• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2013 (Aug 19 - Aug 25)

Nibel

Besides the game being niche and Platinum being cursed by Capcom's janitor who is a vodoo priest in secret:

Is it possible that releasing a demo was a mistake?

I didn't make a prediction, but as a person who is not interested in buying W101, I can't say I'm surprised.

Conception II's sales are the most interesting thing about this week's sales. It may lead to more Vita games.

While vita will get more niche games it won't be from an underperformer like that. Toukiden is a much better example.

Foshy

Is that the lowest debut for a Platinum developed title? I figure Anarchy Reigns was the previous holder of that and it managed to sell 21 on the PS3 (and an additional 4k on the 360).

Madworld did slightly lower, 4,651 first week. And that was a Nintendo exclusive too. Hmm.

Bayonetta 2 to sell 8k.

Scum

What a great shame for Wonderful 101. Worse than expected.
Time to re-release it with an all-star Nintendo cast.

Wonder Red = Captain Falcon
Wonder Blue = Link
Wonder Green = Samus
Wonder Yellow = Mario (because of the hammer)
Wonder White = Shiek
Wonder Black = Lakitu
Wonder Pink = Bayonetta (or so)

I'm glad it was released in the form it was, to be honest. But yeah, it'd would have sold a hell of alot more with a Nintendo All-Star cast. I like new IPs.

Lol. And this is why Nintendo uses established characters and franchises. W101 was gonna sell horribly no matter what, unless they stuck with the Nintendo characters idea. In which case Nintendo would get scrutinized for not creating new characters or worlds.

Nintendo's IP's are double edged swords for some people. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I...

There are no words...

I honestly thought this would debut at somewhere around 50K, thinking that at least 1 in 4 Pikmin players would pick this up. What... in the world.

duckroll

The WiiU is in a loooooooooot of trouble right now. There's definitely nothing in the rest of this year which will turn anything around either. Another holiday season wasted. In the first year of the WiiU's lifespan in Japan, it will have a grand total of 5 titles which sold over 100k, if Zelda WW HD breaks 100k. If it doesn't, then it'll have 4. It's really shocking how Nintendo has completely dropped the ball.

W101 is the 14th WiiU game in Japan to have actual tracked sales data. In 8 months, just 14 games which made any chart at all. The rest never even charted, mostly because they're all late ports of games which were already on the PS3, and most of them were western titles too.

I didn't make a prediction, but as a person who is not interested in buying W101, I can't say I'm surprised.

Conception II's sales are the most interesting thing about this week's sales. It may lead to more Vita games.

Hardly for this reason. It didn't do well on Vita either considering the initial shipment. There have been much better examples of Vita success this year: Muramasa, Toukiden, Dragon's Crown etc.

The WiiU is in a loooooooooot of trouble right now. There's definitely nothing in the rest of this year which will turn anything around either. Another holiday season wasted. In the first year of the WiiU's lifespan in Japan, it will have a grand total of 5 titles which sold over 100k, if Zelda WW HD breaks 100k. If it doesn't, then it'll have 4. It's really shocking how Nintendo has completely dropped the ball.
They couldn't even get MK8 ready for the holiday. Really in a bad spot. If you create a system that is designed to be unappealing to third parties, then you better have appealing first party software on the ready. The system is just a horrible disaster.

EDarkness

Can't really argue with this. No one is buying Wii U games and they don't really even care, either.

There is a ton of 3rd party software that is lingering on shelves even with low shipments. Wiiu has failed at selling everything released but a few games.

Seems pretty obvious. No one wants games and don't want to the system, either.

ASIS

Poor wonderful 101. Pikmin 3 debuted with sales 20 times higher and was still seen as "meh"...

Yeah... 2 games out with no Wii U revival.

braves01

Banned
Yeah, that decision to not make it a Nintendo All-Stars game (which STILL could have introduced some new IP)....not a good one.

AniHawk

i don't think anyone in their right minds would have expected w101 to do well, but damn.

and then hardware took a beating in general this week, aside from the ps3. yeah, holiday -> not-holiday but still.

Paskil

So I suppose this speaks to the power of a marketing budget VS. releasing niche streaming videos to a tiny audience of people already drinking your kool-aid to advertise your games? Hopefully Nintendo learns from this. I don't feel at all bad for Platinum since they get paid, regardless.

orioto

Good Art™
Aren't the Robot Taisen sales pretty low for the serie ?

Wonderful 101 well.. I'm not exactly sure why people assumed it would be a sucess anyway.. It has everything of the charming little title with original gameplay that will stay cult, despite nobody having never played it.

W101 is the 14th WiiU game in Japan to have actual tracked sales data. In 8 months, just 14 games which made any chart at all. The rest never even charted, mostly because they're all late ports of games which were already on the PS3, and most of them were western titles too.

Was Zelda ever a big seller in Japan?

Like I said in another thread, Nintendo should've put all their resources into trying to get Mario Kart 8 out this year. That'll have more pull that 3D World. Smash Bros would've been about as good, but that still seems far off.

NotLiquid

This is all part of Nintendo's plan to buy Plat for cheap.

Platinum probably already got payed for making the game.

If Bayonetta 2 doesn't work out for them they'll probably never work in any meaningful capacity again.

Which completely sucks cause The Wonderful 101 is one of the freshest and original new games out there with so much love and care put into it.

Doczu

So... is there a slight chance that the sales of Wonderful Bomba will pick up thanks to a good word of mouth? You know, some kid plays, then tells his pal at school that there is a great game for the console and he buys it and... I should stop lying to myself :(

Hex

Banned
While this is about to become the 101 thread vita sales are really low. Is this the worst since price drop? Its only 700 above last year

Still better than WiiU

I think in Japan it is a write off, because Japan will not care about using it with a PS4

jerd

Why so much loling over W101 sales? I thought GAF was generally really positive about it based on previews and such. Something happen?

chadboban

Pretty terrible sales all around. The number 1 game is only over 30k. Vita and Wii U had HUGE drops this week. And poor W101, really didn't expect to bomb this badly. Nintendo really has themselves to blame for not even marketing it but you can't say that they didn't see it coming with the amount of copies they shipped. Still I think it sold even worse than they expected. Poor Kamiya.

Gambit

I'm glad it was released in the form it was, to be honest. But yeah, it'd would have sold a hell of alot more with a Nintendo All-Star cast. I like new IPs.

Absolutely. I love the cast and setting of the game. The current form of the game is how it should be.

If anything this game is cautionary tale. Releasing new IP and new gaming experiences is not the route to success in today's market (even better marketing would only have been a marginal improvement).

Poor Kamiya, he is gonna get bombarded by idiots on twitter

a53247a75e43bce20f26cc3sui.jpg

Is he doing thumbs down, if so this needs to be gifed.

Code:
05./00. [PSV] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.22} (¥6.279) - 18.878 / NEW 
16./00. [3DS] Conception II: Shichisei no Michibiki to Mazuru no Akumu <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) {2013.08.22} (¥6.279) - 5.072 / NEW

At this point I think we can all agree that niche games tend to do better on the Vita that on the 3DS.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would say that there are games that can sell just as good, if not better, on Vita as opposed to 3DS. I would also say that the argument of "user base makes a difference" is not true in all cases.

Top Bottom