• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2014 (Dec 01 - Dec 07)

I wouldn't expect 'better graphics' to be a selling point for a title in Japan.
It's not really just the graphics in a technical sense. Xrd is pretty much the standard people will hold 3D fighting models to from now on. They nailed it from an artistic perspective too. Aside from Sol (which only a few take issues with) ASW did a wonderful job of remaking them faithfully. To see it bombing this bad is just surprising.

FluxWaveZ

It's not really just the graphics in a technical sense. Xrd is pretty much the standard people will hold 3D fighting models to from now on. They nailed it from an artistic perspective too. Aside from Sol (which only a few take issues with) ASW did a wonderful job of remaking them faithfully. To see it bombing this bad is just surprising.

Whatever it is, I guess it wasn't surprising for ASW. Unless this was an isolated report:
Tsutaya's Report

Guilty Gear Xrd for PS3 faced stock problems.

Pretty sure I said it wouldn't do as hot at least once in FGW once we knew the full roster.
You can't ignore the fandom side and expect success.
I've seen people say it on FGW, but less than 40k? I think there are degrees of "bad" numbers people could have thought. This isn't catastrophic, but it still surprises me.

emb

Surprised to see both Wii U and PS4 so low, the former with its biggest game launching. Seems like the holiday would be giving both a solid bump. 3DS is killing it though. I guess I just underestimate how dead consoles are there.

Smash Bros. Wii U
USA: 490.000 (first few days)
Japan: 244.747 (first week)
France: 200.000 (expected until the end of the year)
UK: 31.000 (minimum first week)

Total: 966.000

Should be a million seller by now. Maybe it breaks 2.000.000 worldwide by the end of the year.

Somnid

The 2.5-3 year mark is probably a good time to refresh the hardware. So I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about that next year for Wii U. Now that the software has filled in getting people a bit more excited for hardware is probably going to have the biggest impact for Nintendo.

Mory Dunz

Smash Bros. Wii U
USA: 490.000 (first few days)
Japan: 244.747 (first week)
France: 200.000 (expected until the end of the year)
UK: 31.000 (minimum first week)

Total: 966.000

Should be a million seller by now. Maybe it breaks 2.000.000 worldwide by the end of the year.

Hm, I wonder if Smash 3DS/U can top Brawl.
I'm....not so sure.

Smash 3DS alone is close to reaching Smash Brawl LTD numbers. So in Japan, yes.

Worldwide? I'm confident it can beat it now with 2 platforms supporting the franchise.

I honestly want to know what the budget for both 3DS and Wii U were combined in relation to Brawl. Not that Nintendo ever releases that stuff, but it'd be cool to see.

Mory Dunz

Smash 3DS alone is close to reaching Smash Brawl LTD numbers. So in Japan, yes.

Worldwide? I'm confident it can beat it now with 2 platforms supporting the franchise.
Yeah I meant worldwide. Yeah, it might be able to. I wonder how high the 3DS version will go.

I honestly want to know what the budget for both 3DS and Wii U were combined in relation to Brawl. Not that Nintendo ever releases that stuff, but it'd be cool to see.

Um...probably higher I guess. It's 2 games. And it's 6 years later. I feel like I know what you're implying.

koutoru

I have a feeling that Guilty Gear will do much better in the west, it's sad that the Japanese sales are so low though.

FluxWaveZ

I have a feeling that Guilty Gear will do much better in the west.

You think so? It seems like it's barely been marketed here and people know little about it (with the OT having cross-play in its title to spread the word), if they even know it's coming out at all. The PS4 version will most likely do much better, though, I can see that.

Crema

Captain Toad looking good to get to 100k eventually. Keep it up little guy!

Bomba of the year has to go to Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori! It has now had three full weeks on the market and has dropped completely out of the top 30. That means it still hasn't sold 20% of it's initial shipment of ~100k.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Pretty sure I said it wouldn't do as hot at least once in FGW once we knew the full roster.
You can't ignore the fandom side and expect success.

Wait, what's the problem with GGXrd's roster?

crinale

Was really hoping Level 5 would do an HD Yokai Watch for Wii U before they milk it into nonexistence.

They're like releasing their own "Yokai Pad" with NFC support next year (I'm assuming it really would be heavily customized Android pad).

Edit: My bad it doesn't support NFC but uses QR codes instead.

Wait, what's the problem with GGXrd's roster?
Guilty Gear and Mahvel have something in common. It has taken a very very long time to get a full on sequel and people become attached to characters after 5-10 years of waiting. If you don't have mainstream numbers thanks to marketing and brand appeal like Mahvel does you might actually take a hit on your already small numbers if people decide to wait on the sidelines.

It's a theory.

sörine

Banned
Xrd isn't so terrible going by past GG/BB numbers (Chronophantasma's 80k was a bit of an outlier) but it's not good either. Especially the PS4 version, ASW's 360 Blazblue debuts were usually higher even.

Vinnk

24./27. [3DS] Sumikko Gurashi: Koko ga Ochitsukundesu <ETC> (Nippon Columbia) {2014.11.20} (¥5.184) - 6.970 / 22.149 <40-60%> (+43%)

Sleeper hit! I called it ;)

My students were writing letters to santa today in class and 2 different girls are asking for this. (Which is sadly the same number asking for a WiiU). One girl had an eraser with the characters on it. Everyone else wants Yokai Watch.

Mpl90

That one on its own seems on track to be the best selling Smash game in the region.

Going by Famitsu numbers (since they include digital download retail codes + they track digital sales)

08./09. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 21.588 / 1.841.754 <80-100%> (As of Week 49)
+ 112,041 (Digital sales as of October)
=

sörine

Banned
Captain Toad looking good to get to 100k eventually. Keep it up little guy!

Bomba of the year has to go to Taiko no Tatsujin: Tokumori! It has now had three full weeks on the market and has dropped completely out of the top 30. That means it still hasn't sold 20% of it's initial shipment of ~100k.
It's not looking good for Taiko but I'm still hesitant to call it after 3 weeks and before the holiday. It's just not how this series works.

L~A

Going by Famitsu numbers (since they include digital download retail codes + they track digital sales)

08./09. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS <FTG> (Nintendo) {2014.09.13} (¥5.616) - 21.588 / 1.841.754 <80-100%> (As of Week 49)
+ 112,041 (Digital sales as of October)
=

Nintendo already confirmed Smash is over 2m including digital sales, actually.

Mpl90

sörine;142664194 said:
Xrd isn't so terrible going by past GG/BB numbers (Chronophantasma's 80k was a bit of an outlier) but it's not good either. Especially the PS4 version, ASW's 360 Blazblue debuts were usually higher even.

Just checked to get a confirmation of sorts (Famitsu, by Japanltdrank)

[360] BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger {2009.06.25} - 22,841 / 32,874
[360] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift {2010.07.01} - 15,845 / 22,165
[360] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend {2011.12.17} - 6,042 / 8,531

...It's correct for 2 of the 3 BlazBlue released on 360. Just for a complete picture, here's how BlazBlue performed on PS3.

[PS3] BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma {2013.10.24} - 85,285 / 116,182
[PS3] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend {2011.12.17} - 31,979 / 68,850
[PS3] BlazBlue: Continuum Shift {2010.07.01} - 45,954 / 66,402
[PS3] BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger {2009.06.25} - 35,522 / 59,977

Yamauchi

Banned
I keep wanting home consoles to do well but I don't know why. When I look at my own playing habits, I am exclusively a handheld player.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
03./00. [3DS] Derby Stallion Gold <SLG> (Kadokawa Games) {2014.12.04} (¥6.264) - 73.616 / NEW

Better than expected debut. Predictions were about 50k units. It should reach 150k easily.

Because I don't want to start seeing posts again of how irrelevant YSO predictions are, I gave upper and down limits, there aren't absolute numbers.

There is big range at YSO but these are more or less their predictions for next week's top 3

1. SSB for Wii U (wk1) >= 1/2 * worst Media Create predictor (wk1)
2. Pokemon OR/AS (wk3) <= Pokemon HG/SS (wk3)
3. Derby Stalion Gold (wk1) >= 1/3 * Derby Stalion DS (wk1)

Famitsu numbers

For what it worths most predictions had Wii U at 20-30k for this week.

Micken

Banned
Okay what am I not getting here? Am I misreading the charts or something?

How is the Wii U doubling in sales since last week and beating all the other consoles so terrible? *scratches head*

How is the Wii U doubling in sales since last week and beating all the other consoles so terrible? *scratches head*
It's not a comparative appraisal. The PS4 being in the shitter doesn't make the Wii U sales good. Nor do the XBO's make everybody else's sales fantastic.

This is the last release of considerable significance* to the Japanese market that the system will have. Or at least the last it will have in a while.

It's also the most wonderful time of the year. So part of this upward momentum may be attributable to Nintendo's typical holiday boosts.

And yet, it's down considerably over last year.

*ymmv, I suppose. Kirby can be pretty big.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Seems like Media Create is not reliable anymore

Seems like it's time you start accepting Media Create is the superior tracker.

Well, the good thing with 3DS this week is that if Dengeki is close to Media Create again, the 2-3 sales-agers with their own databases that are in denial for the real superior tracker with join the Media Create train. Famitsu has done and still does so many mistakes it's becoming funny.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay what am I not getting here? Am I misreading the charts or something?

It's still a really bad number despite all that.

Like if the Wii U sold 5 units, the PS4 sold 1, and all others sold 0, this wouldn't mean the Wii U did well.

Top Bottom