• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It also said MH5 would be open world, which is also sort of true. Also there has been some streamlining in gathering and item mgmt so that's also not entirely wrong either.

Cross Cross vs Double Cross seems like semantics if both are written XX, meanwhile everyone figured it'd be called XG. The post also said PS4 exclusive for MH5 but also PC so it sort of contradicted itself. It never mentioned XB1, that info first came from Matt here on Neogaf.
This stuff came out early last year. So a lot of that can be attributed to things changing. The overall points and specifications are surpringly on point though.

Even mentions no local multiplayer which as now still is not in the game.

Funny thing, I just went to the first post you quoted and it has titles in there, and a nice looking 'etc.' It's meant to be a general statement.
------
It doesn't matter what I want, thread is already on the way to it.

I don't get what is funny. Western titles are missing from the list. All you need to do is mention the titles that drastically reshape the list. What are they?

This is not a difficult question and you aren't a victim of the thread. You're actually just dodging at this point and it's dumb.

I'll look up the titles myself and post it after work since you're just gonna sit here and waste our time.

Fukuzatsu

Cross Cross vs Double Cross seems like semantics if both are written XX, meanwhile everyone figured it'd be called XG.

I mean, if this is the kind of scenario where someone is passing me a grimey note in a bathroom stall that just has 'Monster Hunter XX' scribbled on it with no context or whatever, I can understand, but seeing as this rumour includes a lot of superfluous details about intra-corporate strife I find this kind of mistake hard to believe. If you only ever see it written down you might be forgiven for thinking it is 'Cross-Cross' rather than Double Cross, but if you're at the point where you hear about internal politics at Capcom, I imagine you heard the title of the game spoken at least once.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I mean, if this is the kind of scenario where someone is passing me a grimey note in a bathroom stall that just has 'Monster Hunter XX' scribbled on it with no context or whatever, I can understand, but seeing as this rumour includes a lot of superfluous details about intra-corporate strife I find this kind of mistake hard to believe. If you only ever see it written down you might be forgiven for thinking it is 'Cross-Cross' rather than Double Cross, but if you're at the point where you hear about internal politics at Capcom, I imagine you heard the title of the game spoken at least once.
Sounds like an English speaker from the Sony side of the deal. That or capcom us if we were to work under the assumption that if's real (which obviously it may still not be).

Honestly, dropping into this thread and reading the past few pages, it sounds like you guys are demanding Fdkn support an argument he isn't making. Regardless of whatever agenda he may or may not have.

D.Lo

What happened in here? Why are we back to discussing this old rumor?
On this page (last now) primarily because an ignorant poster claimed it got nothing right, which is patently false, and has continued doubling down on more false claims about it.

So it originally wasn't so much a discussion so much on the validity of the rumour itself, but what it said at all.

LordRaptor

The source of the rumour says its from someone he plays WOW with, so its entirely possible it was via textchat rather than vent

Honestly, dropping into this thread and reading the past few pages, it sounds like you guys are demanding Fdkn support an argument he isn't making. Regardless of whatever agenda he may or may not have.

Why are Japan games the gold standard for third party support in Japan?

Because Japanese titles are the major drivers of growth in the market.

Where are we forcing an argument that isn't being made? Saying there are good selling western titles isn't news. We talk about minecraft and GTA and CoD all the time.

Fiendcode

Sounds like nitpicking. Cross Cross could be XX, this isn't exactly an unrealistic leap here despite your romantic scenario. And it certainly sticks out when leaked at a time everyone was chanting XG.

LordKano

What happened in here? Why are we back to discussing this old rumor?

Before MHW was announced : the rumor is true because it means MH on my console.
After MHW was announced : the rumor is actually false because it would mean new MH games on that other console.
And vice-versa.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Sounds like nitpicking. Cross Cross could be XX, this isn't exactly an unrealistic leap here despite your romantic scenario. And it certainly sticks out when leaked at a time everyone was chanting XG.
The xx itself matters little it's everything afterwards when combined with that paints a picture that maybe this guy's source actually did know something.

Fiendcode

Agreed. His transparent driveby wasn't worth the response and I regret engaging.

Before MHW was announced : the rumor is true because it means MH on my console
After MHW was announced : the rumor is actually false because it would mean new MH games on that other console
Completely true but being fair it can also work the other way.

Fukuzatsu

Not to speak for Fdkn, but what I imagine the point regarding 3rd-party games was this:
In previous posts about 3rd-party support, there were a lot of qualifiers of 'Japanese-developed 3rd-party titles', and this seemed undue, considering the market in Japan is at a point where it will buy games like GTAV in greater numbers than say, Yakuza 6 (the nearest domestic equivalent in terms of genre, theming, and budget).

So, in talking about support for the Switch, even in Japan, it seems restrictive to focus so heavily on Japanese titles only, to the point that you would start listing Spelunker and Fate Extella as 'notable' but ignore releases like Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or AssCreed, or Destiny, or whatever.

LordKano

Agreed. His transparent driveby wasn't worth the response and I regret engaging.

You're absolutely right. I personally was arguing, before E3, that this rumor was nonsense, but even I have to accept that the dude was spot-on. There's too much infos for this to be a coincidence.

Fdkn

Not to speak for Fdkn, but what I imagine the point regarding 3rd-party games was this:
In previous posts about 3rd-party support, there were a lot of qualifiers of 'Japanese-developed 3rd-party titles', and this seemed undue, considering the market in Japan is at a point where it will buy games like GTAV in greater numbers than say, Yakuza 6 (the nearest domestic equivalent in terms of genre, theming, and budget).

So, in talking about support for the Switch, even in Japan, it seems restrictive to focus so heavily on Japanese titles only, to the point that you would start listing Spelunker and Fate Extella as 'notable' but ignore releases like Call of Duty, or Battlefield, or AssCreed, or Destiny, or whatever.

Thanks, that's about it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Basically.

It was a bat shit crazy rumour either way. That it got so much right is what is absurd. If the rumour is even remotely true on the corporate side, that sure, is something...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Its basically Capcom being Capcom which leads to its credibility lol
Revelaitions is still my favourite capcom moment. How the fuck do you misspell the games god damn title on a mass produced product. Did not a single English speaker in the entire company not notice this?

He is totally capable of making this point himself. The reason why he isn't is because no one is implying Fate Excella is more notable than CoD. They are saying that success in the Japanese market is dictated largely by Japanese publisher presence so support from those publishers is of higher importance.

No one has ever implied Western titles sales don't matter to the overall market. They just don't dictate it hence why they are generaally ignored. That's not conversial. Everyone will acknowledge the growth of Western games. Western titles of significant importance like GTA, Minecraft or Cod are always acknowledged for reference.

Fiendcode

They are saying that success in the Japanese market is dictated largely by Japanese publisher presence so support from those publishers is of higher importance.
This also works in reverse. Japanese publisher support is greatly influenced by platform success in the Japanese marketplace. So outlining that support is relevant in a way outlining western support wouldn't be, as virtually nothing about the Japanese market dictates western support beyond localization in the region.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
He is totally capable of making this point himself. The reason why he isn't is because no one is implying Fate Excella is more notable than CoD. They are saying that success in the Japanese market is dictated largely by Japanese publisher presence so support from those publishers is of higher importance.

No one has ever implied Western titles sales don't matter to the overall market. They just don't dictate it hence why they are generaally ignored. That's not conversial. Everyone will acknowledge the growth of Western games. Western titles of significant importance like GTA, Minecraft or Cod are always acknowledged for reference.
If you check historical data you will see that western sales become less important even on PS4 that is the only system that benefits from them. From the moment Japanese companies increased output they took over the big share. If you count the entire market western sales represent a very small percentage. In fact the only real system seller can be considered Minecraft on Vita, a system with zero western support.

Life I said before until the end of the year PS4 software output is weak for Japanese publishers and strong for western, comparing to 2016. It will become obvious how much they can carry the system.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Thanks, that's about it.

I think that even nowadays looking at how the market approaches 3ds and PS4 in Japan, despite the growth of western sales and the decline of some Japanese series, a console (in japan) should be judge by its Japanese support more than its western one
You could argue that fate is non relevant compared to COD, and I agree but...

Fdkn

a console (in japan) should be judge by its Japanese support more than its western one

And where have I said anything against this? It's like you (not -you- personally) take my simple point and stretch it to the point it has nothing to do with what I said.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Are we expecting Nintendo direct after TGS?
Last year's fall direct was at September 1. This year's won't be very far from that date and certainly before TGS. Maybe you'll see bigger focus on third parties this time since I don't expect Nintendo to announce the same amount of first party titles.

Do people think Nintendo will port Smash 4 or just make a new Smash 5?

If you're developing the game, you want to add the Rabbids, Squid Kid, Twintelle, and a few other characters, maybe balance a few things or make some more additions, and then... you're already close to a Smash 5.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I still think Smash 4 Deluxe happens but after they announce 5.

I think Mario Maker Deluxe is dead and replaced by Mario Maker 2.

The only other Wii U ports I can see in the near future are Xenoblade Chronicles X and maybe Tokyo Mirage Sessions just to bring some more rpgs to the system.

Would 9 even runs on Switch ? It already looks absolutely awful on a PS4.
The Vita version of 8 makes a strong argument that they don't care how poorly a ported version runs if it occasionally looks fine.

There's a mission in DW8 that involves ships on fire and it runs at 10-15 FPS the entire time on the Vita. Torches on screen can slow that version down to a crawl.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo will go with one Smash this generation like every previous. It will be either 4DX or 5. The longer it takes to release chances for a port decrease.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's funny how much people talk about Wii U to Switch ports as if there were so many of them by Nintendo.

Back in the NX days there were multiple credible rumors about a whole list of ports and the only one that came true besides Breath of the Wild was MK8D . Splatoon 2 is clearly a sequel though that originally was thought to be more of a deluxe edition. Pokémon Sun and Moon were another, fueled by the lack of streetpass, less useful second screen features and other 3DS nonsense not being in those games. Smash 4 was the other no brainer quick remaster bandied around, as was Super Mario Maker.

Fukuzatsu

It's funny how much people talk about Wii U to Switch ports as if there were so many of them by Nintendo.

I don't know about 'by Nintendo', but so far, including announced games, there's technically 4 I can think of:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (originally developed for WiiU, simultaneous cross-gen release)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Fast RMX
Pokken Tournament Deluxe

Splatoon 2 is not a port but feels like a sort of Splatoon 1.5 since they re-use some maps from the first game, but at the end of the day it isn't a port. Still, with 3 or 4 ports in less than half a year, maybe it just seems like there's a lot of them.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
We can talk about western support. I would like to know how Undertale is doing. Is Rocket League important in Japan? But western publisher decisions are set in stone right now: PS4, then PC, then XBO and, perhaps some scraps, for Switch. There's little that the conditions on the Japanese market can do to change it. And if there is a big event that changes publisher's priorities, It will be discussed at the NPD threads most likely.

This why I think that discussions here centers about the behaviour of Japanese publishers.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Wii U late ports on Switch or 3DS that were succesful but missed a big amount of sales because of low userbase make perfect sense. Smash 4 isn't exactly in this category though since it was a multimillion Wii U/3DS release.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Smash 4 deluxe with 3ds contents redone with wii u assets, plus some new characters and related amiibo
Can't see sakurai do a brand new episode from ground zero without Iwata push/commitment after the fatigue suffered in developing both 3ds and Wii u versions at the same time

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii U late ports on Switch or 3DS that were succesful but missed a big amount of sales because of low userbase make perfect sense. Smash 4 isn't exactly in this category though since it was a multimillion Wii U/3DS release.

They'll eventually get a competent port house to do 4 or melee and then they'll just do the rest. It's inevitable though it might take a few more consoles. Old Smash compilations is just money left on the table.

Last generation was exceptionally long. This is simply the new normal.

That didn't go well last gen though.

People got bored with the PS3, 360, and Wii at the end and game sales were bad near the end of the gen.

The PS5 probably won't come out until 2020 because of bad chip development timing, but I don't know if these long generations will be a future trend because I don't think a game machine can stay popular for 6+ years.

I don't know about 'by Nintendo', but so far, including announced games, there's technically 4 I can think of:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (originally developed for WiiU, simultaneous cross-gen release)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Fast RMX
Pokken Tournament Deluxe

Splatoon 2 is not a port but feels like a sort of Splatoon 1.5 since they re-use some maps from the first game, but at the end of the day it isn't a port. Still, with 3 or 4 ports in less than half a year, maybe it just seems like there's a lot of them.

Plus Lego City Undercover.

Top Bottom