• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2011 (Dec 12 - Dec 18)

FFXIII's Japanese sales are fantastic given the fact that it's the PS3 in Japan in 2009. Isn't it the only million seller HD console game?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yes, however, FF has never been DQ.
FFI, III, and V were very DQ-esque, but that's neither here nor there.
What I mean, is that you build an installed based around your game and they grow accustomed to some features in that game. What XII did, was to take confidence out of those installed based.

I got XII, but I was thoroughly disappointed, despite trying 4 times to get into the game. However, I started the series with X (and honestly, enjoyed X-2 much more than XII. Though obviously it was a worse game in most regards, but it was much more in line with what I loved about X)
What I'm saying is that even though XII may have continued alienating people like you, it also attracted new players who were into the MMORPG-esque aspect of it, if you wanna call it that. Right now it seems that the only people buying Final Fantasy games are the people who have liked FF in the past. The kids nowadays are flocking to Monster Hunter and whatever's the hot shit this year.

beril

I never got why XII sold that much either.

I believe earlier FF games weren't much story dependent if I remember correctly, but since post VII were all heavily story dependent as far as I know, I was surprised XII to sell that much and be that well received despite how shitty the story and specially character development were.

It sold that much because it was a Final Fantasy game and the franchise wasn't completely ruined yet. Nearly 80% bought it the first week; they had no idea how crappy the story was. The sales doesn't really tell us much about how much people liket it in this case, only about the prerelease hype (I didn't like it very much but I can see why some people do).

I got XII, but I was thoroughly disappointed, despite trying 4 times to get into the game. However, I started the series with X (and honestly, enjoyed X-2 much more than XII. Though obviously it was a worse game in most regards, but it was much more in line with what I loved about X)

Now, the situation with FF is this:
1. The Post VII fans are disappointed with the series
2. Those who were looking for more exploration, side quest, grinding, etc. has found replacements.

I once asked in the best RPGs you have played thread, for someone to point out a game as epic as FF X. It was an honest question. I believe FF was the series to fill that spot, now it is left.

That's a big problem. You don't start with FFX, with a great story and characters then try to get into FFXII which is more about the battle and gameplay mechanics. Water and oil

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Who requested some PSP's first week?

Famitsu datas

5 [PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE) - 66.079 / 66.079 12/12/04
6 [PSP] Ridge Racers (Namco) - 60.163 / 60.163 12/12/04
28 [PSP] Armored Core: Formula Front (From Software) - 11.210 / 11.210 12/12/04

PSP Debut - 166.074

Remember: PSP had just one day.

FFXIII's Japanese sales are fantastic given the fact that it's the PS3 in Japan in 2009. Isn't it the only million seller HD console game?
I guess RE 5 became so through multiple releases.

FFI, III, and V were very DQ-esque, but that's neither here nor there.
Yes, sorry I didn't mention it again, but in my previous post I pointed out that I believe early FF to be different than post VII.

What I'm saying is that even though XII may have continued alienating people like you, it also attracted new players who were into the MMORPG-esque aspect of it, if you wanna call it that.
I agree. But there are lots of other XII-esque games (DQ being the most obvious one in Japan, Elders Scrolls in the west), but I would argue non or very few X-esque. So,

Emwitus

VITA is obviously a huge reason for the decline on FF, Right? RIGHT? wowzers. But, imo,having sony buyers as a big part of your fanbase and with them seeming transitioning to vita maybe they couldnt buy ff first week. So i'm willing to bet next weeks sales for FF will be higher than usual. #armchairanalystout

Famitsu datas

PSP Debut - 166.074

I did and thank you!

RRs was a beast! Well, comparably.

Famitsu datas

PSP Debut - 166.074

Pretty bad for vita software then

That's a big problem. You don't start with FFX, with a great story and characters then try to get into FFXII which is more about the battle and gameplay mechanics. Water and oil

I started with X and love 12. It also actually has a good story and actual quality writing. It's pretty much what FF should have continued to go. And it's also a perfect example of a game who's subject material has worldwide appeal.

I also like XIII. But this is a sales thread and I don't know anything about sales. So I'm out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I agree. But there are lots of other XII-esque games (DQ being the most obvious one in Japan, Elders Scrolls in the west), but I would argue non or very few X-esque. So,
In what way is Dragon Quest similar to FFXII beyond the fact that monsters bleed numbers from their bodies when you hit them?

It sold that much because it was a Final Fantasy game and the franchise wasn't completely ruined yet. Nearly 80% bought it the first week; they had no idea how crappy the story was. The sales doesn't really tell us much about how much people liket it in this case, only about the prerelease hype (I didn't like it very much but I can see why some people do).

Exactly. And also, I believe a lot of people started the series with VII explosion and the subsequent games (VII, VIII, IX, X) were quite story and character dependent. (A bit unsure about IX though).

Now what with XIII happened, is that they made story AND exploration-adventure sense shitty. I haven't played XIII, but I have heard it is corridor for the first 20 hours or so, and hasn't a good story and specially worse character development.

In what way is Dragon Quest similar to FFXII beyond the fact that monsters bleed numbers from their bodies when you hit them?
DQVIII had a more charming story to be honest. It also was turn based which is quite better than XII battle system.

However, I believe the most similar part is that both are not dependent on story and has lots of side quests (DQ IX had at least)

VITA is obviously a huge reason for the decline on FF, Right? RIGHT? wowzers. But, imo,having sony buyers as a big part of your fanbase and with them seeming transitioning to vita maybe they couldnt buy ff first week. So i'm willing to bet next weeks sales for FF will be higher than usual. #armchairanalystout

I will eat my hat if FFXIII-2 hits 100k next week. I'm guessing ~70k if lucky. These games never have "better legs than usual." I really thought GT5 would hold up well after its 400k start but that thing fell off a cliff.

Go_Ly_Dow

Seriously serious though, Versus is the one title that seems to have everyone excited, even on the press. I think rebranding it to FFXV is the smartest thing Squeenix could do.

Indeed... and if they do consider other platforms for it outside of the PS3 then I think they should aim for Wii-U/Loop launch instead of the 360.

XIII's 360 sales have shown that the core market for FF is on the PS3, XIII-2's 360 Japanese sales are non existent and there's a good chance it could be disastrous in the West.

It could stand out a lot more on new platforms when compared to other launch period games.

Exactly.
The opposite can be seen with the transition between VII and VIII. The former was very well received, it was helped by word of mouth and in fact it sold just the 60% of its LTD in the first week. Then, VIII opened hugely, because people had still the memories on how good VII was.

Thoraxes

Now i'm curious if any RPG outside of MonHun can truly surpass 1 million sales anymore.

For real, the days of selling millions right after launch seem to just be gone over there.

Emwitus

I will eat my hat if FFXIII-2 hits 100k next week. I'm guessing ~70k if lucky. These games never have "better legs than usual." I really thought GT5 would hold up well after its 400k start but that thing fell off a cliff.

LOL. Could be. But lets wait and see? That's absurdly low for an FF game. Or, we could conclude, Japan buyers are alot smarter than western buyers, going by MW numbers of coarse.

Dragon

Banned
DQVIII had a more charming story to be honest. It also was turn based which is quite better than XII battle system.

However, I believe the most similar part is that both are not dependent on story and has lots of side quests (DQ IX had at least)

I didn't like XII's battle system myself but just because DQ's was turn-based doesn't make it automatically better. XII did have a pretty poorly told story though, I never finished the game because of that (yeah make fun of me for that if you want :p).

LOL. Could be. But lets wait and see? That's absurdly low for an FF game. Or, we could conclude, Japan buyers are alot smarter than western buyers, going by MW numbers of coarse.
FYI MW opened better than Skyward Sword, if MW is your metric

I didn't like XII's battle system myself but just because DQ's was turn-based doesn't make it automatically better. XII did have a pretty poorly told story though, I never finished the game because of that (yeah make fun of me for that if you want :p).
I didn't too either, and I had put almost 40 hours in it (20 hours for the first try, and 30 for subsequent tries to get into the game).

However, I believe if they had released the game with another name, and I hadn't expectation from it even before playing the game, I would totally be better with it. I didn't finish Last Remnant, but I enjoyed it more!

Now i'm curious if any RPG outside of MonHun can truly surpass 1 million sales anymore.

For real, the days of selling millions right after launch seem to just be gone over there.

A normal dragon quest will, though it may be some years til we get one

Edit -d'oh forgot pokeymans

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I took a look at some old hw numbers and the only systems that didn't beat their (already out) same generation competitors at launch were PSP and Vita.

Known hw only obviously

Laguna

Banned
haha, lol. OK. But still I believe they could make it happen on HD consoles. I guess anything but PSP would be fine. I suspect they were too high with Crisis Core numbers.

Looking at how Type-0 has some elements from Monster Hunter and God Eater it´s probably due to Monster Hunters 2(G) huge success that lead SQEX think they could produce a similar successful game. In fact Agito(Type-0) and 3rd Birthday were moved from smartphone to PSP months after Monster Hunters huge success despite FF3 beeing more successful with a very smal budget than Crisis Core - they probably really thought they can be as strong as Capcom on PSP.

Mpl90

PSP had a pretty strong week 2 as well iirc, I think Musou and AC!D released then?

Famitsu datas

[PSP] Dynasty Warriors (Koei) - 56.425 / 56.425 16/12/04
[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE) - 31.505 / 97.584 12/12/04
[PSP] Ridge Racers (Namco) - 27.569 / 87.732 12/12/04
[PSP] Metal Gear Acid (Konami) - 24.149 / 24.149 16/12/04
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo (Bandai) - 21.147 / 21.147 16/12/04
[PSP] Doko Demo Issho (SCE) - 18.476 / 18.476 16/12/04

PSP's second week - 81.355 / 247.429

Ah yes, Pokemon and DQ. I completely forgot. I think Pokemon is just a given, but DQX will be very interesting to watch next, being an MMO and all.

Dragon quest 10 will no way do a million and no one (even s-e) expects it to, that's why I said a normal dragon quest, assuming 11 is normal then I wouldn't expect it for at least 3 but more like 4 years

beril

I guess there's a chance if the 1M shipment rumour is true and it gets an extreme price slash, but then again, didn't FFXIII also hit the bomba bins quickly and still had awful legs?

Famitsu datas

[PSP] Dynasty Warriors (Koei) - 56.425 / 56.425 16/12/04
[PSP] Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCE) - 31.505 / 97.584 12/12/04
[PSP] Ridge Racers (Namco) - 27.569 / 87.732 12/12/04
[PSP] Metal Gear Acid (Konami) - 24.149 / 24.149 16/12/04
[PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo (Bandai) - 21.147 / 21.147 16/12/04
[PSP] Doko Demo Issho (SCE) - 18.476 / 18.476 16/12/04

PSP's second week - 81.355 / 247.429

That is a good week, funny thing is I could easily see next week no vita games at all go the top 20

I guess there's a chance if the 1M shipment rumour is true and it gets an extreme price slash, but then again, didn't FFXIII also hit the bomba bins quickly and still had awful legs?

No matter what they slash the price to there'll always be 2nd hand ones even cheaper still

ffsaleszgo8d.png

Ouch...

Looking at how Type-0 has some elements from Monster Hunter and God Eater it´s probably due to Monster Hunters 2(G) huge success that lead SQEX think they could produce a similar successful game. In fact Agito(Type-0) and 3rd Birthday were moved from smartphone to PSP months after Monster Hunters huge success desüite FF3 beeing more successful with a very smal budget - they probably really thought they can be as strong as Capcom on PSP.
Well, it doesn't have social features MH, I am most certainly sure MH wouldn't sell even half of what it does if it wasn't for local multi-player.

Ah yes, Pokemon and DQ. I completely forgot. I think Pokemon is just a given, but DQX will be very interesting to watch next, being an MMO and all.

And nothing prevents some software house to come up with a million seller role-playing game as Inazuma Eleven this generation or Kingdom Hearts the last one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Kags, you might want to note that the total (LTD) numbers there seem to be excluding Ultimate Hits / budget rereleases. This would help some more than others. Because SE is pretty aggression at re-releasing I think it's worth incorporating those figures. XIII-2 isn't likely to get as much of a boost from those rereleases as, say, X did because it's releasing much later in the generation.

saichi

Hopefully word-of-mouth helps XIII-2 seeing as the PS3 userbase is so much bigger now., from what we're hearing, it really does seem SE fixed a lot of the issues. Also, its sandwiched between some big releases so maybe the drop-off next week wont be so bad.

never understand the "word of mouth" argument for JRPG second week in Japan. In this year, I have heard it applied to (and I remembered) ToX, Type-0, even Niko Kuni and now XIII-2.

So probably only over 200k games sold with Vita? :(

Someone posted earlier in the thread. Software total for VITA this week is 320K+ which is about 1:1 to the hardware.

3DS is such a beast atm and will hit its stride next year. Regardless of ports, when you think about it the system has had a lot of big names in it's first 10 months.

Zelda
Mario
Mario Kart
Star Fox
Street Fighter
Resident Evil
Dead or Alive
Ghost Recon
Rayman
Sonic
Pilot Wings
Monster Hunter
Tales Of
Cave Story
Pokemon
Ridge Racer

really? that is not to mention DOA or Ghost Recon.

I think it is the only non-Nintendo console million-seller this gen.

do you mean "non-Nintendo" "console million-seller" or "non-Nintendo console" "million-seller"? if it's the former, MH Tri qualifies.

EDIT: o shit. complete beaten. even with the same phrase for the question.

I'll join you and eat my socks if it happens.

Mpl90

@saichi: Where this 1:1 ratio come from? The only news about a ratio was from a single retailer who gave also other percentages about how Vita and Memory Cards were selling in its single store.

noobie

Banned
No surprise that FFXIII-2 sales are below Tales game after SE tried to please MS so much... I am not a fan but i do believe that announcing exclusive for PS3 n then back tracking and delaying PS3 release for XBOX release and things like that accumulated n made a sizable impact on poor sale performance..... e.g. MGS 4 even on a smaller install base sold almost similar to previous releases of MGS...

Also SE's releasing just too many games on XBOX in japan surely put them out of mind of the gamers which were mostly on Wii or PS3. although they might have gained a bit of money but the lost fanbase is going to hurt them much much more

Top Bottom