• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Impressions from retailers

MH4 and 3DS LL demand remains high for both, stock problems continue.

Get ready for really low Zelda numbers

I'm ready.
Wii U the console where not even Nintendo titles sell confirmed ;_;

Bruno MB

With The Wonderful 101 and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD I've learned the hard way to never predict an optimistic figure for any Wii U release.

Expecting the worst case scenario is the more logical when it comes to Wii U sales, 9 times out of 10 you will be right. My future predictions will be ultra-conservative.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
With The Wonderful 101 and The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD I've learned the hard way to never predict an optimistic figure for any Wii U release.

My future predictions will be ultra-conservative.

I thought 40-45k would be pretty realistic. Maybe not?

Kater

Banned
Ugh, the Wii U sales are still so low, undeservedly (imo). I just hope for Nintendo that they can live off of the 3DS profit. (And what's left of the Wii & DS money)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
All this negativity on Wii U makes me fear not even Super Mario 3D World can debut at over 100k. If that happens...ooh boy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
All this negativity on Wii U makes me fear not even Super Mario 3D World can debut at over 100k. If that happens...ooh boy.

I'd be pretty surprised if it couldn't do that.

I'm much more pessimistic about its ability to raise the sales of the Wii U, especially long term, but I do expect it to do at least like 2/3rd of what NSMBU did LTD given that Mario fans are overwhelmingly the people who have bought the console so far.

Kid Ying

No chance. Even Pikmin debuted with more than 100k and Mario is going to be released on holidays. 100k would be a huge disaster.

Artemisia

Banned
PSV 5.155

28alt1wdwu7p.gif

Metallix87

Maybe so, and I can certainly appreciate the value of Off-TV play personally, but at least on a fundamental level, you can see how the Wii U aping the 3DS so strongly, both in terms of hardware and software is having negative repercussions. Off-TV play itself, you could argue, just leads people to think "okay, but why not just play my actual handheld instead?" --> 3DS

That's why each system having different, unique games is critical.

why are peoples expectations so high for zelda hd?

I might be missing some due to weird naming stuff but as far as i can tell the only hd versions of games that sold over 50k opening week are kingdom hearts, monster hunter, mgs and okami and 2 of those were multi game packs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
why are peoples expectations so high for zelda hd?

I might be missing some due to weird naming stuff but as far as i can tell the only hd versions of games that sold over 50k opening week are kingdom hearts, monster hunter, mgs and okami and 2 of those were multi game packs.
This is a very notable remake to Wii U level graphics.

It's like Bionic Commando -> Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Whether it will do well despite the extra effort is debateable, but it's quite high effort.

wwhdcomp2bwxsm.gif

BTmEi6UCYAAFhLi.png:large

This is a complete remake to Wii U level graphics.

It's like Bionic Commando -> Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Whether it will do well despite the extra effort is debateable, but it's quite high effort.

I'm sure it is more effort than the majority of re-releases but it's still a re-release to a series which has been waning in the home space in japan and on a system that is struggling to put things lightly.

Theres no novelty of being a handheld remake of a previous console game and the art while much cleaner and more vibrant (bloooooooooom) i dont feel it shows off the effort as much because og ww still looks pretty good.

Would you consider the ffx hd to be undergoing similar effort in its upgrade? expectations seem generally quite low for it (outside that one guy)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm sure it is more effort than the majority of re-releases but it's still a re-release to a series which has been waning in the home space in japan and on a system that is struggling to put things lightly.

Theres no novelty of being a handheld remake of a previous console game and the art while much cleaner and more vibrant (bloooooooooom) i dont feel it shows off the effort as much because og ww still looks pretty good.

Would you consider the ffx hd to be undergoing similar effort in its upgrade? expectations seem generally quite low for it (outside that one guy)

I would be kind of surprised if FFX HD couldn't debut above 50K.

I mean I agree, my expectations are pretty low for this game, but I can understand why people view it as more than your normal HD port.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe it's only me but I don't really like the look of WW HD. The color is just too vivid for my taste and I actually like blurry background from the original.

There are lots and lots of people who have complained about the visual upgrades, it's not just you.

FFX HD took the much safer route in that regard.

I would be kind of surprised if FFX HD couldn't debut above 50K.

Yes i would expect so too but because ff is a much bigger series than zelda and because the series sales are generally alot more frontloaded (recently at least). It also has that multi game advantage the other higher selling hd releases have. Regardless of effort or quality ffx hd would outsell wwhd.

I mean I agree, my expectations are pretty low for this game, but I can understand why people view it as much than your normal HD port.

I guess that makes some sense.

Fularu

Banned
While not directly related to japanese sales, I had the pleasure to try out the Nintendo 2DS today in Paris (there was a demo unit at Montparnasse's FNAC) and in flesh, it looks and feels great. While the screens are smaller than on the XL, they look slightly bigger than the OG ones.

Also it's incredibly confortable to hold and use. I'm definitely picking one up (coming from someone who owns a Cosmo Black OG 3DS and a Pink 3DSXL :p)

My guess is that it's going to be a huge hit. It feels very solid, it's extremely light (lighter than an OG 3DS), the shoulder buttons are awesome and it just looks cool.

ohlawd

hold your nuts, that's how OG WW looks like? It's my fave game ever and I forgot how it looked like before. Looks like shit, HD > OG.

well game is a flop in Japan but I hope the sales are decent elsewhere.

cafemomo

While not directly related to japanese sales, I had the pleasure to try out the Nintendo 2DS today in Paris (there was a demo unit at Montparnasse's FNAC) and in flesh, it looks and feels great. While the screens are smaller than on the XL, they look slightly bigger than the OG ones.

Also it's incredibly confortable to hold and use. I'm definitely picking one up (coming from someone who owns a Cosmo Black OG 3DS and a Pink 3DSXL :p)

My guess is that it's going to be a huge hit. It feels very solid, it's extremely light (lighter than an OG 3DS), the shoulder buttons are awesome and it just looks cool.

mang no lie, at first I thought the 2DS was a horrid hideous piece of shit, but I grew to like the design and I kinda want one now.

Fularu

Banned
mang no lie, at first I thought the 2DS was a horrid hideous piece of shit, but I grew to like the design and I kinda want one now.

Once you try it, you'll want one. It's much more confortable to use and hold than every single other DS version (OG, Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS or 3DS xl). It's also infinitely more confortable to use than my Vita (which is desperately waiting for Celceta to release here in Canada :/)

ohlawd

Once you try it, you'll want one. It's much more confortable to use and hold than every single other DS version (OG, Lite, DSi, DSiXL, 3DS or 3DS xl). It's also infinitely more confortable to use than my Vita (which is desperately waiting for Celceta to release here in Canada :/)

woah damn you now I gotta try one of these things.

Is Take-Two Interactive publishing GTAV in Japan themselves?
And how does the publishing relationship work if they aren't and Capcom, for instance, is publishing it in Japan - in terms of division of revenue? Or for example with ActiBlizz and Square Enix for COD.

Yes, this time Take Two directly publishes the game by itself
Very curious to see how GTAV will sell here, actually CoD is the western topseller franchise in Japan, will GTA take back the crown?

cafemomo

I do wanna try one out. Nintendo dropped the ball by not having demo units at the last "Nintendo event" they had here in Chicago. Hopefully GameStop will have some demo units out.

side note, what sells better in Japan? FIFA or PES?

Also, I think I'm the only one who bought FIFA 14 for the Vita and 3DS....

I do wanna try one out. Nintendo dropped the ball by not having demo units at the last "Nintendo event" they had here in Chicago. Hopefully GameStop will have some demo units out.

side note, what sells better in Japan? FIFA or PES?

Also, I think I'm the only one who bought FIFA 14 for the Vita and 3DS....

pro evo by alot

Lumyst

Those solid-colored and white/pastel-color mock-ups looked so good also, but apparently Reggie's sales data shows him that the best, most able-to-be-sold colors are the ones that we in the USA are going to get, the Fischer Price colors (I have a playful personality though so I'm not going to feel like my manhood's offended by that).

(And and to keep this on topic, 3DS sales in the US are about the same as in Japan, and Iwata is concerned about that since the market size in the US is larger and that should mean more sales in the US, correct?)

cafemomo

(And and to keep this on topic, 3DS sales in the US are about the same as in Japan, and Iwata is concerned about that since the market size in the US is larger and that should mean more sales in the US, correct?)

3DS sales broke 12 million here too?

wow

Kangi

The device has already outsold N64 numbers WW so I don't think that's particularly shocking.

Yeah, as of June the 3DS has sold 32.5 million worldwide. Nintendo 64 sold around 33 million lifetime, I think. So by now, obviously the 3DS has surpassed it.

Over its lifetime, I'm fairly certain 3DS will match or surpass the GBA. Won't hit DS levels (may not hit Wii levels, either), but it will be a healthy platform.

Lexxism

Really? Where did you get this? As far as I can remember, it's just around 8m.

Really? Where did you get this? As far as I can remember, it's just around 8m.

Last financial report (up to June 31) had it at 10.62 million to the 'Americas', 12.18 to Japan, and 9.69 to Europe/other.

While we won't know for a little over four months, Pokemon, Zelda and the 2DS should push the system in the West, who, by population, should be out-pacing Japan. Obviously there are things going on in the West that are slowing down sales compared to the DS. Really, the system hitting at least 40 million world wide by the end of Nintendo's financial year in March is not out of the question.

Kid Ying

hold your nuts, that's how OG WW looks like? It's my fave game ever and I forgot how it looked like before. Looks like shit, HD > OG.

well game is a flop in Japan but I hope the sales are decent elsewhere.
I'm quite pessimistic about the title, but i don't think we should write it off before even seeing the numbers next week. lol It's holding well on amazon and actually went up on the rankings today, so we may see it slow burning in the end. I think it may sell more than 100k ltd. Maybe.

Elsewhere i think it will fare much better. Just looking on the number of threads of people saying they want a wiiu now says the title it's much more interesting to the west.

The game is already number one in the eshop rankings. Of course, it's not like there were any kind of competition (Epic Mickey and Sangokushi? Lol). DQX with the new price also went up. We know the baseline for DQX since the producer said it sold like 140k, unfortunately, it's the number one on the all time rankings, so, we can only know that everything sold less than it.

Lumyst

Last financial report (up to June 31) had it at 10.62 million to the 'Americas', 12.18 to Japan, and 9.69 to Europe/other.

Yep, I recall sales in Japan were slightly better than in the US. I wonder what Iwata's new role as CEO of NOA will entail, I wonder if that means he'll spend more time physically being in the US during this generation so as to better gauge what should go into their future consoles and services (and games too?), they do recognize that they need to take action to raise sales in the US. But of course, as always, what actually happens will probably be more boring than what I imagine.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
sörine;83835601 said:
DQX sold 140k on the eShop? Wow, that's way more than I'd have expected.

I don't believe that is accurate. There was a quote that was mistranslated. I have little doubt it sold well because of the Wii owner incentive, but not that well.

Kid Ying

I don't believe that is accurate. There was a quote that was mistranslated. I have little doubt it sold well because of the Wii owner incentive, but not that well.
Oh. I didn't knew it was mistranslated. I beg your pardon for spreading misinformations.

I was looking for the original interview, but now i can't even find any quote on the information at all. I just remember that lots of people were talking about on these threads that DQX were the double of the retail sales.

I know DQX is the number one in the lifetime rankings, followed by the virtual console games that were released on that 30 cent program. The only wiiu games in the top 20 are NSMB, Pikmin, Nintendoland, Monhan ultimate, Lego City and Wario (so the lower end of the rankings probably is pretty small). If you count eshop games, Pokemon Scrumble and Art academy are there too.

Top Bottom