• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2014 (Jan 20 - Jan 26)

cj_iwakura

[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Boost # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.980)
Gundam01_zps7b989961.png

gundam_zpsbe967854.png

Japanese store fronts are so... alien to me. Total mass production.

Jamix012

I can't really decide on the PS3 vs PS4 sales shenanigans
Here's what PS4 has going for it:
- Less competition. Yes Vita and 3DS are competing to some degree, but if there's still a market for a home console, the PS4 could corner that. Not that the Xbox 360 was a massive competitor to the PS3, but it did manage to scrounge some sales off the back of being released a year earlier. Not happening this time.
- Better Pricing. The Pricing is far, far better than the PS3.
- Easier development. If the PS4 get's a decent start a dev has a lower barrier to entry to make games, which can help continue the momentum.

Those are huge factors in how a console will sell, undoubtably. But conversely, it has a lot of disadvatages compared to it's predecessor.

- Shrinking Japanese Market for Home Consoles. Well documented and almost undeniable is the state of the JP home console market. The PS4 doesn't need to turn this over, even if it performs better than the PS3 the market will undoubtably shrink, but it doesn't help its odds.
- Not pushing a new media format. Especially with initial uptake, not having blu-ray as a new format means that general techies may not be as quick on the uptake.
- The Playstation brand's strength. A controversial claim perhaps, but it's hard to argue that the PS brand is as strong as it was at the end of the PS2 era/early PSP era. A brand won't push consumers quite as much as it did then and JP developers won't nessecarily will it to life like the PS3.
- Home console Japanese game's have moved to handhelds/westernised/worsened. Kingdom Hearts 3 is a welcome addition to the PS4 library but I'd think it's a stretch to say that we'll see FF13 numbers from FF15, simply because of how the brand has digressed. Same goes for both the Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid series: both of which were key in pushing PS3s out there. A lot of the smaller and more niche games have moved or branched out to handhelds/mobile as well.
- A plethora of much smaller factors that are less significant, but still worth of note. February launch vs. holiday launch, later launch in JP than the west, no backwards compatitability, potential supply issues (maybe?), less of a tech jump than the PS2 to PS3.

Some of these you may disagree with, but I think the overall picture is a bit unclear. We'll know in a few months how well recieved the PS4 is initially and see what happens from there.

Biker19

Banned
It all depends on how quickly third parties jump from PS3 to PS4, which year FFXV gets released and how Sony manages the price drops

All this talk about PS3 having less competition is silly, in my opinion. For example, it took ~3 years for PS3 to get Tales and FF. This time, there's no Wii phenomenom, there is no massive moneyhatting from Microsoft (at least for now) and Vita and 3DS are no PSP and DS.

If I were a big third party console developer (Capcom, Konami, S-E, Namco Bandai, Tecmo Koei) and wanted to keep making business as usual, there's nowhere I could go but PS4. I mean, there's nothing indicating that typical PS3 games won't eventually go to PS4. And the sooner they go there, the healthier PS4 and third parties will be.

I agree; it just seems very smart for most Japanese 3rd party publishers (especially smaller Japanese 3rd party publishers) to focus on Playstation platforms, because that's where most of their audiences are for their games. Most Japanese 3rd party games on Wii & Xbox 360 have all flopped. Companies like Namco-Bandai, Arc System Works, & Tecmo-Koei have all woke up & realized where most of their audiences were on: PS3.

That's why we're seeing more & more Japanese 3rd party games like the Tales of series, future Dynasty Warriors games (like Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends), BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, the 2nd Persona 4 fighting game, Yakuza, Persona 5, etc. being exclusive to PS3 (& PS Vita). And I believe that trend will carry onto PS4 sooner or later.

If I were Sony, I'd be offering Square whatever help they need on their big console projects.

While those individual games are not the biggest releases ever, they're good rocks to remove from the dam to get the water flowing.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's not going to happen
PS4 has actual 3rd party support and won't suffer months without any title released and without anything on the horizon worth waiting for.

Right now, that's almost what's going to happen after FFXIV, given he known lineup. Speaking about 2014, of course.

I should bring up that now SMT4 has officially outsold Nocturne's LTD in Japan according to Famitsu, and only a notch behind Persona 4 Golden:

Vita Persona 4 Golden: 256,494
3DS Shin Megami Tensei IV: 251,334
PS2 Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne: 245,520

I'd say SMT4 is selling faster than P4G since P4G came out a year earlier.

I should bring up that now SMT4 has officially outsold Nocturne's LTD in Japan according to Famitsu, and only a notch behind Persona 4 Golden:

Aren't those P4G numbers relatively old? We know Atlus sold 300k+ copies in Japan but that includes digital. It seems somewhat unlikely that they sold 50k digital based on those download lists. That and the fact that it is the only Vita game on amazon that keeps selling long after its release. However it never seems to chart so the numbers must be somewhat low.

Aren't those P4G numbers relatively old? We know Atlus sold 300k+ copies in Japan but that includes digital. It seems somewhat unlikely that they sold 50k digital based on those download lists. That and the fact that it is the only Vita game on amazon that keeps selling long after its release. However it never seems to chart so the numbers must be somewhat low.

Seemingly they were in the Top 100 since the source says it was just updated with those numbers on Dec 29th.

That reductive Imageepoch game seems to be selling well for what it is.

http://www.yodobashi.com/ec/product/stock/100000001001936536/index.html

CONTEXT! Can't understand Japanese, so I can't tell what you mean by just linking it. XD

Bruno MB

Prediction for 2014:

[PSV] Hardware
[3DS] Hardware
[WIU] Hardware
[PS4] Hardware
[3DS] Super Smash Bros.
[WIU] Super Smash Bros.
[WIU] Mario Kart 8
[3DS] Monster Hunter 4 G

Should I include DQXI or Pokemon Z just in case? =P

Now that we have an approximate release date for Super Smash Bros. Wii U (before the end of 2014) we can make a more accurate prediction lol.

Shin Megami Tensei IV had terrible legs, in the second half of the year it was outsold by Persona 4 Golden which was released a year earlier.

Now that we have an approximate release date for Sumer Smash Bros Brawl. Wii U (before the end of 2014) we can make a more accurate prediction lol.

Shin Megami Tensei IV had terrible legs, in the second half of the year it was outsold by Persona 4 Golden which was released a year earlier.

I am curious of what the last numbers were at what point before Dec 29th.

I looked up SMT4 and it looked like it was at 237.920 during Week 25, 2013 (Jun 17 - Jun 23), so it was a very slow crawl. Now where was P4G?

Bruno MB

I am curious of what the last numbers were at what point before Dec 29th.

I looked up SMT4 and it looked like it was at 237.920 during Week 25, 2013 (Jun 17 - Jun 23), so it was a very slow crawl. Now where was P4G?

242k - June 30, 2013
250k - ? (that was the previous LTD number in gamedatamuseum but I don't know the exact date)
256k - December 29, 2013

2nd half 2013

P4G - 14k / 256k
SMT IV - 11k / 251k

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Now that we have an approximate release date for Sumer Smash Bros Brawl. Wii U (before the end of 2014) we can make a more accurate prediction lol.

How is that possible (I mean the general terrible legs statement), didn't it open lower than P4 Golden, now it's according to that data it sold around the same. Either the P4 data is old as hell or the legs weren't half as bad as your implying.

Spiegel

How is that possible (I mean the general terrible legs statement), didn't it open lower than P4 Golden, now it's according to that data it sold around the same. Either the P4 data is old as hell or the legs weren't half as bad as your implying.

Famitsu
01./00. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV # <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.05.23} (¥6.980) - 184.811

01./00. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 152,499

Media-Create
01./00. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV # <RPG> (Atlus) {2013.05.23} (¥6.980) - 188.562 / NEW <80,14%>

01./00. [PSV] Persona 4 Golden <RPG> (Atlus) {2012.06.14} (¥7.329) - 137.076 / NEW <84,11%>

antibolo

Banned
So the Vita has a bunch of big titles in March, does the 3DS have anything significant to compete with?

In any case it's going to be an interesting month.

mankoto

So the Vita has a bunch of big titles in March, does the 3DS have anything significant to compete with?

In any case it's going to be an interesting month.
This might be missing something since it's from Gamefaqs but

03/06
Doraemon: Shin Nobita no Daimakyou - Peko to 5-nin no Tankentai
Senran Kagura Burst: Guren no Shoujotachi (Best Collection)

03/13
Penguin no Mondai+ Bakushou! Roulette Battle!!

03/20
Game Center CX: 3-Choume no Arino
Hero Bank
Mario Party: Island Tour

03/27
New Love Plus+

This might be missing something since it's from Gamefaqs but
03/20
Mario Party: Island Tour

03/27
New Love Plus+

That two right there might do the trick for the 3DS. Come on new love plus? Instant Waifu/Otaku seller right there. Though it will compete with Project Diva f2. That would be an interesting matchup.
Mario is Mario, most probably be an evergreen title in Japan. They love dem Mario there.

hiska-kun

That two right there might do the trick for the 3DS. Come on new love plus? Instant Waifu/Otaku seller right there. Though it will compete with Project Diva f2. That would be an interesting matchup.
Mario is Mario, most probably be an evergreen title in Japan. They love dem Mario there.

Love Plus is dead. Konami killed the brand with the last entry that had a lot of bugs and was impossible to play. O doubt fans will buy that again.

Takao

Banned
Konami should've tried a Love Plus on Vita. But I guess that would've required them to acknowledge the platform beyond baseball games. : /

Any reports on Wii Fit U sales yet? Fit and Fit+ were a huge success on the Wii so it will be interesting to see how this one will perform.

Raist

Banned
Any reports on Wii Fit U sales yet? Fit and Fit+ were a huge success on the Wii so it will be interesting to see how this one will perform.

It's been available on the eshop for 3 months. I doubt the retail version will set the charts on fire. Especially considering how that bombed in Europe.

ohlawd

Love Plus is dead. Konami killed the brand with the last entry that had a lot of bugs and was impossible to play. O doubt fans will buy that again.
When it bombs, pull a Mind Zero and localize to recoup costs.

No thanks if it sucks like the last one tho.

It's been available on the eshop for 3 months. I doubt the retail version will set the charts on fire. Especially considering how that bombed in Europe.

According to Nintendo many people still play Wii Fit in Japan, Iwata also said it's one of their biggest trump cards:

Nintendo: Half a million Japanese people still play Wii Fit daily

"Our survey in Japan shows, for example, that more than 500,000 people are still using their Wii Balance Boards on a daily basis, and we find similar trends in other regions, too."

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata believes that Wii Fit U is going to be the title that finally puts the Wii U on the map.

By making Wii Fit U free for a month, Nintendo hopes that many of these daily Balance Board users will choose to upgrade to the Wii U console. "By using the pre-release trial version as a catalyst, we will strive to create and disseminate buzz, and ultimately turn it into an enduring bestseller," he adds.

Sandfox

It wouldn't be that hard to believe that Wii Fit U(including the eshop version) will do better in Japan than other reasons but that's not really saying much.

hongcha

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata believes that Wii Fit U is going to be the title that finally puts the Wii U on the map.

Welp, that didn't happen. Iwata keeps thinking each Wii U title is going to be "the one". It is kinda sad, really.

jeremy1456

*reads posts on the media create. "Vita is doing well!"*

*Sees Vita sales numbers."

What the heck? It's not exactly doing well. It's doing better than the Wii U for sure, but it's just barely more alive than dead.

*Looks at Vita release calendar.*

Oh boy...

nightever

*reads posts on the media create. "Vita is doing well!"*

*Sees Vita sales numbers."

What the heck? It's not exactly doing well. It's doing better than the Wii U for sure, but it's just barely more alive than dead.

*Looks at Vita release calendar.*

Oh boy...

Well enough to encourage Japan devs (except Capcom) to keep making games, unlike WiiU.

Anth0ny

Welp, that didn't happen. Iwata keeps thinking each Wii U title is going to be "the one". It is kinda sad, really.

Seriously. Does he really think the Wii Fit audience is interested in buying a new $300 console for the next Wii Fit game? Jeez.

jeremy1456

Well enough to encourage Japan devs (except Capcom) to keep making games, unlike WiiU.

Their big games aren't even as big, combined, as Smash Bros. Or Mario Kart.

The biggest games are expansions, ports, or niche games.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Wii U overtakes its YTD at the end of the year.

nightever

Their big games aren't even as big, combined, as Smash Bros. Or Mario Kart.

The biggest games are expansions, ports, or niche games.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Wii U overtakes its YTD at the end of the year.

You will be shocked then.

WiiU will be lucky to sell the same amount as last year

jeremy1456

You will be shocked then.

WiiU will be lucky to sell the same amount as last year

Without a price drop, and original software so will the Vita.

I think even Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, not even the biggest Wii U title this year by a long shot, will sell in line with the highest selling individual pieces of Vita software released in 2014.

nightever

Without a price drop, and original software so will the Vita.

I think even Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, not even the biggest Wii U title this year by a long shot, will sell in line with the highest selling individual pieces of Vita software released in 2014.

Last year already show us having a steady release schedule is way more important than having Nintendo evergreen titles every 3 month. Sorry, you are not crazy Iwata.

Top Bottom