• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 44, 2011 (Oct 31 - Nov 06)

iceatcs

saichi said:
it's very unlikely UC Vita would be at 125K on launch week
More unlikely too. I don't think Sony have shipped more than 200K hardware on the launch week before.

Michan

Nuclear Muffin said:
Man I missed this chart. I wonder if NSMB DS could possibly do the impossible and surpass the original SMB...
90% of the way there! All they need is a budget reprint and it'll reach it.

Nintendo won't do it though, as it'll de-value the next NSMB release.

How does DQH: Rocket Slime 3 compare to the rest of the series? I would've thought a DQ spinoff would sell much better but if I remember correctly DS' number was also pretty poor.

I find the 3DS sales and the Mario sales totally unsurprising but the Uncharted sales....goddamn. Didn't know it was popular in Japan.

Michan said:
90% of the way there! All they need is a budget reprint and it'll reach it.

Nintendo won't do it though, as it'll de-value the next NSMB release.

What about some sort of promotion where NSMB and SM3DL are promoted together?

Jb

Amazing sales for 3D Land, I really wasn't sure if would have the mass appeal a NSMB game has. Hopefully it means they're hard at work on a pure 3D Mario game for the WiiU's launch :)

Aeana

Lord_Byron28 said:
How does DQH: Rocket Slime 3 compare to the rest of the series? I would've thought a DQ spinoff would sell much better but if I remember correctly DS' number was also pretty poor.
Slime Morimori 2 sold 43,995 its first week. The first one sold 67,797 its first week.

Michan

Nuclear Muffin said:
What about some sort of double promotion where NSMB and SM3DL are promoted together?
Yeah, that could work to boost sales of both games. Other publishers do it quite frequently in Japan. But it could also cause more brand confusion with 3DS/DS, which is something Nintendo has been working hard to fix.

Truth101

Banned
Aeana said:
Slime Morimori 2 sold 43,995 its first week. The first one sold 67,797 its first week.

By any chance if you have the numbers in front of you what were the install bases of the DS/GBA at the time?

Boken said:
Mario 3D Land only did so well because there aren't any other games to buy on the 3DS.

Oh, really. I thought it was because it was Mario.

You learn something new everyday.

beril

Nuclear Muffin said:
Man I missed this chart. I wonder if NSMB DS could possibly do the impossible and surpass the original SMB...

It has sold about 300k in the last year so it would need a bit over 2 more years at the same pace. Who knows maybe it's possible as long as the 3DS doesn't get a proper 2D Mario game anytime soon. Nothing seems to be impossible for that game

[Nintex] said:
Great sales for Mario now to see if NoE and NOA can repeat this.

I somehow need to find the money to buy not only Mario 3D Land but Zelda -- they're both out here a week on Friday, on the same day.

Zelda alone would have been enough to consign me to an entire weekend in my dressing gown and underpants, not moving from the TV to wash, shit, sleep or shave --- but two of them releasing together? I'm doomed. I'll probably have a seizure and be found in a gaming induced coma, or I'll just fail to turn into work and get sacked.

iceatcs said:
More unlikely too. I don't think Sony have shipped more than 200K hardware on the launch week before.
Well, aren't there rumors that Sony is shipping around 500k to 600k Vitas for launch? If this is the case I see no issue in UC-GS selling over 100k.

Erethian

Lord_Byron28 said:

DS game sold 46k in its first week.

Edit: Going by Media Create numbers.

Pocks

Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold 339,901 units with an install base of 3,745,527, or a 9.1% attach rate on week 1. [Source]

Super Mario 3D Land sold 343,492 units with an install base of 2,356,915, or a 14.6% attach rate on week 1.

Doomed, I tell you.

EDIT: Bad numbers on Wii install base, check posts below for correct figures.

Michan said:
Yeah, that could work to boost sales of both games. Other publishers do it quite frequently in Japan. But it could also cause more brand confusion with 3DS/DS, which is something Nintendo has been working hard to fix.

The contrast between the two games may actually do some good for the 3DS hardware sales (while the similarities between the two might help SM3DL)

Michan

Pocks said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold 337,569 units with an install base of 3,745,527, or a 9% attach rate on week 1.

Super Mario 3D Land sold 343,492 units with an install base of 2,356,915, or a 14.6% attach rate.

Doomed, I tell you.
NSMB has an 18.8% total attach rate, and SM3DL will probably have exceeded that by next week. Hmm!

beril

Lord_Byron28 said:

The other ones had great legs though and sold nicely during the holidays (both of them were released right before the holidays just like this one). The LTDs are 346,190 and 293,970 respectively. Hopefully this one will be able to repeat that pattern

Turrican3

Pocks said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold 339,901 units with an install base of 3,745,527, or a 9.1% attach rate on week 1. [Source]
Your own source says Wii was at 10 millions LTD, so the attach rate for Galaxy 2 was even lower.

Obviously Mario on the 3ds sold well. No 3ds game charted for weeks and come on it's mario!

I'm surprised by BF3/UC3 numbers tho.

Truth101

Banned
Pocks said:

Super Mario 3D Land sold 343,492 units with an install base of 2,356,915, or a 14.6% attach rate on week 1.

Doomed, I tell you.

Not that this means anything but if the 3DS install base was also 10,324,614 we could have theoretically seen 3D Land open at 1,507,393 units.

Depends all on appeal and how front-loaded 3D Land will be, but I predict good things in its future.

Edit

Fixed

This is a meaningless comparison though as it is all theoretical, and initial sell through of Mario titles usually pales in comparison to their legs.

Edit 2:

I'm just trying to show that sometimes comparing attach rates doesn't mean much.

Pocks said:

Doomed, I tell you.

Huh? Where did you get that Wii LTD from? From what I see it's LTD was actually 10.324.614 by the time of SMG 2's release (making the attach rate around 3.3%)

What was the attach rate of the other 3D Marios (and NSMB DS) on their respective launch days? Anyone have those figures to hand?

Not that it really means much in the grand scheme of things (the attach rate is a largely useless metric at the end of the day), just a curiosity.

NIghtWolf

pharmboy044 said:
Well, aren't there rumors that Sony is shipping around 500k to 600k Vitas for launch? If this is the case I see no issue in UC-GS selling over 100k.

It's just that it only took 7m ps3 sold for U3 to sell 125k. That's why is hard to think that U:GA will do all that good for the vita, specially competing with other titles that japs may get instead of it.

Boken

Banned
Pocks said:

Doomed, I tell you.
See, this is such a misleading use of statistics. SMG2 came out during a time of a highly established install base, while SM3DL came out relatively early in the 3DS lifespan and is the first major original game. Of course it'd have a high attatch rate!

Spiegel

Pocks said:

Doomed, I tell you.

Super Mario Sunshine - 280,610
Gamecube - 1,453,421
>19% attach rate

Doomed?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pocks said:

Doomed, I tell you.
Where did you find that number?

Mrbob

Yeah, this attach rate talk is the worst spin I've seen in a long time.

If you are happy with a high SM3DLand attach rant, then you must not want the 3DS to sell a lot of hardware overall.

Wii sold 1/3 of what the DS did in Japan.

Michan

NIghtWolf said:
It's just that it only took 7m ps3 sold for U3 to sell 125k. That's why is hard to think that U:GA will do all that good for the vita, specially competing with other titles
Launch window games are exceptions to this method of thinking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mrbob said:
3DS is ballin' now in Japan.

I'm most shocked at the Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 numbers though. Both around 125k? Wow.
152,712 for Battlefield 3 actually.

The 360 version did pretty well and is a few spots lower.

BurntPork

Banned
Boken said:
See, this is such a misleading use of statistics. SMG2 came out during a time of a highly established install base, while SM3DL came out relatively early in the 3DS lifespan and is the first major original game. Of course it'd have a high attatch rate!
Okay. Now look at the actual numbers...

Pocks

Nuclear Muffin said:
Huh? Where did you get that Wii LTD from? From what I see it's LTD was actually 10.324.614 by the time of SMG 2's release (making the attach rate around 0.03%)

What was the attach rate of the other 3D Marios (and NSMB DS) on their respective launch days? Anyone have those figures to hand?

Hah, looks like I butchered them somehow. Here are the correct figures:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold 339,901 units with an install base of 10,324,614, or a 3.29% attach rate on week 1. [Source]

Top Bottom