• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2012 (Aug 27 - Sep 02)

Take note other devs, people want games on their Vita.

No! Take note Sony.
Devs know people also want games on their 3DS, simple fact is those are great sales for the Vita, but their not exactly massive franchise sales are they?

Sony to most devs appears uncompetitive in the handheld market, to ensure more games like Miku come, they need to appear more competitive and willing to spend. Otherwise they'll do a Capcom and jump ship to the 3DS which now has both old-PSP users and DS-users filling its base.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, going by that, would you say Miku fans have a preference for Sony platforms (like Tales fans seems to have swallowed up Xillia on PS3)?

Well even in the arcade the button prompts are the O, X, Square, and Triangle buttons, so I'd say Project Diva isn't leaving Sony platforms anytime soon.

Mario007

I would say they have a preference to platforms more focused on an audiovisual experience given the nature of the games.

That just usually happens to be Sony.

I get ya, cheers.

Well even in the arcade the button prompts are the O, X, Square, and Triangle buttons, so I'd say Project Diva isn't leaving Sony platforms anytime soon.

Sega saving a Sony platform. Hilarious stuff.

I would say they have a preference to platforms more focused on an audiovisual experience given the nature of the games.

That just usually happens to be Sony.
Its probably a safish bet but you cant really say this for certain at all since a nintendo platform has never gotten a real game

Pranay

One Piece on Vita could had been a big system seller.

Sad its releasing on PSP :\

Musou game sold 150000 ps3 that week

18./10. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3G # <ACT> (Capcom) {2011.12.10} (¥5.800) - 7.080 / 1.541.209 (-9%)

XL bringing in those who went to Vita originally, or just people waiting to make the jump to 3DS?

3G could get to 2m by MH4.

PSP seems to still be hanging on, but its dwindling. As long as Sony show Vita is in some way being supported by them, I think we might see some Vita games popping up on the horizon. Its big problems weren't just the 3DS but also the PSP being a decent platform too, that appears to be changing.

mclem

The Project Diva series is absolutely huge relative to the rest of Vita's Japanese software lineup. By far the biggest (temporary) exclusive announced for the platform in that region, at this point.

One thing I've not been clear on with Miku is how the 3DS title with the cutesier Miku fits into all this. Is that actually the same *type* of game with a different style of Miku, or a completely different type of game?

The question is basically: Is the reason that didn't do as well because of the platform, because of the style of Miku, or because of the gameplay?

Road

Famitsu first week:

[SAT] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {1997-11-13} - 160,850
[PS1] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {1999-04-08} - 60,905
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Atlus) {2009-01-15} - 56,689
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (Atlus) {2011-07-28} - 62,246
[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {2012-08-30} - 73,690

[PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia (Compile Heart) {2010-08-19} - 25,235
[PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 (Compile Heart) {2011-08-18} - 33,763
[PS3] Hyperdimension Neptunia V (Compile Heart) {2012-08-30} - 35,670

[PS3] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Capcom) {2012-03-22} - 38,937
[360] Devil May Cry HD Collection (Capcom) {2012-03-22} - 2,486
[PS3] Resident Evil Chronicles HD Selection (Capcom) {2012-06-28} - 28,042
[PS3] Sengoku Basara HD Collection (Capcom) {2012-08-30} - 27,551

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Monster Hunter 3G is actually living a sort of "second life" after XL's release.

Shit, Soul Hackers 3DS's port did better than PSX's one! :O

Famitsu first week:

[SAT] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {1997-11-13} - 160,850
[PS1] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {1999-04-08} - 60,905
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Atlus) {2009-01-15} - 56,689
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (Atlus) {2011-07-28} - 62,246
[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {2012-08-30} - 73,690
DA POWAH OF SMT4

Bruno MB

(Media Create)

Marvelous x 3DS

[3DS] Senran Kagura: Shoujotachi no Shinei (Marvelous Entertainment) {2011.09.22} - 52.206 / 90.348
[3DS] Harvest Moon: The Land of Origin (Marvelous AQL) {2012.02.23} - 81.131 / 184.906
[3DS] Rune Factory 4: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (Marvelous Entertainment) {2012.07.19} - 85.955 / 140.639
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} - 69.084 / NEW

[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (Atlus) {2009.01.15} 55.466 / 113.403
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (Atlus) {2009.10.08} - 97.221 / 155.580
[NDS] Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 (Atlus) {2011.07.28} - 63.008 / 97.369
[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (Atlus) {2012.08.30} - 69.365 / NEW

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, nice Vita sales. Not really much coming up to sustain it, but a nice week.

liger05

[3DS] Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.08.30} (¥6.279) - 73.690 / NEW
[3DS] Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2012.08.30} (¥5.980) - 70.569 / NEW

These 3rd parties must be real happy with the 3DS right now!!

XL bringing in those who went to Vita originally, or just people waiting to make the jump to 3DS?

3G could get to 2m by MH4.

XL is hardly bringing anyone to the platform.

3DS sales were already at 60k+ levels before annoucement of new SKU and dropped slowly after it was annouced.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sega saving a Sony platform. Hilarious stuff.

Only if they actually make this game. :p

hatsune-miku-project-6spxk.jpg

Mario007

99% of the time sustained interest does not come from games coming out far in the future

I think he means whether or not Sony will be bringing more games of this caliber to the platform. While it may not save the sale in the short-term, we can see that if those types of games can really give Vita the life it needs.

Not exactly the most apt comparison, but here's it anyway:

[PSP] Persona - 95,406
[PSP] Persona 2:IS - 62,091
[PSP] Persona 2:EP - 28,212
[3DS] Soul Hackers - 73.690

Elios83

99% of the time sustained interest does not come from games coming out far in the future

Depends how far in the future, the MH4 announcement alone gave a huge bump to the 3DS last year ;) maybe had a bigger impact than the price cut itself.
But I was not talking about that kind of announcement, more about titles for the end of the year and a few big suprises scheduled for next year.

Acosta

3DS sales were already at 60k+ levels before annoucement of new SKU and dropped slowly after it was annouced.

I guess a bigger 3DS is not exactly what the Japanese consumer is looking for.

How went the sales of the DS XL?

Alrus

What? 65K PS3 were sold the week One Piece Musou released. Also not all One Piece games are massive system seller.

Still don't get why it's a PSP only release though, especially when PSP had zero One Piece game before that one.

tuffy

The lack of sales for any catalog Vita titles looks like a lot of gamers picked it up to play one game, and are planning to sell it all back once they're done with it. They're buying into this game but not buying into the ecosystem as a whole, which is worrisome.

Miku did well considering the low Vita userbase, but its pretty shitty compared to the series sales. Its gonna do only about 200k.

They would need a game like this at least every 1-2 weeks to have a system that was actually stable.
Fixed.

So Vita is more of a viable platform for Miku than 3DS? At what point of 3DS's life was Project Mirai released?

Also shock! Software moves hardware! Nintendo and Sony should really learn from the botched up launches of 3DS and Vita.
Not really. Chibi Miku is a spin-off, can't be compared to Vita's Miku which is the mainline one. Project Mirai didn't have a bundle either, I'm sure it would have moved hardware or even sold more units if it did.

Mario007

It's Miku from the Phantasy Star Online 2 stage.

Oh right!

PSO2 is coming to Vita next year, right? Wonder if that will be a big enough system seller in Japan. So far I only see Soul Sacrifice, PSO2 and FF X HD (when it actually releases) as big enough sellers for the system. Having said that it's important that the platforms gets other games, to simply have an ecosystem where games are coming out and charting regularly.

beje

Banned
The lack of sales for any catalog Vita titles looks like a lot of gamers picked it up to play one game, and are planning to sell it all back once they're done with it. They're buying into this game but not buying into the ecosystem as a whole, which is worrisome.

I remember people saying it already happened with Persona 4, just buying the console to beat it then trade both in as soon as they're done. Also, seeing a store flooded with a lot of second hand units of a specific game or system is never good news as it might put some people off. I actually use it to measure to which point a AAA release has been overhyped/viral marketed/moneyhatting reviews to hell and back or if it's a legitimately good game.

Road

No idea about Ys, any numbers from previous games? But DJ Max isn't gonna do anything, unless those few KARA songs are gonna make people buy the game in droves.

Ys series is not a big seller:

[PS2] Ys I & II: Eternal Story (DigiCube) {2003-08-07} - 20,767 / 45,973
[PS2] Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Konami) {2005-03-10} - 22,826 / 37,325
[PS2] Ys IV: Mask of the Sun - A New Theory (Taito Corporation) {2005-05-26} - 6,701 / 6,701
[PSP] Ys I & II: Chronicles (Nihon Falcom) {2009-07-16} - 20,240 / 32,997
[PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) {2009-09-17} - 42,816 / 70,583
[PSP] Ys: Oath of Felghana (Nihon Falcom) {2010-04-22} - 20,717 / 37,244

Celceta is a new game, so it could perform like Seven (the others are ports/remakes).

3DS sales were rising (off the back of something I've now forgotten) am pretty sure and had been around 40k for a few months/weeks. The 3DS sales are still above usual sales now.

Not to mention a big rise of 3DS sales over the past few weeks. I'd say people have been brought to the platform by the XL - MH3G sales are hard to explain otherwise really.

Its not 'mass amounts' but remember those 60k+ sales are all new sales still, so its not like people aren't still coming to the platform.

I guess a bigger 3DS is not exactly what the Japanese consumer is looking for.

How went the sales of the DS XL?

Do people not understand what selling a unit means? XL is selling about double the 3DS original. Seems obvious its what the consumer is looking for. How can you even argue otherwise from this weeks data let alone the last few weeks?

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member

I was under the impression that was more because the PS3 is pretty much the de facto blu-ray player in Japan so you got a lot of fans of the anime who don't usually play games picking it up. I heard the stores were flooded with used copies the week after release.

Similarly, Ishaan from Siliconera was saying the same thing about the Tales games on the PS3 since the series tends to employ certain anime tropes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh right!

PSO2 is coming to Vita next year, right? Wonder if that will be a big enough system seller in Japan. So far I only see Soul Sacrifice, PSO2 and FF X HD (when it actually releases) as big enough sellers for the system. Having said that it's important that the platforms gets other games, to simply have an ecosystem where games are coming out and charting regularly.
Yeah, I mean, I feel that Sony needs to have a really strong TGS to actually have a decent shot of staying relevant in the region.

If that fails, they can try and revive it from death the year after with a price cut, but that is going to be a lot harder to do than to follow up their modest successes over the past month.

Aside from Harvest Moon and one-offs like Grand Knight History and Fate Extra, yeah it's one of their best selling series.

I have to admit, I didn't see this coming.

I think he means whether or not Sony will be bringing more games of this caliber to the platform. While it may not save the sale in the short-term, we can see that if those types of games can really give Vita the life it needs.

I'd argue that frequency and outlook is equally important. If you can't look forward to steady releases that interest you, many consumers won't get on board.
Just hit software alone won't do the trick, the ecosystem of release/quality has to appeal to potential buyers.

This weeks jump is great, but it also highlights a huge problem, the lack of a steady stream of hit titles. The Vita even with such bumps only gets by at best. It's a statistical freak, not a sign of change.

Unless Sony can get some heavy hitters to the market (and despite Little Big Planet Vita being one of the best handheld games I've played, but I doubt it's sales potential unfortunately) the Vita will remain on life support.

On a different note, I am so glad that Nintendo fell on its face with Oni Training. To price a product like that so high, to release it as a retail card when it would be a premiere way to push the e-shop is just unbelievable. Same goes for New Art Academy and Freakyform deluxe, albeit the latter being a despicable money grab.

Oh right!

PSO2 Vita has no local multiplayer. It will not be a system-seller.

Top Bottom