• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2013 (Nov 04 - Nov 10)

DaBoss

Sakurai buys VITA TV and God Eater 2, lol

BZM_NqeCcAImTwo.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/401734295879827456
Why does he buy 2 of everything? I remember he bought 2 of both Pokemon X and Y. 2 Monster Hunter 4 3DS XLs.

I wish I can buy 2 of everything. :(

If there were really that much interest in the product in Japan, I think we would see stronger pre-orders by now. It seems generally pretty ho-hum, and I don't think S-E is expecting that much either. It's interesting for example, that on Comgnet, pre-orders for Drag-on Dragoon 3 are ahead of FFX, both being Dec S-E titles.

I don't think there's much evidence so far for the "FFX was really popular on the PS2, therefore a HD Remaster will definitely sell much much more" logic. The package itself is a really good deal since it includes two games though. Personally I expect it to sell in the same 200-300k range as KH did, because I think that's the same hardcore S-E audience who are interested in buying a re-release. They're a dying breed in Japan these days.
Maybe you are right :(

I just want it to sell well so that we can get FF XII HD on VITA/PS3/PS4 as promised by Kitase :/

duckroll

I just want it to sell well so that we can get FF XII HD on VITA/PS3/PS4 as promised by Kitase :/

I don't think Japan is the main market to look at for that though. I think HD Remasters tend to do pretty well for big popular games in the US for example. If they do decide to make a FFXII HD release, it won't be for Japan alone. I think on a whole FFX HD will do pretty well worldwide. I'm just not convinced that it can sell 500k in Japan.

Fisico

God Eater characters in Smash Bros. confirmed!

They've also had a presence on a Nintendo console, recently...thank you, Proejct X Zone

I was about to tell you that the characters need to have appeared in a game on a Nintendo console then I read your spoiler.

I don't think that's enough to fit the criteria though lol

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm with duckroll with FFX, 500k seems really too much to me for an HD remaster in Japan. Will do well if making KH's numbers already. As for outselling LR, I know that's a dream of many haters, but it's not going to happen in any case :D

As for LR selling 500-600k I call that realistic, and even if less than XIII-2 I think that is expected by S-E themselves, and a multiple cause of FF//Console Market//Ending Gen shrinking. If Type-0 ends up selling more than LR, it could ve more to do with LR being on PS3 than not Type-0 being perceived as more interesting of LR by the jap community of players imho.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Type-0 ends up selling more than LR, it could ve more to do with LR being on PS3 than not Type-0 being perceived as more interesting of LR by the jap community of players imho.

Famitsu
[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.10.27} (¥7.770) - 717.490
[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.12.06} (¥2.940) - 31.864

Media Create
[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.10.27} (¥7.770) - 777.821
[PSP] Final Fantasy Type-0 (Ultimate Hits) <RPG> (Square Enix) {2012.12.06} (¥2.940) - 10.216 (until the end of 2012)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Haha, so Type-0 probably will outsell Lightning Returns. How marvelous. And that wasn't worth bringing over in any capacity to PSP or as an HD Remaster to PSVITA or PS3, no sir. Let the west simply endure FFXIII games. Praise be that we got Realm Reborn to wash an entire generation of shit out of our mouths.

Fabula Nova Crystallis was so completely poisoned by XIII so that all the other passengers alongside it jumped out to have hopes of not being associated with it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Haha, so Type-0 probably will outsell Lightning Returns. How marvelous. And that wasn't worth bringing over in any capacity to PSP or as an HD Remaster to PSVITA or PS3, no sir. Let the west simply endure FFXIII games. Praise be that we got Realm Reborn to wash an entire generation of shit out of our mouths.

Fabula Nova Crystallis was so completely poisoned by XIII so that all the other passengers alongside it jumped out to have hopes of not being associated with it.

LR has been developed in one year and half reusing some assets. Type-0 took 3+ yrs to develop, assets new, change of platform ect ~ I'm pretty sure LR will make more profits than Type-0 in Japan only even if ends up selling less. But should be selling more or less in the same range.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
LR has been developed in one year and half reusing some assets. Type-0 took 3+ yrs to develop, assets new, change of platform ect ~ I'm pretty sure LR will make more profits than Type-0 in Japan only even if ends up selling less. But should be selling more or less in the same range.

I'm sure LR will sell okay, but I think even you can see that Lightning and her continual trotting out has damaged the brand. Sometimes profits aren't all that matter when you're playing the long game, and Type-0 would have gone a long way with combating people's assumption that FF = SHIT these days because not everyones going to dive into an MMO timesink.

Mario007

Type-0 realistically was in development for about 2 years max. Tabata publically stated that after the announcement he went on to make Crisis Core, then 3rd Birthday and then Type-0.

MechaX

I'm sure LR will sell okay, but I think even you can see that Lightning and her continual trotting out has damaged the brand.

Personally, this is something I wish I could pick the brains of the Japanese audience to see; I'm curious on how they view the Lightning focus at this point (and how hyped/indifferent they are to LR).

duckroll

Type-0 realistically was in development for about 2 years max. Tabata publically stated that after the announcement he went on to make Crisis Core, then 3rd Birthday and then Type-0.

It's not really that simple. He has detailed the development in many interviews. It's much more than 2 years, and they went through a lot of changes from mobile to PSP. Development was also active even while he was directing The 3rd Birthday. It was a really big project.

The game had actual gameplay footage in pretty much every single trailer they put out for it year after year from the mobile announcement up until it was released. It's pretty interesting to see the scope and UI evolve over the years actually.

Road

That comparison isn't looking good for Gran Turismo 6...what's happening there? :O

GT6 is gonna bomba everywhere, not just in Japan.

LRFFXIII will sell about the same as DCFFVII: 365k first week / 513k LTD.

FFX/X-2 HD will be lucky to sell LTD more than that first week.

Sales of FF compilations of ports/remakes:

{1999-03-11} [PS1] Final Fantasy Collection (FFIV / FFV / FFVI) - 209,369 / 412,148
{2004-07-29} [GBA] Final Fantasy I + II: Dawn of Souls - 136,634 / 277,688
{2002-10-31} [PS1] Final Fantasy I + II: Premium Package - 35,091 / 43,970
{2011-03-24} [PSP] Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection - 101,513 / 198,630
{2012-07-05} [PSP] Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection [Ultimate Hits] - ? / 23,165

Code:
PS3 games over 500k [U]combining multiple releases:[/U]

1,965,000 Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {2009-12-17} (Final Fantasy XIII / Final Fantasy XIII [Ultimate Hits])
1,026,000 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) {2009-03-05} (Resident Evil 5 / Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition / Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition [PlayStation 3 the Best / Move Special Pack] / Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition / Resident Evil: Revival Selection Twin Pack)
  980,000 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) {2008-06-12} (Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots / Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [PlayStation 3 the Best] / Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection (Metal Gear Solid / Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty HD Edition / Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD Edition / Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots / Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition / Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions))
  891,000 Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) {2011-12-15} (Final Fantasy XIII-2 / Final Fantasy XIII-2 Digital Content Selection / Final Fantasy XIII-2 [Ultimate Hits])
  848,000 Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) {2012-10-04} (Resident Evil 6 / Resident Evil 6 Special Package )
  826,000 One Piece: Pirate Warriors (Bandai Namco) {2012-03-01} 
  730,000 Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {2010-11-25} (Gran Turismo 5 / Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition)
  713,000 Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (SCE) {2007-07-26} (Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds / Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [PlayStation 3 the Best] / Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [PlayStation 3 the Best 2nd Print])
  671,000 Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) {2012-05-24} (Dragon's Dogma / Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen )
  668,000 Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) {2011-09-08} 
  644,000 Yakuza 4 (SEGA) {2010-03-18} (Yakuza 4 / Yakuza 4 [PlayStation 3 the Best] / Yakuza 4 [PlayStation 3 the Best 2nd Print])
  625,000 Yakuza 3 (SEGA) {2009-02-26} (Yakuza 3 / Yakuza 3 [PlayStation 3 the Best] / Yakuza 3 [PlayStation 3 the Best 2nd Print])
  589,000 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (Koei) {2010-03-25} (Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage / Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage - International / Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage - International [Koei Tecmo the Best])
  582,000 Yakuza 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono (SEGA) {2012-12-06} 
  534,000 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (SCE) {2007-12-13} (Gran Turismo 5: Prologue / Gran Turismo 5: Prologue - Spec III)
  533,000 Call of Duty: Black Ops II [all editions] (Square Enix) {2012-11-22} (Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Subtitled Edition / Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition / Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Dubbed Edition [Special Price])
  522,000 Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. (Bandai Namco) {2011-12-01} (Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. / Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. [PlayStation 3 the Best])
  500,000 Grand Theft Auto V  (Take-Two) {2013-10-10}

Code:
PS3 games over 500k [U]without combining[/U] multiple releases:

1,905,979 Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) {2009-12-17}
  881,486 Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) {2011-12-15}
  837,727 Resident Evil 6 (Capcom) {2012-10-04}
  825,860 One Piece: Pirate Warriors (Bandai Namco) {2012-03-01}
  706,461 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) {2008-06-12}
  668,336 Tales of Xillia (Bandai Namco) {2011-09-08}
  600,860 Gran Turismo 5 (SCE) {2010-11-25}
  582,257 Yakuza 5: Yume, Kanaeshi Mono (SEGA) {2012-12-06}
  557,771 Yakuza 4 (SEGA) {2010-03-18}
  553,229 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage (Koei) {2010-03-25}
  520,564 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) {2009-03-05}
  514,723 Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme VS. (Bandai Namco) {2011-12-01}
  509,306 Yakuza 3 (SEGA) {2009-02-26}
  500,309 Grand Theft Auto V (Take-Two) {2013-10-10}

AmanoBuff

I want XII too bad as well. :/

I don't think Japan is the main market to look at for that though. I think HD Remasters tend to do pretty well for big popular games in the US for example. If they do decide to make a FFXII HD release, it won't be for Japan alone. I think on a whole FFX HD will do pretty well worldwide. I'm just not convinced that it can sell 500k in Japan.

FFX PSV isn't gonna be anywhere close to what LR sells. I doubt FFX PS3+PSV will be close to LR.

I would tend to agree, especially since the Japanese already played the 'complete' versions of these games, but I think the Vita versions might provide a nice sales boost to this collection. Vita has a high attach rate (even for multiplat games) and this would be not only the first time these games have been remastered, but also available on a portable.

I don't know about other trackers, but at least on Amazon the PS3 version ranks 18 and has been on the first 20 ever since it was announced. (Vita versions are more tricky, since the Twin Pack seems to be perennially out of stock after the first week it was announced.)

Personally, I think these games could do 400k+ LTD in Japan and much better overseas, where these complete versions were never released.

It's not really that simple. He has detailed the development in many interviews. It's much more than 2 years, and they went through a lot of changes from mobile to PSP. Development was also active even while he was directing The 3rd Birthday. It was a really big project.

The game had actual gameplay footage in pretty much every single trailer they put out for it year after year from the mobile announcement up until it was released. It's pretty interesting to see the scope and UI evolve over the years actually.

Honest question: Type-0, a PSP game, was more expensive to develop and distribute than LR, a PS3 game? I always thought PSP games were much cheaper to develop than PS3 games.

Pie and Beans

Honest question: Type-0, a PSP game, was more expensive to develop and distribute than LR, a PS3 game? I always thought PSP games were much cheaper to develop than PS3 games.

Square Enix was such a mess this generation that its hard to look at the gestation years of FNC in any lens of reality. Type-0 was a smartphone game for smartphones that didnt exist (they do now hence the... new version of it coming there) and then a PSP title, and then also change forms a fair bit. It went through the same dev nightmare Versus did but managed to come out the other end and not have its staff dragged and chained to Lightning-sama's feet.

I think thats testament to Tabata managing to knock out really far too many PSP games than I thought possible for the paralysed for 8 years SE. Sure most have their rough edges, but he and his colleagues straight fucking embarrassed the mainline FF devs. So has Yoshi-P with what he managed to wrangle XIV into in such a timeframe.

AmanoBuff

Square Enix was such a mess this generation that its hard to look at the gestation years of FNC in any lens of reality. Type-0 was a smartphone game for smartphones that didnt exist (they do now hence the... new version of it coming there) and then a PSP title, and then also change forms a fair bit. It went through the same dev nightmare Versus did but managed to come out the other end and not have its staff dragged and chained to Lightning-sama's feet.

I think thats testament to Tabata managing to knock out really far too many PSP games than I thought possible for the paralysed for 8 years SE. Sure most have their rough edges, but he and his colleagues straight fucking embarrassed the mainline FF devs. So has Yoshi-P with what he managed to wrangle XIV into in such a timeframe.

So Type-0 development might have been more expensive, but not inherently so. Instead, the game's development cycle was a mess and this might have increased costs. I see.

About the bolded, I couldn't agree more. Tabata-san and Yoshida-san are my favorite SE people right now. If only we could finally get Type-0 here though :/

Code:
671,000 Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) {2012-05-24} (Dragon's Dogma / Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen )

Very nice, it always make me happy to see new IPs doing well on Japan (especially those that are on consoles).

Easily the best RPG I've played this gen so far.

Code:

Very nice, it always make me happy to see new IPs doing well on Japan (especially those that are on consoles).

Easily the best RPG I've played this gen so far.
And yet no PC version to add some extra sales.

Ratrat

Why does he buy 2 of everything? I remember he bought 2 of both Pokemon X and Y. 2 Monster Hunter 4 3DS XLs.

I wish I can buy 2 of everything. :(
In the tweet he says it was an accident and that he sometimes mistakenly buys two copies of the same game online.

Just want to mention, in this week's episode of "Oh that's who made this!", Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life was developed by... Hand!

You of course know them for Chocobo's Dungeon on Wii and the DS Kingdom Hearts games, among other things. As well as recently Fantasy Life (including Link).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hand is developed Fantasy Life? I thought Brown Brown did.... Or did Hand just worked on the expansion? But interesting that they worked on Magic Castle.

Hand is developed Fantasy Life? I thought Brown Brown did.... Or did Hand just worked on the expansion? But interesting that they worked on Magic Castle.

Both did. And Brownies (BB successor) took over BB for Link after BB became 1UP.

I wish companies were more open with who works on their games, doesn't matter if the game is crap or the dev(s) behind it are crap, just tell us.

So many games keep devs a secret or you have to look all over to find out, it's annoying, just have their logo on the back cover or at least the intro of the game.

For instance I'm pretty sure Hand does not appear in the intro to the recent Puyo games (have to check, and do they in Fantasy Life?), but Hand confirms they did it on their site, funny they didn't add Magic Castle; I found it in the intro to the game on YouTube.

I'm curious how Gaf thinks the PS4 is going to perform in Japan. Sony's first-party output is almost irrelevant and the big Japanese franchises aren't gonna come out every month. Not sure how niche games are supposed to carry the system.

Better than PS3 and WiiU for sure. How much better god knows.

GT6 is gonna bomba everywhere, not just in Japan.

Lol no. It will sell like 5 million alone just in Europe.
I am expecting a notable decline since its the second iteration on ps3. 7-8 million LTD instead of 10-11 million for GT5 but we'll see how big its legs are.

duckroll

We don't know if Type-0 cost more than LR. It might or might not be the case depending on a number of factors. A game being developed for 5 years doesn't always cost more than a game which took a year to develop. Cost also depends on how many people worked on something in a given period of time, and what type of people they are. Development is much more complex than that.

Is it likely that Type-0 as an overall project cost more to develop and market than LR? Considering the scope, it's possible. Being a portable game or a console game doesn't really matter. There's no magical tax deduction from making a portable game, but in general because portable titles tend to be smaller in scale, they are cheaper to produce. If a large scale portable game is made, the cost would go up. There are lots of really cheap console games too. So the comparison is meaningless.

I'm not convinced at all that the PS4 will perform better than the PS3 in Japan right now. It should perform better than the PS3 did at launch, but that's a really poor comparison. I expect it to perform significantly worse than the PS3 is doing right now, for most of 2014.

Sandfox

Lol no. It will sell like 5 million alone just in Europe.
I am expecting a notable decline since its the second iteration on ps3. 7-8 million LTD instead of 10-11 million for GT5 but we'll see how big its legs are.

I think the PS4 doing better than the PS3 depends on how big of an affect handheld and mobile has in the upcoming years.

We don't know if Type-0 cost more than LR. It might or might not be the case depending on a number of factors. A game being developed for 5 years doesn't always cost more than a game which took a year to develop. Cost also depends on how many people worked on something in a given period of time, and what type of people they are. Development is much more complex than that.

Is it likely that Type-0 as an overall project cost more to develop and market than LR? Considering the scope, it's possible. Being a portable game or a console game doesn't really matter. There's no magical tax deduction from making a portable game, but in general because portable titles tend to be smaller in scale, they are cheaper to produce. If a large scale portable game is made, the cost would go up. There are lots of really cheap console games too. So the comparison is meaningless.

I'm not convinced at all that the PS4 will perform better than the PS3 in Japan right now. It should perform better than the PS3 did at launch, but that's a really poor comparison. I expect it to perform significantly worse than the PS3 is doing right now, for most of 2014.

Well I mean't at launch :p. I really have no idea anymore how its going to do after that. You think its going to do less than 12k for the most of 2014?

I think the PS4 doing better than the PS3 depends on how big of an affect handheld and mobile has in the upcoming years.

I think a bigger factor is the amount of big releases it will have in its first year? Right now its at a decent price, has little to no competition and third parties are on board. The only thing missing are lots of games but tbf its too early to know the entire 2014 lineup so we will just have to wait.

Sandfox

Well I mean't at launch :p. I really have no idea anymore how its going to do after that. You think its going to do less than 12k for the most of 2014?

I think a bigger factor is the amount of big releases it will have in its first year? Right now its at a decent price, has little to no competition and third parties are on board. The only thing missing are lots of games but tbf its too early to know the entire 2014 lineup so we will just have to wait.

The PS4 doesn't really have any big name exclusives coming in 2014 unless FFXV makes it and the console still has to compete against mobile and handhelds.

Seems like everything is in decline these days.

3DS tracking 6m+ behind the DS so far.

Wii U not even @ 1/4 what the Wii was doing (Wii was at 4m+ by this point).

Vita selling like shit.

Previous million sellers struggling to do 300k (PES, Dynasty warriors etc)

I'm not sure if the PS4 can change anything tbh.

duckroll

Hardware-wise I think it's a harder call. I hope it won't do that badly, but it's also not unfathomable after a decent launch. In terms of software though, I expect it to be really pretty dire for most of 2014, yes. There looks to be a severe lack of exclusives for the Japanese audience, almost everything worthwhile is also cross-gen, and honestly seeing how Japanese publishers have only found a decent foothold on the console market again with the PS3 in recent years, I don't blame them for wanting to hang on instead of jumping to a new platform any time soon.

Looking at the situation from an objective angle, I simply don't think that the Japanese market is really ready or interested in another generation for another 1-2 years.

Top Bottom