the best debut ever is about 200k with more than 2 millions sold anyway

So...

DNF

When the Switch just launched a lot of people in the "Too soon to say the Switch is not a flop" were arguing that Nintendo / Wii U fanboys buying Zelda was the reason for such huge sales numbers.

A MK8 remaster selling better than Zelda for me implies that the user base is constituted by way more people than just Nintendo fanboys.

i don't think there ever was a system where a mario kart game sold less then a zelda game.

Toth

FFXIII 1.5M -> FFXV 0.7M
DQIX 2.3M -> DQXI 2.1M

See the difference ?

Unfair comparison because only a million of that is 3DS. It's more like DQIX 2.3M > DQXI 1.1 M

It's impossible to say if the PS4 cannibalized the 3DS market buyers or if many just double dipped. SE's move, regardless, was genius.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The Persona Q series is a damn strange one. A fan service spin-off on a system that doesn't has any of the main series games. Almost as if its made so that Atlus can say that their biggest IP is in Japan strongest system and little else.

That, or the argument of "keeping the games where the fans are" arguments is completely BS.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
FFXIII 1.5M -> FFXV 0.7M
DQIX 2.3M -> DQXI 2.1M

See the difference ?
Tbf he's talking about the PS4. If FFXV had a 3DS version we probably wouldn't be having this conservation.

If DQXI had only realised on PS4 we'd have seen a similar level but not as much of a drop.

LordKano

Unfair comparison because only a million of that is 3DS. It's more like DQIX 2.3M > DQXI 1.1.

It's impossible to say if the PS4 cannibalized the 3DS buyers or if many double dipped.

???
DQXI is a PS4 and 3DS game, how is it unfair exactly.

LordKano

Tbf he's talking about the PS4. If FFXV had a 3DS version we probably wouldn't be having this conservation.

If DQXI had only realised on PS4 we'd have seen a similar level but not as much of a drop.

But if DQXI only released on PS4 then the comparison with DQIX would have made no sense.

Toth

This is stupid logic no matter how your try to spin it.

Not when both games are not exactly the same. The 3DS version may have the same basic story but it is very different from the PS4 version. Double dipping is a must for fans of the series to get the most out of the game.

But if DQXI only released on PS4 then the comparison with DQIX would have made no sense.

DQ IX only came out on one system too, no?

LordKano

You are using a number that includes two systems in it and comparing to one that only came put on one (sorry Xbone) system.

I... I'm not comparing directly the sales of FFXV and DQXI but the drop between their predecessor and them ?

I think it's safe to assume had DQXI been released as a single SKU, either on the aging 3DS or the PS4 w/ its smaller userbase, it would have been ranked among the worst OWs for a DQ game or somewhere in the middle. It's not a certainty, though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Famitsu sell-through

DQXI 3DS – 60~80%
DQXI PS4 – 80~100%

So 3DS went below expectations, PS4 went above i guess

How much did they expect 3DS to sell for that kind of disparity

I think it's safe to assume had DQXI been released as a single SKU, either on the aging 3DS or the PS4 w/ its smaller userbase, it would have been ranked among the worst OWs for a DQ game or somewhere in the middle. It's not a certainty, though.

If it had been 3DS only, i'm pretty sure a lot more people would have caved and bought that version. In this case PS4 was an option so people decided on that.

Its like people saying Pro is contributing to Sony's sales right now. It could be, but we could not measure that because without Pro, Sony could just be selling more slims to people who wanted a new PS4 anyway

Zedark

So 3DS went below expectations, PS4 went above i guess

How much did they expect 3DS to sell for that kind of disparity

We should wait for Dengeki to weigh in with more accurate sell-through percentages to determine this imo. The difference could be as small as 78% vs. 82% or as big as 61% vs. 98%.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Very true.

I think the overall point he was making was that the PS4 seems capped out at about 1 million fw and thus ffxv was never going to get anywhere near 1.5 under these market conditions.

Of course that ignores that some ps4 owners maybe have been dissuaded from getting the ps4 version when the 3ds version exists and the hardware bump would have been large with am exclusive dq.

Toth

I... I'm not comparing directly the sales of FFXV and DQXI but the drop between their predecessor and them ?

Okay I understand that. However, DQ XI is clearly a special case because of the different versions on console and mobile and their respective appeals. It's just hard to say what the number would have been if it just released on one console. That's all I was trying to say.

Not when both games are not exactly the same. The 3DS version may have the same basic story but it is very different from the PS4 version. Double dipping is a must for fans of the series to get the most out of the game.

It's irrelevant. The game is multiplat and the nature of such makes a direct comparison to DQ9 non sense. If the game was exclusive to 3DS the numbers would be higher. That's just fact.

Double dipping is only essntial to make your argument work. In practice no, no one needs to buy DQ11 on 2 platforms and the vast majority of people didn't.

Toth

It's irrelevant. The game is multiplat and the nature of such makes a direct comparison to DQ9 non sense. If the game was exclusive to 3DS the numbers would be higher. That's just fact.

Double dipping is only essntial to make your argument work. In practice no, no one needs to buy DQ11 on 2 platforms and the vast majority of people didn't.

Okay but here's just one thing: is it fair to call this game multiplat in the traditional sense? From what I've read the DS version is a completely unique experience and not a port.

LordKano

Okay but here's just one thing: is it fair to call this game multiplat in the traditional sense? From what I've read the DS version is a completely unique experience and not a port.

It's the same story, the same script, the same characters, the same bosses, the same content, but because of the enormous differences between 3DS and PS4, it doesn't look the same at all and both versions were developped separately. It's still the same game.

It's like with these Sonic games that are on both Wii and DS.

Zedark

I'm sure it won't be 100K a week but I do believe we've seen the last of 25K supply.

It's a start!

Honestly, I was really surprised to see they actually repeated the big shipments after last week. I feel confident they can maintain over 50k for the next few weeks at least, and if we take their word for it, they have even bigger production ready for the holidays.

Yes it's multiplat. No it's not traditional. No that doean't matter in terms of the comparison you are making.

There are now 2 places you can play DQ11 and that splits buying base. It's just undeniable.

Khrno

Unfair comparison because only a million of that is 3DS. It's more like DQIX 2.3M > DQXI 1.1 M

It's impossible to say if the PS4 cannibalized the 3DS market buyers or if many just double dipped. SE's move, regardless, was genius.

You are misunderstanding something, DQIX was not on 3DS, so the comparison you are doing is not way unfairer than your claim.

DQIX was on a completely different system than DQXI, so you either compare them to both skus together, or you do not compare them at all.

I wonder if Nintendo finally turned a corner on Switch stock. It would be pretty huge if so.

I still think we are mainly seeing the effect of the Splatoon 2 bundles here. The question is, how many weeks do they plan to sell these bundles and what percent of those bundles were saved for week 1.

It could be possible that they intend to sell the bundles well into the fall, just at a slightly lower rate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You are misunderstanding something, DQIX was not on 3DS, so the comparison you are doing is not way unfairer than your claim.

DQIX was on a completely different system than DQXI, so you either compare them to both skus together, or you do not compare them at all.
You can buy DQIX and play it on your 3DS. Check mate atheists.

Top Bottom