• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2017 (Sep 18 - Sep 24)

How likely are we pegging DQ11 3DS to cross 2m? About 270k out. Doable with the holidays?

It did 7,5k this week and it's still dropping. Of course we'll most likely see a boost during the holidays, but by then, the next big thing will be out, which is Pokémon. I think people (and kids in particular) will be more likely to spend their money on that than on DQXI, because 'everyone else' will be playing that around that time.

Vena

How likely are we pegging DQ11 3DS to cross 2m? About 270k out. Doable with the holidays?

Holiday boost should help, its shown some semblance of legs.

Both versions have been in steady decline and, obviously, a far shot from the big sellers of the series, though.

fortunato

Banned

Holiday season is about to start (well, in a month or so), and 3DS hits typically perform well during holidays. I wouldn't rule it out, even if the gap is big. Maybe accounting for digital sales.

Would be kinda funny if MHW bombed and Nintendo bought Capcom afterwards. Not going to happen, but let me dream, they could save Mega Man. And Viewtiful Joe.

I could see Nintendo buying Mega Man and maybe Monster Hunter if the offer ever came up. Maybe they could bring in some of the MH staff also, depending on the outcome.

Still interesting that Nintendo themselves localized MH Stories, Sony never did that for any MH did they?

And Alpha Dream is where key Mario RPG folks went to, not technically in-house. Others scattered across the universe to form companies like Skip, Vanpool, etc. Nintendo's worked with most of them though.

Deku89

z0SOZPW.png

• Switched out the Dragon Ball Z game for Pokken (2 data points aren't very interesting).
  • ARMS is out of top 20 (it'll probably pop back in eventually).
  • Monster Hunter XX is tracking behind 1 2 Switch (I think it'll have longer legs, especially around Christmas).
  • I wonder what the next game to challenge Splatoon 2 will be. Mario? Smash? Pokemon? MHW? (hehe)

• Switched out the Dragon Ball Z game for Pokken (2 data points aren't very interesting).
  • ARMS is out of top 20 (it'll probably pop back in eventually).
  • Monster Hunter XX is tracking behind 1 2 Switch (I think it'll have longer legs, especially around Christmas).
  • I wonder what the next game to challenge Splatoon 2 will be. Mario? Smash? Pokemon? MHW? (hehe)
speaking of Arms,I think it probably won't make it.Ithought they were gonna give it a big roster shake up with Update 3 to attract new players,but no,that didn't happen
Animal Crossing will give it a good fight for sure

Deku89

No one xD

I think the nature of the way the Switch sells, there's bound to be at least one game to have more than 650k sales in the first week (just for the fact they'll be more Switches in the wild). Though, I'm not sure if they'll be another that has the same legs.

speaking of Arms,I think it probably won't make it.Ithought they were gonna give it a big roster shake up with Update 3 to attract new players,but no,that didn't happen
Animal Crossing will give it a good fight for sure

Yeah, Animal Crossing might do it. ARMS probably won't get a huge bump, but the rank 20 baseline might go down to where it is. We'll see.

Oregano

I'm going to take over Capcom and crossover their two biggest brands. It'll basically be Resident Evil with giant dinosaurs.

Can't believe no one has thought of that before.

I'm going to take over Capcom and crossover their two biggest brands. It'll basically be Resident Evil with giant dinosaurs.

Can't believe no one has thought of that before.

That came out 3 generations ago. It's called Dino Crisis.

Please come back Dino Crisis

WestEgg

Would be kinda funny if MHW bombed and Nintendo bought Capcom afterwards. Not going to happen, but let me dream, they could save Mega Man. And Viewtiful Joe.

I'm admittedly a bigger Nintendo fan than most, but I'd much rather Nintendo work well with other publishers than become a monopoly. We need a new F Zero from Nintendo before they start making a new Mega Man.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After last week's break Tokyo stores are back for lotteries at Bic Camera, more stores and back to Saturday schedule. Since Nintendo will try to push Fire Emblem Warriors the signs show a rise at shipments this time, and not only at Famitsu.
Saturday is a also the last day of this quarter and Bic Camera will want to include this week's Switch sales into the financial report. That could be another hint for increased stock since this is the final shipment from Nintendo for Q2.

I'm admittedly a bigger Nintendo fan than most, but I'd much rather Nintendo work well with other publishers than become a monopoly. We need a new F Zero from Nintendo before they start making a new Mega Man.
after that "successful" 30th anniversary I'd rather let Nintendo making a Megaman game over a niche futuristic racing game anyday

StormKing

I don't think it would be a good business decision for Nintendo to purchase Capcom. Resident Evil, DMC and Street Fighter are heavily associated with Sony. Megaman is an unknown in terms of sales potential. Monster Hunter alone would be worth attaining but not at the price that Capcom would ask for it. Ace Attorney would also be a good addition but it has limited sales potential.

It would be best for a competent third party to purchase Capcom. Preferably Bandai Namco or Sega.

jnWake

I don't think it would be a good business decision for Nintendo to purchase Capcom. Resident Evil, DMC and Street Fighter are heavily associated with Sony. Megaman is an unknown in terms of sales potential. Monster Hunter alone would be worth attaining but not at the price that Capcom would ask for it. Ace Attorney would also be a good addition but it has limited sales potential.
It's clear that Sony fans' love for Capcom brands translated to MvC sales too.

Oregano

Why would anyone want to purchase Capcom?

The gist of it is they have some of the strongest brands in the business, but not the competence to realise their potential.

It wouldn't be a traditional publisher buying them if it came down to that though.

Oregano

...They do?

Yeah they do, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Street Fighter are absolutely massive. Nevermind the back catalogue of IPs.

You only have to look at how one of the few competent things Capcom is managing to do right now is leverage those brands with rereleases.

Reki

Capcom is far from a small company and it isn't like any platform holder could justify buying them (even if they had the money to do so) with their current performance.

But it would be certainly ironic after their "efforts" on Switch and MHW being absent in the platform.

Anyways, wasn't Capcom at the brink of bankruptcy or something years ago? I may be misremembering, but I read something like that not so long ago.

dracula_x

Yeah they do, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Street Fighter are absolutely massive. Nevermind the back catalogue of IPs.

You only have to look at how one of the few competent things Capcom is managing to do right now is leverage those brands with rereleases.

disagree about Street Fighter. As IP it's only relevant in the US.

and MH is massive in Japan only.

StormKing

Not to interrupt this fascinating discussion but Sega is a competent third party now? I mean I used to be a Sega fanboy and all but still...

Sega had their screw ups last gen (Sonic Boom and Total War Rome 2). But they have gotten better. Total War: Warhammer was a success. Sonic Mania is looking good so far. Their Atlus purchase turned out well as did Persona 5. I think they'd at least do a much better job than Capcom.

Jigorath

Banned

Street Fighter V hasn't even hit 2m. The biggest Resident Evil is at 7m, and the biggest MH is just under 5m. This is peanuts compared to the biggest franchises from EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda, 2K, etc.

Capcom has also completely failed to get anywhere in the mobile space which is a way bigger issue than "OMG WHERES THE SWITCH SUPPORT CRAPCOM!!!!!".

Who is going to spend hundreds of millions on Capcom?

Why are we discussing Capcom going out of business? They have like 3 more epic bombs in them before we even really need to entertain this. Also, they have like 3 brands worth a damn.

Toxi

Banned
Mega Man is a series that has struggled to reach Metroid numbers. I don't think Nintendo is interested.

Top Bottom