• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2017 (Jul 24 - Jul 30)

There's no issue but it's straight up the PS3 game in 1080p. They didn't make any use of the additional power provided by the PS4.

Oh, then yeah I agree with that. Hopefully if Persona 5 Crimson gets a Switch port it takes advantage of its features (aside from portability of course).

XL? More like SL. Switch is already big enough as it is.

its already pretty big as is. its the size of a new 3DS XL when closed without the joycons attached

edit:lol
Hello there:

The above replies ignore that the Switch main unit dimensions are dependable of the Joycon size in terms of height and thickness. With improvements to the SOC the new revisions could be:
  • 1) Same model but lighter and improved battery life. It could be less thicker away from the edges while maintaining at the sides enough space to attach normal sized Joycons. Actually it would be an interesting look with the unit been slimmer but more deep in the sides.
    2)Same form factor and size but with a 7 '' screen. There's seems to be enough space in the cuarrent Switch model to accomodate a screen aproximatly 14% bigger.
  • 3) Anoher model that aso increases the screen size to a 7.2'' LCD but If NIntendo brings back the foldable design they could have the unit of same width as a 3DS XL and retain the same height. Thought it would have more thickness and the screen will fold backwards to not hit the thumbstics. Or fold normally if Nintendo brings back circle pads. Both bringing back circle pads and foldable design seems doubtful.
Either way people have been trained by bigger companies to drag around portables that don't need to be pocket sized. The appeal of a unit with smaller screen size is not as big as in the past, sales data proves this. On the other hand a Bigger screen while retaining similar size would be a net positive in all ways for a future Switch revision.

Finally we need to consider that there are multiple things Nintendo needs to burn before thinking about a smaller screen cheaper super entry level SKU (a 2DS like):
  • Sorting out supply issues of the cuarrent model.
  • After the above, the impact key software to drive the sales of the cuarrent model in a similar price ball park.
  • A die shrink of the APU that would allow cost reduction, battery life improvement and open the way to a XL like revision at similar price and the cuarrent model at a reduced price.
After the above conditions are met, then it might make more sense to introduce the gimped model you guys suggest that it wouldn't even be a Switch and just a low cost of entry way to play Nintendo software.

So you're saying they'll release a Switch without the dock (and some hardware revision on the handheld)?

But they'll still run the same games, right?

That's still a Switch though.

And I don't see any reason for Nintendo to do it. Whatever the dock costs in manufacturing (which wouldn't be much) would be more than made up by Nintendo pushing extra accessories that come with having a home console (mainly extra controllers).

Not sure where to post this but here is my pessimistic take: It takes up the same amount of room as the tablet section so no reason it wouldn't be possible.
I'll be generous and let people choose one restriction to remove.
g4Snuc5.png

Not sure where to post this but here is my pessimistic take: It takes up the same amount of room as the tablet section so no reason it wouldn't be possible.

Nintendo Swizz, lol.

That looks cute though. I'd be tempted to get one and I already own a Switch.

Calm Mind

A Switch without the ability to 'switch' from handheld to console cannot be a Switch.

A Switch without the ability to 'switch' from handheld to console cannot be a Switch.

Yeah, this is where the issue is. A handheld-only Switch would really go against the marketing of the system. They'd have to change the name like 3DS->2DS.

So Swizz would technically work. :p

LordKano

I like how you added a random restriction with the absence of headphone port like it wouldn't make any sense if it wasn't a Nintendo system.

How much would they save on manufacture by not having joycon compatability? Like a dollar

LotusHD

Banned
Yeah, this is where the issue is. A handheld-only Switch would really go against the marketing of the system. They'd have to change the name like 3DS->2DS.

So Swizz would technically work. :p

Even then, the 2DS still makes it relatively clear what it is in comparison to the 3DS.

I'd just go a step further and remove the screen entirely, by the path you're going for this.

In any case, any updates on how DQ is doing this week?

ggx2ac

g4Snuc5_d.jpg

It's the Vita 2! Remove the buttons and screen and you get the Vita 2 TV.

....why would it not support Joy-Cons as an optional accessory for local multiplayer? How much would that really save?

controls-configuration.png

Maybe this patent will be used for the Mini Switch instead of Joycons. I'd say still keep connection to the TV. Screen about the size of a smartphone like the Galaxy S8 Edge.

Garou

It's currently first on the paid charts but it's not in the top 50 for grossing

Idk about numbers tho

On iOS it sits on rank 145 for grossing and is literally the only paid app in the Top200 for grossing.
I really want to know how the numbers compare to the 3DS edition.

KtSlime

Did this thread time travel back to February while I was asleep?

Nintendo still has to support the 2/3DS while it stills has games being released. Switch will replace both the Wii U and 3DS lines and will eventually be the sole machine Nintendo develops for (beside smaho). They will not replace the design of the Switch until they think they can sell more and make more money by doing so. 3rd parties will announce games for Switch either when they are ready or when they are too scared to go their investors meeting without.

ggx2ac

I feel like we're back to the start again.

It's 2015, people won't know yet that they want a Nintendo Switch. There are people that want Nintendo to make a PS4 clone.

The parallel I'm drawing is, people want a Nintendo Switch. Yet there is a vocal minority that want Nintendo to make the Vita.

Why would anyone want a Vita? Or even a Vita TV for that matter?

I've made this argument before that there becomes a point where removing features from the Switch would leave you with an undesirable product.

Yes, I know the 2DS exists. The only reason it exists is because the 3D screen of the 3DS failed to become a unique selling point. So Nintendo did a revision that they could sell for cheaper by cutting down on manufacturing costs.

I am aware the Switch is expensive if you look at it as a handheld, however, don't forget the software is now $60 regularly.

Even if you want Nintendo to make a portable only Switch that is supposed to be cheap to cater for the Kid's market, the games they buy will now cost $60.

So, that's another point. A Switch revision that's portable only with no ability to dock to a TV and no Joy-Cons attached would make buying the $60 software unattractive because you are now buying $60 software for a handheld.

Yagami_Sama

Man, imagine the chaos that this thread will be when Capcom release Monster Hunter World and :

A) - It will sell way more than the Monster Hunter XX for Switch

and the third world war if :

B) - Monster Hunter World sells less than the than Double Cross for Switch.

Sandfox

Man, imagine the chaos that this thread will be when Capcom release Monster Hunter World and :

I don't think anyone expects World to sell less than XX Switch. Things would be crazy is that somehow happened though.

Alrus

This is the expected outcome, so no chaos there.

KtSlime

Do you guys think PS4 will ever get Monster Hunter?

Nah, not even Capcom is that cra...

A lot of the appeal of the switch is this switching between handheld, 2 player, set top design, is it possible people will get tired of that and they change the design? Sure, but the current design is what is capturing the most attention here. Many 5 year old children have iPads these days (or at least the part of Tokyo I live), size, durability, and cost of the switch as is probably isn't as big a factor as many think, at least at the moment. The greatest barrier keeping children away from the switch is the lack of switches.

Nah, not even Capcom is that cra...

A lot of the appeal of the switch is this switching between handheld, 2 player, set top design, is it possible people will get tired of that and they change the design? Sure, but the current design is what is capturing the most attention here. Many 5 year old children have iPads these days (or at least the part of Tokyo I live), size, durability, and cost of the switch as is probably isn't as big a factor as many think, at least at the moment. The greatest barrier keeping children away from the switch is the lack of switches.
I wonder what the price of Bomberman will be :p

MoonFrog

And again, a lot of the Switch features which allow it to be a hybrid also allow it to be a table-top local multiplayer machine and that has to be a portable use case Nintendo is interested in promoting for the sake of getting more people playing the device through playing together.

Joy cons aren't just about the ability to attach them to the grip. They are about the portable use case too.

D.Lo

I honestly think a handheld only Switch will eventually come, but if it's after the main unit has sold 50 million and a bunch of cheaper 'selects' games and downloads are out, there won't be any confusion or software price issues at that point.

The first is obvious - late cheap port of an upgrade of a spinoff, vs a massive budget full push MH5.

If XXNS sells half MHW it would be a shocking success and/or MHW a shocking failure.

Fukuzatsu

I honestly think a handheld only Switch will eventually come, but if it's after the main unit has sold 50 million and a bunch of cheaper 'selects' games and downloads are out, there won't be any confusion or software price issues at that point.

The first is obvious - late cheap port of an upgrade of a spinoff, vs a massive budget full push MH5.

If XXNS sells half MHW it would be a shocking success and/or MHW a shocking failure.

I mean, just anecdotally (I've been to a Best Denki, GEO, and Yodobashi) I've hardly seen any material for MHXX on Switch aside from usually a small poster around the Nintendo area that says it's coming out this month.

On the other side, Sony/Capcom has pamphlets in the PS4 section for a game not coming out for months from now. No mention of XO (obviously) or PC versions so for all intents and purpose anyone coming into the store will see it as a PS4 exclusive.

This is the pamphlet, only has a couple pages:
Syn2AK2.jpg

Ph4jNUJ.jpg

Back has release dates and and ads for Crash, DQXI, and Everyone's Golf, along with the models of PS4 on sale.

Top Bottom