• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2011 (Aug 22 - Aug 28)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Luckyman said:
Sony has to really fuck up with Vita to not dominate this space
I feel the main thing the Vita needs right now is a major title past the launch window.

The price is good and the launch window titles are good, but after that, they really have nothing announced that's going to sell a lot.

Even if they can just get some logos out before the system launches I feel it will be a lot better than the nigh complete radio silence they have now.

Beam said:
I don´t think so. The way he/she put it makes it seem like the thread about MH PS360 would do well in the west and better than the WII becoming true. Which is unacceptable to him/her.

We have to take in account the period when Capcom made the decision to bring Monster Hunter on Wii. PS3 was selling sub 20k (if not 10k) on a weekly basis, Wii over 50k (if not 60k). Then it came also Nintendo to ship the game in the West.

Elios83

specialguy said:
It is doing ok, better than the others, but it looks like it's definitely going to end 2011 down year over year, despite the price drop. And how many more price drops does Sony have in them? One to 199, one to 149 late in life maybe?

The point is Japanese companies to me seem very sensitive to whats going on in their homeland, and I wonder if Sony is beginning to perceive the generation winding down with no way to stop it...

In other words PS4 here I come lol.

I don't think that PS3 sales will be down yoy because the lineup for September-December is the best ever for Japan, last year's holyday sales were not really strong and TGS could bring in even more surprises.
Btw it's clear that this gen is coming to an end anyway, it has probably just two year of 'full life'' left.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
BladeoftheImmortal said:
What was MH Tri's 1st week? I'm sure it was higher, but was it much higher? Kinda surprised they didn't port tri but instead MHP3. They could've just upped the resolution and make it Move compatible and be done with it. Exclusivity deal with Nintendo?
520k debut week at ¥7340.

I think there were reports of Capcom overshipping and flooding stores leading to early price drops though.

Move compatibility wouldn't be necessary in any way (though welcome for some, lots of people prefer Wiimote controls on Wii over the CCPro) so yes, it's likely the game is exclusive, Nintendo did do the promotion campaign in the West.

specialguy said:
It is doing ok, better than the others, but it looks like it's definitely going to end 2011 down year over year, despite the price drop. And how many more price drops does Sony have in them? One to 199, one to 149 late in life maybe?

The point is Japanese companies to me seem very sensitive to whats going on in their homeland, and I wonder if Sony is beginning to perceive the generation winding down with no way to stop it...

In other words PS4 here I come lol.

Nah PS3 going to be here for a while longer , the sales okay and it has a fair amount of software for the rest of the year .
It might sell less than last year but not by much i think.

gogogow

BladeoftheImmortal said:
What was MH Tri's 1st week? I'm sure it was higher, but was it much higher? Kinda surprised they didn't port tri but instead MHP3. They could've just upped the resolution and make it Move compatible and be done with it. Exclusivity deal with Nintendo?

And no, with MHP3rd HD, Sony provided the PSP engine and all Capcom had to do was literally pressing a button and be done with it. I don't think porting the Wii version would've been that easy. And upping the resolution is all Capcom had done here. This only shows how lazy they are, instead of upping all textures, they just upped some textures here and there in the village.

highluxury said:
Does the PSP remaster have trophies?
Ive read they dont, but GoW origins does....
It's Capcom...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Nirolak said:
I feel the main thing the Vita needs right now is a major title past the launch window.

The price is good and the launch window titles are good, but after that, they really have nothing announced that's going to sell a lot.
I'm glad people are starting to feel the same. There have been few game announcements targeting post launch-window time frame.

On another note I think the performance of the Vita during that initial period will decide whether pubs will spread out those launch window releases or not. It's a system launch after all, for every game released there are two delayed.

Alexios

French said:
Wow, 3rd HD did a lot better than G Wii.
No shit, 3rd is the latest and not that old game (half a year? almost in line with some proper multiplatform releases really), G was a PS2 release already outdated by its sequel, PSP ports of it and its sequel, and a gigantic PSP expandalone 2 years before it hit Wii, while Tri was set for release a few short months later.

Alextended said:
No shit, 3rd is the latest and not that old game, G was a PS2 release already outdated by its sequel, PSP ports of it and its sequel, and a gigantic expandalone 2 years before it hit, and Tri was set for release a few short months later.

and the PS3 version is just a PSP port

Alexios

PdotMichael said:
and the PS3 version is just a PSP port
Yes, and G was a PS2 port, even older than the existing PSP port (MH Portable) and?

MH PS2 2004
MH G PS2 2005
MH Freedom/Portable PSP 2005

MH2 PS2 2006
MH Freedom 2/Portable 2nd PSP 2007
MH Freedom Unite/2nd G PSP 2008

MH G Wii 2009

MH Tri Wii 2009

MH Portable 3rd PSP 2010
MH Portable 3rd HD PS3 2011

I think the difference between the bolded pairs is obvious...

Ydahs

Great opening for MH. Decent 3DS sales, but I feel that it'll continue to drop until new software hits.
dragonfart28 said:
this_gon_b_gud_gif.gif
This is the most overused GIF going around... a shame it sucks.

LOCK

Good for 3DS but I wonder what the baseline will be, seeing as currently September and October is going to be really weak software wise. Unless we get some surprising release dates at this Sept. 13 conference from Nintendo.

French

Banned
Alextended said:
No shit, 3rd is the latest and not that old game (half a year? almost in line with some proper multiplatform releases really), G was a PS2 release already outdated by its sequel, PSP ports of it and its sequel, and a gigantic PSP expandalone 2 years before it hit Wii, while Tri was set for release a few short months later.

And ? 3rd HD is just a port of a PSP game owned by 5 million people, and with no trophy. + MH G had a Tri demo.

300k for a lazy HD port, maybe Capcom should have released Tri on PS3 after all.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
electroplankton said:
We have to take in account the period when Capcom made the decision to bring Monster Hunter on Wii. PS3 was selling sub 20k (if not 10k) on a weekly basis, Wii over 50k (if not 60k). Then it came also Nintendo to ship the game in the West.
I thought Nintendo's show of support for MH and DQ was excellent, it went beyond simple "moneyhatting" and whatnot. Sony should take note and shift some resources from bomba first party titles to securing notable releases, instead of being so passive about it.

C_H_T

French said:
And ? 3rd HD is just a port of a PSP game owned by 5 million people, and with no trophy.

+ MH G had a Tri demo.

MHP3HD supports stereoscopic 3D and has savegame transfer with PSP.

Alextended said:
Yes, and G was a PS2 port, even older than the existing PSP port (MH Portable) and?
You're kinda ignoring the obvious fact that G came with a demo for Monster Hunter 3. Seems like that would've been a big selling point for that game but maybe I'm just crazy.

Effect

Mario Kart like said will cause the spike. I don't think Super Mario 3D Land will have long legs in the end. That's going off how Japan responds between the 3D and 2D side scrolling Mario games. Mario Kart is a different story but I doubt it can do the work all by itself.

I hope Nintendo has something very significant to announce software wise.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
LOCK said:
Good for 3DS but I wonder what the baseline will be, seeing as currently September and October is going to be really weak software wise. Unless we get some surprising release dates at this Sept. 13 conference from Nintendo.
September will be empty but I have my doubts for October.

airmangataosenai said:
You're kinda ignoring the obvious fact that G came with a demo for Monster Hunter 3. Seems like that would've been a big selling point for that game but maybe I'm just crazy.
People had the chance to play Tri at Tokyo Game Show and other events, such as Monster Hunter Festa.

I seriously don't know why people are comparing the HD Ver. to Wii G, completely different situations.

Alexios

airmangataosenai said:
Never heard of a game doing good because of a demo it was bundled with. ZOE still flopped, right?

Anyway, the demo was content they had seen a million times over in various game shows and events and the game was just 4 short months away.

Have there been 2 Portable 3rd sequels and ports of them before the PS3 release and is there a new sequel just around the corner? No? Then the situation is not comparable.

Alextended said:
Never heard of a game doing good because of a demo it was bundled with. ZOE still flopped, right?
Flopped so bad that it got a sequel? Right.

Also: Dragon Quest VIII in the US. That the pretty easy, can't believe you'd never heard of that one.

test_account

XP-39C²
Beam said:
I don´t think so. The way he/she put it makes it seem like the thread about MH PS360 would do well in the west and better than the WII becoming true. Which is unacceptable to him/her.
No idea, but it seems to be related to MH3's sales at least. But i'll let him/her answer for herself, i just took a guess :)

Sammy Samusu said:
I seriously don't know why people are comparing the HD Ver. to Wii G, completely different situations.
Both games are ports and both games are for home consoles. A bit different regarding what the ports offered indeed, but i think that it is a fair enough comparison to see how the ports did on console.

Sammy Samusu said:
People had the chance to play Tri at Tokyo Game Show and other events, such as Monster Hunter Festa.

I seriously don't see how packing in a demo of a new, highly anticipated game like Tri that's "available" to play at something like TGS or Monster Hunter Festa is pretty much the same as not packing in a demo of a new game.

PdotMichael said:
I would say the next Monster Hunter on PsVita and PS3 is a safe bet.
I think Nintendo will nab MH4 again for Wii U exclusively. Iwata has a total hardon for MH and it'd be better for local multiplayer since everyone could potentially have their own screen.

Vita will get MHP4 though.

Jomjom

Banned
So happy about the huge sales for MH3PHD. I'll be contributing another sale this weekend. This gives me hope that we'll see some of the other PSP's hits on the PS3 soon. Hopefully this means more chance that games like Tactics Ogre, Crisis Core, KH: BbS, VC2 & 3, and so many more could one day show up on the PS3.

Also as to the disparity between 3DS hardware and software sales. I would guess that most people bought it because it's now basically the same price as a DS, so why wouldn't you buy the new model, especially if it plays all of your DS games. The truth of the matter is that the 3DS software library is terrible, just because people buy a system doesn't mean they'll buy crappy games just to go along with it.

Dragon

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I think Nintendo will nab MH4 again for Wii U exclusively. Iwata has a total hardon for MH and it'd be better for local multiplayer since everyone could potentially have their own screen.

Has there been confirmation that the WiiU can support more than one screen at a time? I thought that they were looking into it, which led me to believe currently it isn't possible.

BurntPork

Banned
What happened to the PSP? is the market for it approaching saturation?

And 3DS sales dropped more than expected. It'll probably stabilize around 35-45k.

PS3 did okay, though.

Alexios

airmangataosenai said:
Flopped so bad that it got a sequel? Right.
Way to dodge the point. It didn't do big game numbers just because it had a demo of a big game.

Also: Dragon Quest VIII in the US. That the pretty easy, can't believe you'd never heard of that one.
Nice edit after someone else mentioned it showing you perhaps hadn't heard of that easy one yourself. Well, exceptions to the rules and all that.

And if you want to get that into the subject, how about checking how popular MHG was to begin with on all its platforms, even counting MHPortable if you want?

If the game wasn't nearly as popular as Portable 3rd has proven to be (because it really wasn't), why would a years late port of it do as good as a 6 month late port of that?

See, even ignoring it's the latest game, rather than a way outdated release with pre-existing sequels and a new one upcoming, the situation is still way in favor of 3rd over G.

jling84 said:
Also as to the disparity between 3DS hardware and software sales. I would guess that most people bought it because it's now basically the same price as a DS, so why wouldn't you buy the new model, especially if it plays all of your DS games. The truth of the matter is that the 3DS software library is terrible, just because people buy a system doesn't mean they'll buy crappy games just to go along with it.

Yeah... Why don't you consider the Top 50? Last week there were 6 3DS games in the first fifty positions, while the week before 10 games. The 2 games in the Top 10 count for roughly 30k, then consider Nintendogs+cats at 5k barely outside the chart, and other 3-4 games in the range 2-4k, and you reach the units sold by 3DS during the week, adding some used copies and some people who just bought to play DS games.

TheBranca18 said:
Has there been confirmation that the WiiU can support more than one screen at a time? I thought that they were looking into it, which led me to believe currently it isn't possible.
It'll be possible if local play follows the Tri model and is limited to two players.

lunchwithyuzo said:

If MH4 comes out on Wii U i expect to be on PS3 and Xbox 360 .
Capcom just see they can do a lazy ass port of a old game and get 300k in sales .

The portable version Capcom might just 2 version one for 3DS and Vita but they will share assets .

gundamkyoukai said:
If MH4 comes out on Wii U i expect to be on PS3 and Xbox 360 .
Capcom just see they can do a lazy ass port of a old game and get 300k in sales .

The portable version Capcom might just 2 version one for 3DS and Vita but they will share assets .

Multiplattform will destroy the franchise, it's all about playing with other people anywhere.

Vita and PS3 or 3DS and WiiU.

Alexios

PdotMichael said:
Multiplattform will destroy the franchise, it's all about playing with other people anywhere
Lots of multiplatform games are primarily multiplayer, this is a non issue. Such as Call of Duty. People would just play with people who have the same system only, obviously. Friends would just pick up the same version, Monster Hunter gatherings would just divide areas per platform, etc. Non issue.

matmanx1

As always I see it is dangerous to underestimate the power of MH in Japan. Wherever the next real MH title ends up it is going to make some very big waves. I am thinking that if Capcom is smart they take money from Nintendo and Sony for exclusive versions but not franchise exclusivity. Fanboys will wail but Capcom will make much money.

Good sales for BRS. I look forward to the chance to play the game in english.

Alextended said:
Lots of multiplatform games are primarily multiplayer, this is a non issue. People would play with people who have the same system, obviously, and friends would pick the same versions, and Monster Hunter gatherings would just divide areas per platform. Non issue.

examples for a successful heavy local-multiplayer game with multiplattform release?

Alexios

PdotMichael said:
examples for a previously successful heavy local-multiplayer game that did badly because of a multiplattform release?
Fixed?

Anyway, it could just be varied versions, much like Tri vs 3rd.

They could even get people to buy both, and it's not the same game so it's not the sinful multiplatform release you think would ruin it.

Top Bottom