• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2016 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

Sterok

How much money is Super Mario Run actually going to make? These sort of games I believe have a low conversion rate, and if we take Miyamoto at face value there are no microtransactions or DLC to take advantage of whales. If that 1.5 billion downloads happens, and they get a 5% conversion rate, then at $5 they're getting $375 million in revenue. Which is a nice amount of money, but not super impressive by Mario standards. They could charge more, but of course a higher price means fewer buyers.

Now the numbers could work out better for Nintendo than I speculate, and if there are paid level packs that changes everything, but my immediate reaction is that SMR will have a difficult time trying to be a huge money maker.

Oregano

Does anyone really believe this?

I'd say it's highly unlikely but it depends on a number of factors. It's way too early to rule anything out.

Edit: Also 30% of Super Mario Run's revenue goes to Apple(and Google) and after that Nintendo is splitting it with DeNA. They'll be getting a lot less per purchase than on their own systems.

Orgen

Does the Uncharted mobile game have the potential of making more money for Sony than the last few Uncharted games combined?

Are you suggesting that Super Mario Run has the potential of making more money for Nintendo than the last few Mario games combined? Which games should be those then? Because I don't believe Super Mario Run is going to make more money for Nintendo than New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii U combined (hell I'd be very surprised if the game makes more money for Nintendo than NSMB2).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The real question is another

Does super mario run would be able to bring those money without the mario classic games behind?

Would mario run 2 be able to continue bring money to nintendo after mario run and without the classic mario games?

In somewhat related news, I do get a chuckle out of every person who entertains a PS4 exclusive Cold Steel 3.

I really don't understand Kondo's thinking regarding Sen 3. I've just been reading all about it in the Kiseki community thread.

I mean, props to him for wanting to make Sen 3 his way, no doubt about it. But there has to be an element of business sense in it. This is a series that wasn't even on home consoles until recently and even then continued to get handily outsold by the handheld version. And it's a series that survived with PC ports for like 6 years, which was much inferior hardware.

Going all-in on PS4 going forward seems suicidal when things like Star Ocean and Tales are barely outselling what the previous Kiseki game sold across PS3/Vita. For now it seems to make far more sense to make it multi, get the trilogy out of the way and then focus on PS4/something else going forward for a fresh start, just like Sen was.

I suppose the factor I haven't considered is NX. Maybe he has plans to release it there and is assuming that's where the Vita audience who don't own a PS4 are going after the handheld dies. But that seems a stretch considering Falcom's history on Nintendo hardware and the fact that - again - it's the third game in a sub-series that has had a continual story throughout.

I guess we'll see next year. But Tokyo Xanadu early numbers don't exactly paint a pretty picture for his plans.

Does the Uncharted mobile game have the potential of making more money for Sony than the last few Uncharted games combined?
I think the keyword here is "potential". Uncharted mobile potentially making more money than console Uncharted is slim to none. On the other hand, the potential for a Mario mobile game to make more money than console Mario is significantly higher in comparison.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is likely to happen but I see what you're saying. If Nintendo did go third party or just move away from console development, their potential to succeed in other areas (like mobile) is fairly good.

The real question is another

Does super mario run would be able to bring those money without the mario classic games behind?

Would mario run 2 be able to continue bring money to nintendo after mario run and without the classic mario games?
Would pokemon go be an hit without pokemon? Would the Wii be an hit without Nintendo games? Would Breath of the wind get any attention without Zelda ip?

Questions! All those damn questions! :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Would pokemon go be an hit without pokemon? Would the Wii be an hit without Nintendo games? Would Breath of the wind get any attention without Zelda ip?

Questions! All those damn questions! :)

Exactly. Almost 50% of nintendo successes are based on legacy, the exact opposite if the one-hit mobile market.
If they can find (as I think) success there is because is s market that allows to exploit legacies but hardly to create them for repeated episodes

I think that their likely mobile success is based on their classic output (and that their classic output can benefit from their mobile ones, as GO already proved)

Aters

I really don't understand Kondo's thinking regarding Sen 3. I've just been reading all about it in the Kiseki community thread.

I mean, props to him for wanting to make Sen 3 his way, no doubt about it. But there has to be an element of business sense in it. This is a series that wasn't even on home consoles until recently and even then continued to get handily outsold by the handheld version. And it's a series that survived with PC ports for like 6 years, which was much inferior hardware.

Going all-in on PS4 going forward seems suicidal when things like Star Ocean and Tales are barely outselling what the previous Kiseki game sold across PS3/Vita. For now it seems to make far more sense to make it multi, get the trilogy out of the way and then focus on PS4/something else going forward for a fresh start, just like Sen was.

I suppose the factor I haven't considered is NX. Maybe he has plans to release it there and is assuming that's where the Vita audience who don't own a PS4 are going after the handheld dies. But that seems a stretch considering Falcom's history on Nintendo hardware and the fact that - again - it's the third game in a sub-series that has had a continual story throughout.

I guess we'll see next year. But Tokyo Xanadu early numbers don't exactly paint a pretty picture for his plans.

I thought they got the engine from Sony? Don't think NX is an option. Plus I don't remember a single Falcom game that did well on Nintendo platform.

PS4 in September 2017 is gonna be a console with FFXV, RE7, DQXI, not a PS3 Pro as it is now in Japan. Maybe Kondo is betting on a much stronger PS4 install base.

Vena

I thought they got the engine from Sony? Don't think NX is an option. Plus I don't remember a single Falcom game that did well on Nintendo platform.

PS4 in September 2017 is gonna be a console with FFXV, RE7, DQXI, not a PS3 Pro as it is now in Japan. Maybe Kondo is betting on a much stronger PS4 install base.

Waiting for Godot only ends with hanging from a tree.

I'm betting on PS4/Vita releases still being a somewhat common thing in September 2017, given that I think the current wave of games are still going to be weighted towards Vita or even between the platforms (SAO; Utawarerumono; Atelier; Nights of Azure; Fate/Extella etc.)

Obviously I know one of these is a dying product line, but I still don't think it's going to be so dead in 12 month's time that it won't be a factor for a game like this (that is if it makes a 2017 release, of course).

Vena

I'm betting on PS4/Vita releases still being a somewhat common thing in September 2017, given that I think the current wave of games are still going to be weighted towards Vita or even between the platforms (SAO; Utawarerumono; Atelier; Nights of Azure; Fate/Extella etc.)

Obviously I know one of these is a dying product line, but I still don't think it's going to be so dead in 12 month's time that it won't be a factor for a game like this (that is if it makes a 2017 release, of course).

Vita is also going to get hampered further and further given the recent... complete obliteration of its securities in certain firm wares. I know the 3DS has been cracked wide open as well but the audience in the west that owns the Vita is per capita far more tech heavy than your average 3DS owner. The west was already a hard sell for the Vita, but I think the crack is just going to start turning into nails in the coffin for software releases.

Oregano

It depends on how ambitious developers want to get with their games. We're already seeing some porting disasters so some might decide to drop Vita.
Don't make it any less stupid.

Vita is also going to get hampered further and further given the recent... completely obliteration of its securities in certain firm wares. I know the 3DS has been cracked wide open as well but the audience in the west that owns the Vita is per capita far more tech heavy than your average 3DS owner.

Vita versions are not made with the west in mind at all. A lot of them don't even get released in the west. Henkaku will make no difference.

Vena

Vita versions are not made with the west in mind at all. A lot of them don't even get released in the west. Henkaku will make no difference.

You think that the hack is going to stay just stateside? But that wasn't my point, some titles still do get Vita releases in the west and I think that may become a very difficult proposition depending on how wide spread the crack becomes across the rather small and savvy community.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'd say it's highly unlikely but it depends on a number of factors. It's way too early to rule anything out.

Edit: Also 30% of Super Mario Run's revenue goes to Apple(and Google) and after that Nintendo is splitting it with DeNA. They'll be getting a lot less per purchase than on their own systems.
You say this as if retailers don't take a hefty cut and physical goods don't cost money to manufacture and ship (and that's before we even get to return fees, price protection, and platform holders having to buy shelf space for their product).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Week 37, 2016 (Sep 12 - Sep 18)

new releases

later
__

YSO predictions

01. [PS4] Persona 5 < 260k (average 230k)
02. [PS3] Persona 5 < 70k (average 60k)
03. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 < 60k (average 50k)

Oregano

You think that the hack is going to stay just stateside? But that wasn't my point, some titles still do get Vita releases in the west and I think that may become a very difficult proposition depending on how wide spread the crack becomes across the rather small and savvy community.

I imagine the effect will be quite small. It didn't hurt 3DS too much.

You say this as if retailers don't take a hefty cut and physical goods don't cost money to manufacture and ship (and that's before we even get to return fees, price protection, and platform holders having to buy shelf space for their product).

True but I imagine it's still quite a big chunk. Even if Nintendo only makes $10 on a physical game that would be 4x an equivalent mobile game. EDIT: Assuming a $5 price point.

I don't know how a typical game breaks down off the top of my head.

Vena

You say this as if retailers don't take a hefty cut and physical goods don't cost money to manufacture.

Digital is growing even on the 3DS, even if its not as fast as other platforms, and that is not a benefit they have with Apple/Droid. 10-15% of all sales being digital is a hefty gain in revenue free from any external "taxing". That is something they most certainly lose on iOS/Droid. (I'd also expect digital adoption to grow with the NX being far more modern than the 3DS currently is with its rather convoluted and slow store front.)

What is the expected price on Super Mario Run btw? Is it 5$ or 10$?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine the effect will be quite small. It didn't hurt 3DS too much.

True but I imagine it's still quite a big chunk. Even if Nintendo only makes $10 on a physical game that would be 4x an equivalent mobile game. EDIT: Assuming a $5 price point.

I don't know how a typical game breaks down off the top of my head.
Well, we can do some napkin math to compare.

Let's say that Super Mario Run costs $4 and its lifetime paid downloads end up match Tetris' figure from a few years ago at 425 million paid downloads. We'll adjust this down later.

We'd get $4 * 425 million * .7 gives us $1.19 billion.

Now let's say that on a full priced physical Mario game Nintendo gets around $40 (third party titles are more like $36 but they're not paying for platform shelf space even if they're paying for license fees). We will also say that the games sold at $20 to $30 (Nintendo gets around $10-$15 here) when the game becomes a player's choice title even out with the 95% margin on digital copies of the game sold so we can count all copies as $40. We will exclude bundle sales since the games are usually given for free to incentivize sales.

To generate the same amount of money, they'd need to sell $1.19 billion / $40 = 29.75 million units without bundles.

Okay, let's say you think our mobile number is insane and that Mario will have lifetime sales of less than half of Tetris and only move 200 million units at $4. That's still $560 million and 14 million unbundled copies to compare.

That's before we even get to the sales potential of their f2p games. Pokemon GO has made over $500 million in 63 days (2 months): http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/08/pokemon-go-is-fastest-mobile-game-ever-to-make-500-million/

That's already 8.75 million unbundled units of a $60 full priced retail game after removing Apple/Google's cut ($350 million / $40). If they kept this pace up for a full year, that'd be 52.5 million unbundled game units. Now consider that Pokemon 3DS games only cost $40-$45 to start with.

That's not to say you wouldn't want both businesses as it stands, as long as the hardware itself isn't tanking your profitability, but there is a *lot* of money potential in mobile and The Pokemon Company is already realizing a huge bag of money from it.

Vena

I was most certainly not expecting that we'd be ballparking that high for Mario Run as converted downloads. I was thinking more like ~10% of Dr. Toto's projected 1.5B, or 150-200M sales outright.

Also how long did Tetris take to reach that figure? How many Mario games could come out in the same time to achieve these figures as boxed copies? Isn't it incorrect to compare GO (or Run) to a single release when GO and Run would have a hard time being followed up or would have long, long tales associated with their life-spans (Run maybe less so, but I can't really imagine a sequel to GO, more of a long term but eventually slowed down burn compared to the starting months).

I think the strongest point for them to stand on is between both markets. GO has had major positive impacts on software of Pokmeon and hardware (and digital software which is pure profit for Nintendo). Also I'd imagine the spill-over effect on Run could potential pulse through multiple franchise with Mario as he has several very large brands associated on consoles. Also, since this was basically the whole idea when Iwata put it forth, I think this is what they hope for as well either way.

Oregano

Well, we can do some napkin math to compare.

Let's say that Super Mario Run costs $4 and its lifetime paid downloads end up match Tetris' figure from a few years ago at 425 million paid downloads. We'll adjust this down later.

We'd get $4 * 425 million * .7 gives us $1.19 billion.

Now let's say that on a full priced physical Mario game Nintendo gets around $40 (third party titles are more like $36 but they're not paying for platform shelf space even if they're paying for license fees). We will also say that the games sold at $20 to $30 (Nintendo gets around $10-$15 here) when the game becomes a player's choice title even out with the 95% margin on digital copies of the game sold so we can count all copies as $40. We will exclude bundle sales since the games are usually given for free to incentivize sales.

To generate the same amount of money, they'd need to sell $1.19 billion / $40 = 29.75 million units without bundles.

Okay, let's say you think our mobile number is insane and that Mario will have lifetime sales of less than half of Tetris and only move 200 million units at $4. That's still $560 million and 14 million unbundled copies to compare.

That's before we even get to the sales potential of their f2p games. Pokemon GO has made over $500 million in 63 days (2 months): http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/08/pokemon-go-is-fastest-mobile-game-ever-to-make-500-million/

That's already 8.75 million unbundled units of a $60 full priced retail game after removing Apple/Google's cut ($350 million / $40). If they kept this pace up for a full year, that'd be 52.5 million unbundled game units. Now consider that Pokemon 3DS games only cost $40-$45 to start with.

That's not to say you wouldn't want both businesses as it stands, as long as the hardware itself isn't tanking your profitability, but there is a *lot* of money potential in mobile and The Pokemon Company is already realizing a huge bag of money from it.

Yeah as I said, it's unlikely that the next mainline Mario would outgross Super Mario Run but at the very least 14 million full priced copies is something they've achieved in the past(although they likely haven't done it unbundled?).

As to the F2P there's obviously a lot higher learning potential there but Pokemon Go is obviously a massive outlier. The other Pokemon Apps have been complete failures in comparison and even if stuff like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem were top 10 performers they wouldn't get anywhere close.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was most certainly not expecting that we'd be ballparking that high for Mario Run as converted downloads. I was thinking more like ~10% of Dr. Toto's projected 1.5B, or 150-200M sales outright.
...I did the calculation at 200 million units.

Also how long did Tetris take to reach that figure? How many Mario games could come out in the same time to achieve these figures as boxed copies? Isn't it incorrect to compare GO (or Run) to a single release when GO and Run would have a hard time being followed up or would have long, long tales associated with their life-spans (Run maybe less so, but I can't really imagine a sequel to GO, more of a long term but eventually slowed down burn compared to the starting months).
Well yes, mobile games are platforms with continuing sales. Mario is obviously a singular paid product, but not all of their games are. Tetris had a very long run to get there (2006 was the first release), but you will notice that was before the iPhone even existed so it's not a 1:1 scenario, though neither are today's market conditions.

For Pokemon though you'd compare annual income of the franchise on both platforms. That's not very difficult. I would expect in practice for the app to slow down to around $1-1.5 billion a year like the other major mobile hits depending on how well they handle it.

At $1 billion a year (this would be a slowdown to 1/3rd of their current annual income), even if we very generously set a 3DS Pokemon game's raw profits at $30 per unit, it would be equivalent to over 23 million units a year.

I think the strongest point for them to stand on is between both markets. GO has had major positive impacts on software of Pokmeon and hardware (and digital software which is pure profit for Nintendo). Also I'd imagine the spill-over effect on Run could potential pulse through multiple franchise with Mario as he has several very large brands associated on consoles.
I didn't say they should abandon their current business model. I was just answering the question of if mobile games could earn them more than their comparable console products.

Yeah as I said, it's unlikely that the next mainline Mario would outgross Super Mario Run but at the very least 14 million full priced copies is something they've achieved in the past(although they likely haven't done it unbundled?).

As to the F2P there's obviously a lot higher learning potential there but Pokemon Go is obviously a massive outlier. The other Pokemon Apps have been complete failures in comparison and even if stuff like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem were top 10 performers they wouldn't get anywhere close.
There will certainly be lots of lower earners and failures along the way, but that's also true of their console business.

Similarly, the comparison point for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem would be the sales of Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

For Fire Emblem, that's what, an average of 1 million copies a year at handheld prices given 3 million units and a 3 year development cycle? If we stick with the very generous $30 per copy raw profit average, that'd would need a mobile game making ~$43 million annually, which is $3.6 million monthly or $118,000 a day worldwide.

Vita is also going to get hampered further and further given the recent... complete obliteration of its securities in certain firm wares. I know the 3DS has been cracked wide open as well but the audience in the west that owns the Vita is per capita far more tech heavy than your average 3DS owner. The west was already a hard sell for the Vita, but I think the crack is just going to start turning into nails in the coffin for software releases.

I err... really don't think there's a whole lot going on with the whole Vita scene at the moment. It seems to have died down as quickly as it's taken off.

Vena

...I did the calculation at 200 million units.

Oh I know, sorry I wasn't clear. I was referencing specifically just to the Tetris numbers directly. Though I'd still be curious to wonder long we think/expect it would take for Run to achieve 200M paid conversions. Instantly? Over a few months? A year?

At $1 billion a year (this would be a slowdown to 1/3rd of their current annual income), even if we very generously set a 3DS Pokemon game's raw profits at $30 per unit, it would be equivalent to over 23 million units a year.

Pokemon is actually the more potent one but I also think its a complete outlier (and, I mean, it is) and I don't think its something that can be expected to be reproduced ever where as the general pokemon entry is still selling north of 12 million on its bad days. And TPC has previously failed multiple times and spectacularly with other mobile ventures, on top of that GO is split between more parties than normal (I think?).

I think Run and a general Mario 2D platformer will be far more similar to one another. (Also, obviously, we have no way of quantifying how the spill-over works out for Nintendo, their hardware, and getting mobile-audiences involved with their ecosystems, its obviously been very promising off the bat with GO but how that converts to value or revenue numbers is currently entirely unknown. We may hear more on this in their next reporting period, however.)

Also I think i was agreeing with you on the last bit, I didn't intend for it to come out as meaning that you meant for them to exit the hardware market.

For Fire Emblem, that's what, an average of 1 million copies a year at handheld prices given 3 million units and a 3 year development cycle? If we stick with the very generous $30 per copy raw profit average, that'd would need a mobile game making ~$43 million annually.

FE has a lot of lucrative DLC in the games as well, and that probably gives it a decent bit more money than just packaged sales.

Oregano

To be honest what will be most interesting to see is how/when/if Nintendo will launch a mobile first/only IP, what form it takes and how successful it is. I think that more than anything will define the future of the company.

EDIT: I was mainly using Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem as examples because they are announced. I don't doubt they have the potential to earn comparatively to their retail releases. Of course in the case of FE Nintendo seems to have quite successfully upsold a ton of DLC their core audience too.

I doubt we'll see another Pokemon Go style phenomenon for quite a while, from anyone.

sense

I think Sony is going to surprise all and release a handheld around March next year that plays mobile games and down scaled ps4 games natively just like nx. I am only half joking ;)

Vena

I think Sony is going to surprise all and release a handheld around March next year that plays mobile games and down scaled ps4 games natively just like nx. I am only half joking ;)

I mean, the downscaled part is literally impossible at the moment unless that handheld is the size of a cinder-block... or is a PS4 with a screen on it. PS4 games were never made with what you're proposing in mind, and they cannot just be downscaled to a non-existent mobile AMD technology.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, but $43 million annually is also a very low bar for a title of this profile. Square Enix's mobile titles are doing $560 million combined, and zero of them stay in the top 10 or even top 20 of the iOS charts perpetually, and only around 10 of them make notable money, suggesting a high average among the successes.

If we want to consider Fire Emblem's DLC to effectively add up to another million full priced units sold, we can move the target up to $57 million a year ($4.75 monthly/$156K daily worldwide) to be comparable in terms of profits.

I think this is actually a pretty easy way to illustrate why investors wanted Nintendo into mobile so badly. No one was yelling for them to get out of hardware, but rather for them to at least try to address this giant potential money pile on the table.

Vena

I think this is actually a pretty easy way to illustrate why investors wanted Nintendo into mobile so badly. No one was yelling for them to get out of hardware, but rather for them to at least try to address this giant potential money pile on the table.

No argument from me. It also makes perfect sense as their entire hardware business is going to start merging into some quasi-state between console and handheld the budgets of the latter are going to start catching up to the latter. More exposure as well as a giant money pile as hard to turn down!

Oregano

Yes, but $43 million annually is also a very low bar for a title if this profile. Square Enix's mobile titles are doing $560 million combined, and zero of them stay in the top 10 or even top 20 of the iOS charts perpetually, and only around 10 of them make notable money, suggesting a high average among the successes.

If we want to consider Fire Emblem's DLC to effectively add up to another million full priced units sold, we can move the target up to $57 million a year ($4.75 monthly/$156K daily worldwide) to be comparable in terms of profits.

On a brand level Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are obviously bigger than Fire Emblem though and Square Enix puts out a lot of games, even just within those two brands.

Fire Emblem seems perfect for a Gacha RPG though so it could be massive.

sense

I mean, the downscaled part is literally impossible at the moment unless that handheld is the size of a cinder-block... or is a PS4 with a screen on it. PS4 games were never made with what you're proposing in mind, and they cannot just be downscaled to a non-existent mobile AMD technology.
I know it is far fetched and it requires Sony to have worked with amd to come up with some custom hardware solution and magic tricks for something like this to happen akin to getting 4K visuals on ps pro. I just have a gut feeling that Sony is not going to abandon the handheld market altogether. They will release a handheld knowing full well it will be a niche product with high margins on hardware and games that are playable on other devices like tablets and mobile phones as well which reduces the risk for developers. I know this is a pipe dream before anyone wants to remind me.....

sphinx

the piano man
Do you guys think nintendo can create synergy between their mobile and their dedicated hardware endeavours?

I mean, something that makes people think "my pokemon GO experience would be better if I had pokemon sun/moon, gotta buy a 3ds and those games" and vice versa.

and regarding Mario on mobile: do you guys expect a surge in mario interest after the Super Mario Run effect? will we have NSMB2charting high in the lists?

MacTag

Banned

The Phyre Engine is multiplatform and licensees are free to port it to any system. I believe Sidhe even ported it to Xbox 360 years back.

It's also hard to really point to Falcom's potential on a Nintendo platform since they haven't developed or published a game on a Nintendo system since Ys V on SFC in 1995. You can't point to any real successes but you also can't point to any real failures on their part here.

Ōkami

1. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions - 24
  2. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition - 20
  3. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura - 20
  4. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi - 19
  5. [PS4] Tokyo Xanadu eX+ - 16
  6. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition - 15
  7. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot - 11
  8. [PS4] Tales of Berseria - 10
  9. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby - 9
  10. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter - 9
  11. [PS4] F1 2016 - 8
  12. [3DS] Pokémon X - 8
  13. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - 7
  14. [WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 6
  15. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition - 6
  16. [3DS] Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - 6
  17. [WIU] Splatoon - 5
  18. [PSV] Geten no Hana with Yume Akari - Aizouban - 5
  19. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV - 5
  20. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 5
One of the lowest weeks ever.

Pre orders
[3DS] Pokémon Sun / Moon - 838
[PS4] Final Fantasy XV - 242
[PS4] Persona 5 - 239
[PS3] Persona 5 - 83
[3DS] Monster Hunter Stories - 45
[PS4] Yakuza 6 - 33

Bonus
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport [Limited Edition] - 36

It depends on how ambitious developers want to get with their games. We're already seeing some porting disasters so some might decide to drop Vita.
Don't make it any less stupid.

That's what I don't understand the most. A few years ago most of these devs were happy making PSP-quality games. Now Vita is a things are they're developing games for PS4 in mind that port terribly to Vita.

I can understand the whole creative ambition side, making the biggest best game they can, but surely they can temper what they want to do slightly and make a game that runs well on the handheld that'd still sell fine on PS4 (since Japan doesn't really seem arsed either way since they're buying the Vita games in the first place; and in the west the game is going to be niche anyway regardless of which console is the main one for it).

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

01./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
02./01. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
03./05. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
04./07. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./06. [WiiU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
06./08. [3DS] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
07./00. [PSV] Geten no Hana with Yume Akari: Aizouban <ADV> (Koei Tecmo)
08./03. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
09./04. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
10./00. [PS4] Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
11./00. [PS4] F1 2016 <RCE> (Ubisoft)
12./17. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
13./10. [3DS] Pokémon Alpha Sapphire <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
14./15. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
15./21. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
16./16. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
17./14. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf [Nintendo Selects] <ETC> (Nintendo)
18./13. [WiiU] Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games <SPT> (Nintendo)
19./11. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./23. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 36, 2016 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

01./02. [PS4] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
02./01. [PS4] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
03./03. [PS3] Persona 5 (20th Anniversary Edition) <RPG> (Atlus)
04./00. [PS4] Persona 5 # <RPG> (Atlus)
05./11. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
06./09. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2017 <SPT> (Konami)
07./00. [PS4] Battle Garegga Rev.2016 (Premium Edition) <STG> (M2)
08./06. [PS3] Persona 5 <RPG> (Atlus)
09./04. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV <RPG> (Square Enix)
10./07. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 35, 2016 (Aug 29 - Sep 04)

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are only based on sales at Rakuten Books and does not count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking.

horuhe

This week, as stated some pages ago, will be one of the lowest weeks ever. Don't know if it will crack down the 235k record (from Week 20, 2015), but it surely will be a bad week. Considering that to post Rakuten Rankings I usually don't go past from 70 or maybe 80 SKUs, last week I used up to the number 135, and for this week up to the number 163. So, this surely will be one with the lowest bars.

That said, this week was a week where pre-orders managed to take the crown. Persona 5, of course is everywhere.
biE358Z.jpg

o8JerDy.jpg

But what I do think it's completely funny to see is how stores are like "celebrating" having PlayStation 4 hardware again. It's gonna be a great week for Sony's console.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 36 2016

01./00. [PS4] Tokyo Xanadu Ex+ <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
02./02. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi <RPG> (Level 5)
03./03. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch 3: Tempura <RPG> (Level 5)
04./01. [PS4] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
05./17. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
06./04. [PS3] Tales of Berseria <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games)
07./05. [PS4] The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft)
08./07. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios)
09./11. [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot <ACT> (Nintendo)
10./13. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
11./14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: Dragon Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
12./12. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons X: God Chapter <RPG> (GungHo Online)
13./00. [PS4] F1 2016 <RCE> (Ubisoft)
14./06. [PS4] Sengoku Basara: Sanada Yukimura-Den <ACT> (Capcom)
15./10. [PS4] No Man's Sky <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
16./15. [PSV] Toukiden 2 <&#65362;(Koei Tecmo)
17./18. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey V: The End of the Long Myth <RPG> (Atlus)
18./09. [PS4] The King of Fighters XIV <FTG> (SNK Playmore)
19./23. [PS4] Overwatch <ACT> (Square Enix)
20./21. [3DS] Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns <SLG> (Marvelous)
20./24. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)

hiska-kun

Comgnet
  1. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Fusions - 24pt
(9pt last week)

Tsutaya

Rakuten

There's a big increase for Dragon Ball Fusions this week according to Tsutaya and Comgnet. Normal increase according to Rakuten too. I wonder how it will translate on weekly numbers and why such bump happened.

Vena

Comgnet
(9pt last week)

Tsutaya

Rakuten

There's a big increase for Dragon Ball Fusions this week according to Tsutaya and Comgnet. Normal increase according to Rakuten too. I wonder how it will translate on weekly numbers and why such bump happened.

Sale or some sort of anime/manga related promotion?

Mory Dunz

Comgnet
(9pt last week)

Tsutaya

Rakuten

cause DB Super finally got good >_> >_>

NeonZ

There was a tv commercial for Fusions after the last episode of Super, I guess they had aired that again at other timeslots too.

There's also supposed to be a new trailer during TGS, so they might announce DLC or free update content for it.

hiska-kun

There was a tv commercial for Fusions after the last episode of Super, I guess they had aired that again at other timeslots too.

There's also supposed to be a new trailer during TGS, so they might announce DLC or free update content for it.

Makes sense. Thank you

Edit: talking about that, I've just watched the commercials on the Yamanote Line a few minutes ago

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's what I don't understand the most. A few years ago most of these devs were happy making PSP-quality games. Now Vita is a things are they're developing games for PS4 in mind that port terribly to Vita.

I can understand the whole creative ambition side, making the biggest best game they can, but surely they can temper what they want to do slightly and make a game that runs well on the handheld that'd still sell fine on PS4 (since Japan doesn't really seem arsed either way since they're buying the Vita games in the first place; and in the west the game is going to be niche anyway regardless of which console is the main one for it).
Vita is a dying platform with next to no growth potential, PS4 is wildly successful internationally and still has some growth potential in Japan. If the PS4 was actually doing well in Japan say 3DS levels Id expect most of these companies to have ditched the vita outright. It's a dead end with no successor in sight. Any userbase you'd want to cultivate you'd prefer it to be on the PS4 even if it results in less vita sales as you know there will be a PS5 to transition that userbase to. The same can't be confidently said about the Vita.

L~A

lol

Totally unexpected

Is that supposed to be sarcasm? :p

Now that's interesting. Today, Bamco announced that One Piece: Dai Kaizoku Colosseum and Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden would get cross-play in Early November (via a Software update). Will work for both local and online. No words on any restrictions.

https://one-piece.com/news/detail/20160912_4507

Both games were developed by Arc System Works, by the way. No idea how that's going to work, though.

Top Bottom