• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
-We don't know. Wii U in Japan was already more cheap (considering 1 dollar - 100 yen)

-Is not announced.

-Vita 2000 - oct 10 / Vita TV - nov 14

Thank you

1) I really think they should increase the perceived value with bundles (is the WW HD bundle confirmed for Japan? I think they should do it also with Mario)
2) Probably not necessary...they could keep it for 2014 when there will be nor DQ + MH + Pokemon to absorb the obvious derease in sales
3) thank you: probably Vita sales will struggle at least until Oct 4th

liger05

I just don’t see how the Wii U can go from selling under 10k on average a week to say 50k on average. Mario alone cannot make this happen. The console is just an uninspiring product which in every region the consumer has said ‘No’ too.

This is in no way similar to the position the 3DS was in.

I just don’t see how the Wii U can go from selling under 10k on average a week to say 50k on average. Mario alone cannot make this happen. The console is just an uninspiring product which in every region the consumer has said ‘No’ too.
More importantly, it cannot survive on Nintendo support alone. As of yet, the third party support for Wii U in Japan is absolutely pathetic. Even if it somehow sells decent number in Holiday, what about after it? PS4 will launch in early 2014 and people's focus will change to PS4.

Whelp, 3DS owns Japan just like it's father did.

WiiU and Vita....horrible sales for both of them.

Puppeteer and Killzone are both basically DOA there.

This is just a terrible week aside from the 3DS increase. Will the PS4 (maybe) or Xbone (lol) improve console sales in Japan? I'm looking forward to finding out.

jwhit28

What were the 3DS darkest days like?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Wii U is no 3DS, you are right.
I just hope they can turn it from their last home console evah, into a disappointing but woth to develop for (first party) console.

20K average?
and with tons of third party games already announced.

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|  PS3  |     13.790 |     20.090 |     11.813 |    605.864 |    777.991 |   9.465.948 |

Seems like it won't reach 1m YTD this year.

It's rather a question can it match gamecube.

Technically "never say never" but i don't see Nintendo accepting costs Sony suffered to restore PS3 (and PS3 was never doing so badly) nor having manpower to support it alongside 3DS and at least minimal work for next gen handheld

liger05

More importantly, it cannot survive on Nintendo support alone. As of yet, the third party support for Wii U in Japan is absolutely pathetic. Even if it somehow sells decent number in Holiday, what about after it? PS4 will launch in early 2014 and people's focus will change to PS4.

All hope lies with Mario Kart

Technically "never say never" but i don't see Nintendo accepting costs Sony suffered to restore PS3 (and PS3 was never doing so badly) nor having manpower to support it alongside 3DS and at least minimal work for next gen handheld

Those costs were huge. No way Nintendo does that.

What the earliest they could kill it. Early 2015?

big youth

What are these blue ocean strategy projects for the Wii U?

they're unannounced, but we know they're coming based on statements from Iwata; the DS analogy is me just parroting him. I expect we'll see retail efforts, along with outside-the-box apps and features that make creative use of the Gamepad. Of course things don't look good for the console now, but combine a surprise hit with games like Mario Kart, Zelda, X, Mario, Donkey Kong, etc and they could pick up some steam.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Code:
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
|  PS3  |     13.790 |     20.090 |     11.813 |    605.864 |    777.991 |   9.465.948 |

Seems like it won't reach 1m YTD this year.

And it won't reach Wii's LTD sales (as many imagined, but others not), being more than 3 millions behind, right?

The timing of the new model is crucial for the Vita with these kind of pathetic numbers. It's almost like all that momentum has fizzled out. Luckily there have been a lot of announcements so there's some light at the end of the tunnel. WiiU will have to wait even longer for some reprieve.

Sub-30k numbers. One week, I think was sub-20k too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

it's an existing franchise that was even on the GC. people don't like the Wii U itself, as the really liked the Wii itself back in the days. the main question is:

It's rather a question can it match gamecube.

this.
I really hope they can turn it around just to sell enough software to justify the effort to create interesting software, that selling decently can continue this circle (both for me as a wii u owner and for the N side of industry)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I feel mobile has taken a pretty huge chunk out of their target audience.

Games like Puzzle & Dragon and Line Pop play on a device just about everyone has and seem to hit it huge with the casual audience.

Going and picking up an expensive home console for a couple of expensive games is a really hard sell to people who aren't heavily invested in both gaming and the franchises on offer.

Silky

Banned
tumblr_msyauvBxEm1rbmuyxo1_500.png

Can't Stop JoJo, won't stop JoJo.

WAIT, 95% DROP!? OH, NO!

Frodo

Wii U selling GameCube numbers by the end of its cycle would be a success.

Don't know why people thought it would match Wii numbers when the disinterest on the Wii brand was quite apparent by the time the Wii U came out.

Nintendo has a decent line up until the end of the year, and also has SSB and Mario Kart next year. So not everything is already settled. But I'd say the Wii U will do Gamecube numbers at best. Will gladly eat a whole flock of crows if I'm wrong and it sells better than that.

I don't get it. Were they hoping to slow down Pokemon sales or something? That seems crazy.

My thoughts. They don't think they are going to stop Pokemon, do they? Honestly. Do they?

z0m3le

Banned

Released 1st party support is just as bad IMO. That is the reason why some people are still waiting before calling it another Gamecube (which sold 4M in japan) I have no idea how it will sell, but it probably won't average 50k or 2.6m a year without some real changes to their strategies there.

Code:
[B]FAMITSU HARDWARE SALES, WEEK 36, 2013 (September 2nd - September 8th):[/B]

3DS - 78,300
PS3 - 11,932
PSV - 7,427
[b]WIU - 5,054[/b]
PSP - 4,482
WII - 1,064
360 - 157

This is officially Wii U's 4th lowest week ever.

If it keeps up this trend, it should be heading back into 4K territory.

Games like Puzzle & Dragon and Line Pop play on a device just about everyone has and seem to hit it huge with the casual audience.

Going and picking up an expensive home console for a couple of expensive games is a really hard sell to people who aren't heavily invested in both gaming and the franchises on offer.

I think also, they just haven't shown any software that could be attractive to the casual audience - nothing that demonstrates the pad in a unique way (which was always a tough sell when everything has a touch screen these days). It's really begs the question of who the target audience for the WiiU is, like they might be going for every demographic out there but actually appealing to none of them.

Don't know why people thought it would match Wii numbers when the disinterest on the Wii brand was quite apparent by the time the Wii U came out.

Nintendo has a decent line up until the end of the year, and also has SSB and Mario Kart next year. So not everything is already settled. But I'd say the Wii U will do Gamecube numbers at best. Will gladly eat a whole flock of crows if I'm wrong and it sells better than that.

I'm expecting it to sell just over N64 numbers globally (~35 million). Don't know how that would shake out in Japan specifically.

Holy shit! What's the reason it's getting pummeled like that?

I'm hearing the game is super broken, and that matches are a slog. Can't vouch for that first hand though--I haven't even seen any match footage yet.

I agree.

Previously, Nintendo consoles used to be a hit among both casual/hardcore crowd. It was specially seen in the Wii/DS era with games like Brain Age,Nintendo Dogs, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now casual audience has moved on to smart phones while hardcore audience seems to have lost interest after such a lackluster launch and support from Nintendo.

Those costs were huge. No way Nintendo does that.

What the earliest they could kill it. Early 2015?

If they kill it in 2015 they are again launching handheld and console too close to each other and stretching too thin.

But if 3DS successor is February 2016 release then Wii U would have to survive to 2017-2018 and preferably in better shape than Wii was in early 2012.

Which leads me to belive next Nintendo console should be a docking station for their handheld with support of HDMI and wi-fi controlers or situation will repeat.

As long as Nintendo can turn the WiiU around and end on GCN numbers, I'll be happy.

Also, as for the Vita, I can just see their board meeting:

"Pokémon is coming out really soon, and we need to find a way to take away sales from it!"

"I know sir, we'll release the Vita 2000 two days before Pokémon! That'll be sure to stop the momentum!"

"Brilliant!"

*Applause all around*

Cha

Was expecting Killzone where The Pupeteer is and vice versa. Weak numbers for both games, but was really expecting Puppeteer to do better. Vita sliding away as MH4 and the Pokeymans get closer. Those release weeks, and many weeks after are going to slaughter for every other system.

z0m3le

Banned

My thoughts. They don't think they are going to stop Pokemon, do they? Honestly. Do they?

Wii U will probably sell ~700k this year, putting it at ~1.2m, if it continues this year's sales trend for the next 4 years and keeps selling 700k on average. It will sell ~4m units by the end of it's life. That is gamecube numbers (4.04 Million according to the wiki) So no, it's not really best case that it sells Gamecube numbers, it's if things don't improve at all.

Why are we expecting the Vita revision to do anything at all? It's essentially the same price for something that's arguably not as good. The colours may get a few extra buyers in, but I don't see it moving the needle much at all.

Oh crap, I forgot MH4 was due out soon.

The one/two punch of Pokémon and Monster Hunter is going to absolutely destroy the charts. Everything else be dead. :(

liger05

If they kill it in 2015 they are again launching handheld and console too close to each other and stretching too thin.

But if 3DS successor is February 2016 release then Wii U would have to survive to 2017-2018 and preferably in better shape than Wii was in early 2012.

Which leads me to belive next Nintendo console should be a docking station for their handheld with support of HDMI and wi-fi controlers or situation will repeat.

2017-2018. I know we are only a year in but that seems like a stretch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And smartphones... I wonder when we should track game sales on those.

Regardless of what I think of most of the games that come out on phones, I hope we get some good tracking soon.

They're pretty obviously a huge part of the market nowadays, so not being able to see sales figures (or I guess more aptly, revenue figures given they're mostly f2p) is unfortunate.

I think also, they just haven't shown any software that could be attractive to the casual audience - nothing that demonstrates the pad in a unique way (which was always a tough sell when everything has a touch screen these days). It's really begs the question of who the target audience for the WiiU is, like they might be going for every demographic out there but actually appealing to none of them.

Yeah, I totally agree that going for the broadspectrum device pretty much tanked them.

They have a system without a clear focus, and only a few games for each of their potential audiences because they're trying to support so many.

I also agree on the gamepad. Most people have a tablet or have played a DS, so both the concepts of a touch screen and dual screen gaming aren't especially novel either.

I agree.

Previously, Nintendo consoles used to be a hit among both casual/hardcore crowd. It was specially seen in the Wii/DS era with games like Brain Age,Nintendo Dogs, Wii Fit and Wii Sports. Now casual audience has moved on to smart phones while hardcore audience seems to have lost interest after such a lackluster launch and support from Nintendo.
I feel they kind of lost a lot of the core audience with the SNES -> PS1 transition, since that's when their third party home console support really started to tank, and they never regained it.

I think they still had strong appeal to Nintendo enthusiasts and kids though, but the 3DS covers those audiences even for 3D games these days, and you get third parties to boot.

Top Bottom