• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2012 (Dec 10 - Dec 16)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
20./19. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) - 13.856 / 2.840.324 (+54%)

What do you think about it, guys?
Will it ever hit the 3mil milestone sooner or later?
How can we finally judge this "sequel experiment"?

Ah. I saw that the other day. That deal is actually sweeter sounding with the 16GB card in there.

Did you get yours from there, and are you in the UK? Did it take long to deliver?

I got the bundle I linked, I live in Germany, with Prime shipping it was there on the second day.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, I'm the one that anticipated this possibility in that discussion, but probably it will happen in the new fiscal year, so slighlty later.
I think it will happen before 31th March 2013. There are many games coming out in March, it would be weird to drop the price after those games has come out in my opinion. But on the other hand, it would mean some more hardware sales at full price if a pricedrop comes later on, so i guess that everything can happen.

Why not ?

What's the reason i go to shop and buy a console ? It interests me and there are a bunch of games i'd like to play
If no games come, what's the reason to buy a system ?

In Japan a solid line-up always matter for sales, and Vita had too many empty weeks this year.

The problems are:
-Vita doesn't have a "bunch of games" to begin with.
-Vita doesn't have a "solid line-up" after Christmas.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think it will happen before 31th March 2013. There are many games coming out in March, it would be weird to drop the price after those games has come out in my opinion. But on the other hand, it would mean some more hardware sales at full price if a pricedrop comes later on, so i guess that everything can happen.

You are right, let's wait and see.
I based my previous comment on Sony's official statement about the price cut (that allowed us to imagine it for the next "year" probably as "fiscal year")

Yes, and research also showed economics have sometimes little to do with business. Theoretical models look nice on paper, don't behave like that in real life.

Example? "Vita is expensive! Memory cards are expensive!"

Answer: You can get Vita + one game + 16GB for 200EUR right now, this is the price of 3DS XL without the game.

That could be perfectly rational for consumers. Say the typical consumer only wants 4 games on the Vita (out or known about) but 10 on the 3DS, then the average cost per Vita game would be about 80 euros, while the average cost per game on the 3DS would be 60 euros (assuming 40 euro game prices). Now let's stretch that further, sure there are 4 games the average consumer wants on the Vita but on a scale of 1-10 for desirability they range from 5 to 7 and average 6. While on the 3DS thanks to Mario, Pokemon, DQ, MH, Animal Crossing, 5 of the games are 10 and the other 5 are similar to the Vita, then the average desirability would be 8. So 10 on average more desirable games for 60 euros or 4 less desirable games for 80 euros.

Sounds pretty rational to me and although of course the numbers are made up, from sales and respective game libraries it looks to me to be roughly accurate in results if not in exact numbers. Either way it's still entirely plausible.

Any stats or you just guessing?

Well in the US it sold pretty badly in November and outside of black friday the sales were even worse than that. It's pretty hard to imagine it having a decent crhistmas. Vita software seems to be non existent and Europe so i doubt things are very different.

Have to wait until sony actually releases some numbers but i think the next time we will get an indication is when sony have to slash their sales forecast yet again.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The problems are:
-Vita doesn't have a "bunch of games" to begin with.
-Vita doesn't have a "solid line-up" after Christmas.

Probably the misunderstanding is just in the definition of:

"good sales"

I think that some people would see as good an average 15/20k per week, that would be a big increase for Vita compared to the recent "normal weeks"; while other people would recognize as good only 50k per week (similar to the normal weeks for 3DS before the XL release, maybe?)

Probably the misunderstanding is just in the definition of:

"good sales"

I think that some people would see as good an average 15/20k per week, that would be a big increase for Vita compared to the recent "normal weeks"; while other people would recognize as good only 50k per week (similar to the normal weeks for 3DS before the XL release, maybe?)

Are 15k-20k units per week enough to incentive developers to support the platform? Are they enough when the direct competitor can pull 4x or 5x units weekly? Are they enough to sustain an healty software environment? Are they enough for Sony to reach the expectations? In my opinion, no.

test_account

XP-39C²
You are right, let's wait and see.
I based my previous comment on Sony's official statement about the price cut (that allowed us to imagine it for the next "year" probably as "fiscal year")
Financially, i guess it can be uncommon to do a price cut that close at the end of the fiscal year, and rather wait until the new fiscal year starts. But since several of games are releasing in March, and especially Soul Sacrifice, i think it would be strange not to drop the price by then. But there is also the possibility of no price cut as well of course :)

Erethian

Financially, i guess it can be uncommon to do a price cut that close at the end of the fiscal year, and rather wait until the new fiscal year starts. But since several of games are releasing in March, and especially Soul Sacrifice, i think it would be strange not to drop the price by then. But there is also the possibility of no price cut as well of course :)

They've already announced pricing for the Soul Sacrifice hardware bundle and it's 29,980 Yen.

The problem is for all 'hardcore' and 'arts' GAF wants to be people here are in LOVE with sales numbers. MC threads are the worst, since they are all about discussing sales numbers.

In other threads people might say things like "I'm happy this game is coming to other platforms, more people will get to experience it", this will never happen in MC thread. People here are out for blood.

No, only a small minority here is out for blood. I've been merely casually lurking these threads, but honestly outside a few, most people posting here have a genuine interest in seeing the industry grow, and merely express dissapointement over slow or underwhelming sales.

SmokyDave

Well in the US it sold pretty badly in November and outside of black friday the sales were even worse than that. It's pretty hard to imagine it having a decent crhistmas. Vita software seems to be non existent and Europe so i doubt things are very different.

Have to wait until sony actually releases some numbers but i think the next time we will get an indication is when sony have to slash their sales forecast yet again.

It's barely beating the Wii-U in the UK ;)

(I'd imagine the sales are bad across the EU).

SmokyDave

Do we actually know for sure what either are selling? That's still a mighty low bar lol. Very interested to see if either of them can turn things around in the west.

Nah, it's mostly guesswork and extrapolation at the moment. I don't think either company are too keen on talking about hard numbers right now.

Vinnk

I come here for the numbers. I check my fanboy preferences at the door. I have no hate for the Vita and have been relatively disappointed by the 3DS. But the trends and numbers don't lie.

It is possible for the Vita to pull a miracle play and have something like Soul Sacrifice become the next Monster Hunter. Maybe the AKB game will go viral in the Otaku community and outperform all expectations leading to a rush on the Vita.

But those are based on hope and faith. Not really what we do in sales threads. It's exploring numbers and patterns. Kinda boring really but we like it. Some of us more than the games themselves. If there is hope for a Vita revival or a credible reason the WiiU is going to tank, say it with numbers and graphs. Not with feeling, hunches or wishes.

I want the Vita to do well. Sales age is boring without a strong challenger. And I really hate the "lol vita is soooooo dead" comments. They add nothing to the conversation at all. Express shock but don't see it as a personal victory for some delusional crusade. Also don't have hurt feelings if its your platform underperforming.

Lots and lots of good threads on Gaf for emotional reactions and hopes and dreams. But let us sales agers look at our boring charts and lists of numbers without all that.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Are 15k-20k units per week enough to incentive developers to support the platform? Are they enough when the direct competitor can pull 4x or 5x units weekly? Are they enough to sustain an healty software environment? Are they enough for Sony to reach the expectations? In my opinion, no.

Well, I don't know. I think that for a portable Sony system capable of obtaining easily PS3 ports selling 20k for week could be enough to continue some kind of support coming to the console.
More importantly, I think that some user here is continuing overlapping the "better sales" statement with the "becoming the market leader" statement just to negate even a slight positive comment about Vita, while other are trying to push the "20k per week" target as a great result.

None of those two positions is right, imho.

They've already announced pricing for the Soul Sacrifice hardware bundle and it's 29,980 Yen.

That's one of the reson I think they'll wait for the next FY to cut the price

QaaQer

If there is hope for a Vita revival or a credible reason the WiiU is going to tank, say it with numbers and graphs. Not with feeling, hunches or wishes.

I want the Vita to do well. Sales age is boring without a strong challenger. And I really hate the "lol vita is soooooo dead" comments. They add nothing to the conversation at all. Express shock but don't see it as a personal victory for some delusional crusade. Also don't have hurt feelings if its your platform underperforming.

qtf

I still can't believe someone would seriously list Muramasa on a list of games for why a platform will be fine. It reeks of either A) trolling B) not knowing anything about Japanese sales and thinking that looks Japanese so it must be a system seller. And the game will be lucky to break 20k. When you say a platform is going to be fine, you have to give a definition of what fine is. When you start having to attack entire groups instead of coming up with a real rational argument, than you know your argument is bad.

Oh and one other thing I get that the lol Vita comments are kind of childish and add nothing to the conversation, but I don't get why videogames are supposed to be treated with some kind of special honor. If a cell phone, laptop, PC hardware maker, etc. had a product that was horribly tanking I feel like people wouldn't be so offended or gleeful about these things.

For perspective, in the weeks between launch (which I'm counting as the first two weeks) and the announcement of the price cut at the end of July 2011, 3DS averaged around 34K/week. And we know what the response was to those sales.

For perspective, in the weeks between launch (which I'm counting as the first two weeks) and the announcement of the price cut at the end of July 2011, 3DS averaged around 34K/week. And we know what the response was to those sales.

You cannot really compare this situation to what we have now - 3DS was at that time first next-gen handheld. Also, today 3DS has much larger game library than what it did have right when it launched.

I think we just need to wait and see how will the new titles fare - esp. AKB PSP vs. Vita. Let's also check if SS will score high.

You cannot really compare this situation to what we have now - 3DS was at that time first next-gen handheld. Also, today 3DS has much larger game library than what it did have right when it launched.

I think we just need to wait and see how will the new titles fare - esp. AKB PSP vs. Vita. Let's also check if SS will score high.

Score high? Also Vita wasn't released into a vacuum and neither was the 3DS. They both had a ton of competition to deal with. The PSP had a much stronger opponent in the original DS and both handhelds flourished, so yes a two handheld system can exist. Customers just aren't interested in Vita.

BadWolf

Score high? Also Vita wasn't released into a vacuum and neither was the 3DS. They both had a ton of competition to deal with. The PSP had a much stronger opponent in the original DS and both handhelds flourished, so yes a two handheld system can exist. Customers just aren't interested in Vita.

Didn't they launch around the same time? And had no smartphones/tablets to deal with?

Didn't they launch around the same time? And had no smartphones/tablets to deal with? The 3DS had the luxury of a head start, which let it correct its fuckups leading up to the launch of its competitor.

I really hope Sony doesn't make this mistake with the PS4.

Didn't they launch around the same time? And had no smartphones/tablets to deal with? The 3DS had the luxury of a head start, which let it correct its fuckups leading up to the launch of its competitor.

We're talking Japan here where smartphones have obviously not had as much of an impact. The 3DS did have a head start. Sony also had the luxury of a late entrance to build up 3rd party support for a year and make sure they didn't repeat Nintendo's mistakes with the 3DS. Instead they made the exact same ones but even worse.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, I felt this discussion would be more suited for this thread.

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy V is coming to mobile as part of the "The Final Fantasy mobile revolution".

OwMei.png

So, given that there is currently a grand total of zero Final Fantasy games released or announced (sans Chocobo, which seems to be canceled) for the 3DS, and the only Vita one is vaporware, this seems to imply notably less focus on traditional handhelds for the series so far.

Dragon Quest as certainly went full stream ahead on the platform, but I feel this absence sticks out like a sore thumb when even console heavy series like Metal Gear and Resident Evil have already shown up.

BadWolf

We're talking Japan here where smartphones have obviously not had as much of an impact. The 3DS did have a head start. Sony also had the luxury of a late entrance to build up 3rd party support for a year and make sure they didn't repeat Nintendo's mistakes with the 3DS. Instead they made the exact same ones but even worse.

Yep, a huge fuck up on their part. They even admitted to it as much, assuming devs would just make games for it.

Still, it didn't have the leeway the 3DS had to make mistakes.

Kenka

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy V is coming to mobile as part of the "The Final Fantasy mobile revolution".

So, given that there is currently a grand total of zero Final Fantasy games released or announced (sans Chocobo, which seems to be canceled) for the 3DS, and the only Vita one is vaporware, this seems to imply notably less focus on traditional handhelds for the series so far.

Dragon Quest as certainly went full stream ahead on the platform, but I feel this absence sticks out like a sore thumb when even console heavy series like Metal Gear and Resident Evil have already shown up.
Niro, decisions taken by S-E have no logical basis.
It's hopeless.

edit: I should say the "S" part of S-E.

This shit again?

Vita has no games people are eager to buy, no games people are willing to buy the console for. So yes, I would say, Vita has no games. In Japan titles like Miku didn't helped to change the sales trend for more the 1 week and in the west neither CoD nor AC, two of the biggest franchises in gaming right now, helped the system.
No games doesn't mean the game shelf is empty, it simply means people are scanning the shelf unable to find something that justifies the purchase.
It might be anectodal but last week I was in a big electronic market here in Berlin and they sold the 3G Vita for 150&#8364;. I had the damn thing already in my hand and just wanted to buy 3 games for it. After finding Gravity Rush I gave up, because I wasn't able to find 2 other games I was even remotely interested in.

OwMei.png

I would give it a little while to see how Square proceeds with things, but a mobile port of FFV I don't think really means much. It's a low cost no risk endeavor. They could just as easily throw FFV SNES on the 3DS VC. Also as much as they don't want to admit it Bravely Default is pretty much final fantasy and a sequel seems to be in the works which I think is a much bigger deal.

Edit: It's also possible that they don't think the returns on a real FF remake on 3DS would be worth with a lot of the FF fanbase being in the west as opposed to DQ which is still a Japan franchise. Still, I don't think it's really a big deal unless it's a real remake and not just a port.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

OwMei.png

Probably it's just the porting of the PSX FFV, so there would still be room for main FF full remade on 3DS/Vita, given also the fact they're going to release the second remake on 3DS soon, so it's not like Square has abandoned the idea of remakes on handhelds.
And I also think we'll see some FF titles on handhelds in the future.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Bravely Default is basically an old school FF XD

Sadist

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy ;)

BadWolf

Probably it's just the porting of the PSX FFV, so there would still be room for main FF full remade on 3DS/Vita, given also the fact they're going to release the second remake on 3DS soon, so it's not like Square has abandoned the idea of remakes on handhelds.
And I also think we'll see some FF titles on handhelds in the future.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Bravely Default is basically an old school FF XD

Think its early to say anything until they are done with FFXIV, seems everything has slowed down to a crawl with them thanks to that game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Once again: can you simply let us know what could be "good sales" in your opinion for:

Vita HW numbers februart-march 13
AKP Vita numbers
Soul sacrifice Vita numbers
Jump crossover Vita numbers
Tales of R Vita numbers
Muramasa Vita numbers
Valhalla Knights Vita numbers

and other incomign titles?
I think that understainding your "fine" definition would be important to go ahead with the discussion.

Top Bottom