• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2017 (Aug 14 - Aug 20)

Linkura

Maybe you should go back and look at the initial sales numbers for Yo-kai Watch.

I know Yo-kai Watch was a slow burn initially, and that there's a chance of a boom happening here too. It's just kind of fun to shit on Level 5 and their business practices, though. :/ I think duckroll understands where I'm coming from there.

Busaiku

Weird sentence about level 5
Probably the most successful company in Japan about new IP results in the last decade
Also the worst company at maintaining IP strength for a long time, and not new to failure/tepid responses.
Can't forget Fantasy Life, Little Battlers, Ni no Kuni (in Japan), their mobile output for the most part.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The anemic switch supply seems to be masking how bad other hardware is.

🙄

Can you guys knock it off with this whose right whose wrong over predictions shit? The whole thing is suppose to be in good spirit, leave it as such.

Also the worst company at maintaining IP strength for a long time, and not new to failure/tepid responses.
Can't forget Fantasy Life, Little Battlers, Ni no Kuni (in Japan), their mobile output for the most part.

Level 5 strikes me as the type of company that would rather release 5 tepid to okayish products to hit it big on the odd one. It's the kids market and that makes it pretty volatile by nature so I get the approach

Weird sentence about level 5
Probably the most successful company in Japan about new IP results in the last decade

Yet it certainly isn't their strategy to release a new multimedia project to underwhelming sales in preparation of the real sales boost one year later, because they lucked out that one time.

Lizardus

Didn't Nintendo stock go up crazy after they announced MHXX bundles? Could they have commissioned more bundles after that in response?

Zedark

Didn't Nintendo stock go up crazy after they announced MHXX bundles? Could they have commissioned more bundles after that in response?
More generally, the stock went up because of MHXX announcement itself, not the bundle. They could have increased the available bundles regardless, of course.

lyrick

Dragon Quest Comparison
dragon.jpg

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------
|    | Dragon Quest VIII |  Dragon Quest IX  |  Dragon Quest XI  | 
|    | [PS2]  2004/11/27 | [NDS]  2009/07/11 |[3DSPS4] 2017/07/29| 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|---------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   | 
|  1 |2.167.072|2.167.072|2.318.932|2.318.932|2.099.203|2.099.203| 
|  2 |  476.281|2.643.353|  612.671|2.931.603|  508.512|2.607.714|
|  3 |  203.618|2.846.971|  270.305|3.201.908|  207.762|2.815.476|
|  4 |  152.295|2.999.266|  179.612|3.381.520|  117.248|2.932.725|
|  5 |  104.211|3.103.477|  135.649|3.517.169|         |         |
|  6 |   71.019|3.174.496|  126.682|3.643.851|         |         |
|  7 |   37.507|3.212.003|   79.103|3.722.954|         |         |
|  8 |   23.858|3.235.861|   71.318|3.794.272|         |         |
|  9 |        ?|        ?|   50.063|3.844.335|         |         |
| 10 |        ?|        ?|   36.877|3.881.212|         |         |
| 11 |        ?|        ?|   32.603|3.913.815|         |         |
| 12 |        ?|        ?|   30.086|3.943.901|         |         |
|Year|   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   |   YTD   |   LTD   | 
|Total        -|3.319.607|        -|4.143.999|        -|2.932.725|      
------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there any reason to believe that DQXI will not continue to follow the same retail sell through trajectory of DQVIII even with two distinct SKUs?
Will the NSW version be a wild card or another late to the party release?

Switch dropped quite a bit, though it's probably due to stock being held for the MHXX bundle next week.

reposted from the other thread

Switch drop very significant. Was really hoping they would stay over 50K. Obviously the demand isn't the issue so they just need to fix the manufacturing issues.

With all of the restocks we've seen in North America over the last week, maybe they focused the stock over here, which negatively impacted Japan?

Majmun

Switch situation feels like an extremely shaken champagne bottle with a cork that just doesn't want to move.

Switch drop very significant. Was really hoping they would stay over 50K. Obviously the demand isn't the issue so they just need to fix the manufacturing issues.

With all of the restocks we've seen in North America over the last week, maybe they focused the stock over here, which negatively impacted Japan?

Europe too has gotten better shipments. Switch is currently in stock in every european regional Amazon except spanish amazon..

Europe too has gotten better shipments. Switch is currently in stock in every european regional Amazon except spanish amazon..

I guess it's possible they have increased production some but after a month of those extra shipments going to Japan they finally focused on the west to help out in those area's.

Celine

The anemic switch supply seems to be masking how bad other hardware is.
The japanese console market situation was already determined before Switch release.
PS4 and 3DS are holding out good (they are up YoY) but neither have demonstrated they could drive the market (3DS did his part years ago but it is now too old).
Everything else is either dying (Vita which need to thanks Minecraft for a longer than expected lifespan) or dead (XBO, WiiU).
Only Switch is the unknown variable here (although now we have a few signs from the first few months of availability).

Minsc

Gold Member
Like your previous estimates for Switch stock during July and August you are totally off if you think Nintendo would bother to make a bundle and ship only 10k.

You could sometimes try and not be so harsh, you know. And my predictions were actually not half bad, certainly in the ball park. Some parts didn't pan out, true, but others did.

If hardware is 40k for ARMS, and it goes back to 20k next week, I'll make a wild guess that Switch hardware for Splatoon 2's release month won't top 200k. (That's like maybe 75k release week, then 30k the next 3 weeks after).

Hardware was ~40k for ARMS (~38k) and the subsequent week it was ~20k (~22k. and it basically stayed in the 20k range right up until Splatoon 2, except just breaking 30k the week prior to Splatoon 2), yet you made it a point to call me out anyway, pointing out that using using Famitsu hardware was 49k and it fell to 27k next week, not sure why, but you did.

I was off with the hardware level for Splatoon 2 sure (initial guess wasn't too horrible, I was mostly wrong on it staying high for 3 weeks), it was close to ~100k, and stayed there a while (~90k the next week, then ~60k, then ~90k again the fourth week), but now we're at ~22k. And I'm not sure what to make of that, it'll take another couple weeks to get an idea what is going on again with the hardware. But I did preface it with it being a wild guess, so it's not like I was presenting my prediction with being anything more relevant than for my own amusement.

Anyway, all I saw about the MHXX bundle was how limited stock it would be, so I finally caved and wanted to see what people thought limited stock for the hardware bundle would be. I guess your range of 20-50k worth of bundles is still limited sounding, but I not quite as limited as I was thinking based on the earlier posts I read, which I fully admitted I didn't really know where to convert limited to in numbers, especially given I hadn't seen any else take a stab at it previously.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I have already spent t many words in explaining the business model mutated by the toy and cartoon market so I will not repeat my self
Fact is: catching good lighting in a bottle of only happened twice to L5 but many more time
Looking g at their new IP launched since Layton so far they have been even more successfully in penetrating the market with brand new videogame franchise

The current industry talk is actually NAND (and RAM) chips getting more expensive and relief coming only in 2018. Nintendo better ordered what they need quite some time ago to not be affected even longer.

Well, I hope it's soon into 2018.

... Consumers should be able to a Nintendo Switch if they want one.

Maybe from May 2018 onwards they will?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yet it certainly isn't their strategy to release a new multimedia project to underwhelming sales in preparation of the real sales boost one year later, because they lucked out that one time.

Wrong again
It already happened twice with Inazuma (debut around 38k, without anime, than arrived to 1 million sales, first non Dq or Ff rpg to reach that milestone in over a decade) before YW (similar debut without cartoon, then the boom up to 3 millions)

Snack isn't going to repeat this success, because the anime was already on air. So no, this isn't going to be the next big thing.

But calli g them lucky for having g being able to catch lighting in a bottle once is simply false and wrong

Celine

I feel that Level-5 success is based on creating and riding popular craze among young japanese with the help of multimedia initiatives (this is exactly what propelled Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch).
The good side of the coin of this strategy is that if done right you can create new IPs which become million sellers which is quite a rare case for the japanese market.
On the flip side of the coin (negative) it's a strategy that prevent a long term relevance of the IPs because they are tied to the finite popularity of the whole multimedia project.
So once found a golden goose, Level-5 milk it as fast as they can and then they start from scratch.
It's a sword of Damocle but I think the net results are positive (at least for now).
Level-5 started by just being a mere developer for hire, began publishing its own titles on DS and quickly (on the shoulder of big sellers like Layton, Inazuma and Yokai Watch) became first a top 10 publisher in the japanese market and more recently a top 5 contender.
This just in a span of 10 years (Level-5 is by far the youngest of the top publishers, all the rest have roots in the '80s arcade industry or/and in the Famicom era).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You could sometimes try and not be so harsh, you know. And my predictions were actually not half bad, certainly in the ball park. Some parts didn't pan out, true, but others did.

Hardware was ~40k for ARMS (~38k) and the subsequent week it was ~20k (~22k. and it basically stayed in the 20k range right up until Splatoon 2, except just breaking 30k the week prior to Splatoon 2), yet you made it a point to call me out anyway, pointing out that using using Famitsu hardware was 49k and it fell to 27k next week, not sure why, but you did.

I was off with the hardware level for Splatoon 2 sure (initial guess wasn't too horrible, I was mostly wrong on it staying high for 3 weeks), it was close to ~100k, and stayed there a while (~90k the next week, then ~60k, then ~90k again the fourth week), but now we're at ~22k. And I'm not sure what to make of that, it'll take another couple weeks to get an idea what is going on again with the hardware. But I did preface it with it being a wild guess, so it's not like I was presenting my prediction with being anything more relevant than for my own amusement.

Anyway, all I saw about the MHXX bundle was how limited stock it would be, so I finally caved and wanted to see what people thought limited stock for the hardware bundle would be. I guess your range of 20-50k worth of bundles is still limited sounding, but I not quite as limited as I was thinking based on the earlier posts I read, which I fully admitted I didn't really know where to convert limited to in numbers, especially given I hadn't seen any else take a stab at it previously.
The point back then and now is the same.

You can't predict shipment pattern since nobody except Nintendo knows production scale and how the units are arranged. The only thing we know is production is going up.

This week Switch fell at 20k and next it will rise somewhere between 50 and 100k. What can you make out of that? We have to wait until weekend every time to see how high or low stock is.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Eh tbf your post arms predictions wasn't exactly ground breaking. I'm not even sure what other feasible predictions there even were for that scenario other than Nintendo suddenly producing a massive amount of stock to maintain that bases despite the limp previous weeks and even the debut amount for ARMS. Or that there would be a dramatic ramp up afte arms?

It was the likely and easily predicted scenario. Spatoon was always the biggest question mark since everyone dealing with even less information than normal.

Celine

Yeah, predicting Switch sales in NPD or MC threads at the moment feels like throwing a dart blind (unless you have an uncle that works at Nintendo :-D).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I know Yo-kai Watch was a slow burn initially, and that there's a chance of a boom happening here too. It's just kind of fun to shit on Level 5 and their business practices, though. :/ I think duckroll understands where I'm coming from there.
It was obvious that sometime Level 5 practice would backfire and burn them and it looked from many months ago that time was now. As for the chance there isn't.

Late this year.

I believe it will take 5-6 weeks to reach 1.8m but after that it will slow down until 2m in December holidays sales.
Yeah I'm thinking ~2.1 million end of the year for 3DS and ~1.6 million for PS4.
The dream is dead, 3DS retakes the lead post price drop.
No doom and gloom until next week for me - going to wait for Bic Camera and Amazon restocks before I'm we are looking at 20K baseline.

Splatoon 2 up to 65% attachment rate with this week's numbers, it pretty much sold as much as possible this week considering how many Switches were sold. I'm still wondering about the digital numbers and what the rest of the Switch owners in Japan are doing.

[NSW] Arms <FTG> (Nintendo) {2017.06.16} (¥5.980) - 6.439 / 203.722 (-18%)
Arms crawled it's way to 200K physical, hopefully with new characters, stages and arms dropping we see it maintain it's place in the ranking and crawl to 300K by the end of the year.

Next week is going to be brutal for everything outside of Splatoon 2/Switch
While it's not likely the Switch will surpass the 3DS this year. I do think it is inevitable. I think an important message for the Switch's first year in Japan is how it will outsell the Wii U's first year.

Yeah with digital I could see Splatoon 2's attach rate being closer to 70% which is insane especially for a shooter in Japan.

What's interesting is that Arms is selling more the week after the ARMS bundles than the weeks prior to the ARMS bundles as well as having the smallest post Obon switch drop. Perhaps word of mouth is growing or maybe its just statistical noise. I think Nintendo should do a holiday bundle with ARMS as it's a good pack-in title for the Switch. I'd be curious if with the continued free DLC, if ARMS could do more than 300K. Although it is doubtful.

Yeah Nintendo seems to be prioritizing the North American market. Comparatively the Switch has sold roughly 1.6 million in NA in the same time that 3DS sold ~1 million, DS sold 1.4 million and Wii sold 2.1 million. Keep in mind DS and Wii had holiday seasons under their belt as well. I suspect they are prioritizing the West for a number of reasons:

1. Capturing the Western Market while its hot. Wii U suffered the biggest losses from the NA market. It's also important for future third party support from both Japanese and western developers to have a large western audience. This has been area Nintendo has struggled with a lot in the past. If they can establish a large western audience quickly they could secure some standard 3rd party support from EA, Activision, Ubisoft and Warner Bros.

2. 3DS is a much more active, vibrant and healthy platform in Japan. The 3DS is still doing well and the userbase is still pretty active in the 3DS in Japan compared to the West so they can alleviate some pressure by still supporting the 3DS.

3. Switch is outselling Wii U LTD in its first year in Japan. Switch is also outselling the PS4's first 3 years on the market in its first year. For the first year on the market, it is still getting the message across that this is the next portable device in Japan that 3DS/Vita developers should start developing for.

It was obvious that sometime Level 5 practice would backfire and burn them and it looked from many months ago that time was now. As for the chance there isn't.

Kinda disappointing since the show is actually pretty good, and the game looks fairly solid too. I'd have imported if it wasn't for 3DS region-locking or better yet had it been on both Switch and 3DS (not that my sale would have mattered).

Yagami_Sama

Nintendo Switch back to the 20k range, I thought that it would follow Splatoon 2 numbers and be in the 30k range. But the drop was kind of expected. Now the interesting is how Monster Hunter Double Cross bundle will perform. I very curious about it.

Maybe, just maybe, it was all planned, ship all Splatoon 2 bundles and when the stock is gone, put the Monster Hunter bundle to keep on momentum and boos sales.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kinda disappointing since the show is actually pretty good, and the game looks fairly solid too. I'd have imported if it wasn't for 3DS region-locking or better yet had it been on both Switch and 3DS (not that my sale would have mattered).
Level 5 is completely unprepared for the transition to next generation and next big thing for them. They are running out of potential buyers and I don't see something at horizon that could change things. They will drop to irrelevance very soon, if they aren't already there, and the comeback won't be easy.

Top Bottom