• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Comgnet preorders as 9/19 8AM - Fatal Frame up 2 points, nothing for Bayo 2 =(.......
[WiiU] zero ~ 濡鴉 Bruno Miko ~ - 26pt (+2)
[WiiU] Bayonetta 2 - 19pt (no change)

Comgnet preorders as 9/19 8AM - Fatal Frame up 2 points, nothing for Bayo 2 =(.......
[WiiU] zero ~ 濡鴉 Bruno Miko ~ - 26pt (+2)
[WiiU] Bayonetta 2 - 19pt (no change)

And I believe Bayonetta comes out a week earlier in Japan than Fatal Frame? Seems disappointing for Bayonetta so far although I guess most people aren't expecting amazing sales anyways. Hope it picks up

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
And I believe Bayonetta comes out a week earlier in Japan than Fatal Frame? Seems disappointing for Bayonetta so far although I guess most people aren't expecting amazing sales anyways. Hope it picks up

Bayo 2 releases tomorrow in Japan FYI (9/20). Fatal Frame on 9/27. Bayo 2 has one more day for preorders... although was the original game this expensive? It's doing fine on Amazon in comparison though (#12). I think Amazon has a preorder bonus of like a cleaning cloth, but still...

Somehow I forgot what day of the month it was. That's pretty bad then for Bayonetta although I guess it's not going to be a perfect correlation to sales. Still

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Somehow I forgot what day of the month it was. That's pretty bad then for Bayonetta although I guess it's not going to be a perfect correlation to sales. Still

Well I'm not even sure whether W101 was preordered, so I guess it's better than that at least? Yeh I'm hoping comgnet is not very representative here... Maybe Bayonetta will have legs (pun intended =P)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Floptenetta :(

So sad, it seems to happen so often with Platinum games though.

Platinum game is about to bomb, news at 11

anyway this is pretty random, but what's the biggest market for consoles in Asia (outside of Japan obviously?)

They chose the wrong platform...should have gone with PS4

I would be surprised if Bayonetta 2 wasn't shopped around to a lot of different publishers including Sony. But like with Dead Rising 3, Sony does not appear to have been interested. Nintendo instead agreed to fund and publish the game so it wasn't Platinum's choice and we the consumers are lucky and should be grateful Nintendo chose to do what it did.

duckroll

Well, business-wise, the game craters, then I guess all the companies which turned down funding it made the right choice...?

Well, business-wise, the game craters, then I guess all the companies which turned down funding it made the right choice...?

I suppose that's probably true. The problem with something like Bayonetta is trying to market it properly and that'd be hard for any publisher I think :\

Scum

Sad, but true. But then again, I get to play a sequel to one of the GOAT games from last gen. So that's good shit in my book. :D

Eolz

Well, the other companies didn't need it, but I think Nintendo still sees it as a (relatively) good business decision. It brings more diversity and a different audience to their catalogue.
Sony and Microsoft didn't really need this kind of strategy, and the other publishers had no real reason to do it.

L Thammy

But are they decent games?

What I've heard from early GAF impressions is "no". Speaking as someone who has enjoyed Monster Hunter, beat-em-ups and Treasure games, Gaist Crusher looks like a really bad example of all of those. Slow action and brainless button mashing.

In terms of game quality, I'd say that Gotcha Force was a much better attempt at what Capcom was trying to do with Gaist Crusher. A marketable kids' game drawing heavily from another popular game.

Nyoro SF

It's good that us Wii U owners get to play the game, but... this pretty much cements this as the end of the series as we know it. So we best enjoy this last entry as much as we can.

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo choose the wrong game to fund

Not the only time with Wii U either. TW101, ZombiU, Rayman Legends and Lego City were all bad bets. Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 3 and Batman Armored Edition. And the supposed EA partnership of course. Just a big fuck up all around software wise, including first party releases.

Smash is still sold out...

Can we agree that Nintendo never expected it to sell 1 million copies? They funded it to reach a new audience, sell more hardware and make Wii U more appealing.

Nintendo should forget about home console gaming and focus on handhelds and other/new sources of revenue.

But if Nintendo wants to lose a lot of money and that give us something like Bayonetta 2, thats fine by me.

small44

Oh well, I get to play it that's all I care about.

If it what not on wii u it would probably be on ps4/x1.
Financialy for Nintendo i don't think it worth it
People are getting a sequel to a much beloved title. Wrong game for Nintendo's wallet? Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned, fans should be happy it even exists -- sales be damned.
Ys i just mean wrong game for Nintendo's wallet

If it what not on wii u it would probably be on ps4/x1.
Financialy for Nintendo i don't think it worth it

The game wouldn't exist without a publishers funding and help. I have serious trouble believing that Nintendo was the first people Platinum asked to fund Bayonetta 2 thus I seriously doubt without Nintendo's efforts, the game would still be made and on PS4/XB1

Awntawn

The game wouldn't exist without a publishers funding and help. I have serious trouble believing that Nintendo was the first people Platinum asked to fund Bayonetta 2 thus I seriously doubt without Nintendo's efforts, the game would still be made and on PS4/XB1

With the way MS has been desperately throwing money for every single bit of timed exclusivity they can find, do you honestly think they wouldn't have been willing to fund Bayonetta 2?

duckroll

With the way MS has been desperately throwing money for every single bit of timed exclusivity they can find, do you honestly think they wouldn't have been willing to fund Bayonetta 2?

They're throwing it around now because they're supporting a brand new system. Back in 2011-2012 when this was actually happening were they? They were very satisfied with the 360's performance worldwide, and they had winded down a lot of first party production and support. They were also completely out of the Japanese market at that point. They didn't need another 360 Japanese exclusive at that time at all, so yes I totally believe that they would not have been interested in funding the development of Bayonetta 2, just like how they were no longer interested in Ninja Gaiden 3.

Mario007

People are getting a sequel to a much beloved title. Wrong game for Nintendo's wallet? Maybe, but as far as I'm concerned, fans should be happy it even exists -- sales be damned.
We're in a sales thread. The fact that you are happy about playing a game is nice but does not add to the topic at hand at all.
Smash is still sold out...

Can we agree that Nintendo never expected it to sell 1 million copies? They funded it to reach a new audience, sell more hardware and make Wii U more appealing.
Question is, will they reach a new audience with it? From the preorders we can conclude that no would be the likely answer.

They're throwing it around now because they're supporting a brand new system. Back in 2011-2012 when this was actually happening were they? They were very satisfied with the 360's performance worldwide, and they had winded down a lot of first party production and support. They were also completely out of the Japanese market at that point. They didn't need another 360 Japanese exclusive at that time at all, so yes I totally believe that they would not have been interested in funding the development of Bayonetta 2, just like how they were no longer interested in Ninja Gaiden 3.

I believe you, but now it seems they got Kamiya doing an exclusive anyway so they may have passed on Bayo2 back then so I guess this is confusing for some people who don't remember when these decisions were made. The timing is important.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Not the only time with Wii U either. TW101, ZombiU, Rayman Legends and Lego City were all bad bets. Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 3 and Batman Armored Edition. And the supposed EA partnership of course. Just a big fuck up all around software wise, including first party releases.

Huh? Lego City Undercover was a good bet. It sold quite well around the world (~250K easily in the US on the dead Wii U as of the end of last year) and has resulted in decent Lego sales on the Wii U since. It also was the first Lego game ever in Japan and still sold 74K on the Wii U there so far.

Rayman Legends wasn't even a bet really, it's likely something Ubisoft wanted to do. Clearly the market for a platformer like that though was small.

Also, it's way too early to say "Bayonetta 2" was a bad bet. It might sell terribly in Japan (or it might have weird legs), but there's still every other territory that it could sell in. I'm sure they've known for a while they weren't getting their money back with it, but I know it's gotten at least some people to pick up the console already.

MilesTeg

Banned
Huh? Lego City Undercover was a good bet. It sold quite well around the world (over 250K easily in the US on the dead Wii U) and has resulted in decent Lego sales on the Wii U since. It also was the first Lego game ever in Japan and still sold 74K on the Wii U there. Rayman Legends wasn't even a bet really, it's likely something Ubisoft wanted to do.

It failed to generate interest in the platform at a critical time, within 6 months of the consoles launch. Wii U wasn't dead at the time. Poor choice when there were probably 3 other Lego games released on consoles that year...who cares about one exclusive title?

And Rayman Legends was scheduled for release within that time frame as well. How did that work out?

After launch Nintendo's biggest titles were a 3DS port, a Lego game and a racing game that released 5 months ago on other platforms.

how did Bayonetta 1 do anyway, on both platforms

edit: I want Japan and US sales specifically since we won't get any other comparisons besides shipments most likely (also platform splits if possible)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It failed to generate interest in the platform at a critical time, within 6 months of the consoles launch. Wii U wasn't dead at the time. Poor choice when there were probably 3 other Lego games released on consoles that year...who cares about one exclusive title?

And Rayman Legends was scheduled for release within that time frame as well. How did that work out?

After launch Nintendo's biggest titles were a 3DS port, a Lego game and a racing game that released 5 months ago on other platforms.

You expected an exclusive Lego game to save the Wii U by itself? The Wii U was already in huge trouble by the time the game actually released. The Wii U had huge issues basically the minute it had miserable sales in January and EA backed off, followed by Ubisoft delaying Rayman Legends. Lego games have been selling better on 3DS & Wii U compared to other platforms in a lot of cases, and I attribute that the two exclusive Lego titles for 3DS & Wii U (Undercover: Chase Begins & Undercover respectively). Considering how basically nothing except Mario (NSMBU, 3D World & now MK8) has sold ok on the Wii U anyways, that's a pretty big success that a Lego exclusive resulted in at least something selling well on the Wii U. It sold 100K in its opening month in the US, which is more than you can say for a lot of much larger franchises on Wii U. I doubt Nintendo even marketed the game lol.

edit: I want Japan and US sales specifically since we won't get any other comparisons besides shipments most likely (also platform splits if possible)

For Japan, Bayonetta released on October 29, 2009

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378922

01./00. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 135,242 / NEW
07./00. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 64,325 / NEW

Then second week

08./01. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 29,361 / 165,000 (-78%)
15./07. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA)

Unfortunately Media Creates seems to have only shared Top 10 software numbers in 2009 so after that the PS3 version also falls out of the Top 10 but both stay on the charts for a while

Is there a yearly Top 100/1000 SKU sales for Japan that we could possibly draw Bayonetta numbers from?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
For Japan, Bayonetta released on October 29, 2009

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378922

01./00. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 135,242 / NEW
07./00. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 64,325 / NEW

Then second week

08./01. [PS3] Bayonetta (SEGA) - 29,361 / 165,000 (-78%)
15./07. [360] Bayonetta (SEGA)

Unfortunately Media Creates seems to have only shared Top 10 software numbers in 2009 so after that the PS3 version also falls out of the Top 10 but both stay on the charts for a while

Is there a yearly Top 100/1000 SKU sales for Japan that we could possibly draw Bayonetta numbers from?

From japanltdrank
PS3 Bayonetta 138,430 223,272 SEGA 2009-10-29
360 Bayonetta 66,211 118,165 SEGA 2009-10-29

In the US I think it did much worse. I remember it being something like this.

Bayo PS3 US 1st month < Bayo 360 1st week JP < Bayo 360 US 1st month < Bayo PS3 1st week JP

crinale

Japan:
PS3: 206K + 17K for budget release
360: 112K + 6K for budget release

Edit: Beaten :(

From japanltdrank
PS3 Bayonetta 138,430 223,272 SEGA 2009-10-29
360 Bayonetta 66,211 118,165 SEGA 2009-10-29

Cool. Thanks Saber

Almost 350k in Japan seems like a good result?

For the US, I found this

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27228/NPD_Bayonetta_MAG_Darksiders_Crack_January_Top_20.php

Bayonetta apparently released in January of 2010 in the US

Below are the top 20 charts for January 2010, as provided by NPD Group:

top-20-jan-2010.png

So Bayonetta US sales on PS3 < sales on 360 <<<< 171k

For its first month

BlackJace

We're in a sales thread. The fact that you are happy about playing a game is nice but does not add to the topic at hand at all..

There's nothing to add. We know Bayonetta 2 is going to bomb. It technically bombed on the other platforms too since MS and Sony couldn't be bothered to fund a sequel. That doesn't excuse the tired retreading of ground relating to why it is Wii U exclusive.

I saw this interesting piece on the Wall Street Journal this morning: http://online.wsj.com/articles/google-helps-japanese-game-makers-expand-overseas-1411060095

CHIBA, Japan—Japanese game developers have built a $6 billion industry, the world's largest, by helping the nation's mobile-phone users pass time during breaks or on the subway with such local hits as "White Cat Project" and "Monster Strike."

If you include that with the size of the market for dedicated platforms, Japan's appetite for video games has not really diminished despite oft cited issues like stagnant economy, ageing population etc. If mobiles continue to gut traditional gaming in the west, Japanese developers have a shot at retaking the initiative in video games.

I guess this is probably old news to most of you veteran industry watchers but for me, it's eyeopening.

Top Bottom