• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2011 (Sep 05 - Sep 11)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
BurntPork said:
And why won't 3DS stabilize? :/ I'm getting worried that the 20-30k naysayers are right after all. I guess it'll be in hibernation until November.
OK, now we are sure 3DS won't fall below 40k this year.

Last week was the reveal of MH3G from Famitsu, it could have some impact in the small drop.

Xena

That's very awesome for Tales. I really hope Graces do very well here too and they get Xillia over here as well.

Datschge

Dolgan said:
So, does anyone know why the game sold so well? High-quality rpg on an rpg-starved platform with an audience which seems to be inclined to buy "these kind" of games? Will we see more rpgs for the platform? Is Tales a special circumstance?
Looks like it's the console Tales audience. Now after the 360 and Wii game got ported everyone is on PS3. Also words of mouth seem to be good for the last couple console Tales games. Still very unprecedented.

So hopefully Namco has learn that the PS3 should be the console for Tales games.

Great numbers for it, surprising how high it charted. Now bring it over already.

noobie

Banned
wow TOX did in 1 week what others fail to achieve in LT. :)
Simply amazing...
i hope it gives a lesson to Sony also that exclusives matter and they need to be proactive to secure some. :)

jgwhiteus

On future console RPG releases... isn't it a bit late in the generation to be making development decisions about platforms based on sales today? Assuming fresh development on RPG's takes at least a few years, I'd think any RPG's intended for the PS3 / 360 or even Wii (unlikely) have already started and are set, and then publishers will be thinking about Wii U and the PS3 / 360 successors - or, more likely in Japan, they're working on 3DS / Vita releases.

I know good games get released very late in lifecycles, even after successor consoles are out, but things tend to slow down a bit. So I don't know if ToX will affect the probability of new future PS3 RPG's that haven't already started development.

Durante said:
I guess the rumours of Japanese JRPG fans having mostly moved to handhelds were greatly exaggerated.

Of course. This is the first time the PS3 has got a good top level JRPG, and surprise surprise it sold well. It should have been FFXIII, but that games was dogshit and the sales suffered for it.

noobie

Banned
jgwhiteus said:
On future console RPG releases... isn't it a bit late in the generation to be making development decisions about platforms based on sales today? Assuming fresh development on RPG's takes at least a few years, I'd think any RPG's intended for the PS3 / 360 or even Wii (unlikely) have already started and are set, and then publishers will be thinking about Wii U and the PS3 / 360 successors - or, more likely in Japan, they're working on 3DS / Vita releases.

I know good games get released very late in lifecycles, even after successor consoles are out, but things tend to slow down a bit. So I don't know if ToX will affect the probability of new future PS3 RPG's that haven't already started development.

i think PS3 still have a year and few months till the new successor of it is launched.. and i dont believe Wii U will be the start of the new generation.. atleast MS and Sony will be using wait and see policy before changing their original plans for next PS and XBOX

Datschge

-Pyromaniac- said:
Tales would always sell more on PS3, assuming it's not a late ass port (looking at you Graces).
??? Graces was not a later port than Vesperia was, and both sold more on PS3 than on the respective initial platform.

BurntPork

Banned
Chris1964 said:
OK, now we are sure 3DS won't fall below 40k this year.

Last week was the reveal of MH3G from Famitsu, it could have some impact in the small drop.
That depends. Does anyone have a list of the September and October releases for 3DS?

Truth101

Banned
Can MH Tri possibly get a boost in sales, due to TriG coming to the 3DS? Will people be able to transfer saves from Tri to G?

MechaX

Holy shit @ the ToX sales.

It took Namco about 5 years of meandering, but it's good they finally figured out where the Tales fanbase was all this time.

Strange how Tales does so much better on the PS3 than Wii even when Wii had (has) the much bigger userbase.

I wonder if it's possible to see a similar scenario with Monster Hunter on the 3DS and PSVita.

Datschge said:
??? Graces was not a later port than Vesperia was, and both sold more on PS3 than on the respective initial platform.
I mean in NA. It's always been the right platform for it. If they had launched on the PS3 they would have sold more.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
vicissitudes said:
Strange how Tales does so much better on the PS3 than Wii even when Wii had (has) the much bigger userbase.

I wonder if it's possible to see a similar scenario with Monster Hunter on the 3DS and PSVita.

That's...wow. That's quite the stretching you are doing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, is Xillia really great, really moe, or both?

vicissitudes said:
System with no JRPGs gets Tales vs system with big JRPG names (hello Final Fantasy) getting Tales. The difference seems expected to me. ToG did respectably considering the timing/bugged release, they could have probably grown their Wii fanbase also had they cared to keep doing multiplatform releases, but the stalling Wii sales weren't/aren't exactly fit for inspiring confidence in third parties and they would likely fail in doing that anyway if they had to keep providing bonus content for Sony even then.
Lolwut @ the comparison.

jgwhiteus

vicissitudes said:

It's always been clear that the userbases for the Wii and PS3 are composed differently, though they have overlap - Wii includes many more casual gamers, females, older people, etc., whereas PS3 has mainly been "core" gamers. It's certainly possible with 3DS vs. Vita, but Vita isn't out yet, so who knows what it's userbase will be like, and 3DS has yet to establish a userbase identity (and it seems to have more of a "core" identity than the DS did, which is maybe not so good for its overall sales).

Lesiroth

vicissitudes said:

That'd require the Vita to be a relevant platform when(if?) Monster Hunter releases for the Vita.

Datschge

-Pyromaniac- said:
I mean in NA.
Wrong thread then. Also please write localization instead port, the latter means something different.

Alextended said:
ToG did respectably considering the timing/bugged release, they could have probably grown their Wii fanbase also had they cared to keep doing multiplatform releases, but the stalling Wii sales weren't/aren't exactly fit for inspiring confidence in third parties and they would likely fail in doing that anyway if they had to keep providing bonus content for Sony even then.
They already drove away the fanbase with ToS-R on Wii (ToG did worse than it even though it was a holiday release and had console bundles).

Alexios

That too I guess, following that shit can't be easy. Holiday, hum. Why did I think it was going against a big title, looking @ that MC thread it's by itself, at the top to boot.

Wops, my bad, it's below NSMBWii. but that wasn't a new release... Still, yeah...

Datschge said:
Wrong thread then.
oh get over it, it's a sales thread where you can talk about sales. Yes it's japan sales but people above were discussing sales of the tales series overall throughout the generations and throughout different platforms. I chimed in.

Thanks for your input.

Laguna

Banned
vicissitudes said:

Not sure if you are serious. But the biggest difference is everyone expected that the PS3 would get all the JRPG love in Japan and in fact pre release FF13 and FF13Versus were announcend and footage was shown pretty early on, also it got most of the popular JRPG franchises like Star Ocean and new ones. plus - let´s not forget 2 Tales of games before Xilia. So it´s no surprise that a JRPG fanbase was built on PS3 rather than on Wii that got niche and scurille things like Opoona to built a fanbase before a Tales of Spin-off debuted on Wii. You can compare it with the MH clones that wouldn´have sold so much if there wasn´t MH on that system that actually built up a fanbase for that kind of games with FF13+Versus beeing MH and "Tales of" beeing God Eater.

BurntPork said:
That depends. Does anyone have a list of the September and October releases for 3DS?
Last time I checked October was bleak, but will it matter? I believe the backlog (both eShop and retail) has increased enough to sustain the system over 40K at this price.

Alexios

Btw it seems the Dragon Quest Collection is already in some people's hands? Did shops break street date? I hope we'll get the Dragon Quest X trailer youtubed soon :D

Lord knows we need to finally see proper showcase footage after that rough alpha actual gameplay style presentation we got last time. Unless they're one and the same.

Alextended said:
Btw it seems the Dragon Quest Collection is already in some people's hands? Did shops break street date? I hope we'll get the Dragon Quest X trailer youtubed soon :D

Lord knows we need to finally see proper showcase footage after that rough alpha actual gameplay style presentation we got last time. Unless they're one and the same.
if you are basing it on amazon.co.jp reviews, it had reviews very soon after being announced, don't know how that works. Vine voice or something maybe.

mintylurb

Stumpokapow said:
RE: ToX million seller; maybe, but no first-run Tales game has ever made it to 2x opening week sales.

There's actually one exception, but it's Tales of the Tempest and it made it there because the opening week sales were <50% of the original shipment and a shitty 80k--and the game crawled to 200k on the back of bomba bin price collapse sales over a long period of time.

Edit: Oh poop, Josh already did it visually.
I think there's a better chance of gaimeguy finding a date on okcupid than xillia selling one mirrion in nippon. If it does, I'll get ultros an english version of xillia.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Xillia did better than I expected. Bodes well for the future if Namco continues to put the series on PS3.

Rpgmonkey

zomgbbqftw said:
How do you buy something that doesn't exist. When Vesperia 360 came out how would fans stick to PS3 when there were no Tales games on the platform?

A lot of Tales fans are fans of RPGs in general and are the hardcore otaku gamer type who like things like the PS3 and 360.

The PS3 was still getting big RPGs like FFXIII and Versus, had niche RPGs like Gust and NIS games, and ToV coming to the PS3 probably only helped people to settle more. It's pretty reasonable to think people who would be into Tales have a PS3 and never really left, even though handhelds got a lot of RPG support from developers and consumers. Tales is one of the series where it's popularity on consoles didn't translate as well to handhelds compared to a number of other RPG series (though I feel that's partly due to the PSP getting nothing but ports and spinoffs, and the DS getting half-assd Tales games for years, but whatever).

Top Bottom