• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2013 (Sep 30 - Oct 06)

liger05

Isnt the new Vita cheaper to produce? Couldnt they of tried to sell it at a lower price instead of the same price as the Oled version?

DaBoss

It also has 1GB internal memory which to me is the more prominent feature of the new Vita and not the fact that the OLED display is gone. But I doubt that would jack up the price by a lot, so I would think it is cheaper (It is $10 cheaper in Japan).

It also has 1GB internal memory which to me is the more prominent feature of the new Vita and not the fact that the OLED display is gone. But I doubt that would jack up the price by a lot, so I would think it is cheaper (It is $10 cheaper in Japan).

will people please stop this $10 cheaper thing it is not, the official price difference is just 51 yen, which at todays exchange rate is exactly 51 cents

If those are the bar for Vita next week, i'm worried what the bar for the WiiU will be when the bundles comes out :/

Its not about short term profits or pissing on fans, its more about trying to keep the serie interesting by trying different things. Resident Evil 4 is said by many Resident Evil fans to be a great game despite being more of a shooter game compared the the earlier Resident Evil games for example.

Don't stoop to this bullshit

I don't know when people are going to accept what Vita is. It's new revision might actually undersell the PSP Go launch. And maybe someday Wii U fans and Vita fans won't try and point at the other failure.

liger05

I don't know when people are going to accept what Vita is. It's new revision might actually undersell the PSP Go launch. And maybe someday Wii U fans and Vita fans won't try and point at the other failure.

It's kinda laughable when either try to get one up on the other. They are both selling like shit and a thousand units difference here and there is little to be cheerful about.

test_account

XP-39C²

So its best to just point out how low the WiiU or Vita is selling individually without mentioning the other? Does that really make much difference?

Shahed

So its best to just point out how low the WiiU or Vita is selling individually without mentioning the other? Does that really make much difference?

Just because someone else feels the need to put Vita down individually, doesn't mean you should stoop to 'equalising' matters by including Wii U.

If it hurts you that much to see Vita laughed at without a Wii U mention go for it, But someone who is not petty should not get that upset. Your original comment didn't even make sense in the line of conversation.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
first day sellthrough

[PS3] Grand Theft Auto V - 80%
[360] Grand Theft Auto V - 80%
[PS3] Tales of Symphonia: Unisonant Pack - 50%
[PS3] Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club! - 60%
[PSV] Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club! - 40%
[PS3] Fairy Fencer F [Limited Edition] - 70%
[PSV] Dangan-Ronpa 1-2: Reload - 50%

Shahed

What kind of game is Fairy Fencer again?

EDIT: Screens and trailer don't seem very promising. I'll probably pass

test_account

XP-39C²
Just because someone else feels the need to put Vita down individually, doesn't mean you should stoop to 'equalising' matters by including Wii U.
Yeah, if the reason to mention one of the system low sales is only to put it down or laugh at it, then that is not necessary, especially not over a longer period of time. I agree to that.

If it hurts you that much to see Vita laughed at without a Wii U mention go for it, But someone who is not petty should not get that upset
"That upset"? I mentioned one simple line as a reply to it. I dont see why i would get hurt by it. Maybe some of the comments can be tiring or sligthly annoying, but i dont see how hurting come into the picture. Its no secret that the Vita and WiiU sells bad. We known this for months. Its still sad to see that the systems arent selling better though, so my comment was not simply just a counter to laugh at its poor sales. Both Nintendo and Sony have put much effort into their systems, so i think its pity that they dont see more success with them.

first day sellthrough

Looks like Pokemon didn't suck life out of everything else like MH4 did. Should be good week overall.

Yeah, if the reason to mention one of the system low sales is only to put it down or laugh at it, then that is not necessary, especially not over a longer period of time. I agree to that.

"That upset"? I mentioned one simple line as a reply to it. I dont see why i would get hurt by it. Maybe some of the comments can be tiring or sligthly annoying, but i dont see how hurting come into the picture. Its no secret that the Vita and WiiU sells bad. We known this for months. Its still sad to see that the systems arent selling better though, so my comment was not simply just a counter to laugh at its poor sales. Both Nintendo and Sony have put much effort into their systems, so i think its pity that they dont see more success with them.

They are video game systems and we are talking about billion dollar companies. If you really think its a pity they are selling like shit, then you wouldn't throw one of them under the bus to prove a point, but whatever.

havokt

first day sellthrough

Do we have any shipment estimates for GTA V? Or for comparisons sake what did GTA 4 first weeks numbers look like? I though it would do well but thats a pretty good sell through rate for a Western release no?

test_account

XP-39C²
They are video game systems and we are talking about billion dollar companies. If you really think its a pity they are selling like shit, then you wouldn't throw one of them under the bus to prove a point, but whatever.
These systems are people's hard work, and think that they made something good, so yes, i think its pity that they dont see more reward for it. Nothing i can do about it as an individual besides supporting the systems on my own. No need to throw a system under the bus to prove any point, its enough to just say that i wish they would see more success :)

But yes, i agree that its no much need to put a system down, so i withdraw what i said earlier, sorry. I still think its pity that they dont sell more though.

EDIT: I thought you said "throw a system under a bus", but i see that you said "wouldn't". But yes, as i mentioned over here, i agree that its no need to do this. My earlier comment about the WiiU was not just because of this though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
21./48. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
22./33. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
23./25. [3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.19} (¥5.040)
24./21. [PS3] Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 with Power-Up Kit <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.26} (¥10.290)
25./10. [PS3] Arcadias no Ikusahime <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.09.26} (¥7.140)
26./32. [3DS] Kuma-Tomo <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.20} (¥4.980)
27./28. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040)
28./37. [3DS] Fantasy Life: Link! <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.25} (¥4.980)
29./24. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle # <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.29} (¥7.980)
30./34. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Square Enix) {2013.09.05} (¥3.990)
31./17. [PSP] Meiji Toukyou Renka # <ADV> (Broccoli) {2013.09.26} (¥6.090)
32./41. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800)
33./47. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
34./36. [3DS] Hoppechan: Tsukutte! Asonde! Punipuni Town!! <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2013.07.25} (¥5.040)
35./44. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
36./35. [3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.09.19} (¥5.040)
37./46. [PSP] God Eater: Burst (PSP the Best Reprint) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.06.06} (¥1.800)
38./42. [3DS] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies <ADV> (Capcom) {2013.07.25} (¥5.990)
39./40. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985)
40./50. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl <FTG> (Nintendo) {2008.01.31} (¥6.800)
41./43. [WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3.885)
42./00. [WII] Mario Kart Wii <RCE> (Nintendo) {2008.04.10} (¥5.800)
43./00. [3DS] Puyo Puyo!! Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary (Special Price) <PZL> (Sega) {2012.12.13} (¥2.940)
44./30. [PS3] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.09.05} (¥7.770)
45./38. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election # <ADV> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.09.12} (¥5.980)
46./00. [3DS] Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger: Game de Kaburincho!! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.08.08} (¥4.980)
47./00. [3DS] Little Battlers eXperience W: Ultra Custom <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.18} (¥4.400)
48./00. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Rockstar Classics) <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan) {2012.11.22} (¥3.990)
49./00. [3DS] Aikatsu! Cinderella Lesson <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.15} (¥5.040)
50./49. [WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2009.03.12} (¥3.800)

Top 50

3DS - 26
PS3 - 12
WII - 4
WIU - 3
PSP - 2
PSV - 2
NDS - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |    454.000 |    903.000 |  1.450.707 | 32.232.000 | 36.035.000 |

Wynnebeck

Banned
These systems are people's hard work, and think that they made something good, so yes, i think its pity that they dont see more reward for it. Nothing i can do about it as an individual besides supporting the systems on my own. No need to throw a system under the bus to prove any point, its enough to just say that i wish they would see more success :)

But yes, i agree that its no much need to put a system down, so i withdraw what i said earlier, sorry. I still think its pity that they dont sell more though.

Well said.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Media Create Pre-Order:

2013-10-06 Pokémon X / Y - 289,000 / 1,559,000

That number doesn't include bundles by the way. M-C believes it can come very close to the reservations of B/W (1.882.000).

I couldn't care less if a system sells good or bad. I have more important things to worry about.

DK and Kart right after Mario is pretty big, if they actually release in decent time.

Yes. Nintendo seems to be setting their releases up so that their after-holiday sales will not fall off the cliff as it did this year. If Nintendo can keep a steady number of releases next year like they claimed, the Wii U should be stronger and more stable during 2014. Considering how things have been for the last 9 months, though, that goal should be easy to reach. :D

test_account

XP-39C²
Well said.
:)

I couldn't care less if a system sells good or bad. I have more important things to worry about.
Well, its not like i worry about it. In these cases, i'm sure that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony survives fine if one of their system doesnt sell that much. I also dont have any personal or financial ties to these companies other than enjoying some of their products, so its not much for me to worry about in that regards. It was more of a lighter comment that i simply wouldnt mind to see them sell more.

pixelbox

I feel that people can be so shortsighted. There were many angles Sony took to make the vita salvageable so this is not the only picture. If the 2000 version won't spike sale (which we have no Idea other than one picture and heresy) then Sony will rely on the Vita TV to boost the Vita-line's userbase. If that fails they can rely on the synergy of the ps4 and remote play. If that fails I believe they'll start to bundle the Vita with the ps4 to increase the userbase.

Sony mentioned that when people own a vita, they love it and that's what they're banking on. Getting vitas in more hands because they have fate in the line. No, the vita 2000 was not going to set ablaze the charts with MH and PM launching within weeks of eachother but maybe it'll gain exposure from the traffic. So when you look at Sony's strategy on a greater scale, they're not trying to win a single battle. They're trying to win a war of sorts. Trying to stay relevance in a world of phones and tablets.

And speaking of which, I hope Nintendo has some thing lined up in 2014 cause those two games won't hold for 2 years. The next PM and MH will take time to make and Sony will be left with that window of time rebuild and solidify new Ips like Tokeden, SS, Freedom wars, GR, or whatever during that timeframe. Remember, it took 4 year to create the monster that is MH.

liger05

I feel that people can be so shortsighted. There were many angles Sony took to make the vita salvageable so this is not the only picture. If the 2000 version won't spike sale (which we have no Idea other than one picture and heresy) then Sony will rely on the Vita TV to boost the Vita-line's userbase. If that fails they can rely on the synergy of the ps4 and remote play. If that fails I believe they'll start to bundle the Vita with the ps4 to increase the userbase.

Sony mentioned that when people own a vita, they love it and that's what they're banking on. Getting vitas in more hands because they have fate in the line. No, the vita 2000 was not going to set ablaze the charts with MH and PM launching within weeks of eachother but maybe it'll gain exposure from the traffic. So when you look at Sony's strategy on a greater scale, they're not trying to win a single battle. They're trying to win a war of sorts. Trying to stay relevance in a world of phones and tablets.

And speaking of which, I hope Nintendo has some thing lined up in 2014 cause those two games won't hold for 2 years. The next PM and MH will take time to make and Sony will be left with that window of time rebuild and solidify new Ips like Tokeden, SS, Freedom wars, GR, or whatever during that timeframe. Remember, it took 4 year to create the monster that is MH.

So bascially throw enough things at the wall hoping something sticks. Sounds like a plan.

Harvest Moon is out in Feb 2014

you think the vita TV will increase the vita userbase??? while it will increase the total hardware sales it isn't going to sell to anyone that doesn't already own a vita

Atram

I don´t believe that Sony can win any kind of war with the PSVita, not in a long run and for sure not in a short run...

pixelbox

you think the vita TV will increase the vita userbase??? while it will increase the total hardware sales it isn't going to sell to anyone that doesn't already own a vita
Why do you say that? It's looks to be at the very least a nice entry for anyone who wants to try the vita at low risk.

Why do you say that? It's looks to be at the very least a nice entry for anyone who wants to try the vita at low risk.

if people want a home console they'll either buy an actual home console or they already own a home console, its little more than a novelty device that'll sell to a subset of vita owners who wish to play their vita games on a tv sometimes, it may in the future sell to a subset of ps4 owners who want to use it for streaming to another telly

it may sell a fairly reasonable amount of actual hardware over time but the amount of actual fresh new members of the vita ecosystem it brings in will be almost none existent

pixelbox

if people want a home console they'll either buy an actual home console or they already own a home console, its little more than a novelty device that'll sell to a subset of vita owners who wish to play their vita games on a tv sometimes, it may in the future sell to a subset of ps4 owners who want to use it for streaming to another telly

it may sell a fairly reasonable amount of actual hardware over time but the amount of actual fresh new members of the vita ecosystem it brings in will be almost none existent
See that's the thing, it's by far the cheapest console and it's designed to be a streambox. Not only that but it can utilize gaikai to stream games as well. If the thing becomes even moderately successful it'll take the Vita name with it.

See that's the thing, it's by far the cheapest console and it's designed to be a streambox. Not only that but it can utilize gaikai to stream games as well. If the thing becomes even moderately successful it'll take the Vita name with it.

add in a controller and its not really that much cheaper than a ps3

Jamix012

I really don't think a slight lull in Nintendo's line up will help the Vita particularly much especially considering Vita's for 2014 isn't exactly looking promising itself (Though PSNova may be worth something.)
From Christmas 2013 through next christmas I can think of a few games off the top of my head that'll keep the 3DS' at least somewhat strong.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Harvest Moon
Yoshi's Island Sequel
Theatrhtyhm Sequel
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Party Island Tour (? Though that may come out before)
Super Smash 3DS (Though that may come out after)

I'm also fairly sure we'll see a Pokemon Z in the next 2 years as well the possibility for DQ11 (though that may be multiplat.) Either way, it's not the best line up ever but I'm sure I'm forgetting things, things haven't been announced and the 3DS has so many long legged, evergreen games at this point it doesn't matter too much, at least with regards to the Vita.

We will know in one year...

No we won't. By any rational person's deduction it is already a failure, one year is not going to change that. It has carved out it's own little niche in JP and will not break Gamecube numbers worldwide. People will keep denying Vitas failings until it's actually pulled from the shelves. The same goes for Wii U, though I personally would excercise some caution when talking about a console which has yet to recieve it's biggest games. No doubt it'll never be "a success" but it could move enough units to be a gamecube 2.0.

Atram

I really don't think a slight lull in Nintendo's line up will help the Vita particularly much especially considering Vita's for 2014 isn't exactly looking promising itself (Though PSNova may be worth something.)
From Christmas 2013 through next christmas I can think of a few games off the top of my head that'll keep the 3DS' at least somewhat strong.

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Harvest Moon
Yoshi's Island Sequel
Theatrhtyhm Sequel
Mario Golf: World Tour
Mario Party Island Tour (? Though that may come out before)
Super Smash 3DS (Though that may come out after)

I'm also fairly sure we'll see a Pokemon Z in the next 2 years as well the possibility for DQ11 (though that may be multiplat.) Either way, it's not the best line up ever but I'm sure I'm forgetting things, things haven't been announced and the 3DS has so many long legged, evergreen games at this point it doesn't matter too much, at least with regards to the Vita.

Dragon Quest Monsters 2 - Remake
New Kirby 3DS

pixelbox

No we won't. By any rational person's deduction it is already a failure, one year is not going to change that. It has carved out it's own little niche in JP and will not break Gamecube numbers worldwide. People will keep denying Vitas failings until it's actually pulled from the shelves. The same goes for Wii U, though I personally would excercise some caution when talking about a console which has yet to recieve it's biggest games. No doubt it'll never be "a success" but it could move enough units to be a gamecube 2.0.
No one stated it wasn't a failure or in some kind of denial. The discussion is about recovery or turnaround.

No doubt it'll never be "a success" but it could move enough units to be a gamecube 2.0.

minor chance in japan, 0% chance worldwide. Its so far behind gc already that it doesn't just need to increase above what its doing now it has to jump significantly over what the gamecube was doing in order to catch up.

smash zelda and mario kart aren't going to make that happen, they were on gc and sold very well. They would need to sell even better than that and bring in new players to push hardware to those levels.

The only hope is wiiu sports and wiifit u bringing back some of the wii audience but i don't see that happening.

pixelbox

well if someone already has a ps3 then they already have a home console, with a significant proportion of the vita line up being multiplat with ps3 anyway whats the point
One the vita does have exclusives , two the OS is much better than the ps3. Being able to suspend apps make it worthwhile.

z0m3le

Banned

As a gamer, I want platforms I'm interested in to sell well because that will lead to more support for said platform, even from it's first party this is true. Obviously there is a level of importance to any gamer, how well a platform is doing.

However, I don't care about a platform doing badly. I just worry what it might mean for the market, much like how Japan's game consoles continue to decline generation after generation, shows that console interest and console games from Japan will become niche overtime. So for the gamer, there is reason to care about how good or bad a platform is doing but I feel that enjoying failure of any one platform is childish.

Top Bottom