• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2011 (Oct 10 - Oct 16)

EXGN

Is there any chance of the Wii passing up the PS3 in terms of YTD hardware? I know Nintendo usually pulls off some pretty nasty Decembers, plus with the launch of Skyward Sword...

With the pink 3ds being released tomorrow with no new software (apart from tetris) what (if any) older games can people see getting dragged back up into the top 20? I'm thinking the pokemon spin off, nintencats and maybe layton

Dragon

Banned
EXGN said:
Is there any chance of the Wii passing up the PS3 in terms of YTD hardware? I know Nintendo usually pulls off some pretty nasty Decembers, plus with the launch of Skyward Sword...

It's got two months to make up 500k, is Wii going to sell 500k the rest of the year in Japan?

I do think software is still selling at the bottom of the chart, as we have recently seen for games such as Samurai Warriors and Street Fighter.

Alrus

frankie_baby said:
With the pink 3ds being released tomorrow with no new software (apart from tetris) what (if any) older games can people see getting dragged back up into the top 20? I'm thinking the pokemon spin off, nintencats and maybe layton

I think One Piece has more chance to go up in sales than Layton, the price drop didn't really help it even with the huge spike in hardware sales.

Pokemon has just recently been pushed out of the top 20 so it's very possible to see it come back.

EXGN said:
NOt without a price cut I don't think, and I'm thinking they're leaving it a bit late to squeeze a price cut in this year now

mclem

electroplankton said:
I do think software is still selling at the bottom of the chart, as we have recently seen for games such as Samurai Warriors and Street Fighter.

And, presumably, people are quite open to purchasing DS games to play on the 3DS.

Alrus said:
I think One Piece has more chance to go up in sales than Layton, the price drop didn't really help it even with the huge spike in hardware sales.

Pokemon has just recently been pushed out of the top 20 so it's very possible to see it come back.
I'm thinking with pink obviously appealing to women and layton also doing then that could mean a boost

EXGN

Dragon said:
It's got two months to make up 500k, is Wii going to sell 500k the rest of the year in Japan?

Sold 600K in the last two months of last year and without any software the magnitude of Skyward Sword. Not totally inconceivable.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shocked at 3DS going up the week before the pink color release.

Kenka

Mpl90 said:
Week 41, 2005 (10- 16 October)

| 3DS | 55.025 |

Week 41, 2011 (...10- 16 October)

DS - 44,262
PSP - 29,162
PS2 - 23,659
GBM - 20,026
GBASP - 9,707
GC - 1,666
GBA - 431
Xbox - 132
Color me delighted. I won't repent enough in this world for having trolled the DS two weeks ago. Seriously though, this is shaping into monster holidays for the 3DS.
Except your dates must be reversed.

tolkir

manueldelalas said:
When are the big games coming for the 3DS? Because I'm seeing Japan preparing for them...

It begins with Rocket Slime 3 on 11/02 and Super Mario 3D Land on 11/03

Celine

EXGN said:
Sold 600K in the last two months of last year and without any software the magnitude of Skyward Sword. Not totally inconceivable.
My guess is that DKCR LTD > LoZ SS LTD

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmh, but

08./00. [PSP] Class of heroes Mono. Final: Shinnyusei wa Ohimesama <RPG> (Acquire) {2011.10.13} (¥5.040) - 16.904 / NEW

Strange: the last one on PSP and PS3...

05. / 00. [PSP] Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire) - 30.572 / NEW
12. / 00. [PS3] Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire) - 14.892 / NEW

And not so distant from the 3DS one

16./00. [3DS] Class of Heroes 3D | RPG | (Acquire) {2011.07.07} | ¥5.800 | - 8.353 / NEW

Dragon

Banned
EXGN said:

Last year at this time it had double the amount of sales it does right now.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Exterminieren said:
How the fuck is the 3DS doing it? This things is going to be BEAST SUPPLY-CONSTRAINED when software hits strongly in a few weeks.
fixed.

noobie

Banned
EXGN said:
Totally possible.

Mpl90 said:
Mmh, but

08./00. [PSP] Class of heroes Mono. Final: Shinnyusei wa Ohimesama <RPG> (Acquire) {2011.10.13} (¥5.040) - 16.904 / NEW

Strange: the last one on PSP and PS3...

05. / 00. [PSP] Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire) - 30.572 / NEW
12. / 00. [PS3] Class of Heroes 3 (Acquire) - 14.892 / NEW

And not so distant from the 3DS one

16./00. [3DS] Class of Heroes 3D | RPG | (Acquire) {2011.07.07} | ¥5.800 | - 8.353 / NEW

And there were people complaining about the 3DS version sales!

BurntPork

Banned
3DS actually stabilized. And it did si at ~55k per week. Wow. itprintsmoney.gif

blu said:
I don't know. With this many people buying early and Nintendo doing a fantastic job of replenishing 3DS supply even at launch, it might be fine. I'm way more concerned about Vita, especially since there's actual incentive to import it.

test_account

XP-39C²
electroplankton said:
And there were people complaining about the 3DS version sales!
Did we get any numbers before today?

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, i looked at a different game, but i now see that the 3DS version came out some months ago :)

Road

EXGN said:

mc
mc

Only in 2007 the Wii sold over 500k more than the PS3 in the remaining weeks.

If the PS3 keeps tracking similarly to 2010, it would sell another 450k this year. In that case, the Wii would need to replicate 2007's performance to end up ahead of the PS3.

If the PS3 has a bad holiday season like 2008 -- 300k, the Wii would still need to sell over 800k, which is 200k more than it did last year.

It looks unlikely, but who knows.

noobie

Banned
walking fiend said:
No, it barely managed to catch up last year.
Wii won by around 100k after being down around 100k in the middle of Nov.
Wii did do insane numbers.. many over 100k weeks at the end of the year are expected by Wii.. PS3 has rarely been over 100k except for one holiday season..

noobie said:
Wii won by around 100k after being down around 100k in the middle of Nov.
Wii did do insane numbers.. many over 100k weeks at the end of the year are expected by Wii.. PS3 has rarely been over 100k except for one holiday season..
it doesn't matter, for it to pass PS3, it has to outsell it by almost 50K from now till Jan, or by 110k for the whole December. 500K is 2.5 times the 200k.

And also PS3 has been enjoying a very good line-up this year, and will end in XIII-2

deleted

I find it interesting that the psp and ps3 are managing to sell nearly the same year to year after such a long time on the market while Nintendo is strugelling to outmatch their last year performance with a new console on the market.

The DS hit is understandable, but the Wii should have sold better this year. Lets see if Kirby and Zelda can compensate this in the holiday season.

saichi

LiquidMetal14 said:
I guess Nintendo has the mindset in terms of price. Lets hope Vita shows that you can sell with SW on top of killer HW.

It seems like PS3 is really starting to hit its stride in SW. More if a presence, not so fail like as their HW numbers have been.

shouldn't it be the other way around - sell HW on top of killer SW?

BurntPork

Banned
xyla said:
I find it interesting that the psp and ps3 are managing to sell nearly the same year to year after such a long time on the market while Nintendo is strugelling to outmatch their last year performance with a new console on the market.

The DS hit is understandable, but the Wii should have sold better this year. Lets see if Kirby and Zelda can compensate this in the holiday season.
The Wii achieved Wesker's ultimate goal. :(

@above: Does anyone think that 3DS might pass 600k one week this year? Hm...

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
Can see Just Dance Wii selling as much as 500K this year.
Just Dance belongs to an unexplored genre on Wii in Japan and since this year Nintendo pushes party games it could end higher than 500k in the end.

Media Create gave up with PSP go too.

Ao no Kiseki's still doing about what I'd expect. Given the usual purchasing habits around these games and the blind spots in MC's data, they really are going to break 200k by January, which is fantastic. So happy for Falcom.

I'm also a little surprised to see Ace Combat doing that well - I would've thought the real world setting plus the fact that it was written by ~a foreigner~ would turn more people in Japan off.

d+pad

EXGN said:

I'm not saying or suggesting the Wii will pass the PS3 by the end of the year (I doubt it will, personally), but there's more to the Wii software situation than Skyward Sword this holiday season. Kirby, Just Dance and Rhythm Tengoku will figure in as key releases, too, IMO.

Really, though, this holiday season is going to be all about 3DS -- and rightly so :)

Michan

It's completely understandable why 3DS software isn't selling.

1. As has already been said, there's a lot of anticipation for upcoming titles and worries of shortages;
2. There's a massive used software market in Japan, and new 3DS titles are expensive in comparison;
3. It comes with quite a bit of free software, including Four Swords;
4. There's the e-Shop, which probably accounts for a few sales;
5. There's the gigantic DS back catalogue;
6. You can count the must-own 3DS titles on your hand.

Bonus: We don't know what sales below the weekly top-sellers are. Even if they're only selling a couple thousand each, the sales of Layton, Star Fox, nintendogs, Pilotwings, Resident Evil, and Street Fighter are probably giving 10 - 20% of new owners something to play.

This is typical for most consoles – especially Nintendo consoles. We're always going to experience software droughts for the first year of a system's life. Even PS2 and DS had them. 3DS is different to most new systems in Japan, in that its first Christmas will boast software launches from three of the five-or-so largest portable franchises, and lots of smaller-scale releases (like Rocket Slime) to help.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Nintendo prepares huge 3DS shipments for holidays in Europe, I don't believe there is the slightest possibility things will be different in Japan. There won't be supply problems this December unless there is demand for more that 1 million units per week.

KingDizzi

Banned
Kyoufu said:
MH3G and 3DS are going to do monster numbers this December.

So long as MH keeps selling gangbusters I'm happy. And GT. And Nomura games.

How can anyone be surprised at the 3DS sales? When the handheld bombed and Nintendo gave the sinking ship a huge price cut, it was pretty obvious the handheld would sell well. The titles announced this year simply cemented that, like I said maybe I'm missing a funny? Like Fernandorocker going on about how people said 3DS would fail (which it did pretty spectacularly) at $250, gaming journalists for once were actually right. :/

Good shit as Just Dance doing well, it's a damn fine game to play with friends not traditionally into games.

evangd007

Just what exactly are people buying with the 3DS? There's only 1 3DS game in the top 20 in addition to only 1 DS game, but it still is running 50k+ a week.

BurntPork said:
The Wii achieved Wesker's ultimate goal. :(

@above: Does anyone think that 3DS might pass 600k one week this year? Hm...
I am almost sure it'll do that.But I am not sure how exactly MH and MK falls in chart tracking system, during the two weeks that include these two, I suspect it'll pas 1.5m combined. It'll most probably crack 4m before the year ends.

Jokeropia

Just Dance had some massive weekend growth if the estimated 20-30k first day numbers were correct. Not that this would be entirely unexpected considering the type of game, but still.

I'm also impressed that 3DS increased in the week before a new color.

BurntPork

Banned
Chris1964 said:
Nintendo prepares huge 3DS shipments for holidays in Europe, I don't believe there is the slightest possibility things will be different in Japan. There won't be supply problems this December unless there is demand for more that 1 million units per week.
I'm going to ask directly, since you're knowledgeable: based on the current performace, what do you think the chances are that 3DS will sell more than 600k in one week this holiday. I'm guessing low, since it doesn't have that casual appeal.

I complied some data to show Holiday effect on Nintendo consoles, its from NPD, but its more or less similar everywhere else too:

jan: 422k
feb: 613k
mar: 700k
apr: 440k
may: 383k
jun: 510k
jul: 398k
aug: 342k
sep: 403k
oct: 342k

Total: 4553k

nov: 1.5m (no exclusive in top 10)
dec: 2.5m (no exclusive in top 10)

Total: 4000k

It has sold over 2000k in Japan till now, and if this holiday effect holds, we'll be looking at ~2000k in 10 weeks. This puts 3DS at an average of 200K per month from now on.

Predicting 3DS numbers was fun at a point for MC, will it fail? How much will it sell? Will it sell more than Vita, less than Vita, less than PSP? It's not any more.

I'm guessing low, since it doesn't have that casual appeal.
You are VERY wrong.
I have been tracking 3DS charting on sites such as Amazon, what I have noticed is that unlike the first few months, you can't correlate its sales based on the rankings comparison like before. My guess is that 3DS is becoming an item shopped at the usual way most people shop, at retail. You also can't find 3DS games charting, because I believe people are casually buying what is available at stores, probably picking DS games as well.

Also, a very important data that Nintendo shared was gender demographic disparity. It was almost equal between female and male. Do you believe core gamers are shared equally between the two gender? Are even Nintendo core fans equally shared between the two gender? (I am not sure about the latter, but data for gameboy or GC should give us some idea)

However, the fact that a lot of people are actually unaware of 3DS being a totally new console, and very major portion doesn't even know that 3D is without glasses (28% if I remember correctly), could be a problem.

donny2112

xyla said:
the Wii should have sold better this year.

*mind boggles*

What would be the reasoning that led you to that conclusion?

+ Added Wii Sports Resort to the bundle in the Summer

- 10K yen too high
- Even less third-party support than the terrible 2010
- Even less first-party support than in 2010 (so far)

Really curious what the reasoning would be that led to thinking 2011 in Japan would be better than 2010's horrible year for Wii.

Edit:
On the first party releases, here are the Top 5 1st-party releases in 2010 on Wii through September. Famitsu data from my database.

2010 1st-party Wii releases through Sept
WII Wii Party - 971K (through 20100926, released 7/8)
WII Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 794K (through 20100926, released 5/27)
WII Xenoblade - 120K (through 20100711, released 6/10)
WII Metroid: Other M - 62K (through 20100926, released 9/2)
WII Zangeki no Reginleiv - 38K (through 20100307, released 2/11)

Total: 1.98m

2011 1st-party Wii releases through Sept
WII Minna no Rhythm Tengoku (Everyone's Rhythm Heaven) - 487K (through 20110925, released 7/21)
WII The Last Story - 157K (through 20110911, released 1/27)
WII Goldeneye 007 - 93K (through 20110911, released 6/30)
WII Wii Play: Motion - 88K (through 20110911, released 7/7)
WII Disney Epic Mickey: Mickey Mouse to Mahou no Fude (Mickey and the Magic Brush) - 67K (through 20110911, released 8/4)

Total: 892K

BurntPork

Banned
walking fiend said:
I complied some data to show Holiday effect on Nintendo consoles, its from NPD, but its more or less similar everywhere else too:

jan: 422k
feb: 613k
mar: 700k
apr: 440k
may: 383k
jun: 510k
jul: 398k
aug: 342k
sep: 403k
oct: 342k

Total: 4553k

nov: 1.5m (no exclusive in top 10)
dec: 2.5m (no exclusive in top 10)

Total: 4000k

It has sold over 2000k in Japan till now, and if this holiday effect holds, will be looking at ~2000k in 10 weeks. This puts 3DS at an average of 200K per month.

You are VERY wrong.
I have been tracking 3DS charting on sites such as Amazon, what I have noticed is that unlike the first few months, you can't correlate its sales based on the rankings comparison like before. My guess is that 3DS is becoming an item shopped at the usual way most people shop, at retail. You also can't find 3DS games charting, because I believe people are casually buying what is available at stores, probably picking DS games as well.

Also, a very important data that Nintendo shared was gender demographic disparity. It was almost equal between female and male. Do you believe core gamers are shared equally between the two gender? Are even Nintendo core fans equally shared between the two gender? (I am not sure about the latter, but data for gameboy or GC should give us some idea)

However, the fact that a lot of people are actually unaware of 3DS being a totally new console, and very major portion doesn't even know that 3D is without glasses (28% if I remember correctly), could be a problem.
Hm. Can't argue against those points! :p I can't wait to see how things go.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Daschysta said:
Good god 3DS is going to be a holiday monster. I could see 75k+ with pink coming out next week and after that...

I think 100k are possible next week.
But my main curiosity is Tetris. :lol

Mpl90 said:
I think 100k are possible next week.
But my main curiosity is Tetris. :lol
it's not a good game, why should it sell? I haven't followed it at all, but it'll probably do like 10k :D though, I should look it up to see how much it may really sell.

Top Bottom