• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2011 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Aeana

onken said:
I love the way everybody is completely taking Aeana's unsourced post as absolute fact. I'm going through the Amazon 1-star reviews now and they're all just complaining about the lazy port job. Some of the more common complaints:

- ad-hoc connection process complicated and not explained at all
- low res HUD and icons, general UI issues
- it's quite easy to wipe your PSP save by accident by transferring in the wrong direction
- no control configuration

I was going to do more but there are so many complaints I don't know where to stop. Of course we really know that there's no problems at all and they're just making it up because everyone hates Korea.
There were way, way more blatantly obvious reviews of the sort I mentioned before. They were removed by Amazon. There was a group of people on 2ch organizing this - it was happening. I personally don't even like Monster Hunter and I wouldn't be surprised if the port has plenty of issues either. I'm just relaying what I was shown and told by Segata, who asked me to let you guys know. I don't appreciate you acting like I made it up or was making excuses for the poor ratings. I really, really could not care less about the game.

Skimmed through this week's famitsu at the book store, some interesting sales data on 3ds game before and after the price cut:

One peice -> 2818 -> 2430 -> 11304
Nintendogs -> 4259 -> 3567 -> 15449
Zelda 8253 -> 3896 -> 24079

Mpl90 said:
FFDog, how is the situation about MH, PS3, 3DS, Black Rock, etc. etc. ?

Pretty much what Chris said, not seeing any sale outs in my area(Besides black rock premium edition) , at the same time not seeing any price cuts, online most retailers are reporting excellent sales for MHP3HD

donny2112

Dash Kappei said:
Nope, only LTD.
Mario tracked better than Touched during the launch period, >100k difference by year's end

I was wondering how in the world you could be so wrong, then checked Media Create, and that matches that "> 100K difference by year's end" thing. However using Media Create doesn't work with your "LTD" comment. MC has SM64DS still ahead of Wario in LTD. Think you may have gotten them mixed up there.

Famitsu had them dead even at the end of 2005 with Wario Ware a few units ahead, and Wario stayed ahead from there on out. Main point was that having Mario wasn't some kind of trump card for sales, when even Wario Ware can sell as much or more.

Dash Kappei said:
Regardless, my argument was that at the moment it's totally unfair to make a comparison between the old-gen handhelds and 3DS's launch regarding software tie-ratio, 3DS is still faring better than it should really (ie poor, imo).

That's fine. Not sure myself about it, but I still like seeing the numbers. Raw total software is more meaningful to me than tie ratios, though, as similar tie ratios doesn't mean much when the total hardware is so far behind.

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
Another gaming survey from 4Gamer. Much bigger participation this time, 14000.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/000/G000000/20110826043/

Just reading through it. Average participant is 28 years old. 95% are male. 85% are single. They note it's not exactly representative of the "general public." :)

As far as systems go ...

68% own a PSP compared to 58% with a DS
55% own a PS3, 38% a Wii, 31% a 360

Definitely not matching general purchase trends. :lol

57% plan to purchase a PSVita. Next highest is 24% planning to buy a PS3.

69% purchase games through Amazon.

thestopsign said:
I think the point trying to be made is that having Mario is better than not having Mario at launch of a handheld Nintendo system.

Well, yeah. Just pointing out that Mario doesn't automatically equal blockbuster. 3DS is the first one without a launch Mario game, though, if you exclude GBC. Super Mario Land (or did it come out later in Japan?), Super Mario Advance, Super Mario 64 DS.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:
Just reading through it. Average participant is 28 years old. 95% are male. 85% are single. They note it's not exactly representative of the "general public." :)
The article itself says that mostly core gamers voted.

donny2112 said:
Well, yeah. Just pointing out that Mario doesn't automatically equal blockbuster. 3DS is the first one without a launch Mario game, though, if you exclude GBC. Super Mario Land (or did it come out later in Japan?), Super Mario Advance, Super Mario 64 DS.
No, SML was a launch game. For different Nintendo handhelds and their first Mario platformers:

Game Boy: 04/21/89
Super Mario Land: 04/21/89

Game Boy Color: 10/21/98
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe: 03/01/01

Game Boy Advance: 03/21/01
Super Mario Advance: 03/21/01

Nintendo DS: 12/02/04
Super Mario 64 DS: 12/02/04

Nintendo DSi: 11/01/08
n/a

Nintendo 3DS: 02/26/11
Super Mario 3D Land: 11/XX/11

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Siince FFDOG found the numbers we have the rise for all 3DS games that made Famitsu top 30 except Layton

Famitsu Sales: Week 33, 2011 (Aug 08 - Aug 14)

02./00. [3DS] Pokemon Rumble Blast <ACT> (Pokemon Co.) {2011.08.11} (¥4.800) - 91.613 / NEW
08./00. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.06.16} (¥4.800) - 24.079 / 320.026 (+518%)
11./00. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800) - 15.449 / 287.424 (+333%)
17./00. [3DS] One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP <ADV> (Bandai Namco) {2011.05.26} (¥6.090) - 11.304 / 147.986 (+365%)
22./00. [3DS] Star Fox 64 3D <STG> (Nintendo) {2011.07.14} (¥4.800) - 7.251 / 62.397 (+108%)
25./00. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle <ADV> (Level 5) {2011.02.26} (¥5.980) - 6.389 / 318.167

onken

Aeana said:
There were way, way more blatantly obvious reviews of the sort I mentioned before. They were removed by Amazon. There was a group of people on 2ch organizing this - it was happening. I personally don't even like Monster Hunter and I wouldn't be surprised if the port has plenty of issues either. I'm just relaying what I was shown and told by Segata, who asked me to let you guys know. I don't appreciate you acting like I made it up or was making excuses for the poor ratings. I really, really could not care less about the game.

Oh they were removed how convenient. Even if it was true, a handful of forum drama does not a accurate cultural picture paint. I've lived in Japan now for a long time and Korea is more popular than ever, it's quite frankly a load of shit that there's some wide-spread foreigner hate going on here, just a vocal minority as you will find in any country.

Also If Segata wants to post something then I suggest he does it himself and you stop passing on second-hand forum drama from some self-banned drama queen.

onken said:
Korea is more popular than ever,

This is the reason the vocal minority is taking action now.

I don't think Aenea ever claimed anything about wide-spread Korean hate. It's the truth though(especially if you look at 2ch aggregate blogs) that there is a small group of fanatics taking harassment action against companies that are promoting Korean products(if you want me to go dig out links to tons of other amazon products related to Korea and their amazon reviews I can get them). Just this past week the 4000+ people protesting in front of Fuji TV etc...

Ratrat

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

I don't think Aenea ever claimed anything about wide-spread Korean hate. It's the truth though(especially if you look at 2ch aggregate blogs) that there is a small group of fanatics taking harassment action against companies that are promoting Korean products(if you want me to go dig out links to tons of other amazon products related to Korea and their amazon reviews I can get them).
I don't think anyones contesting that? Its to be expected as any where else. As sad as it is.

Erethian

Chris1964 said:
The article itself says that mostly core gamers voted.

Doesn't really allow for those figures to be meaningfully extrapolated, in that case. Unless one also determined what size the core gamer market is.

After one defined what the term 'core gamer' means.

Erethian said:
Doesn't really allow for those figures to be meaningfully extrapolated, in that case. Unless one also determined what size the core gamer market is.

%31 of the voters own a 360; 360 already outsold by 3DS.

The expected. Core gamers love Sony. ahaha
thx Chris. And dang!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Erethian said:

Of course the figures can't be extrapolated for the whole market. It's something like gaf voting. But they show the trend among a kind of gamers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29841152&postcount=111

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29847061&postcount=114

onken

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

I don't think Aenea ever claimed anything about wide-spread Korean hate. It's the truth though(especially if you look at 2ch aggregate blogs) that there is a small group of fanatics taking harassment action against companies that are promoting Korean products(if you want me to go dig out links to tons of other amazon products related to Korea and their amazon reviews I can get them). Just this past week the 4000+ people protesting in front of Fuji TV etc...

Exactly it's a small group. Yet he talks about how it's such a "hot topic" and then follows it up with the Fuji TV story without any context (e.g. it's only a minority, Korea is in fact very popular here). It gives a distorted picture of the situation.

Chris1964 said:
Of course the figures can't be extrapolated for the whole market. It's something like gaf voting. But they show the trend among a kind of gamers.

I believe even gaf voting won't be this disproportional compared to the whole market. SMG was voted GotY and II was voted 3rd. DS game threads seems to be much more popular than PSP ones.

Erethian

Chris1964 said:

No, what I mean is they can't be extrapolated even to the core gamer market because we don't know how big that market is.

The only thing we can really say is that this represents the views of the 14,000 people who took the survey.

onken said:
It gives a distorted picture of the situation.

again, I don't think it's fair to blame Aenea here.

The problem is 2ch aggregate blogs, they tend to enjoy distorting things to generate hype/hits. If you only read them it would be to easy to believe Japan wants all traces of Korea removed from the country.

We see this all the time in fun cases when these sites take up headlines like GAME/system COMPLETE TOTAL SALES BOMB! When it's one single store doing a special loss leader promotion. They are the source of quite a many false rumors that spread to the English internet land(Japanese users have learned to to take them with a grain of salt)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ytlen.png

BKK

What does "Mh" stand for?

The fact that user reviews can be easily manipulated makes them pretty much worthless. There's no way to know what percentage are genuine or false.

donny2112 said:
Which was outsold by Wario Ware: Touched! and wasn't even the first million-seller on the system. Just having a Mario game, even a true Mario game, at launch doesn't necessarily make things a lot better. :)

So DS had two potential million seller at launch, ahah!
Mario is an important IP to begin with, no doubts, better than Steel Diver and Pilotwings for sure. Maybe Nintendo thought Nintendogs would have been as good as Mario in commercial terms... But Mario can approach a wider audience and it seems a sort of tradition to have a Nintendo system witha Mario on it; it would have helped a bit in my opinion.

Jackano

electroplankton said:
Mario is an important IP to begin with, no doubts, better than Steel Diver and Pilotwings for sure. Maybe Nintendo thought Nintendogs would have been as good as Mario in commercial terms... But Mario can approach a wider audience and it seems a sort of tradition to have a Nintendo system witha Mario on it; it would have helped a bit in my opinion.

Well this Mario tradition isn't the rule anymore. The GC involved Luigi, then GBA and DS had Mario (but there were remakes), and Wii did very well without Mario (but had Link in the other hand).

The Nintendogs for 3DS situation is a little, not akward, but I can't explain it myself:

Nintendogs is mostly casual. I think what's explainable, is that it will be a long-seller, if it comes out earlier in the system lifespan, that's a good thing for a long-seller.

What I don't understand from Nintendo, is that the 3DS price point and the only fact this is a new system doesn't make things for the casual market. What's the point to have a game for it, instead of a more universal appealing game like Mario?

And I think this is another problem the 3DS had this year. Many casual gamers, or just many people that are not hardcore gamers used to buy new systems, judged the system like it was already the DS back in 2006 (the DS Lite with its 2 years library).
But the 3DS isn't this system, it's new, expansive, and its library only have 6 months, not 18 or 24.

Sorry for the off-topic, the japanese sales are awesome :D

Jackano said:
And I think this is another problem the 3DS had this year. Many casual gamers, or just many people that are not hardcore gamers used to buy new systems, judged the system like it was already the DS back in 2006 (the DS Lite with its 2 years library).
But the 3DS isn't this system, it's new, expansive, and its library only have 6 months, not 18 or 24.

Actually, also many video games news, website and journalists thought like this.
3DS is growing and at the end of the year it will be fairly good, with almost all genres covered by at least one good title and important IP, first and third party.

BurntPork

Banned
donny2112 said:

As far as systems go ...

68% own a PSP compared to 58% with a DS
55% own a PS3, 38% a Wii, 31% a 360

Definitely not matching general purchase trends. :lol

57% plan to purchase a PSVita. Next highest is 24% planning to buy a PS3.

69% purchase games through Amazon.
Yeah, that's completely useless. Obvious Sony tilt. I bet the last one hit a similar audience.

electroplankton said:
Hmm. This goes into the early days of sales data, but is two the record? Wii also had two in Wii Sports and Wii Play. Looking at some older lists of million sellers I don't think NES/SNES/GB had multiple, but I don't recognize all of their launch games. I thought GB had two, but it looks like Tetris was a few months after launch in Japan.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hmm. This goes into the early days of sales data, but is two the record? Wii also had two in Wii Sports and Wii Play. Looking at some older lists of million sellers I don't think NES/SNES/GB had multiple, but I don't recognize all of their launch games. I thought GB had two, but it looks like Tetris was a few months after launch in Japan.

And 3DS? Just Nintendogs+Cats, but its sales behaviour is slower than WarioWare or Wii Sports.

JoshuaJSlone said:

Famicom's launch line-up was pathetic (donkey kong, donkey kong jr, Popeye)

But you extend it to 2 months and you have 2 games over 1.5mil: Mario Brothers and Mahjong

Aeana

onken said:
Oh they were removed how convenient. Even if it was true, a handful of forum drama does not a accurate cultural picture paint. I've lived in Japan now for a long time and Korea is more popular than ever, it's quite frankly a load of shit that there's some wide-spread foreigner hate going on here, just a vocal minority as you will find in any country.

Also If Segata wants to post something then I suggest he does it himself and you stop passing on second-hand forum drama from some self-banned drama queen.
I wasn't going to respond to this, since it seems like you've already made up your mind about me (you seem to think I don't understand Japanese, have never lived in Japan, have no perspective on racism in Japan, etc., which are all wrong, but it doesn't matter), but I wanted to clear one thing up. The only reason I mentioned Segata in the post is to make it clear that I'm not some MH fan trying to make excuses for the poor ratings. I think the real reason you're upset is because I didn't post sources for my information and in turn made the situation look worse than it actually is. So apologies for that, even if it wasn't my intent to stir anything up.

onken

Aeana said:
I wasn't going to respond to this, since it seems like you've already made up your mind about me (you seem to think I don't understand Japanese, have never lived in Japan, have no perspective on racism in Japan, etc., which are all wrong, but it doesn't matter), but I wanted to clear one thing up. The only reason I mentioned Segata in the post is to make it clear that I'm not some MH fan trying to make excuses for the poor ratings. I think the real reason you're upset is because I didn't post sources for my information and in turn made the situation look worse than it actually is. So apologies for that, even if it wasn't my intent to stir anything up.

I'm just going to PM you so we don't derail the thread any further.

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
If 3DS had Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3DLand at launch things wouldn't be just better but much better.

But then we might not be having a 10,000 Yen/$80 price drop or 20 free VC games on the system. 3DS might have limped well enough along to delay an initial price drop to the point that Vita took too much of the market. (Or the price drop may not do much else and Vita may still take the market due to late arriving system sellers.) Postulating is fun. :)

I agree that LTD would've been better before 3 weeks ago with a Mario game at launch, but the overall lifespan of the 3DS may be better now that Nintendo had to massively reset the price on the system to get it into more hands before their traditional system sellers come out.

Better case would've been a more reasonable launch price (e.g. 18K/20K Yen or $200) and more "big" first-party games at launch. Another good side effect of the 3DS price fiasco is that Wii U may not make the same mistakes now. All in all, the way things have turned out for 3DS thus far may actually have been better for the system and Nintendo as a whole for the long-term. :)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
donny2112 said:
But then we might not be having a 10,000 Yen/$80 price drop or 20 free VC games on the system. 3DS might have limped well enough along to delay an initial price drop to the point that Vita took too much of the market. (Or the price drop may not do much else and Vita may still take the market due to late arriving system sellers.) Postulating is fun. :)

I agree that LTD would've been better before 3 weeks ago with a Mario game at launch, but the overall lifespan of the 3DS may be better now that Nintendo had to massively reset the price on the system to get it into more hands before their traditional system sellers come out.

Better case would've been a more reasonable launch price (e.g. 18K/20K Yen or $200) and more "big" first-party games at launch. Another good side effect of the 3DS price fiasco is that Wii U may not make the same mistakes now. All in all, the way things have turned out for 3DS thus far may actually have been better for the system and Nintendo as a whole for the long-term. :)

I agree: like Wii has inherited all the experiences done after the initial DS little numbers, Wii U can have a brighter future than what would have happened if 3DS had a solid post launch performance.
Ah... that love seems monstrous!

wrowa

Chris1964 said:
Maybe not real but some Japanese are in love with PSP.

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/hatima/imgs/6/0/60173049.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That can't be true. According to 4Gamer Japanese gamers don't have girlfriends. Clearly faked!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Great sales for Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, I was one of the rare people who enjoyed the game and from what they revealed the second one improves in many levels.

It would be nice to see NIS America release it, but I am not counting on it. The fact that we got the first game was a miracle in and of itself.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Great sales for Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, I was one of the rare people who enjoyed the game and from what they revealed the second one improves in many levels.

It would be nice to see NIS America release it, but I am not counting on it. The fact that we got the first game was a miracle in and of itself.

Except:

Siliconera said:
Oh one more thing… there are lots of requests for Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk-2.

[NISA President Haru Akenaga:] No problem.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oh snap, if that is true you made my day :)

I was going to import it, but I can wait a couple of months for a potential USA announcement.

enishi

Chris1964 said:
Maybe not real but some Japanese are in love with PSP.

60173049.jpg
Feeling really bad but have to say, the photo was taken in Hong Kong MTR (same as tube in UK)

The cabin is totally different from JR one...

Vinnk

"Vinnk's Village" report for August 29th, 2011

1. Wow, I go away for a year and everything goes crazy. (Wii tanks, PSP remains, 3DS.. who knows?)

2. The 3DS is not supply constrained at any store in my town (though I only went to 3 this week)

3. My students are finally starting to talk about the 3DS more than the DS. If you are 9 years old it is no longer cool to be seen with your DS LL. 3DS is now the new hotness.

3.5. Unless you are 13, then you better have a PSP.

4. I am seeing more and more adults on the train playing games on their iPads. I have seen Chaos RIngs being played once. Monster Hunter Dynamic Slash a few time and "Cut The Rope" several time.

5. The bargain bin of one of the stores in my town has had 3 copies of Captain Rainbow for about 2 years now. Today I decided to buy them before the covers get all sun damaged. They deserve better than that. So add 3 copies of Captain Rainbow to whatever number you had on file.

Missed you guys.

saichi

Vinnk said:
"Vinnk's Village" report for August 29th, 2011

5. The bargain bin of one of the stores in my town has had 3 copies of Captain Rainbow for about 2 years now. Today I decided to buy them before the covers get all sun damaged. They deserve better than that. So add 3 copies of Captain Rainbow to whatever number you had on file.

Missed you guys.

3 copies of Captain Rainbow? What are you gonna do with them?

Top Bottom