• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2014 (Sep 08 - Sep 14)

Ragus

Banned
Only 10K bump for 3DS with Smash? :/

Even PS4 got a bigger bump thanks to Destiny. Than again, probably less people had a PS4 than a 3DS so more people went out to buy a PS4.

Why would I buy 3DS now in Japan, when the new one is coming in 3 weeks?

Kandinsky

Nintendo really made some weird decision to not maximize their sales. Announcing a new 3DS just before Smash Bros 3DS comes out? New 3DS missing the holiday season in the west?

It'll be interesting to see how many people are waiting to buy the new 3DS in Japan.

Actually that's pretty normal for them, weird would be to make a good call these days :/

-Horizon-

No one is going to buy a 3ds when there's a new model announced to come out next year.

Nintendo shouldn't have announced the new model so early. They should start launching hardware 1 week after the announcement keep demand high.

Why would I buy 3DS now in Japan, when the new one is coming in 3 weeks?

Right, the new one, forgot about that. Well I wouldn't know, it wasn't announced for my region now was it! D:<
*cries*

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Probably not, but that's not important.
the PS4 bump is.
As I was saying last week, it is clear to me that PS4 has way more potential than Wii U. When a Wii U game hits, HW bump is insignificant; when PS4 game hits...I mean, this is a bigger bump than the one generated by MK8, a game that debuted with more than 300k, or a higher bump that the one generated by Hyrule Warriors, that registered similar debut numbers

It's like saying, 2 years ago, after Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f released and Vita went up to 50,000, that the console was destined to be not that distant from 3DS from that time. The following week, we all know how things went. This kind of increases is mostly concentrated in the first week (thanks also to bundles), while the Mario Kart 8's positive influence didn't stop in its first week, but it went on for weeks and weeks (at least, positive effect compared to the past Wii U numbers XD ).

However, I have to admit Destiny did more than what I've thought in its debut week for PS4's hardware sales, I was expecting more like 2x last week, not 3x and something more, and hopefully PS4, while probably going back to awful numbers, will start doing less awful numbers, like 8-10,000 instead of the 5,000-6,000 zone it was in for a while.

Atram

the PS4 bump is.
As I was saying last week, it is clear to me that PS4 has way more potential than Wii U. When a Wii U game hits, HW bump is insignificant; when PS4 game hits...I mean, this is a bigger bump than the one generated by MK8, a game that debuted with more than 300k, or a higher bump that the one generated by Hyrule Warriors, that registered similar debut numbers

MK8 managed a WiiU bump for 5 weeks above 10k in weekly sales. Do you think this bump will last this long?

Ricky 7

Smash Bros sales are amazing, first game in the series to sell over 1 million in the first 2 days.

White PS4 helped a lot too, it was a good move to bundle Destiny with it.

It's like saying, 2 years ago, after Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f released and Vita went up to 50,000, that the console was destined to be not that distant from 3DS from that time. The following week, we all know how things went. This kind of increases is mostly concentrated in the first week (thanks also to bundles), while the Mario Kart 8's positive influence didn't stop in its first week, but it went on for weeks and weeks (at least, positive effect compared to the past Wii U numbers XD ).

However, I have to admit Destiny did more than what I've thought in its debut week for PS4's hardware sales, I was expecting more like 2x last week, not 3x and something more, and hopefully PS4, while probably going back to awful numbers, will start doing less awful numbers, like 8-10,000 instead of the 5,000-6,000 zone it was in for a while.

Yeah, PS4 will drop like a rock soon,but the hope is to gain a higher baseline.

Slowly and slowly with each major release...

saichi

Wow, surprising PS4 numbers. This is a good sign for when all of the early 2015 JP games come. Looks like the mix of Bloodborne/cross-gen titles will do well for the hardware sales.

not unless there is a PS4 bundle for every title released in 2015.and a new color.

PerZona

Wonder if the PS4 could reach 1 mil by next March. I'm thinking that it might be possible especially with the release of both Bloodborne and FF Type-0 before and on March next year.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

MK8 managed a WiiU bump for 5 weeks above 10k in weekly sales. Do you think this bump will last this long?

You are right, but we knoe that PS4 games will be released with better pace compared to the Wii U.

crinale

sörine;130405046 said:
Nintendo should've done a red Wii U for MK8. Maybe they'll do blue for Smash?

They must clear out their stock at first.
After that anything is possible, even the price cut.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
People bring up this disparity but DS sold to every cat and their dog, 3DS sells to gamers, so the userbase is loyal to 'hardcore' games and software, a variety of software, sells very well but the userbase is also well established by now and I don't see any particular piece of software making that big a difference. Of course the new 3ds models will bump it noticeably. I think the overall picture of the 3DS is very solid, a place for game enthusiasts who are willing to spend a lot of money on games.

This is the thread where PS4 rised only because of anticipation for a western game, one illusion is enough.

Bruno MB

| XB1 | 3.574 | 23.562 | | 27.136 | | 27.136 |

A moment of silence for poor Xbox One.

Xbox One

2014 - 2014

Gone and already forgotten

| WIU | 5.473 | 5.551 | 4.842 | 386.089 | 422.256 | 1.904.516 |

10./15. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 4.859 / 669.100 <80-100%> (-16%)

Mario Kart 8 run out of fuel, what a disappointing performance in these last weeks after a good August. Now it is evident that Wii U won't be able to match last year's sales unless it has some very aggressive promotions for December holidays. Time for more Wii U family hardware bundles?

Orgen

I think the bump is more because of the fact that a white SKU got released, and not Destiny.

Yep, I think the White SKU is more responsible for the bump than the game. But if you bundle an anticipated game with a new SKU good numbers are expected (Tales GC comes to mind: Anticipated game + Green SKU = GC > PS2 (IIRC)).

Let's see the legs of Smash 3DS before expecting it to surpass Brawl in Japan... but it seems that it'll pass 2 million with no problems. Now to see if Smash 3DS + Wii U could end up selling more than Brawl WW (12 million).

Does the n3DS come out the same day than MH4G?

More like anyone with a brain who was going to buy a 3DS for this is waiting for the new systems.

3DS has already sold 16m+ systems in Japan. I don't know that we can expect that many more people are still waiting to buy a New 3DS for this game (except maybe as a replacement for their current 3DS, and then probably mostly for MH4G). Most who are interested probably already have one.

Syrus

Banned
Destiny also smashed Titanfall. Not really surprising, but still. Has to make Bungie happy.

02./00. [PS4] Destiny # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 91.277 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Destiny <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2014.09.11} (¥8.532) - 49.503 / NEW

07./00. [XB1] Titanfall # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2014.09.04} (¥7.884) - 8.961 / NEW

Lol 700k user base compared to 28k?

Is 23k actually a good thing? Seems abyssmal still. Consoles are dead innjapan

Atram

You are right, but we knoe that PS4 games will be released with better pace compared to the Wii U.

Thats for sure, and we know that before the 2 consoles where released. A price reduction will do more effect than alle the announced TGS Titels for all PS Systems.

We saw in the Past that PS Systems since PS3 released never had long legs from release/bundel bumps.

Vita is the best example.

EGM1966

Wow. Bungie game helps Sony console sales in Japan. Too odd.

Did the title not even release on XB1?

Looks like fresh games and of course nice custom colours can lift PS4 sales well enough.

I figure once library grows, and expands in number of locally appealing games, PS4 will pick up fine.

XB1 is shaping up to be a disaster though in Japan - can't imagine any way it'll deliver 360 level numbers.

saichi

| WIU | 5.473 | 5.551 | 4.842 | 386.089 | 422.256 | 1.904.516 |

10./15. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 4.859 / 669.100 <80-100%> (-16%)

Mario Kart 8 run out of fuel, what a disappointing performance in these last weeks after a good August. Now it is evident that Wii U won't be able to match last year's sales unless it has some very aggressive promotions for December holidays. Time for more Wii U family hardware bundles?

it's less than 40K off last year's pace... I don't think it's definite.

Wow. Bungie game helps Sony console sales in Japan. Too odd.

Did the title not even release on XB1?

Looks like fresh games and of course nice custom colours can lift PS4 sales well enough.

I figure once library grows, and expands in number of locally appealing games, PS4 will pick up fine.

XB1 is shaping up to be a disaster though in Japan - can't imagine any way it'll deliver 360 level numbers.

Activision does not publish in Japan (Square Enix does COD), so Sony did it for them; effectively making it a Sony exclusive.

jakncoke

Banned
Thanks for the laugh.

OT - Wow I thought it would drop to below 10k not 5k. So next week sub 1k it seems. Is there anything coming soon for XB1 to give it a small boost?

Xbone release chart according to gamefaqs is

9-23 Xbox Fitness
10-02 Forza Horizon 2 (day one edition)
10-9 Fifa 15 and Project Spark starter pack
10-23 Psycho Break
10-30 Sunset Overdrive (day one edition)

Looking at the overall list they have listed, not looking kind to any hopes for the Xbox One of staying above 1-2k, MCC might give them a boost to something small for the week, I think Halo has a small following for its games, will be interesting to see how it does for Xbox One

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
06./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 22.977 / 75.351 (-56%)
06./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest X Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2014.09.04} (¥4.104) - 25.440 / 84.493 <60-80%> (-57%)

Despite all the talk about the game being not as functional as it should be, copies being not shipped for some days, and considering the genre, that's a...VERY low second week's drop for DQX on 3DS. It has to be said that it started having supply problems right at the release, so that means having a lower debut, but better following sales since the supply starts being available. Still, I thought it would've dropped far more given what happened.

StormKing

the PS4 bump is.

The problem with your hypothesis is that the PS4 has thus far sold worse than the Wii U launch aligned.

After 205 days on the market(that's how long the PS4 has been out):
PS4: 709,000
Wii U: 960,000

PS4 will be getting a lot of new games in 2015 however most of those will be multiplatform so they won't have a dramatic effect on sales.

The one major exclusive PS4 game, Bloodborne, typically does 300k in Japan.

Meanwhile Nintendo is releasing at least 8 exclusive Wii U games. PS4 probably won't overtake Wii U in Japan in 2015. However, it will live longer than the Wii U and will be able to catch up in 2016.

Ty4on

No one is going to buy a 3ds when there's a new model announced to come out next year.

Nintendo shouldn't have announced the new model so early. They should start launching hardware 1 week after the announcement keep demand high.

3DS didn't drop last week though
Its sales have been quite mediocre this year even when big titles like Yo-kai Watch 2 released before the n3DS was announced.

The problem with announcing a unit right before it goes on sale is that it will be leaked everywhere. You can see this with the iPhone 6. No pictures of the Apple Watch ever leaked.

Edit:
The split of Destiny is so in favour of PS4.

Like everywhere else. It's a next gen title with a last gen port so people want it for the PS4 like we've seen with previous next gen games like MGS and Watch Dogs. Install base has got to be the most over valued thing in SalesGAF :p

Top Bottom