• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2013 (Nov 25 - Dec 01)

Zalman

I didn't realize it at the time, but Sony is skipping the Holiday season in Japan by launching in Feb. I don't know what's up with that, if its just arrogance, or the new reality that the Japanese market is simply no longer a priority but that seems a bit weird.
It's just a matter of supply. They're going to own the Japanese home console market regardless. Focusing on the rest of the world is a smart idea.

DaBoss

I didn't realize it at the time, but Sony is skipping the Holiday season in Japan by launching in Feb. I don't know what's up with that, if its just arrogance, or the new reality that the Japanese market is simply no longer a priority but that seems a bit weird.
There was basically no games that appealed to the Japanese audience. The console market is not as big as it is in other territories, which allows them to allocate the supply that would have been there for the Japanese launch to other territories. There is no arrogance, it just wasn't smart to launch the PS4 with its launch games in Japan.

extralite

Maybe Sony executives drank too much. Instead of putting those resources on development games for Vita , they turn handheld to console. It'll be just collector item like PSPGo I hope,
The PSPGo didn't play UMDs which cut its life very short. I don't see the Vita TV fading out as quickly.

Maybe another 10k.
If true that would mean MH3G HD sold less than 10k digitally. 3DW digital LTD sales are between NL and MH3GHD.

Limited supply, lack of Japanese software and prioritizing more important markets. I don't really get how that could be interpreted as arrogance; it's simply reality that they don't really face any competition for the demographic they primarily target from Microsoft there and Nintendo struggling with the Wii U probably doesn't hurt the case for launching elsewhere first. There's really nothing particularly weird about it.

mstevens

I'm happy that the Wii U is selling a little more.. Such a fun system.

Hopefully the Vita will have another big boost here soon.

NSider

So the 3DS got a significant bump thanks to Hatsune Miku, but why did the Wii U increase? Mario came out the week before and no other games came out for it. It can't be just because of the season, since Vita and PS3 didn't get the same increase over last week (Vita actually dropped).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 60% drop in the second week actually good for 3D Mario?

Tripon

Limited supply, lack of Japanese software and prioritizing more important markets. I don't really get how that could be interpreted as arrogance; it's simply reality that they don't really face any competition for the demographic they primarily target from Microsoft there and Nintendo struggling with the Wii U probably doesn't hurt the case for launching elsewhere first. There's really nothing particularly weird about it.

There was basically no games that appealed to the Japanese audience. The console market is not as big as it is in other territories, which allows them to allocate the supply that would have been there for the Japanese launch to other territories. There is no arrogance, it just wasn't smart to launch the PS4 with its launch games.

Maybe I'm overstating how important holiday season is to the Japanese market, but Sony is seemly willing to skip one just to launch in everywhere but Japan. That seems a bit arrogant to me. We're talking about the rest of Asia getting the PS4 before Japan does. It's the right business decision, but if I'm a Japanese consumer, I'd be mad at that decision...

And based on what we've seen they are likely near irrelevant. Maybe another 10k. In the west, this might be a point of contention, but digital sales unless we hear otherwise are not really worth stressing about at least until we get the new download charts.
Yes, but in terms of net profits, how much money represents a digital sale compared to a retail one?
I mean, it's sold at the same price, but every single penny (minus taxes) goes directly to Nintendo, so in terms of pure benefits 10k may be like 15k-20k units sold at retail.
Still not a lot, but that makes Nintendo a bit less doomed than what they would be without the digital copies being sold.

Thorgal

Sony understands that Japan is a safe area where Xbox holds no sway.

The war is being waged in the UK and U.S where they need all the units they can get .

Shengar

The PSPGo didn't play UMDs which cut its life very short. I don't see the Vita TV fading out as quickly.

Should be marketed at third world country where UMDs hard to find.But considering how rampant the piracy is in these countries, it still a lost cause.
I really love my PSP Go though, thing is small and the most portable handheld I ever own. It can practically slip in to any pocket of my pants.

Zalman

Holy crap, I totally forgot the 2DS isn't even out in Japan. They're still selling >100K without it. That's crazy.

Tripon

So the 3DS got a significant bump thanks to Hatsune Miku, but why did the Wii U increase? Mario came out the week before and no other games came out for it. It can't be just because of the season, since Vita and PS3 didn't get the same increase over last week (Vita actually dropped).

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 60% drop in the second week actually good for 3D Mario?

Seems like the Wii Party U bundle is still selling relatively well. Famitsu has it 11th, while its nowhere to be found on Media Create. I don't think Media Create counts software sales from bundles while Famitsu does. Correct me if I'm wrong.

07./11. [WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 29.530 / 177.008 <60-80%> (+32%)

Exile20

If the OUYA can get some sort of shelf space in major retailers, the VITA TV can at least get promoted as a PS4 extender in the house.

That would make more sense to treat it as a PS4 accessory. Sony instead attached it to the Vita name which made it doomed.

Maybe I'm overstating how important holiday season is to the Japanese market, but Sony is seemly willing to skip one just to launch in everywhere but Japan. That seems a bit arrogant to me. We're talking about the rest of Asia getting the PS4 before Japan does. It's the right business decision, but if I'm a Japanese consumer, I'd be mad at that decision...
Microsoft is actually more competitive in other Asian markets, iirc. Even then I doubt those markets will see significant shipments.

While I doubt the system will do amazingly, Japan as a single country market would require significantly more units at launch than those other Asian markets. It's a "safe" market as already noted. And consequently it's lower priority than major markets, requiring large shipments, that are more competitive and smaller markets that can be served something of a paper launch.

The only way Sony managed to sell 2.1M to NA, Europe and Australasia was because they had that many to send there. Add a Japanese launch into the mix and you're looking at only being able to sell something like 1.6M in those other more important markets.

Hmm, I think so; but still better price launching in February in a shrunken console market v. ridiculous price launching in December way back when. I'm expecting pretty rapid collapse though even with a good start, but it would be nice if it didn't collapse to Wii U levels, as I still want my Japanese third party console games...

I also don't know whether, like in the US and Europe, the Japanese are really after new shiny graphics, they seem relatively satisfied with what we currently have.

Yeah new and shiny graphics aren't nearly as much a pull in Japan. The way I'm looking at it now, all the major Japanese developers are involved in the platform in some significant way (MGS, FF, KH, Tales, Yakuza etc) so we're looking at a PS3 like schedule post launch drought, and along with the usual licensed stuff from Bamco, the PS4 should maintain a regular baseline that gets it to at least match the PS3's LTD, in my opinion. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but at least the PS4 shouldn't have the Vita's main problem that stems from the lack of big selling software, or the WiiU's fundamental lack of third party support.

drspeedy

TV: 42.172 > 7.868 > 5.391 (55,431)

GO: 29.109 > 13.992 > 6.427 (49,528)

Wow

That's just not fair... Go was the best PSP model ever created, the 'all digital' part scared people off, but damn... it's still my #1 handheld, right up there with the amazing GB Micro. Even Vita's OLED screen doesn't beat out the Go's form factor (for me, to each his own).

I really want a Vita TV... C'mon NA launch already

Indeed. They should rebrand it if they want to bring it to the West.

Make it a bundle. I'm in

Anth0ny

Holy crap @ that Wii U bump. Honestly surprised about that.

I'm guessing that will last through the holidays, at least.

test_account

XP-39C²
Capcom wanted more money, and 3DS gave them that opportunity, while also allowing them to reuse old assets. It was a logical business decision.

Sony should not have taken Capcom's support for granted.
How do you mean with "wanting more money"? That Nintendo moneyhatted Capcom?

Reusing old assets its possible on every platform by the way, so that is no hurdle on a more powerful system. Capcom released a "HD" version of both Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

It was much easier then, it is more difficult now.

That is not a good excuse for not doing it or failing to do it, though.

We have no idea what went on behind closed doors, though. It's entirely possible that Sony approached all of those third parties, but that whatever incentives they offered weren't enough to offset the assumed higher ROI from other platforms.

Frodo

Holy crap @ that Wii U bump. Honestly surprised about that.

I'm guessing that will last through the holidays, at least.

And all the naysayers saying it would collapse back to <10k one week after the bundle...

They will all have to wait until January now.

RM8

That's just not fair... Go was the best PSP model ever created, the 'all digital' part scared people off, but damn... it's still my #1 handheld, right up there with the amazing GB Micro. Even Vita's OLED screen doesn't beat out the Go's form factor (for me, to each his own).
I only used a PSP Go once... the d-pad was beyond terrible :S

I think Sony's shrugs on Vita TV not being compatible with a lot of software didn't give anyone much confidence to buy it. Right now, it's a system that sells to Vita owners that can already play any Vita game they want but want a docked system just in case they need it, which...that doesn't seem like a huge market.

extralite

TV: 42.172 > 7.868 > 5.391 (55,431)

GO: 29.109 > 13.992 > 6.427 (49,528)

In percentages it tracks closer to the Vita than to the GO:

Code:
Vita:
324,859	100,00%
72,479	22,31%
42,648	13,13%

Vita TV:	
42172	100,00%
7868	18,66%
5391	12,78%

PSP GO:
29109	100,00%
13992	48,07%
6427	22,08%
Difference is, Vita sales picked up again. PSP GO's didn't.

This is quite the drastic drop. Quoting from the other thread.
Yet without it Vita family wouldn't have outsold 3DS family in GE2 week and Vita family wouldn't have outsold Wii U this week. It is making a difference.

Itsuki

I thought Super Robot Wars OG: Infinite Battle was going to sell more and it's good to see that GE2 is still selling.

I was wondering the same thing. Unless i remember completely wrong, wasnt the 3DS "guaranteed" to outsell last year's YTD because of Pokémon and Monster Hunter 4?

We're just now starting the holiday season. That guarantee prediction will come true, and I would not be surprised if the 3DS hits, or gets close to, 5 million YTD before year end

test_account

XP-39C²
We're just now starting the holiday season. That guarantee prediction will come true, and I would not be surprised if the 3DS hits, or gets close to, 5 million YTD before year end
Keep in mind that the 3DS also had a quite strong holiday season last year. These numbers (YTD) do no include what the 3DS sold last holiday. But we'll see. If it doesnt sell more, at least the numbers wont be super far away.

Keep in mind that the 3DS also had a quite strong holiday season last year. These numbers (YTD) do no include what the 3DS sold last holiday. But we'll see. If it doesnt sell more, at least the numbers wont be super far away.

oh whoops. well you're right, it will be a neck and neck finish.

LOCK

Great week for everything except the Vita. Sony really needs to advertise to the non-traditional gaming crowd.

^
I'm not sure about that. Only 4 weeks left. 3DS will need to sell an avg of 340k in the next 4 weeks in order to outsell its last year YTD (5.5m).

guek

Banned
To me it screams that Sony recognizes how atrophied the console market is in Japan at the moment. Clearly is not a priority

We have no idea what went on behind closed doors, though. It's entirely possible that Sony approached all of those third parties, but that whatever incentives they offered weren't enough to offset the assumed higher ROI from other platforms.

If they are in a position where nothing they can offer to third parties can make it worth it to develop high-effort titles on the Vita, then take the thing out of the oven because it's done.

I think Sony's shrugs on Vita TV not being compatible with a lot of software didn't give anyone much confidence to buy it. Right now, it's a system that sells to Vita owners that can already play any Vita game they want but want a docked system just in case they need it, which...that doesn't seem like a huge market.

I'm lucky that the games I want the most are Vita TV compatible, I worry they might not bring it to the west because Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Wipeout aren't compatible(which seem to be the most western oriented games).

Just give it to me already, god damn Sony. I want to play Ys, Persona 4, and Senran Kagura on it!

Riki

If they are in a position where nothing they can offer to third parties can make it worth it to develop high-effort titles on the Vita, then take the thing out of the oven because it's done.
It never should have been put in. Really don't know what Sony was thinking with the Vita. At least support it yourself.

Top Bottom