• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

Hopefully some 3DS games will have interesting +%.
Capcom will hit their goal pretty quickly.
They will. Always happens with a big release - legacy titles get a bump as well. I expect Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Friend Collection and other titles to get a very generous bump this week.

Glass Rebel

The FF X|X-2 HD date I got from Kagari's thread and posted some pages ago seems to be fake smh.

Plus Yoshi's New Island, & LoZ: A Link Between Worlds

I keep forgetting that Zelda is 2014 in Japan and about Yoshi period.

It looks to me like they'll have a bunch of decent to great sellers but nothing of the magnitude of MonHun or Pokémon unless Dragon Quest XI comes out next year. This might be a bit of a problem.

I think it was a mistake of Nintendo to release Tomodachi Collection this soon after Animal Crossing and that a 2014 would have been better. Both for TC sales and 3DS momentum. Looking at the DS top-sellers, after this year the 3DS will have entries in most of their >1m sellers except for:

Rhythm Tengoku
Kirby
WarioWare
Yoshi

Pokémon and Monster Hunter will see at least another two entries on 3DS, but they have to either launch another blockbuster franchise or try to get as many of the better selling franchises as possible. The 3DS is the king of Japan right now and for the foreseeable future but it will be hard to pry some franchises from publishers:

Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts and Sengoku Musou got spin-offs with (largely) the same gameplay as the mainline entries but probably won't get any others any time soon. Capcom doesn't know what they want to do with RE, KH:DDD was apparently the last entry before KH3 and Musou seems to have moved to PlayStation for the time being.

There is exactly one Final Fantasy game on 3DS which is a spin-off that will receive a sequel soon. One can argue that Bravely Default is kinda like FF but it doesn't have the brand strength (yet?). No remakes, no Tactics, Crystal Chronicles.

Metal Gear Solid and Tales of saw remakes on 3DS, both of which apparently didn't sell enough for new entries.

Yakuza, Phantasy Star, God Eater, Sengoku Basara and Persona are firmly in the Sony camp for obvious reasons.

Not saying all of them need to be on 3DS but if I were Iwata I'd try to get as many as possible.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The FF X|X-2 HD date I got from Kagari's thread and posted some pages ago seems to be fake smh.

I keep forgetting that Zelda is 2014 in Japan and about Yoshi period.

It looks to me like they'll have a bunch of decent to great sellers but nothing of the magnitude of MonHun or Pokémon unless Dragon Quest XI comes out next year. This might be a bit of a problem.

I think it was a mistake of Nintendo to release Tomodachi Collection this soon after Animal Crossing and that a 2014 would have been better. Both for TC sales and 3DS momentum. Looking at the DS top-sellers, after this year the 3DS will have entries in most of their >1m sellers except for:

Rhythm Tengoku
Kirby
WarioWare
Yoshi

Pokémon and Monster Hunter will see at least another two entries on 3DS, but they have to either launch another blockbuster franchise or try to get as many of the better selling franchises as possible. The 3DS is the king of Japan right now and for the foreseeable future but it will be hard to pry some franchises from publishers:

Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts and Sengoku Musou got spin-offs with (largely) the same gameplay as the mainline entries but probably won't get any others any time soon. Capcom doesn't know what they want to do with RE, KH:DDD was apparently the last entry before KH3 and Musou seems to have moved to PlayStation for the time being.

There is exactly one Final Fantasy game on 3DS which is a spin-off that will receive a sequel soon. One can argue that Bravely Default is kinda like FF but it doesn't have the brand strength (yet?). No remakes, no Tactics, Crystal Chronicles.

Metal Gear Solid and Tales of saw remakes on 3DS, both of which apparently didn't sell enough for new entries.

Yakuza, Phantasy Star, God Eater, Sengoku Basara and Persona are firmly in the Sony camp for obvious reasons.

Not saying all of them need to be on 3DS but if I were Iwata I'd try to get as many as possible.

TBF I think there is a bit of overreliance on bona-fide system sellers on the 3DS, the reason the DS was popular in Japan wasn't just because of the already established system sellers, but the smaller newer games that still managed to sell a million and it had a heck of a lot of those. A more healthy environment would be trying to establish as many of those as possible, rather than always having to rely on the usual system sellers to carry you through.

Nintendo really needs to encourage as many of those as possible now that's it's in the position to do so.

Glass Rebel

TBF I think there is a bit of overreliance on bona-fide system sellers on the 3DS, the reason the DS was popular in Japan wasn't just because of the already established system sellers, but the smaller newer games that still managed to sell a million and it had a heck of a lot of those. A more healthy environment would be trying to establish as many of those as possible, rather than always having to rely on the usual system sellers to carry you through.

Nintendo really needs to encourage as many of those as possible now that's it's in the position to do so.

This is true and I agree in general but let's not forget that the DS didn't have smart devices to compete for these small games. All these small iOS games like that Picross RPG, Capcom's Sentai rhythm game etc. would have been on DS a few years ago. Nintendo's best bet to get these games is the eShop. I don't know what kind of mentality prevails in Japan when it comes to downloadable titles but it'd be interesting to see download card sales vs. eShop purchases.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is true and I agree in general but let's not forget that the DS didn't have smart devices to compete for these small games. All these small iOS games like that Picross RPG, Capcom's Sentai rhythm game etc. would have been on DS a few years ago. Nintendo's best bet to get these games is the eShop. I don't know what kind of mentality prevails in Japan when it comes to downloadable titles but it'd be interesting to see download card sales vs. eShop purchases.

Yeah which is why I said Nintendo should encourage these games, because unlike before they now have other equally successful options in which to develop on. So Nintendo needs to actually go out of it's way to get these titles. They may not need them right now but it'll certainly help in future and especially in any hardware successor.

DaBoss

01. [NDS] Pokémon Black / White (Pokémon Co.) {2010.09.18} - 2.637.285 / 5.456.209 (2 days)
02. [PSX] Final Fantasy VIII (Square) {1999.02.11} - 2.504.044 / 3.501.588 (4 days)
03. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix) {2009.07.11} - 2.343.440 / 4.155.274 (2 days)
04. [PS2] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (Square Enix) {2004.11.27} - 2.236.881 / 3.555.469 (2 days)
05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (Capcom) {2010.12.01} - 2.146.467 / 4.502.846 (5 days)
06. [PSX] Final Fantasy VII (Square) {1997.01.31} - 2.034.879 / 3.277.776 (3 days)
07. [PSX] Final Fantasy IX (Square) {2000.07.07} - 1.954.421 / 2.707.301 (3 days)
08. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 (Capcom) {2013.09.14} - 1.875.000 / NEW (2 days)
09. [PSX] Dragon Quest VII: Eden no Senshitachi (Enix) {2000.08.26} - 1.862.065 / 3.893.293 (2 days)
10. [PS2] Final Fantasy XII (Square Enix) {2006.03.16} - 1.840.397 / 2.322.541 (4 days)

Wow, that is pretty good.

Glass Rebel

Yeah which is why I said Nintendo should encourage these games, because unlike before they now have other equally successful options in which to develop on. So Nintendo needs to actually go out of it's way to get these titles. They may not need them right now but it'll certainly help in future and especially in any hardware successor.

Yeah, but I mean, it's a bit of a distribution, visibility and infrastructure problem. It shouldn't be easy to goad someone into developing for the eShop as opposed to iOS. The eShop isn't really that well set up when it comes to purchasing games either. I think a redesign and "eShop boxes" where you can buy download cards for smaller titles wouldn't be such a bad idea if they want to reclaim this market.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I actually think it's rather strange that all these phone games don't get announced for 3DS eShop too, whenever it's technically possible - which it sure is in case of for example Rayman Jungle Run or the Final Fantasy Picross. Especially considering Nintendo always was a good partner for Picross games, I really don't understand why they don't release this game on eShop.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Retailers were hiding at a huge hardware week since days ago so not that a big of surprise. Download cards from Famitsu will show if there was a real shortage or not.

DaBoss

No one brought it up, so I'm gonna assume it sounds like it adds up for everyone else, but it doesn't to me. 1.875 million sold in the first 2 days makes the 2 million in 4 days shipment number seems low in comparison. Does it seem that way to anyone else?

test_account

XP-39C²
No one brought it up, so I'm gonna assume it sounds like it adds up for everyone else, but it doesn't to me. 1.875 million sold in the first 2 days makes the 2 million in 4 days shipment number seems low in comparison. Does it seem that way to anyone else?
I was thinking the same thing, but i'm not sure that it means much. It will take some weeks, perhaps months, before we get an indication on long term sales pattern for MH4.

Cha

Looking forward to seeing this weeks Hardware numbers. We all know what's gonna be in at number one, but I'm more interested in seeing how other hardware was affected (more specifically the Vita+U) :D

As for the shipment vs sales question, I think it's pretty good. The game will be selling for a whiiiile (most probably, right?).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looking forward to seeing this weeks Hardware numbers. We all know what's gonna be in at number one, but I'm more interested in seeing how other hardware was affected (more specifically the Vita+U) :D

As for the shipment vs sales question, I think it's good sales either way. The game will be selling for a whiiiile (most probably, right?).

It will be pretty "fun" to see the chart as a Nintendo cycle: 3DS on top, in heaven...and Wii U on bottom, in hell

wrowa

I think retailers didn't expect a second shipment until the 18th or 19th, so 2 million was likely the initial shipment. It's likely that there have been shortages after day 2.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

It's possible this was just the first shipment, it sold out fastly and soon there will be a second shipment. The game on Amazon will be available again on September 20th. I'm wondering what impact the typoon can have, unfortunately.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Honestly I'm thinking the sales in that statement might actually mean sale and they probably shipped more than that by now.

Foshy

4uiGT.png

lol

Top Bottom