• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 46, 2011 (Nov 14 - Nov 20)

Wow, that FF13-2 shipment is ridiculously low!

I was expecting 1.5 million, but now I expect that it'll get through that initial shipment and never see a 2nd one.

The beginning of the end for the series?

I was expecting 1.5 million, but now I expect that it'll get through that initial shipment and never see a 2nd one.

I seem to have heard this before.

After the release of every Final Fantasy Game since..........FF7? Probably some times before that as well that I don't remember.

I seem to have heard this before.

After the release of every Final Fantasy Game since..........FF7? Probably some times before that as well that I don't remember.

FF8 grew from FF7...

Well, the series has been on a decline ever since FF8 but this (FF13-2) would be the most dramatic drop that the series (not counting the MMO games for obvious reasons) has ever seen if those shipment numbers are real.

FF8 grew from FF7...

Well, the series has been on a decline ever since FF8 but this (FF13-2) would be the most dramatic drop that the series (not counting the MMO games for obvious reasons) has ever seen if those shipment numbers are real.

Considering the more-negative-than-usual reception for the latest Final Fantasy, FFXIII, I think the sales for that game were pretty impressive, honestly. Not sure if it declined--I guess maybe--but still impressive.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
However

{2011.03.08}

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and the future stars: Project Mirai (SEGA)
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)

{2011.03.xx}

[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs (Tecmo Koei)

What is this PlayStationesque month on my Nintendo handled?!?

Takao

Banned
FF8 grew from FF7...

13-2 isn't a main series game. It's a spinoff/sequel in the realm of X-2, so comparing it to the sales of the main series games isn't fair.

Laguna

Banned
However

{2011.03.08}

[3DS] Hatsune Miku and the future stars: Project Mirai (SEGA)
[3DS] Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (Konami)

{2011.03.xx}

[3DS] Dynasty Warriors Vs (Tecmo Koei)

What is this PlayStationesque month on my Nintendo handled?!?

Nintendo efforts are starting to bearing fruits. With Tekken, Ace Combat and other franchises typically known as "Playstation" games and Resident Evil Revelation next January for 3DS (with Monster Hunter this December) they really managed to offer a diverse lineup with games that normally pushed some Sony systems.

RaijinFY

13-2 isn't a main series game. It's a spinoff/sequel in the realm of X-2, so comparing it to the sales of the main series games isn't fair.

lol what?? Damage control ftl, X-2 managed to do almost 2m.
That shipment number is absolutely terrible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo efforts are starting to bearing fruits. With Tekken, Ace Combat and other franchises typically known as "Playstation" games and Resident Evil Revelation next January for 3DS (with Monster Hunter this December) they really managed to offer a diverse lineup with games that normally pushed some Sony systems.

You know what's the thing that surprise me?
That we're talking very well about 3DS lineup for next months, with good reasons, but we all know it's incomplete since we still don't have release dates for Nintendo games, apart from Shinren Camera (2012.01.12). We already know that Kid Icarus, Luigi and AC should all be out in Q1.

X-2 sold in line with the rest of the main series and outsold FF12 in Japan (where's that series chart when you need it? Anyone have it to hand?), so how is FF13-2 not comparable?

Agreed. That's where the 3DS' largest avenue for growth over its predecessor will come from IMO. The likes of SM3DL, Mario Kart 7, Tomodachi Collection 2 and Nintendo's new IPs coming next year will enable the 3DS to sell to the DS' expanded audience but these games will enable them to also sell to the PSP audience. So the 3DS will eventually take up the DS and the PSP audience.

I think people are arguing that XIII-2 will sell a percentage of XIII lower than the one of X-2 with respect to X (way lower, probably half of what XIII did).

Takao

Banned
I think people are arguing that XIII-2 will sell a percentage of XIII lower than the one of X-2 with respect to X (way lower, probably half of what XIII did).

Well that's not entirely surprising. By far, the feedback for XIII was it's the worst mainline Final Fantasy in a very long time. Square's going to have to rebuild trust.

Well that's not entirely surprising. By far, the feedback for XIII was it's the worst mainline Final Fantasy in a very long time. Square's going to have to rebuild trust.

Yeah, and that's why people were saying the series is in a bad situation commercially-wise. Its sales have declined over time by a large extent (while Dragon Quest, for example, increased or stayed at very high levels), and operations like spin-offs or sequels are no more a safe bet as they were some years ago. X-2 was truly a success for being a sequel, XIII-2 will be pretty inoffensive both domestically and internationally speaking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
lol what?? Damage control ftl, X-2 managed to do almost 2m.
That shipment number is absolutely terrible.

Given that this is being done by the main team in lieu of Final Fantasy XV, we should probably have notably higher expectations for it than X -> X-2 regardless.

RaijinFY

Indeed, but they acted as if... Let's hope for them XIII-2 at least get decent reviews because looks like the sales for sure arent going to look stellar.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't see what's surprising of FFXIII-2's first shipment numbers, we always thought it would sell (worldwide too) less than the main entry XIII. In Japan this last one sold 1,9 ml – so I guess expecting 1ml + a second shipment of 200-300k is reasonable for its sequel. X-2 too sold ALOT less than X, so why XIII-2 should sell differently this time?
Overall I think XIII-2 can manage to sell 3 ml ww. And as I said in the past, if what I think is right, Square is more interested in selling every two years a new FF for 2,5-3ml worldwide than 5ml every six years like before. It's simply more profitable and you can mantain an audience interested for long time while also applying feedback at faster pace.

Final Fantasy X 2.325.215
Final Fantasy X-2 1.960.937

This. The difference was not so stressed, probably a higher difference worldwide but still great numbers (and this topic concerns Japanese sales). Anyway, the big fear is that the shipment seems pretty high according to preorders indicators.

duckroll

Given that this is being done by the main team in lieu of Final Fantasy XV, we should probably have notably higher expectations for it than X -> X-2 regardless.

Why though? FFX-2 was also done by the main team in lieu of releasing either a "real" FFXI, or releasing a FFXII faster. FFX-2 was basically the filler for the main FF release in 2003, 2 years after FFX was released. FFXII was not released until 2006.

Overall I think XIII-2 can manage to sell 3 ml ww. And as I said in the past, if what I think is right, Square is more interested in selling every two years a new FF for 2,5-3ml worldwide than 5ml every six years like before. It's simply more profitable and you can mantain an audience interested for long time while also applying feedback at faster pace.

I don't know whether this is a good strategy or not. Final Fantasy has always been one of the strongest franchise in the industry; a new mainline game in the series every two years will depreciate its value and in any case it won't grant a good start on next-generation consoles, which are approaching quite fast (remember the time spent by Square Enix on jumping on PS3 and 360...).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why though? FFX-2 was also done by the main team in lieu of releasing either a "real" FFXI, or releasing a FFXII faster. FFX-2 was basically the filler for the main FF release in 2003, 2 years after FFX was released. FFXII was not released until 2006.
Hmm, I was thinking that FFXII was originally expected quite a bit sooner than that when they first decided to schedule FFX-2, but I could be wrong.

If it wasn't, I retract my statement.

duckroll

I don't know whether this is a good strategy or not. Final Fantasy has always been one of the strongest franchise in the industry; a new mainline game in the series every two years will depreciate its value and in any case it won't grant a good start on next-generation consoles, which are approaching quite fast (remember the time spent by Square Enix on jumping on PS3 and 360...).

Wut.

FF1 - 1987
FF2 - 1988
FF3 - 1990
FF4 - 1991
FF5 - 1992
FF6 - 1994
FF7 - 1997
FF8 - 1999
FF9 - 2000
FF10 - 2001
FF11 - 2002
FF12 - 2006
FF13 - 2009

I don't see what's surprising of FFXIII-2's first shipment numbers, we always thought it would sell (worldwide too) less than the main entry XIII. In Japan this last one sold 1,9 ml – so I guess expecting 1ml + a second shipment of 200-300k is reasonable for its sequel. X-2 too sold ALOT less than X, so why XIII-2 should sell differently this time?

The surprise is how high the shipment is

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
wow 750k initial shipment for MK7 seems really high.

Not really, since its their biggest release this year and 3DS will sell crazy in December. With Vita being released and the 3DS having high hw sales, they really cant afford stock problems in their system sellers.

You're really the only one here who totally expects FFXIII-2 to bomb and thinks a million shipment is unusually high. Lol.

Bomb outright no, bomb relative to series yes I'd guess about a 600k to 650k launch followed by a typical rpg second week drop and price slashing so it'll sell out its shipment

I could be wrong but speculation is why we're here

duckroll

Bomb outright no, bomb relative to series yes I'd guess about a 600k to 650k launch followed by a typical rpg second week drop and price slashing so it'll sell out its shipment

I could be wrong but speculation is why we're here

Yes, speculation and discussion is what we're here. We also tend to point out highly irregularly predictions, because in such cases someone either sees something that no one else did, or there's a level of delusion going on. The likelihood of a title like FFXIII-2 doing 600-650k is.... extremely low. Just saying.

Yes, speculation and discussion is what we're here. We also tend to point out highly irregularly predictions, because in such cases someone either sees something that no one else did, or there's a level of delusion going on. The likelihood of a title like FFXIII-2 doing 600-650k is.... extremely low. Just saying.

I just see it performing far more like a very very good selling spin off than a bad selling mainline title

WTF is Nintendo smoking with those shipment figures? Mario Kart isn't going to outsell the Wii version, there's no danger of shortages even if they only shipped 600k, All this does is screw over Capcom, assuming Capcom isn't being Capcom with this ridiculous lowball shipment.

.... I don't think so.

Sometimes I'm amazed people forget things like this, I know for a fact some of you were here back in 2009 when this news broke.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
WTF is Nintendo smoking with those shipment figures? Mario Kart isn't going to outsell the Wii version, there's no danger of shortages even if they only shipped 600k, All this does is screw over Capcom, assuming Capcom isn't being Capcom with this ridiculous lowball shipment.

I would say it means, that they wont need another MK7 shipment for at least 10 days and can concentrate on the TriG launch a week later. There wont be a TriG shortage - they cant be THAT stupid.

I would say it means, that they wont need another MK7 shipment for at least 10 days and can concentrate on the TriG launch a week later. There wont be a TriG shortage - they cant be THAT stupid.

Shipment numbers for tri g that float around seem to change every week, first it was 600k then 300 now 400, come launch they'll probably only ship 12 copies

duckroll

Which for the purposes of my argument I'm putting in the mainline sales category, I'd say 13-2 will sell closer to type 0 (better than but still far far closer)

What purpose? FFXIII-2 is exactly like FFX-2. Both in design, in scope, and in release pattern. If you are expecting FFXIII-2 to be a massive flop, just say so, and in a few weeks we'll see if you had the amazing foresight to see that Japan has indeed rejected the game. I don't see why you are denying that you expect the game to be a total flop, while putting out numbers like that and claiming that the game is different from what is. The game is what it is, and that carries with it certain expectations. If it does not even come close to those expectations, it is a failure. It's pretty simple logic.

I still think FFXIII-2 will get pass a million even with that low first shipment .
Still SE this gen have been really poor all you have to do is look at there PS1 and PS2 output to see how bad it was on console.

What purpose? FFXIII-2 is exactly like FFX-2. Both in design, in scope, and in release pattern. If you are expecting FFXIII-2 to be a massive flop, just say so, and in a few weeks we'll see if you had the amazing foresight to see that Japan has indeed rejected the game. I don't see why you are denying that you expect the game to be a total flop, while putting out numbers like that and claiming that the game is different from what is. The game is what it is, and that carries with it certain expectations. If it does not even come close to those expectations, it is a failure. It's pretty simple logic.

Relative to the series I already said I it will bomb, that being said it'll still end up being the 2nd biggest selling ps3 game

Erethian

After seeing how games like Tales of Xillia did, I'm actually a bit more bullish on what XIII-2 will do.

Plus I think the talk of XIII destroying trust in the series or whatnot is at hyperbolic levels these days.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Relative to the series I already said I it will bomb, that being said it'll still end up being the 2nd biggest selling ps3 game

Wait I don't get it; what do you mean with "it will bomb relative to the series"? You consider it a bomb if it sells less than other chapters or if it will sell less than what Square Enix itself probably predicts to? (1ml/1,3ml lifetime in Japan).

Wait I don't get it; what do you mean with "it will bomb relative to the series"? You consider it a bomb if it sells less than other chapters or if it will sell less than what Square Enix itself probably predicts to? (1ml/1,3ml lifetime in Japan).

Bomb is a highly subjective term, what I mean is that it will sell far worse than 13 did

Bomb is a highly subjective term, what I mean is that it will sell far worse than 13 did

Well it depends on what you define as much worse. It can sell a lot worse than 13 and still sell more than 650K opening week.

Like i said above tales of Xillia opened to like 525K so it's really hard to see a FF game selling only slightly better.

cvxfreak

Bic Bomba Bin:

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD: ¥1980
Monster Hunter Pokapoka Airu G: ~¥1700
AKB 48 Guam Edition: ¥6900
Ridge Racer 3D: ¥2970
Phantasy Star Portable 2: ¥980
Sengoku Basara Chronicle Heroes: ¥980
Otomedius X: ¥1980
Gachitora PSP: ¥1980

http://img.ly/aYgX

Ni no Kuni PS3 is totally going in there by the end of January.

Top Bottom