• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2012 (Dec 10 - Dec 16)

Even if MH4 was 3DS/Vita, the Vita would still be fucked. The PSP didn't revive just because of MH, the DS was already on its way out and third parties just capitalized on the MH popularity. It isn't likely this would be the case again. The PSP has never sold this badly, with or without MH. Vita is fundamentally fucked, and there's no going back. 14k during the holiday season? Its selling like its a normal week, its gonna be doing 2-5k at this rate next year.

Even if MH4 was 3DS/Vita, the Vita would still be fucked. The PSP didn't revive just because of MH, the DS was already on its way out and third parties just capitalized on the MH popularity. It isn't likely this would be the case again. The PSP has never sold this badly, with or without MH. Vita is fundamentally fucked, and there's no going back. 14k during the holiday season? Its selling like its a normal week, its gonna be doing 2-5k at this rate next year.

Huh?

Can we stop talking about MH on the Vita? Please?

I mean Vita's Q1 line-up looks pretty damn strong Japan (especially March), how about we focus on that instead of wishing for an imaginary MH game?

Relative to Vita's normal lineup right? Because looking at it by itself the lineup

01/24 Japan Demon Gaze
Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece
NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1
NextRev: Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2
Sakura-Sou no Pet na Kanojo
01/31 Japan PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Sengoku Hime 3: Tenka o Kirisaku Hikari to Kage
WRC 3
02/07 Japan San Goku Shi 12
02/14 Japan Silent Hill: Book of Memories
02/21 Japan Ciel Nosurge RE:Incarnation
NextRev: Sharoushi Shiken
02/28 Japan Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Phantasy Star Online 2
Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei
03/07 Japan Soul Sacrifice
Tales of Hearts R
03/14 Japan Steins;Gate
Steins;Gate Double Pack
Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling
03/20 Japan Dead or Alive 5 Plus
One Piece: Kaizoku Musou 2
03/28 Japan Oboro Muramasa
Sei Madou Monogatari

I don't see anything outside of Soul Sacrifice and maybe Tales of Hearts breaking 100k. I don't see all of this bringing Vita to a baseline above 10k and then once all these drop what happens next? One Piece would have been a big catch, but it's also on PS3 where it is going to sell the majority of its copies and is likely not going to match the first game.

Speaking of Wii U, it never ceases to amaze me how badly the Wii fell off a cliff in Japan. It should have been able to sell 15 million easy in Japan maybe even 20 by the end.

test_account

XP-39C²
Someone said that the community on Miiverse is pretty active but who knows.
I wonder if this game benefits from the WiiU game touchpad.

This discussion makes me realize: probably only a few more weeks until the WiiU:pS3 ratio is similar to the Vita:3DS ratio.
It shall be very interesting to see how this holds up in the next year.

We all know Capcom is above stupid business decisions.
Out of curiousity, which stupid decitions have they made in the recent years.

In terms of support, even Nintendo wasn't doing much for it.
I wouldnt say that. I'm not sure how many games Nintendo released, but the overall support on the DS was very strong. The PSP craze started in 2008 sometime. In 2008, the DS saw over 200 releases. In 2009, it also saw over 200 releases. In 2010, it saw about 170 releases. That is about 600 DS games released in 3 years. The DS hardware sales were also very strong in these years. It wasnt until 2011 where the DS was on its way out (seeing about 40 releases and a big drop in hardware sales (also affected by the release of the 3DS)).

test_account

XP-39C²
No PC version of DD, SF x Tekken (the execution not the idea), on disc dlc, QTEvil 6
Thanks for the answer, but i should have specified business decisions, sorry :) I dont know if Dragon's Dogma would have sold a lot on PC. I havnt played SFxTekken or RE6, so i can comment much on that. On disc DLC probably affected the sales very little i think.

I dont know if Dragon's Dogma would have sold a lot on PC.

It would have done decently imo there is a big base of RPG players on PC

They recently downgraded their sales forcast citing RE6 as one of the reasons (the main one being MH delay but they wouldn't bring up RE if it wasn't significant)

Relative to Vita's normal lineup right? Because looking at it by itself the lineup

I don't see anything outside of Soul Sacrifice and maybe Tales of Hearts breaking 100k. I don't see all of this bringing Vita to a baseline above 10k and then once all these drop what happens next? One Piece would have been a big catch, but it's also on PS3 where it is going to sell the majority of its copies and is likely not going to match the first game.

Yeah, that's a pretty poor line-up for a platform that desperately needs games and system sellers.

Michan

Visited Yodobashi Camera's game store in Shinjuku yesterday:

• As expected, lots of activity around PlayStation/Nintendo sections;
• Stock for Paper Mario download cards was gone;
• Animal Crossing still sold out;
• Wii U definitely in stock, but selling like hotcakes – mostly premium sets;
• Increased interest around Pokémon Black 2/White 2.

Also visited National Azabu yesterday:

• Reservations for cooked roasted chickens no longer being accepted;
• Turkeys still in stock.

Sandfox

That's pretty interesting

Does anyone know how much the best selling Paper Mario game in Japan sold?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

shout next time, i was in Shinjuku most of yesterday!

Sagitario

OK... that got me! :D

Turrican3

Out of curiousity, which stupid decitions have they made in the recent years.
Less than stellar Wii support?

For example, I won't even start talking about what they did after RE4 port, despite its really good numbers, because there's already been a ton of discussions about this. :-\

(honestly though, their support as a whole wasn't that bad, but still disappointing nevertheless IMHO)

It always amazes me how Nintendo was able to replicate Animal Crossing craziness.

hongcha

Plentiful amounts of Paper Mario and Animal Crossing can be found at pretty much every store in my corner of Japan (Kansai area). Wii U has been sold out at most places until the past few days, but restocks seem to be selling rather steadily.

Nope. Not to say it did bad because it did fantastic, but there are so many FF / DQ titles which did better than MHP2ndG.
Not really. If you were looking up numbers you might have seen only the 2.5 million from its initial release, but with budget versions added in it's over 4 million. I think FF VII, DQ VII, and DQ IX passed 4 million, but that's it.
PSFan said:
Er, wouldn't the best way to increase Vita sales/interest be to just go to a lot of devs and contract them to make exclusive games based off popular franchises they make? (go to Capcom and get MH and RE, Square and FF and KH, etc) then just price dropping the system or something?
Well yeah, just doing all those mega moves would help.
Hero of Legend said:
As said before, sorta to help move from the MH on Vita discussion, do you think Capcom will/should bring MHG and MH2G to 3DS coated in chocolate covered teeth-rotting MT Framework Mobile goodness?

I think it'd be a good one to tide over in between major MH games for 3DS, like after MH4 but before MH4G, that sort of thing, it should be much easier to get out the door.
Is there really a market for that? It was done on Wii to whet apetites before MH3 released, but in this case you'd have old ports coming in on a system that already has a partially-new (3G) and all-new (4) entry.
Baki said:
The question that remains is why was the MHPortable series abandoned? What happened in those board room meetings between SCEJ and Capcom.
MH was bigger than PSP. Once the portable market leader no longer had hardware incapable of playing the MH series as people knew it, it was probably a lot easier to be convinced by Nintendo suits than Sony suits.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not really. If you were looking up numbers you might have seen only the 2.5 million from its initial release, but with budget versions added in it's over 4 million. I think FF VII, DQ VII, and DQ IX passed 4 million, but that's it.

Oh yeah, if we count them it's indeed one of the best selling titles. I don't know if he were counting the budget re-releases though. If he counted them, then I'm sorry for not understanding him XD

Well, it's the first hand-held one in 6+ years, with a crapton of new stuff to do and buy. Desire was pent up, rather than diminished by waiting.

I know, but that game is sold-out since the launch, and second-hand prices are on average 1500yen higher than the retail price, I mean, it's something that doesn't happen often.

I know, but that game is sold-out since the launch, and second-hand prices are on average 1500yen higher than the retail price, I mean, it's something that doesn't happen often.

Well, that's true. It's selling quicker than WW, after all. Not even Nintendo were expecting that, it seems. It's sales post-New Year's could be insane.

Tangentially, I wonder if Fire Emblem, AC:NL, Luigi's Mansion, and Monster Hunter Ultimate can help boost up 3DS in the West next year.

Well, that's true. It's selling quicker than WW, after all. Not even Nintendo were expecting that, it seems. It's sales post-New Year's could be insane.

Tangentially, I wonder if Fire Emblem, AC:NL, Luigi's Mansion, and Monster Hunter Ultimate can help boost up 3DS in the West next year.

Not likely, but at least they could sustain its sales in a period thart is not particularly well-known for being pro-handheld.

Mpl90

Fire Emblem and MH3Ultimate are too niche to do anything relevant.
Luigi could have a good impact on the platform, but nothing that relevant. On the contrary, Animal Crossing could be very huge for the platform.

Nintendo seems so focused on its mainland compared to other areas....

is (by any chance) the strong yen influencing this focus to try and minimize losses ??

Nintendo seems so focused on its mainland compared to other areas....

is (by any chance) the strong yen influencing this focus to try and minimize losses ??

I assume this is in regard to the EU situation, if so I would think not since the price for the console there is higher than the equivalent price in Japan.

The strong yen thing is a thought I've had. The dollar is in a better state than the Euro so best bet investments there.

However the pound is relatively strong as its being used like the Yen, so obviously the market has a big part in all this as well.

I think Nintendo will focus on consoles in the US and chase some of that handheld good signs in Europe.

Something is going on. I think Nintendo certainly want some profit again. That's their main priority right now.

MH Vita is unlikely, but there's still a chance. I've said this before, but there is something going on (may or may not be related to MH or Vita).

Anyway, so many things to talk about!

Chickens > Turkeys >
Vita
confirmed?

Tsutaya: http://www.tsutaya.co.jp/rank/game.html?r=W090

Inivisible AKB Vita, supposedly its big holiday game. :(

ReyBrujo

AKB1/149 supposedly shipped only 250k units, the previous games shipped 400k. It was bought by many wotas, I already see the walkthroughs in Japanese, the picture sets and other stuff in auctions, but only if it sells out it would reach the previous games' sales level.

test_account

XP-39C²
It would have done decently imo there is a big base of RPG players on PC

They recently downgraded their sales forcast citing RE6 as one of the reasons (the main one being MH delay but they wouldn't bring up RE if it wasn't significant)
Yeah, Dragon's Dogma might have sold good enough on PC to maintain a good profit.

True about RE6, but making RE6 was not a bad business decision though. It was more about game design maybe (at least from the anecdotal evdience i've read).

Less than stellar Wii support?

For example, I won't even start talking about what they did after RE4 port, despite its really good numbers, because there's already been a ton of discussions about this. :-\

(honestly though, their support as a whole wasn't that bad, but still disappointing nevertheless IMHO)
Based on the RE4 Wii numbers, i guess that it could have been worth a shot to make a RE5 version too, unless that required too much work (RE4 Wii is basically a Gamecube port afterall). But as you say, the Capcom support wasnt really that bad on the Wii.

The power of multi.
I wonder how this will affect the WiiU. It seems more likely to me that multiplatform will be the future for consoles in Japan as well (as it is in the west).

AKB1/149 supposedly shipped only 250k units, the previous games shipped 400k. It was bought by many wotas, I already see the walkthroughs in Japanese, the picture sets and other stuff in auctions, but only if it sells out it would reach the previous games' sales level.

400k were shipped in total, though. I'm not sure whether they shipped so much in the first weeks.

You are amazing
iQljXGSPYRAQS.gif

bomma_man

Doubt it, it's a GameCube kinda lineup (not that's a bad thing quality wise)

bomma_man

Well, back then Animal Crossing wasn't as popular as after the DS one.

True, but I think that audience may have bolted in the west. Not necessarily because the iPhone was always going to dominate, but because it's ugly as fuck and too expensive. People have different expectations now. But this is OT

Mpl90

True, but I think that audience may have bolted in the west. Not necessarily because the iPhone was always going to dominate, but because it's ugly as fuck and too expensive. People have different expectations now. But this is OT

What's ugly as fuck? Animal Crossing? 3DS? What? But this AC seems to be the turning point of the franchise...

TunaLover

Even with poor Vita numbers I'm sure that SE would be more inclined to release a main FF port to Vita than Wii U, talks alot about developers allegiance *sigh*

Nekki

Even with poor Vita numbers I'm sure that SE would be more inclined to release a main FF port to Vita than Wii U, talks alot about developers allegiance *sigh*

It was always going to be released on PS3, Vita is just an afterthought. One could argue about Wii U's low userbase but at this point, i don't think the port has even begun development.

Top Bottom