• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2014 (Aug 18 - Aug 24)

zeromcd73

Wait, is it possible for a New 3DS MH4U bundle?

20140829_055352_thumb.png

zeromcd73

Honestly thinking about it now, even though most of the games coming to PS4 are multiplat , it is nice seeing them at least attempt to move over too PS4 much faster than they did with the Vita.

zeromcd73

Japanese twitter trends:

- Persona 5
- Dragon Quest Musou
- Pink Vita
- World Tree Castle (DQ)
- I'm buying a PS4

It's happening!

Mario007

Japanese twitter trends:

- Persona 5
- Dragon Quest Musou
- Pink Vita
- World Tree Castle (DQ)
- I'm buying a PS4

It's happening!

Haha it's almost like all those "Has nintendo persuaded you to buy a Wii U yet" threads we get after every Nintendo Direct.

crinale

Revelations 2 is PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/01060364.html

Since you're here, could you summarize this Dengeki article for the Touhou PS releases?

Edit: I'll be more specific.
First 3 games are not by Zun himself but fan-made spin-off, and they are for PS4 at this moment (there are quite a few non-canon Touhou indie games made by other ppl). I'm not sure those 3 games are ports or new games. Farther entries will be for PSV, PS4 or multiplat.

This is square though, Rise of Tomb Raider is freaking cross gen and that's holidays 2015.

It's indeed Square Enix but I want to believe that even they have enough sense not to release cross gen games in fricking 2016/2017. Not to mention FFXV and KH3 have been already announced as current gen games so it would require some extra stupidity to make them cross gen at this point.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so, basically both Sony and Nintendo had their "TGS" conference. We could absolutely get more crucial info from third parties during the fair, but still:

1) Who you think just had the best event overall for its business?
2) Which console will probably benefit the more of the new announcement?
3) Do you think that we could see a change of pace/structure for the Japanese market, that seems so far very oriented into mobile and in second place into portable consoles (with the home segment that struggles)?
4) Which is the best single-annoucement hw/sw wise?

My takes:

1) I think Sony. Nintendo simply abandoned the Wii U to its destiny: I think that overall we could see PS4 take over the Wii U next year pretty easily with the major IPs announced (even if multi with PS3 or Vita) while PS3/Vita could continue their "decent" pace. So even if the 3DS will still probably be the strongest console in Japan, I think that as a whole Sony did a better job for its three consoles. This is even also linked to the "ecosystem" concept that they were able to develop, while Nintendo is still way behind in this.
2) Well, probably the 3DS again. The new model and the strong IPs confirmed (even if not announced "yesterday", there will be MH, FF, DQ, Bravely, Etrian Oddissey, Super Smash, Pokemon and so on). So, the new model at the same price of the old one will probably help the 3DS in keeping its leadership in Japan.
3) No, I don't think so.
4) It could be the new 3DS model, because it is well priced, offers various new features over the normal one, and it's not a one shot item. Second place for MH4G New 3DS bundle and the new DQHeroes PS4.

I'm not sure how much "TGS conference" last Direct was. It was basically focused on the new 3DS model. Usually Nintendo has some conference around October to present their plans for late 2014 and 2015.

so, basically both Sony and Nintendo had their "TGS" conference. We could absolutely get more crucial info from third parties during the fair, but still:

3) Do you think that we could see a change of pace/structure for the Japanese market, that seems so far very oriented into mobile and in second place into portable consoles (with the home segment that struggles)?

My takes:

1) I think Sony. Nintendo simply abandoned the Wii U to its destiny: I think that overall we could see PS4 take over the Wii U next year pretty easily with the major IPs announced (even if multi with PS3 or Vita) while PS3/Vita could continue their "decent" pace. So even if the 3DS will still probably be the strongest console in Japan, I think that as a whole Sony did a better job for its three consoles. This is even also linked to the "ecosystem" concept that they were able to develop, while Nintendo is still way behind in this.
2) Well, probably the 3DS again. The new model and the strong IPs confirmed (even if not announced "yesterday", there will be MH, FF, DQ, Bravely, Etrian Oddissey, Super Smash, Pokemon and so on). So, the new model at the same price of the old one will probably help the 3DS in keeping its leadership in Japan.
3) No, I don't think so.
4) It could be the new 3DS model, because it is well priced, offers various new features over the normal one, and it's not a one shot item. Second place for MH4G New 3DS bundle and the new DQHeroes PS4.

How was Nintendo's "TGS" like at all? It was strictly a 3DS direct, Nintendo usually doesn't do their big direct till near the end of the year or at the start of the new one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How was Nintendo's "TGS" like at all? It was strictly a 3DS direct, Nintendo usually doesn't do their big direct till near the end of the year or at the start of the new one.

how can a year-end Direct being more "TGS" moodly than a late August one? :\
Nintendo decided to have a Direct (their most important, or only, way of "conferencing") at the very end of August, few days before the Sony "Pre-TGS" conference, and decided to focus it entirely on the new 3DS model, with some 3DS and some "New 3DS" games discussed, new bundles announced and Smash for Wii U. It's not that someone forced them to have a direct focused on 3DS around the TGS time, just before Sony TGS conf. They decided to.
I think that it's save to trace a comparison to judge Sony and Nintendo "TGS" and "Japan-focused" incoming proposals right now.
If Nintendo will have another Direct at the end of the year, we'll judge that Direct for its contens, right?

zeromcd73

It will obviously save it as MonHun saved the PSP

I wasn't around at the time so don't know, but was there any particular reason MonHun exploded like it did back then? It did well on PS2 (500k), but for it to suddenly have a game sell 4.8mil on PSP...

how can a year-end Direct being more "TGS" moodly than a late August one? :\
Nintendo decided to have a Direct (their most important, or only, way of "conferencing") at the very end of August, few days before the Sony "Pre-TGS" conference, and decided to focus it entirely on the new 3DS model, with some 3DS and some "New 3DS" games discussed, new bundles announced and Smash for Wii U. It's not that someone forced them to have a direct focused on 3DS around the TGS time, just before Sony TGS conf. They decided to.
I think that it's save to trace a comparison to judge Sony and Nintendo "TGS" and "Japan-focused" incoming proposals right now.
If Nintendo will have another Direct at the end of the year, we'll judge that Direct for its contens, right?

Then, Nintendo and 3DS just "won", if we are strictly talking about Japanese hardware and software sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Then, Nintendo and 3DS just "won", if we are strictly talking about Japanese hardware and software sales.

Yes, unless Nintendo will have another Direct within September focused on the Japanese market, I'd consider the "New 3DS" Direct as their TGS-like effort. Of course, they don't go to TGS and didn't called the Direct a TGS-Direct, but still...
Thank you for your opinion: yes I was indeed talking about Japanese market-consequences of these two conferences.

mo60

My takes:

3) No, I don't think so.

I don't think it will be that easy for the PS4 to overtake the WiiU that quickly.And nintendo decided to focus on the 3ds mostly in their direct since they barely focused on it in their previous directs and/or digital events.

RalchAC

I wasn't around at the time so don't know, but was there any particular reason MonHun exploded like it did back then? It did well on PS2 (500k), but for it to suddenly have a game sell 4.8mil on PSP...

The perfect storm I'd say. Good enough visuals, handheld, ad hoc gameplay with your buddies exploded and word of mouth. Probably something more in missing.

Eolz

The perfect storm I'd say. Good enough visuals, handheld, ad hoc gameplay with your buddies exploded and word of mouth. Probably something more in missing.

basically this yeah, especially being able to play on the go with your friends everywhere.

Also, I know it won't have any impact, but I love that there will be a Dead or Alive x Senran Kagura collaboration (costumes). Out of nowhere, but also a bit related when you think about it.

? Vita had loads of games.

Doesn't seems like it

I believe this is all of the new game announcements:

Way of the Samurai (working title - Vita)
Luminous Arc Infinity (Vita)
Uta no Prince-sama (working title - Vita)
Neo Romance (working title - Vita)
Hot Shots Golf (working title - PS4)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Vita/PS4)
Ys (working title - Vita/PS4)
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (Vita/PS4)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS3/PSV/PS4)
Bladestorm Nightmare: The Hundred Years' War (PS4)
Summer Lesson (PS4/Morpheus)
Mobile Suit Gundam (working title - PS4)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS4 - probably on 360/XB1/PS3 based on past info)
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of Despair (PS4)
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)
Disgaea 5 (PS4)
Touhou Project Game (working title - PS4)
Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3/PS4)

Going by the above list only like 3 games has the potential to sell over 100k. Vita is a platform that's about to enter its third year, it should have much stronger showing than that.

mao2

Doesn't seems like it

Going by the above list only like 3 games has the potential to sell over 100k. Vita is a platform that's about to enter its third year, it should have much stronger showing than that.
Did you even see the list you quoted? How is Vita neglected when there are a number of new games announced for it?

One Piece, GE2, and what is the third one? Utapri?
Senran Kagura maybe?

SmokyDave

Did you even see the list you quoted? How is Vita neglected when there are a number of new games announced for it?
Games = 'exclusive titles that are guaranteed to sell at least 100,000 copies in Japan'.

Don't try and understand it, just go with it.

L~A

Looks like Denpa Ningen no RPG Free! has been downloaded 500k times in Japan. I'm actually surprised this number is so high. Hard to tell without any % of people actually buying stuff, but looks like a pretty solid performance for F2P game on the 3DS.

It launch on July 23, by the way.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Games = 'exclusive titles that are guaranteed to sell at least 100,000 copies in Japan'.

Don't try and understand it, just go with it.

In a MC/Famitsu topic I'd say that it is pretty normal to "list" the meaningful release, ins't it?

Oh. Seems like RE has left the Nintendo platforms. Early 2015 is also surprising.

Well, everything left the Wii U, so...for 3DS I'm a bit surprised, also because the game sold devently on 3DS (looking at the results on other platforms), so maybe it was more a "asset/tool" decision? If the port could have been easier probably they could have proposed also the 3DS version. Or maybe not, I don't know.

L~A

Well, everything left the Wii U, so...for 3DS I'm a bit surprised, also because the game sold devently on 3DS (looking at the results on other platforms), so maybe it was more a "asset/tool" decision? If the port could have been easier probably they could have proposed also the 3DS version. Or maybe not, I don't know.

It's Capcom. There's nothing to understand :p

Top Bottom