• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It would be a good strategy if they put the different colored vitas in pokeballs and told customers "gotta catch em all!"

Too easy to sue, if they could release a Pokémon style game that day they maybe could have picked up some people who were unable to get a copy.

wrowa

I have a 1080p screen with GAF zoomed in 150%, and this is how it looks on my screen:

http://i.imgur.com/cOQew1t.png

To each his own, I guess. But I agree, if a mod reads this, GAF should consider lowering the font size of the
Code:
 tags, or maybe allow options for [CODE] font sizes.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are browsing GAF on smartphones and CODE tags are pretty much unreadable on the mobile layout. You can't scroll them either.

http://i.imgur.com/nOaPxvo.png

But new customers aren't going to be likely to buy a Vita when the game everyone wants that particular week releases on the rival console. Peoples income isn't infinite if they're going to buy a new console that week and there will likely be a lot sold this week it'll be for the console that has a popular game releasing that week and would probably be the only console they buy unless they already own a 3DS or really don't want one..

While people may just pick it up next week any positive momentum and toot horning to bring in support due to the launch will likely be non existent.

right but this was never going to be some magic bullet turnaround for the vita, at best by releasing a week or two later you concentrate more sales into that launch week. The overall picture is unlikely to change and i doubt any publishers are dumb enough to greenlight anything based on one week of sales.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
right but this was never going to be some magic bullet turnaround for the vita, at best by releasing a week or two later you concentrate more sales into that launch week. The overall picture is unlikely to change and i doubt any publishers are dumb enough to greenlight anything based on one week of sales.

True but perhaps people would be more receptive of it's marketing if it wasn't released when excitement for 3DS software was at an all time high. Either Sony basically wasted their time and money marketing this product at this time since likely not that many were going to buy it then anyway or Sony just didn't market this thing.

test_account

XP-39C²
But new customers aren't going to be likely to buy a Vita when the game everyone wants that particular week releases on the rival console. Peoples income isn't infinite if they're going to buy a new console that week and there will likely be a lot sold this week it'll be for the console that has a popular game releasing that week and would probably be the only console they buy unless they already own a 3DS or really don't want one..

While people may just pick it up next week any positive momentum and toot horning to bring in support due to the launch will likely be non existent.
I think most of those consumers are set on a 3DS regardless. I mean, if they want to play Pokemon and money is an issue (as in that they cant afford two systems), i think it is very unlikely that they would have bought a Vita instead if it launched a few weeks earlier or later. The only thing i can see having some effect is the impulse buy "sector", like there is a bit hype when there is a new thing being released. But in the long run i dont think it matter much.

beril

should have released the same week as loh, probably would have if it was ready?

No point delaying it after its ready regardless of what else is launching though.

I don't think anyone is going to be like "if only the release date was a week later i would have totally bought one"

The biggest problem is with visibility and awareness. Good luck promoting your hardware revision during pokemon week, and next week it will be old news.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think most of those consumers are set on a 3DS regardless. I mean, if they want to play Pokemon and money is an issue (as in that they cant afford two systems), i think it is very unlikely that they would have bought a Vita instead if it launched a few weeks earlier or later. The only thing i can see having some effect is the impulse buy "sector", like there is a bit hype when there is a new thing being released. But in the long run i dont think it matter much.

Indeed but Vita sales are firmly in the small minority category anyway so any small increase would be a worthwhile boost, otherwise Sony would have simply discontinued the handheld if it's low sales were really meaningless. Vita's issue is install base and they be should be doing everything in their power to rectify that issue. Some 3rd parties still want to support the thing. For the situation to improve Sony needs to at least try to improve the install base and not throw all it's eggs in the Vita TV basket in hopes of success.

I just don't see how throwing their new sku under a bus helps that.

The biggest problem is with visibility and awareness. Good luck promoting your hardware revision during pokemon week, and next week it will be old news.

This pretty much sums it up.

Anustart

Why is the Vita doing so badly while the software sales for it are alright? Are Japanese gamers seriously holding out for the inferior revision or something?! And it costs the same as well.

Software sales are alright? Sales on the MC chart are ~17,000 units, meanwhile 3ds sold near 200,000 units of software...

A lot of people are browsing GAF on smartphones and CODE tags are pretty much unreadable on the mobile layout. You can't scroll them either.

As a stop-gap measure, I'll include an Excel file containing Dengeki's weekly data for people who have difficulties reading it normally (e.g. they're on a mobile device), or for people who want to add it to some kind of archive.

Here is Week 40 for Dengeki in Excel (.xlsx format):
http://bit.ly/GQkPJr

I've also added it to the post retroactively.

DaBoss

If someone hadn't been hit on his head, lost common sense, and decided to increase the CODE font when GAF got the new theme, I would vote for it easily. However, as it is now, it's just too goddam big, it becomes ugly and actually not really readable (because with just a few letters stuff is already running outside the screen). So I change my opinion on which way is better every hour.

Clearly you need to get a bigger monitor. :p

It fits my screen and leaves space for more lol.

The OP isn't mobile friendly either, so using a mobile on the thread isn't going to be friendly for mobile users.

As a stop-gap measure, I'll include an Excel file containing Dengeki's weekly data for people who have difficulties reading it normally (e.g. they're on a mobile device), or for people who want to add it to some kind of archive.

Here is Week 40 for Dengeki in Excel (.xlsx format):
http://bit.ly/GQkPJr

I've also added it to the post retroactively.

Can't it be viewable on Google Docs so people can just view it and not have to download it?

Clearly you need to get a bigger monitor. :p

It fits my screen and leaves space for more lol.

The OP isn't mobile friendly either, so using a mobile on the thread isn't going to be friendly for mobile users.

Can't it be viewable on Google Docs so people can just view it and not have to download it?

Good idea:

http://bit.ly/GIA2eJ - Google Docs link for Dengeki data

hiska-kun

So, first impressions retailers:

- About the new Vita, a modest start according to Tadapon. Only 2 pieces of hardware were sold in all the chain of shops (don't know how many shops are). Azalyn says also a calm start, but they sold out the black color.
- About GTAV, Strong sellthrough (80% on Tadapon shops). Best western selling game on Azalyn.
- Strong sellthrough as well for Fairy Fencer on both shops.
- The rest of titles just going.

In a few hours the general selltrhough will be available.

Yanikun

Banned
So, first impressions retailers:

- About the new Vita, a modest start according to Tadapon. Only 2 pieces of hardware were sold in all the chain of shops (don't know how many shops are). Azalyn says also a calm start, but they sold out the black color..

Well, luckily they couldn't get that color on the Vita 1000. Was worth holding out for the revision.

kubricks

I worry that this is the last shot for Vita. I mean, really, NOTHING seems to help it, even though I owned one and loved it....

To be fair...

o3qIU9j.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mjxhhms4XU

This is how they are advertising the new design and colors, showing the back of the system, lol. I'm not sure why Sony designed Vita 2000 the way they did.

oJthlKa.jpg

I mean... it's pretty much a black or white system. Hopefully they can change this in the future. By the way, it's kinda shocking how retailers were ok to stock SIX different Vita colors.

Here's Vita 1000 for comparison:

dn5FXf8.jpg
y3ZGwQP.jpg

oqGa3dA.jpg
tt0U7T7.jpg

hongcha

This is how they are advertising the new design and colors, showing the back of the system, lol. I'm not sure why Sony designed Vita 2000 the way they did.

It's the same deal as the 3DS LL (and the ipod touch), the inside is either black or white, only the back is coloured. Only difference is you can't fold a Vita in half. I don't see the big deal here, really.

Ipod touch advertising did the same thing:

iPod_touch_back_LineUp_SCREEN.jpg

Yanikun

Banned
It's the same deal as the 3DS LL (and the ipod touch), the inside is either black or white, only the back is coloured. Only difference is you can't fold a Vita in half. I don't see the big deal here, really.

Then you can't see the color. With the 3DS LL, you see the color when it's closed and you leave it on the table or whatnot. You're not gonna leave the Vita on the table on the screen-side with the protruding analogs just so you can see the color. You'll essentially see it either black or white 99% of the time.

hiska-kun

Media Create Pokemon pre-orders:

Code:
-------------------------------------------
|  Wk |    B/W    |   B/W 2   |    X/Y    |
|  9  |           |           |   260.000 |          
|  8  |           |           |           |
|  7  |           |           |           |
|  6  |           |           |           |
|  5  |           |           |           |
|  4  | 1.080.000 |           |   985.000 |
|  3  |           |           | 1.102.000 |
|  2  |           |           | 1.260.000 |
|  1  |           |           | [B]1.559.000[/B] |
|  0  | 1.882.000 | 1.286.000 |     ?     |

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Media Create Pokemon pre-orders:

Code:
|  Wk |    B/W    |   B/W 2   |    X/Y    |
|  9  |           |           |   260.000 |          
|  8  |           |           |           |
|  7  |           |           |           |
|  6  |           |           |           |
|  5  |           |           |           |
|  4  | 1.080.000 |           |   985.000 |
|  3  |           |           | 1.102.000 |
|  2  |           |           | 1.260.000 |
|  1  |           |           | [B]1.559.000[/B] |
|  0  | 1.882.000 | 1.286.000 |     ?     |

Wow that's great! Pokemon X & Y should do wonders! An opening of 2 million + is all but guaranteed. Furthermore does these number include hardware bundles and what was Black and White's opening?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Are there any other photos of that vita2000 (lack of) queue? Because its kind of unfair to judge what's going on with just 1 photo

Jamix012

If I'm feeling like shit, there's somebody else out there feeling shittier.

Not like it matters. I can see the Vita doing decent numbers in the holidays. Wii U? lol not a chance.

With Mario 3D world? I don't think so. FFX (the saving grace the vita deserves) doesn't even come out till after christmas. Not to mention Nintendo generally does better over the holidays than sony relative to the rest of the year.
Neither are gonna do anything close to respectable but my money would be on the Wii U winning November/December over the Vita.

ohlawd

With Mario 3D world? I don't think so. FFX (the saving grace the vita deserves) doesn't even come out till after christmas. Not to mention Nintendo generally does better over the holidays than sony relative to the rest of the year.
Neither are gonna do anything close to respectable but my money would be on the Wii U winning November/December over the Vita.

Wanna make a be-.... nope, not doing that lol.

I'm banking on VitaTV giving the system an edge over the U even w/ 3D World factored in. And FFX/X-2 HD will keep the momentum going for January.

After that? Slowly, but surely, go back to <10k levels.

extralite

Then you can't see the color. With the 3DS LL, you see the color when it's closed and you leave it on the table or whatnot. You're not gonna leave the Vita on the table on the screen-side with the protruding analogs just so you can see the color. You'll essentially see it either black or white 99% of the time.

People watching you play see the color. You don't see the color of your clothes a lot either unless you look downwards. The color selection serves to improve the Vita's appeal as a fashion item since you can choose a color to express your individual taste. That you want to show to others.

If I'm feeling like shit, there's somebody else out there feeling shittier.

Not like it matters. I can see the Vita doing decent numbers in the holidays. Wii U? lol not a chance.

I think Wii U will sell decently in December thanks to 3D World, after that though, it's completely dead outside big release periods. Nintendo needed to turn the Wii U around in the first year, now I doubt they will be able to do anything.

Haines

Banned
I think Wii U will sell decently in December thanks to 3D World, after that though, it's completely dead outside big release periods. Nintendo needed to turn the Wii U around in the first year, now I doubt they will be able to do anything.

DK and Kart right after Mario is pretty big, if they actually release in decent time.

Which side of Vita do people see when you are playing in public ?

test_account

XP-39C²
Indeed but Vita sales are firmly in the small minority category anyway so any small increase would be a worthwhile boost, otherwise Sony would have simply discontinued the handheld if it's low sales were really meaningless. Vita's issue is install base and they be should be doing everything in their power to rectify that issue. Some 3rd parties still want to support the thing. For the situation to improve Sony needs to at least try to improve the install base and not throw all it's eggs in the Vita TV basket in hopes of success.

I just don't see how throwing their new sku under a bus helps that.
I think this applies a lot more to software/games instead. New games comes out constantly, so its easier to forget/ignore the older stuff because there is so much different things to choose from. Hardware however is usually there to stay for years.

I agree that it can have some effect on the impluse buy as i mentioned earlier, and i also fully agree that it wouldnt hurt to have more spotlight on the product for a particular week indeed. But if one week is what determains if the hardware is old news or not, then the marketing team does a pretty bad job, and one might just pack it up then if one week is what makes it or breaks it when it comes to a gaming system.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think this applies a lot more to software/games instead. New games comes out constantly, so its easier to forget/ignore the older stuff because there is so much different things to choose from. Hardware however is usually there to stay for years.

I agree that it can have some effect on the impluse buy as i mentioned earlier, and i also fully agree that it wouldnt hurt to have more spotlight on the product for a particular week indeed. But if one week is what determains if the hardware is old news or not, then the marketing team does a pretty bad job, and one might just pack it up then if one week is what makes it or breaks it when it comes to a gaming system.

Were not talking about one week, this isn't suppose to be the release of a Vita, it's been out for nearly 2 years, it's been doing dreadfully for almost all that time, this isn't about determining whether a system does well or not it's already doing crap it's about building positive moment for a system that's reached a selling point of 3.5k and has been under 10k for a lot if not the majority of it's life. Sony doesn't have time to wait these things out during considering how well it's selling.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't see the connection.
The WiiU has so far been less popular in Japan compared to the Vita. So if those numbers are the bar for Vita next week, the bar for WiiU might be even lower.

Were not talking about one week, this isn't suppose to be the release of a Vita, it's been out for nearly 2 years, it's been doing dreadfully for almost all that time, this isn't about determining whether a system does well or not it's already doing crap it's about building positive moment for a system that's reached a selling point of 3.5k and has been under 10k for a lot if not the majority of it's life. Sony doesn't have time to wait these things out during considering how well it's selling.
Yeah, but the arguements that were represented earlier were that since the new Vita model is being released in the same week as Pokemon, its basically the same as throwing it under the bus and that it can be old news the next week, meaning that the launch week in specific would/could have a big impact on how the Vita revision would sell further on. Unless i misunderstood the arguement, then please correct me. I agree that having more spotlight on one product definitelly doesnt hurt, but if releasing a new hardware revision for a gaming system in one specific week is what makes it or breaks it, or makes it old news or not in the next week, then that system probably wouldnt have much chance anyway. That is what i mean with that i dont think that one week matters that much in the long run. What would be the alternative by the way? Releasing it a few weeks after Pokemon?

EDIT: I rephrased what i wrote earlier.

BriBri

Some updated Famitsu numbers (thanks to you know who you are! x)

New Mario U (WiiU) > 550k

Nintendoland (WiiU) > 360k

Dragonball Heroes (3DS) > 255k

SRT OG3 (PS3) > 50k

One Piece Romance Dawn (3DS) > 60k

Pupeteer (PS3) < 15k

KumaTomo (3DS) < 55k

Top Bottom