• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 5, 2016 (Feb 01 - Feb 07)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It just never occurred to me that Sega would list a digital title as "shipped", what a weird way of saying that instead of just "purchases", but then I guess you wouldn't be able to create the 1 million number for press...

Every company I know lists digital as shipped.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Of course those things can happen.

The Vita of all devices had shortages in the US at one point too (long after launch).

Retailers don't want to stock a lot of a low selling console-> manufacturer produces low volumes/keeps low volumes of stock in warehouses-> better than anticipated (how paltry the total may be) sales/ poor planning fuck things up.

Vita shortages happened right when they launched the Slim over here, bundled with Borderlands 2. It lasted about eight months where stores would get in a few units every other month or so. It was long after launch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's going to be especially bad if a localization is announced way too late in typical Sega fashion. Hell, the VC1 remaster is coming four months later in the West despite the game already being localized and the announcement didn't even come until 1 week before Japan's release of the game, which likely means that lack of inclusion of the Azure demo means more that Sega West doesn't have the privilege of operating in advance when it comes to making decisions regarding Sega Japan's output ; poor global coordination seems to be the culprit rather than Sega West making wise decisions based on content presentation.

Oh, I don't think the lack of the game demo is Sega West's decision to note.

My guess is that Sega Japan was assuming Valkyria was irrelevant in the West at this point, and was just going to release a PC port of the original to sell 20-50K for some "free" revenue and call it a day.

The PS4 remaster was a dead obvious choice for the West given how it did on the PS3 and PC, but if they weren't planning for releasing Azure in the West, they'd have never planned ahead enough to have localization or voice acting done for an included demo with the remaster overseas.

Fisico

Do you think it's realistic that Valkyria Chronicles sold ~500k in Europe, South America and non-Japan Asia on PS3? I don't. I think it's likelier that the game is maybe at 1.1 or 1.2 million across PC/PS3 and for the press release Sega just went for a full number.

Yeah I noticed that in the topic too, discussed quickly the matter with GhosTrick and basically

Japan : 240k
NPD first month: 77k
NPD April 2009 : 77k+ (we knew that it sold more than first month)
And back when the 1M number was given, Steam Sales : 500k

240+77+83+500 = 900

It basically leaves 100k, for December 2008 January-February-March 2009 in NA and everything from May 2009 and beyond + LTD numbers for EMEA

There's no way it fits and more likely the game is indeed around 1.2M but they just wanted to give a round number after realizing they could combine Steam and PS3 number to do the trick.

Also regarding what said Nirolak about VC2 doing slightly better than VC1 and VC3 slightly better than VC2 I find that statement a bit odd (but mind you it doesn't change your overall point at all).

Valkyria Chronicles 141,589
Valkyria Chronicles [PlayStation 3 the Best] 95,667
Valkyria Chronicles [PlayStation 3 the Best 2nd Print] 5,567

Valkyria Chronicles II 153,487
Valkyria Chronicles II [SEGA the Best] 20,495
Valkyria Chronicles II [SEGA the Best 2nd Print] 4,826

Valkyria Chronicles III 152,659
Valkyria Chronicles III - Extra Edition 17,923

Asides from having stronger first week sales (which is not unsual for the sequel of a new IP which had legs for its first entry), both PSP games ended up selling slightly less than the original VC, and VC3 slightly less than VC2 despite having an extended rerelease and not just a best reprint.

They probably made more money in Japan with the PSP entries than they did with the original VC since VC 2's development was cheaper and VC 3 wasn't even done inhouse and made from a lot of reused assets, but I guess it was still not enough and they expected the IP to grow beyond the 200k range and in that regard VC2 must have been regarded as a failure and VC3 was just bringing extra money while reusing most of what had been done with the previous entry

Still remember this interview from back in 2009

First off, the staff wanted to get out a sequel without too much of a gap. It took about three years to make the original. Even when considering their increased knowhow and base of resources for making the sequel, they'd still have to make improvements, which could increase development time. The anime had just hit, and they wanted to release a new title before it was forgotten.

He adds that he doesn't really have a comeback for those who say, "This is the same Sega that releases a new Yakuza!" (Oh snap?)

The second reason -- and this is something I'm pretty sure he's mentioned in the past -- is that the staff wanted to increase exposure for the series. They conducted surveys of players of the original and found that the game was reaching a higher than expected age group and a male audience of an amazing 95%! In order to continue and expand the series beyond this aging sausage fest, they needed to keep the fans of the original while also bringing in new fans. On the PSP, they would be able to show the game's charms to more people.

To make sure there's no misunderstanding, he adds that fans of the original will still be fully satisfied with the sequel.

This may not necessarily be the end for the Valkyria Chronicles series on PS3. "My personal ideal vision is to develop Valkyria Chronicles on both PSP and PS3. We definitely want to make games on the high end PS3 as well.""

The game didn't strike me as first as one that would reach anime fans, sure it had a few common points and lighthearted moments but was still pretty serious overall, but survey and marketing guys said to go full otaku anime, the VC TV series happened (which was basically the game with a few stupid changes and a worse character-design) it didn't do very well but it was already too late to change what Valkyria Chronicles II was going to be.
The game didn't end up to expand its audience at all, tanked in the west and at this point Sega probably considered it to be dead.
VC3 was only a cheap sequel trying to go back to the original VC formula (more serious and mature tone overall) and attract the current audience to offset the money Sega poured in the the IP trying and failing to make it bigger.

My guess they might be very liberal in their use of sold/enjoyed by games by including the secondhand markets sales or just combing platforms.

Something like that likely yeah

Yakuza Used sales (used+new combined)

055. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega ) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 72.075 / 338.624 (933.153 <56,96%>)

Takao

Banned
If Sega of Japan thought Valkyria was completely irrelevant outside of Japan, Azure would be Shining Resonance 2 on Vita.

Aki-at

Something like that likely yeah

Yakuza Used sales (used+new combined)

055. [PS3] Yakuza 5 # <ADV> (Sega ) {2012.12.06} (¥8.800) - 72.075 / 338.624 (933.153 <56,96%>)

Heh, I recall Yakuza 3 doing similar numbers. Wonder how much the PS2 era Yakuza titles managed in the secondhand market.

If Sega of Japan thought Valkyria was completely irrelevant outside of Japan, Azure would be Shining Resonance 2 on Vita.

Last few Shining games have been poor sellers in Japan, maybe they need something to replace the brand?

Though with 7th Dragon coming state side I fully expect Valkyria Azure to be brought over too.

Takao

Banned
Last few Shining games have been poor sellers in Japan, maybe they need something to replace the brand?

Though with 7th Dragon coming state side I fully expect Valkyria Azure to be brought over too.

It's really only been the last two Shining games that dropped from the Tony Taka heights. One has to wonder how much of that can be blamed on them being exclusives to old hardware:

PS2 : Shining Tears ( SEGA ) { 2004-11-03 } - 66,646 / 104,762
PS2 : Shining Force Neo ( SEGA ) { 2005-03-24 } - 48,606 / 96,013
PS2 : Shining Force EXA ( SEGA ) { 2007-01-18 } - 79,449 / 130,763
PS2 : Shining Wind ( SEGA ) { 2007-05-17 } - 83,250 / 126,561
PS2 : Shining Wind [Playstation 2 the Best] ( SEGA ) { 2008-07-17 } - 520 / 520
NDS : Shining Force Feather ( SEGA ) { 2009-02-19 } - 30,231 / 67,341
PSP : Shining Hearts ( SEGA ) { 2010-12-16 } - 111,140 / 162,885
PSP : Shining Hearts [PSP the Best] ( SEGA ) { 2011-12-22 } - - / 6,185
PSP : Shining Blade ( SEGA ) { 2012-03-15 } - 118,763 / 161,868
PSP : Shining Ark ( SEGA ) { 2013-02-28 } - 65,368 / 104,689
PS3 : Shining Resonance ( SEGA ) { 2014-12-11 } - 70,841 / 105,496
PS3 : Shining Resonance [PlayStation Store] {DL} ( SEGA ) { 2014-12-11 } - - / 3,742

Kaworu

Really interesting discussion about VC. What I've been wondering for a while it's why SEGA doesn't port the PSP games to Steam at least. Assets-wise it's not as easy as porting VC1 but the sales have been stellar and VC2 already has an English translation.

L~A

Looks like GungHo is willing to go all out for Puzzle & Dragons X. From CoroCoro magazine:

- Summer release (I thought this'd be a Golden Week game, but I guess not... as long as it's not 2 days before/after Yo-kai Watch 3, it should be ok). My money is release just before the Summer holidays for kids
- two versions
- TV anime in Summer (so July)
- manga in CoroCoro (from April)

Via: ANN

&#332;kami;195034283 said:
TV ad for Street Fighter V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668Lkl9UUGU

Seem like the started advertisement a week before launch.

Also Dragon Ball Project Fusion got a website update.

http://dbpf.bn-ent.net/

Website for DBF is exactly the same as it was when it launched, actually.

Also, I don't usually make posts like those but... Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival giga-bomba... 999 Yen (+ taxes) at a retailer, right now. 83% off. They really can't get rid of the damn things, now, can they.

That's 500 Yen for each amiibo. Not a bad deal, all things considered. You even get a free game! ;)

Fisico

COMG news

Attack on Titan 22pt (+3)
Street Fighter V 19pt (+2)

definitively they got momentum in Japan !!!!!!!11

Attack on Titan is only for PSV normal SKU.
There's still the collector SKU for PSV and both for PS3 & PS4, combined it could be anywhere between 60pt and 100pt.

No trying to defend the game or anything, it will underperform as we said before, but for people not following the thread regularly it's a relevant info that we should still mention.

Mokubba

So much for an hardware mover. SFV should do incredibly well in the West to reach those 2m target.
I think it would reach 2 million without much fuss but I didn't expect sales Japan to be low.

I'm not the best with COMG numbers but even I know that number is tiny compared to the points for the popular games in Japan.

I thought the game not being in arcades would get some people to get a console and for it to be in line with SFIV's launch numbers.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I think it would reach 2 million without much fuss but I didn't expect sales Japan to be low.

I'm not the best with COMG numbers but even I know that number is tiny compared to the points for the popular games in Japan.

I thought the game not being in arcades would get some people to get a console and for it to be in line with SFIV's launch numbers.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Original SFIV sold less than 200k across PS3 and 360; SF is not a big seller anymore and in general fighting games don't see much sales as in the past.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
There's still the collector SKU for PSV and both for PS3 & PS4, combined it could be anywhere between 60pt and 100pt.

No trying to defend the game or anything, it will underperform as we said before, but for people not following the thread regularly it's a relevant info that we should still mention.

Combined it's likely below 60pt. 6 versions, 3 of them being the very limited prints of Treasure Box and 1 normal PS3 which is overshadowed from the presence of both PS4 and PSV leaves only 2 which could hit "big" preorder numbers.

YSO will give first hints tomorrow for the week of bombs.

So much for an hardware mover. SFV should do incredibly well in the West to reach those 2m target.
Street Fighter has always sold the bulk of its sales outside of Japan, no? I think they'll hit their targets just fine. I see solid legs for it as well with Capcom just adding on to SFV over time.

Scum

That's what I guessed in the previous thread. Glad to have a confirmation.

Here's what most likely happened:

- Wii U has been selling like crap for a while now (since launch, actually), so naturally Nintendo slowed down production
- during the holidays, Nintendo expected the Wii U to sell a certain amount, so they manufactured a certain amount of units for holidays and early 2016.
- thanks to Splatoon and Super Mario Maker, sales were significantly better than expected
- Nintendo was caught unprepared, as seen by the Splatoon bundle selling out even before the end of the holidays
- Nintendo used stock they had for early 2016 during holiday 2015, since holiday period is significantly more important than January/February sales
- since they had already slowed down production, they ended up without enough units to ship > shortages (since you can't really just press a button and get thousands of consoles in a few seconds)

Add to that Nintendo not wanting to manufacture too many units because they don't want to end up with too many unsold units.

I agree it's definitely a bit silly to have Wii U shortages given the system barely sells 10k units outside holidays, but that's how it is.
I was just about to mention something like this. Glad I caught your post. lool
Region free hardware and common architecture next time, eh NCL. :p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
2 million units before March 31, 2016.
That doesn't seem too ambitious to me. Mortal Kombat X did 5 million units in about one additional month.

Now, Mortal Kombat is a notably bigger series at this point, but the key is that at least that many people exist who are willing to buy a more traditional fighting game up front.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
That doesn't seem too ambitious to me. Mortal Kombat X did 5 million units in about one additional month.

Now, Mortal Kombat is a notably bigger series at this point, but the key is that at least that many people exist who are willing to buy a more traditional fighting game up front.

Didn't Mortal Kombat Sold 5 million by end of September 2015?
If so, 6 months...

that's correct, but we could also say that SFV is getting 2 limited editions only available on Capcom store which are already sold-out, and there is also another "limited" edition available on stores (just 4 costumes and alternative cover, pretty useless)

anyway for me the big problem for SFV is the lack of the arcade version and probably people don't see a big difference from SFIV as this one was compared to the old chapters

AoT is AoT, gameplay can be made only in that way, it sold well on 3DS just because at that time it was very popular and the anime was aimed on tv, it's not a question about target or something similar; a new AoT on 3DS could sell now 300k again ?
no way out

Amazon.jp now (15:30 japan time)

1. PS4 500gb black
2. PS4 Attack on Titan
3. PS4 Street Fighter V
4. PS4 Dark Souls 3

5. 3DS AC adapter (ehm..)
6. 2DS Pokemon Yellow bundle
7. PS4 Dragon Quest Builders
8. 3DS Monster Hunter X
9. PS4 Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna
10. PSV Dragon Quest Builders
11. PSV Attack on Titan
12. WiiU Splatoon
13. PSV Kancolle limited
14. Amiibo ika
15. 3DS Mario & Sonic at Olympic 2016
16. 3DS Shin Megami Tensei IV Final
17. PS4 Powerful Pro Baseball 2016
18. PSV Ikenie to Yuki no Setsuna
19. PS4 Naruto Narutimate Storm 4
20. 3DS Youkai Watch Sangokushi

that's correct, but we could also say that SFV is getting 2 limited editions only available on Capcom store which are already sold-out, and there is also another "limited" edition available on stores (just 4 costumes and alternative cover, pretty useless)

anyway for me the big problem for SFV is the lack of the arcade version and probably people don't see a big difference from SFIV as this one was compared to the old chapters

AoT is AoT, gameplay can be made only in that way, it sold well on 3DS just because at that time it was very popular and the anime was aimed on tv, it's not a question about target or something similar; a new AoT on 3DS could sell now 300k again ?
no way out

How much less popular is Attack on Titan now compared to late 2013-early 2014? And compared to late 2014-early 2015 (the expansion sold 100k units so still a good numbers relative to the original version)?

How much less popular is Attack on Titan now compared to late 2013-early 2014? And compared to late 2014-early 2015 (the expansion sold 100k units so still a good numbers relative to the original version)?

Top seller manga 2013 :
1- One Piece - 18,151,599
2- Attack on Titan - 15,933,801
3- Kuroko's Basketball - 8,761,081

Top seller manga 2014 :
1- One Piece : 11,885,957
2- Attack on Titan : 11,728,368
3- Haikyuu! : 8,283,709

Top seller manga 2015 :
1- One Piece : 14,102,521
2- The Seven Deadly Sins : 10,304,112
3- Attack on Titan : 8,778,048

Sandfox

Top seller manga 2013 :

Top seller manga 2014 :

Top seller manga 2015 :

That has more to do with people buying older volumes due to the anime back then and the number of volumes that released at the time so its kinda disingenuous to go by that. If you go by sales by volume the sales are actually increasing and are only beat out by One Piece.

Rather than the series not being as popular, the fans just don't seem to care about this game.

Top seller manga 2013 :

Top seller manga 2014 :

Top seller manga 2015 :

If this is the only way to measure the IP's popularity and how it translated into video game sales, Kuroko, Haikyuu and 7 Deadly Sins should have sold 200k+ units.

-MB-

The WiiU had shortages...?

What were Nintendo doing? Making sure that their console sold worse than it usually is? Geez.

Splatoon keeps trucking though. Nice.

I am assuming they aren't making much new WiiU systems anymore, and are transition into the NX.
S basically leftover stock sold out because of Splatoon/Super Mario Maker and the holidays causing a surge in sales.
And Nintendo likely won't replenish stock fast enough to help the WiiU saleswise in Japan.

If you go by sales by volume the sales are actually increasing and are only beat out by One Piece.

Rakuten chart

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/3/
Jan.11 - #18

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/2/
Jan.18 - #24

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/1/
Jan.24 - #26

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/3/0/
Feb.2 - #79

Comparisons :

Kingdom (vol.41 - 2016/1/19) - #2, #1, #3, #12
One Piece (vol.80 - 2015/12/28) - #3, #3, #2, #11
Kimi ni Todoke (vol.25 - 2015/12/25) - #7, #26, #24, #74
Attack on Titan (vol.18 - 2015/12/9) - #18, #24, #26, #79

The burden of proof is on your behalf since you mentioned popularity as a likely cause of game sales decrease.

I did NOT talked about SALES DECREASING, I talked about DECREASING POPULARITY for the brand called "Attack on Titan" which covers manga, anime, movie and videogames.

So I suppose that as the popularity has slowed down, in the same way related game sales will slow down. Nothing more, nothing less.

Or you really believe that now, actually, February 2016, an AoT game on 3DS could replicate 300k ?

Sandfox

I really want to know what Capcom's expectations for SFV in Japan were/are.

Rakuten chart

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/3/
Jan.11 - #18

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/2/
Jan.18 - #24

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/1/1/
Jan.24 - #26

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/ranking/weekly/001001/#!/3/0/
Feb.2 - #79

Comparisons :

Kingdom (vol.41 - 2016/1/19) - #2, #1, #3, #12
One Piece (vol.80 - 2015/12/28) - #3, #3, #2, #11
Kimi ni Todoke (vol.25 - 2015/12/25) - #7, #26, #24, #74
Attack on Titan (vol.18 - 2015/12/9) - #18, #24, #26, #79

I don't want to continue this because its off topic, but that's a pretty flawed way to look at things for multiple reasons.

test_account

XP-39C²
Some users were expecting SFV to be the next "PS4 hardware mover". Of course, by looking at previous entries, we knew it wasn't going to be. Western performance will be interesting to look at, but it's not in the scope of the topic.
Wonder what they were expecting, maybe it was only 10k or so?

---

Does anyone have any idea what Nintendo will do regarding the price if the rumors about NX is that both handheld and console can play the same game? Not just Nintendo themself, but 3rd parties as well. Looking at the console/handheld multiplatform games now, the handheld version is almost always cheaper despite being the exact same game. Dragon Quest builders is like 2k yen cheaper on Vita compared to the PS4 version. If there is only one SKU that will work on multiple systems, how do they price it?

Fisico

Combined it's likely below 60pt. 6 versions, 3 of them being the very limited prints of Treasure Box and 1 normal PS3 which is overshadowed from the presence of both PS4 and PSV leaves only 2 which could hit "big" preorder numbers.

YSO will give first hints tomorrow for the week of bombs.

I've got no idea about stock for the limited print, but the normal PS4 SKU shouldn't be too far from the PSV SKU (usual split for PS4/PSV multiplat musou sales and all) so both combined should be around 40pts, that leaves 20pts for the remaining 4 SKU which should be more than enough.

Only arguing on details there though, let's wait for YSO :p

Also
[PSV] Attack on Titan 24pt (+2)

Hype increasing for sure 100k fw is now a lock !

Takao

Banned
Dengeki's Bishoujo Game Sales January 2016 (12/28/15 - 01/31/16)

01. [PSV] Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Festa: Houka Kenran (Bandai Namco) - 11,567 / 11,567
02. [PSV] Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni (Marvelous) - 10,119 / 60,798
03. [PSV] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition (Sega) - 8,632 / 21,276
04. [PSV] Miracle Girls Festival (Sega) - 8,426 / 41,779
05. [PS3] TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.8 (Bandai Namco) - 7,867 / 7,867
06. [PSV] MuvLuv Double Pack (5pb.) - 5,154 / 5,154
07. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0 (5pb.) - 5,006 / 47,087
08. [PS4] Sword Art Online: Game Director's Edition (Bandai Namco) - 4,602 / 32,834
09. [PS4] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition (Sega) - 3,656 / 12,556
10. [PS3] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition (Sega) - 3,184 / 10,491
11. [PSV] Angelique Retour (Koei Tecmo) - 2,914 / 15,295
12. [PSV] Omega Labyrinth (D3 Publisher) - 2,769 / 39,009
13. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Blue Board (Bandai Namco) - 2,594 / 15,887
14. [PS4] Steins;Gate 0 (5pb.) - 2,408 / 39,469
15. [PSV] To Love-Ru Trouble: Darkness - True Princess (Furyu) - 2,375 / 25,326
16. [PSV] The Idolm@ster: Must Songs - Red Board (Bandai Namco) - 2,289 / 14,021
17. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Lost Song (Bandai Namco) - 2,239 / 208,612
18. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (Compile Heart) - 2,131 / 27,660
19. [PS4] Koihime Enbu (Yeti) - 2,083 / 2,083
20. [PSV] Criminal Girls 2 (Nippon Ichi Software) - 2,008 / 21,579

I'm not sure 11 should be on this chart.

Top Bottom