• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 49, 2015 (Nov 30 - Dec 06)

SarusGray

I asked the same thing above, but was 50k the break even point or the point where it would have been deemed enough sales to warrant a sequel ?

Maybe they're willing to make a sequel to a game that juste barely break even though, but it would be odd.

That's what we're all wondering. They seem happy about it though.

duckroll

The way it was phrased in Japanese suggests it is the minimum the game "needed to sell" in general. So I would interpret it as the point where the project is not a failure.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
After 4 weeks

total: 368.000
retail: 310.582
digital: ~58.000
digital/retail: ~19%

After 22 weeks

total: 905.000
retail: 737.478
digital: ~168.000
digital/retail: ~23%

Splatoon was over 900k since Oct 25. The million mark has happened long time ago. Retail only can't be over 1 million this week. Maybe they don't count bundled sales?

Fisico

The way it was phrased in Japanese suggests it is the minimum the game "needed to sell" in general. So I would interpret it as the point where the project is not a failure.

Thanks for the clarification.
Clearly some people translating aren't good enough to get what was the exact meaning of this sentence.

SarusGray

That'd be odd to discuss and put out there in a stock holder's meeting but I'll take your word for it! I have no knowledge of the Japanese language. I only appreciate their games.

duckroll

That'd be odd to discuss and put out there in a stock holder's meeting but I'll take your word for it! I have no knowledge of the Japanese language. I only appreciate their games.

Why would it be odd when the question was about whether the game would get a sequel? Someone asked and they said that was the baseline and they sold 3x that, ie it is successful, pls wait for more info, etc.

SarusGray

Why would it be odd when the question was about whether the game would get a sequel? Someone asked and they said that was the baseline and they sold 3x that, ie it is successful, pls wait for more info, etc.

It doesn't sound successful to me LOL I'm weird though and think these games have crazy budgets. I'm hoping it did fine.

L~A

Splatoon was over 900k since Oct 25. The million mark has happened long time ago. Retail only can't be over 1 million this week. Maybe they don't count bundled sales?

Maybe they simply delayed the announcement to have it coincide with the live announcement?

Here's the Japanese if anyone wants to double-check:

その『Splatoon』ですが、ついに日本国内における販売本数(セルスルー)が100万本を突破いたしました※

※自社調べ。パッケージ版、ダウンロード版、本体セットの販売本数を合算した本数です。

So retail + digital + bundles.

Glad to see Xanadu do so well. Looks like Asia and even overseas is playing a bit part for even niche devs now.

Yup. The budget is remarkably low.

but I remember I saw some CM on trains, something that happens not so often regarding Vita games
so they invested some money in marketing, good for them that they got a good response from the consumers

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 81,294
Wii U 47,890
PS4 38,497
Vita 35,116
New3DS 19,454
3DS 8,549
3DS LL 3,531
PS3 2,434
Vita TV 793
Xbox One 609

SG0: 85k
MHX: 192k / 2m+
Splatoon: 51k
Yo-kai: 52k
Super Mario Maker: 48k

L~A

Just noticed: 32k for Mario & Luigi... not bad, but not enough for that Day 1 shipment unfortunately (as hiska-kun said the other day).

Kid Ying

Wiiu officially sold more this year than the last with two weeks of spare time. All thanks to splatoon.

Amiibo collection also got out of the top 30 in famitsu

viHuGi

Banned
Media Create:

New3DS LL 81,294
Wii U 47,890
PS4 38,497
Vita 35,116
New3DS 19,454
3DS 8,549
3DS LL 3,531
PS3 2,434
Vita TV 793
Xbox One 609

SG0: 85k
MHX: 192k / 2m+
Splatoon: 51k
Yo-kai: 52k
Super Mario Maker: 48k

Wii U is killing it on Japan and 3DS jesus!

Top Bottom