• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 43, 2012 (Oct 22 - Oct 28)

SCE thought it was going to be big. They devoted time to it at E3 2011, and have a few exclusive characters. I don't blame them either because the two largest fighting game franchises crossing over shouldn't have bombed, but with Capcom there's a way. Once people got hands on with the game any hope for it being a big seller on any platform kind of washed away.

I'd say Sony deserved a bit of the blame themselves. The content split between the PS3 and Vita versions was surely their idea and something they devoted time to pushing in their own conferences. It unnecessarily hamstrung the main console versions because everyone who wasn't buying it for Vita was getting screwed and no one particularly wanted it for the Vita (to say nothing of it being months too late).

Well, Vita could have a rude first year, but there's still room. Price drop is far from being impossible:
Make a newer model, cheaper, like they did with PS3.
That happened years after its release, when the hardware components were somewhat cheaper. (And they removed functionality.)

And for FFVII, well, IIRC, Sony is a shareholder of Square Enix ? Also, I think Sony has the cash, but could also take care of external cost, like translation, marketing, publishing etc...

Their shares aren't so high as to have much sway. And regards to cash and ability to take care of the 'external cost' you mention, so does Nintendo and Microsoft. This is a pipe dream. :- /

zroid

Banned
Unless a miracle happens in the West and AC3:L/CoD:D strike gold, there really just isn't much else coming in any region that can pull Vita from its dire straits. Certainly nothing that's been announced.

hatchx

Banned
It's certainly one of the most mishandled events in video game history.

SF had a renaissance. Tekken was always popular. Capcom has a great track record with crossovers. What could possibly go wrong?

everything.

Not sure I follow. I havn't played SFxT yet, but the game has an 84 on metacritic.

Well, Vita could have a rude first year, but there's still room. Price drop is far from being impossible:
And for FFVII, well, IIRC, Sony is a shareholder of Square Enix ? Also, I think Sony has the cash, but could also take care of external cost, like translation, marketing, publishing etc...

Sony's shares of Square halved after the merger and were never particularly significant to begin with.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

The issue with the Vita is that Sony was far too slow, and unreactive, when they should have been aggressive. The PS3 made a come back because it still getting support same with psp. A price cut and bundle only really helps if you already have decent ecosystem with popular games already currently being developed for it.

Developer confidence with the Vita is low, it goes lower every week the Vita sells like this even if Sony does a massive price cut sometime next year developers won't just bend over backwards to start developing for the thing, when they already have projects for say the 3DS. It's why Nintendo did what they did, and the longer it takes for for Sony to do it with the Vita, the les the price cut will matter.

Seems Sony's fear of losing money is causing to take the very real risk of disconting/selling in obscurity.

Takao

Banned
Not sure I follow. I havn't played SFxT yet, but the game has an 84 on metacritic.

Game review scores and public opinion aren't always the same. The fighting game community has not taken to SFxT at all.

Sony's shares of Square halved after the merger and were never particularly significant to begin with.

Err, SCE is the largest single shareholder of Square Enix IIRC. And if what you're saying is true, they would have owned 15-20% of Squaresoft, which would be a significant chunk. It's not enough to have a say over what Square does, but it's certainly something.

Edit: My mistake, SCE is the third largest.

flippedb

Banned
Can't get any lower? Tell that to Vita

Fb1Ev.jpg

Game review scores and public opinion aren't always the same. The fighting game community has not taken to SFxT at all.

The community at large, anyway. There was some very suspicious "This game is literally the best fighting game of all time" talk from big-name players before release. Few of those big-name players are still actively playing the game in the tournament scene, funnily enough.

HD collections are killing the Vita

Actually, I had never thought about it, but...maybe?

If those HD Collections didn't exist, and instead were just Portable Collections, would that have driven more people to the Vita? If it were a fixed SotC or Sly Cooper Collection exclusively for Vita, that would at least give it software it needs.

Spiegel

Actually, I had never thought about it, but...maybe?

If those HD Collections didn't exist, and instead were just Portable Collections, would that have driven more people to the Vita? If it were a fixed SotC or Sly Cooper Collection exclusively for Vita, that would at least give it software it needs.

Yeah, I wasn't totally serious but previous gen ports and remakes have always been a big part of the handhelds catalog. Seeing Yakuza I&II releasing next (this?) week for PS3 made me think about this.

Games like GOW1&2, SOTC, Yakuza, MGS,... could have helped the Vita in the first year if they were the first releases since the originals.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Err, SCE is the largest single shareholder of Square Enix IIRC. And if what you're saying is true, they would have owned 15-20% of Squaresoft, which would be a significant chunk. It's not enough to have a say over what Square does, but it's certainly something.

Edit: My mistake, SCE is the third largest.

Why did you think SCE had more than Fukushima? They didn't have shares in Enix.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I know 3DS never did as worse as Vita, but still, when you think about it, there's still room for Vita to be successful.
For 3DS ? It was price drop + Monster Hunter (+Mario of course).
But Vita ? Well, it's up to Sony to make things happen but... well I think people could change their mind about Vita's fate if they could announce a price drop + Final Fantasy VII remake.
Yup, I'm serious :p

It wasn't MH alone with the price drop.
It was also MK and Mario Land (best selling 3d mario EVER in Japan).

Price drop doable in short timings (while Sony cannot do it in the same timeframe, due to different business model from the beginning), very strong first party IP (while Sony still have to demonstrate to be able to push its own console on its own), and a good faith from third parties in the console itself with the huge list of Japanese franchises announced for 3DS at E3 2011 probably also because of Nintendo will to drug the support from DS to 3DS from the beginning (while Sony did nothing to convince the softco to abandon PSP for Vita before Vita's launch); a support that was reassured in short time with the price drop within few months, because of slow penetration on the market for the console itself, while for Vita the time frame is becoming very long up to now

So, Vita is no 3DS-pre-pricecut up to now in Japan, honestly.

DR2K

Banned
Almost every 3DS in the top 20 has not or will not release outside of it. Does Nintendo really wonder why it's struggling with the 3DS everywhere else?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet's corner

[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 1065pt
[PS3] Tales of Xillia 2 - 569pt

[Wii] Animal Crossing: City Folk - 253pt ( 164 + 89)
[3DS] Animal Crossing New Leaf - 470pt

[PSP] Super Robot Taisen Z 2: Hakai-hen - 321pt ( 235 + 86)
[PSP] Super Robot Taisen Z 2: Sensei-hen - 193pt
[PS3] Super Robot Taisen OG 2 - 212pt

[PS3] Yakuza 3 - 277pt
[PS3] Yakuza 4 - 226pt
[PS3] Yakuza 5 - 167pt

[PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 53pt
[PSP] Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 - 45pt

I want the Vita to succeed, but I just don't think it ever will.

On another note, 3DS' sales are going to be nuts in February and March w/DQVII and MH4, and with Paper Mario and Animal Crossing coming up, it will be continued domination for the next 6 months.

I wonder what Nintendo has planned for the 3DS outside of Luigi's Mansion in 2013. Zelda and Pokemon Gen 6 possibly?

jimmypython

In Japan it almost comes to a point of money hatting big IPs or die situation for Vita and SCEJ. Because:

1. no 3rd party developer is willing to develop for the Vita (just look at the pre-TGS conference, not a single Vita exclusive from any major publishers. And yes, Marvelous AQL is not major enough as a publisher with system seller IPs in Japan).

2. SCEJ's development house has lost interest/confidence to develop on the Vita too: no followups after Gravity Daze and Soul Sacrifice announcement from SCEJ. Why is puppeteer not a Vita exclusive? Why porting Everybody's Golf 6 to PS3? (I don't think nintendo will port Mario Kart 7 to the WiiU)

Seriously SCEJ, just don't bother making the Vita and let "nobody can compete with Nintendo for the dedicated handheld market" continue to be true.

Takao

Banned
Are you really asking why SCEJ didn't announce a sequel to a game that shipped 6 months ago at that time? Really?

Their TGS announcement was the Over My Dead Body sequel with Alfa System.

disco

I want the Vita to succeed, but I just don't think it ever will.

On another note, 3DS' sales are going to be nuts in February and March w/DQVII and MH4, and with Paper Mario and Animal Crossing coming up, it will be continued domination for the next 6 months.

I wonder what Nintendo has planned for the 3DS outside of Luigi's Mansion in 2013. Zelda and Pokemon Gen 6 possibly?

I'm sure they'll let us know 2 months before each title launches ha. I like Nintendo's new style keeping everyone on their toes. Really keeps the hype flowing.

jimmypython

Are you really asking why SCEJ didn't announce a sequel to a game that shipped 6 months ago at that time? Really?

I mean other followup major titles, not the followup to the franchise. They should do a SCEA/E. Keep announcing new major IPs equivalent to Uncharted, KILLZONE, Heavy Rian, Resistance, Infamous, God of War for the Vita if they really want to make it right from 1st party.

Their TGS announcement was the Over My Dead Body sequel with Alfa System.
You know they're allowed to announce the sequel to them at any time.

test_account

XP-39C²
2. SCEJ's development house has lost interest/confidence to develop on the Vita too: no followups after Gravity Daze and Soul Sacrifice announcement from SCEJ. Why is puppeteer not a Vita exclusive? Why porting Everybody's Golf 6 to PS3? (I don't think nintendo will port Mario Kart 7 to the WiiU)

Seriously SCEJ, just don't bother making the Vita and let "nobody can compete with Nintendo for the dedicated handheld market" continue to be true.
Puppeteer has been in developement for about 3 years, that is why it is for PS3. Everybody's Golf 6 is pretty much done selling at this point, so porting it to PS3 means more money (in comparison, why is Capcom porting Monster Hunter TriG to WiiU? To make more money :)).

PSP proved differently. It is definitelly possible to compete with Nintendo on the handheld side.

Takao

Banned
HSG is a game that would continue to sell on Vita, had you know, Vita continue to sell. It's definitely not finished selling. It's a series with legs. It appears that the PS3 SKU is being used as a celebration of the series 15th Anniversary.

You know they're allowed to announce the sequel to them at any time.

At this point I imagine there literally would be nothing to show but a logo. Toyama has hinted that SCE has given him the go ahead for a sequel. He did as such after getting the TGS Game of the Year award.

I mean other followup titles, not the followup to the franchise. They should do a SCEA. Keep announcing new major titles equivalent to Uncharted, KILLZONE, Heavy Rian, Resistance, Infamous, God of War for the Vita if they really want to make it right from 1st party.

Japan Studio hasn't made big titles internally in a long time. They usually partner up with outside studios to make games, and there's no reason to believe they don't have more in store.

jimmypython

Puppeteer has been in developement for about 3 years, that is why it is for PS3. Everybody's Golf 6 is pretty much done selling at this point, so porting it to PS3 means more money (in comparison, why is Capcom porting Monster Hunter TriG to WiiU? To make more money :))

TriG HD version is more of a "look, WiiU will get Monster Hunter" situation for Nintendo than the actual game itself. In this case, by all means to port any major release to the new console. I wouldn't mind to see a PS4 version of Dissidia FF or FF type-0

Izayoi

Banned
3DS RSE remakes or Gen VI are guaranteed next year in Japan. Pokemon alone could probably hold down the entire year by itself, but I'm sure we'll see some other stuff too.

test_account

XP-39C²
HSG is a game that would continue to sell on Vita, had you know, Vita continue to sell. It's definitely not finished selling. It's a series with legs. It appears that the PS3 SKU is being used as a celebration of the series 15th Anniversary.
Of course, but i don't think there is a lot more sales to get from the Vita version, and most importantly, i think that its selling power regarding hardware is pretty much done too. But even with the PS3 version coming, the Vita version will still excist, so people still have the chance to buy it if they want.

TriG HD version is more of a "look, WiiU will get Monster Hunter" situation for Nintendo than the actual game itself.
I don't see the big difference, but i see what you mean. Capcom decided to port the game in an attempt to make more money. That is what it boils down to. There probably wont be a Minna no Golf 7 for the PS3, so getting MnG6 instead means "another MnG game for PS3" :)

No matter how you look at it, Vita is a spectacular fail for Sony.

Yeah, the eight year old PSP sold almost three times more units than the PSVita this week. And the only two PSV games to chart rank lower than the two XBox 360 listed. Ouch.

The PSV needs a runaway hit, stat.

Capcom screwed the pooch with their handheld fighter support. SSF4AE, UMVC3 and SFXT all would've been better served with 3DS releases than not.

If MH4 was the knock out blow to the Vita, DQ7R is the final death blow to it.
Poetic justice. DQ7 was also the final death blow for N64.

I can't imagine Falcom beeing happy with those terrible sales for both Y's and Kiseki
Ys did okay, Kiseki's a clusterfuck. Falcom didn't develop or publish the latter though so they might not care.

Question- Are people more skeptical/doubtful of PS4's success (worldwide, but focused on Japan) because of Vita's failure, or do you think they are 2 completely different scenarios that have nothing to do with each other?

Myself, I would say a bit of both. PS4 is guaranteed to be healthier than Vita because of the West, but I would be lying if I said I do not wonder a little bit about Sony's overall competence right now.
Relying on Microsoft to garner content doesn't sound like a winning Japanese strategy imo. I'd be more inclinded to think SCE learned from their Vita mistakes and take a more proactive approach, but then Sony seems pretty resistent to change. Yoshida's comments on their Vita approach was both fascinating and horrifying.

I'll be surprised if PS4 doesn't perform significantly worse than PS3.

3DS RSE remakes or Gen VI are guaranteed next year in Japan. Pokemon alone could probably hold down the entire year by itself, but I'm sure we'll see some other stuff too.

I can't imagine R/S remakes coming out as the first 3DS games. But yea I figured we would see Gen VI Fall 2013 Japan/Spring 2014 everywhere else.

I still think that Sony just should have moneyhatted Capcom for MH4 vita exclusivity no matter the price. MH was more than one big game for PSP. It created the whole ecosystem around it and pulled other publishers to make games for PSP too. I also don't think that Nintendo would have actually countered if Sony had made serious offer to Capcom. For Nintendo MH is only nice bonus.

liger05

Capcom screwed the pooch with their handheld fighter support. SSF4AE, UMVC3 and SFXT all would've been better served with 3DS releases than not.

co-sign. May not have done major numbers but to me getting them on the 3DS was a no brainer.

Puppeteer has been in developement for about 3 years, that is why it is for PS3. Everybody's Golf 6 is pretty much done selling at this point, so porting it to PS3 means more money (in comparison, why is Capcom porting Monster Hunter TriG to WiiU? To make more money :)).

No. HSG6 on PS3 sets a dangerous precedent; it screams to potential owners "look, exclusive Vita games may come to PS3 at any moment! Even Sony is porting up!". Monster Hunter 3G has already been a success by itself. HSG6 is not.

I still think that Sony just should have moneyhatted Capcom for MH4 vita exclusivity no matter the price. MH was more than one big game for PSP. It created the whole ecosystem around it and pulled other publishers to make games for PSP too. I also don't think that Nintendo would have actually countered if Sony had made serious offer to Capcom. For Nintendo MH is only nice bonus.

Too late.
Waiting for Monster Hunter means that third parties have to organize development of games. That would mean first hunting actions / PSP-style games in 2014.

Beth Cyra

People say this as if Sony didn't try and I find that very unlikely.

However even if they didn't, Nintendo certainly did and it's more then just a bonus for them. Their efforts with the franchise in North America and the fact that Monster Hunter 4 was announced before TriG even shipped shows that Nintendo see's the value in the franchise, maybe even greater then more then most of their own.

test_account

XP-39C²
No. HSG6 on PS3 sets a dangerous precedent; it screams to potential owners "look, exclusive Vita games may come to PS3 at any moment! Even Sony is porting up!". Monster Hunter 3G has already been a success by itself. HSG6 is not.
MnG6 on Vita is pretty much done selling at this point, at least as being seen a system seller, so porting it over to PS3 means more money. I doubt it will hurt the Vita sales now, just like i doubt TriG for WiiU will affect the 3DS version sales much (sorry, but i must ask, what part of my post is the "no" referring to?).

It wont set a more precedent than what TriG does. It is one game.

Takao

Banned
Of course, but i don't think there is a lot more sales to get from the Vita version, and most importantly, i think that its selling power regarding hardware is pretty much done too. But even with the PS3 version coming, the Vita version will still excist, so people still have the chance to buy it if they want.

Hot Shots Golf isn't really a system seller. It's a game that you would buy alongside the game that made you buy the platform. It's part of the reason the games have historically long legs. They get clipped if someone already owns it on another piece of hardware. That said, SCEJ's wacky cross buy initiative (which is actually a discount on a PSN copy, not a free copy) may prove to move more copies than it would've. Though we'll never see that on Media Create.

Poetic justice. DQ7 was also the final death blow for N64.

Yes, I'm sure a game released in 2000 was the finishing blow to the N64. If it wasn't for that meddling Enix and their damn dragons N64 would've ruled Japan!
This is a joke, don't reply to this.

Ys did okay, Kiseki's a clusterfuck. Falcom didn't develop or publish the latter though so they might not care.

The only clusterfuck regarding Kiseki Evolution is the insane amount of (still unfixed) glitches, and how consumer unfriendly Kadokawa is being. Given that, and the fact it's a game already playable on Vita I'm honestly surprised it's still on the charts this week.

I think Sony did try, and not only did they fail they got burned. SCE gave Capcom a very easy way to make more money off of the same game with HD re-releases, and proved at least 400k would buy the laziest of ports, of even PSP games. Now Capcom never has to make a real Monster Hunter on a home console ever again, and suddenly Nintendo has "Monster Hunter" to add to their Wii U list.

This is probably why Monster Hunter Portable is dead. There's not going to be a distinction between home console and portable MH. It's going to be the exact same game now.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hot Shots Golf isn't really a system seller. It's a game that you would buy alongside the game that made you buy the platform. It's part of the reason the games have historically long legs. They get clipped if someone already owns it on another piece of hardware. That said, SCEJ's wacky cross buy initiative (which is actually a discount on a PSN copy, not a free copy) may prove to move more copies than it would've. Though we'll never see that on Media Create.
I can see that. But if it isnt a system seller on its own, i dont think it affects the Vita sales at this point.

I think it is a wise decition since it mean one extra PS3 game for this holiday. The sales numbers will show the final result however.

How is the cross buy for this game?

Top Bottom