• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Boy that was fast. The Minecraft thirst is real.

What's really interesting is seeing if and how it climbs the All-Time chart. Especially if (big if) reaches the top places soon enough, since we have some references.

Xbro

Nintendo.jp has just started publishing blog posts with Weekly Top 10 eShop Charts, alongside weekly releases recap.

The first one is here (scroll down under the new releases)

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/e5feb019-9fc7-11e5-a02c-0a6d14145cb1.html

Period covered {2015.12.7 - 2015.12.13}

This will be much more convenient.

In my computer I'm seeing Minecraft Wii U first. I'm the only one?

Am I the only one who wished Mother 3 would hold the position against it?

DaBoss

New updated numbers from Famitsu until November 29th. Enjoy!

10. Pokemon Company - 750.000

10. Pokemon Company

1. [3DS] Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2014.11.21} (¥4.937) - 437.405 / 2.902.255
2. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2015.09.17} (¥5.076) - 264.436
3. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 23.975 / 4.478.300
Thanks for this. I know the month of December isn't over yet, but how does this compare to 2011 for Pokemon Company?

2015 and 2011 being years no new mainline title have been released, but for spin-offs 2015 has SMD while 2011 has Rumble Blast and the PokePark 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
An update on the Setsuna website ! With new SCREENSHOTS. Sure, that's the first one since a month ago, but you can feel how the marketing is heating for this juggernaut. At this point, 300K at launch would be the bare minimum.

Oh boy they really are going all out marketing this game. Can you imagine the budget for this. Setsuna is bomba if it does not at least sell 300k.
I wanted to make a note about this.

So previously I've mentioned that we try to be a bit lighter with moderation in things like Media Create threads so people can feel comfortable posting more controversial opinions.

However, by the same token, as a community we shouldn't be jumping off each little piece of information to do a drive-by jab over a previous debate.

If people want to reopen the debate, it makes more sense to just sit down and explain why they feel this new piece of information adds to the conversation and strengthens and/or weakens their previous arguments.

Now, if something big comes out like "Square Enix announces Setsuna is part of a new zero traditional marketing business strategy," obviously we allow light jabs, but we don't want to get in the situation where each weekly website update for Setsuna is a new quip about "omg huge sales guaranteed!"

Thanks for this. I know the month of December isn't over yet, but how does this compare to 2011 for Pokemon Company?

XY legs are really terrible.

DP sold 227.226 in 2008 (it was released in 2006) and 127.567 in 2009 - with much more competition (Platinum in 2008 and HeartGold / SoulSilver in 2009).

hiska-kun

Maybe I should make a table lol

WiiU 2013 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 18 - Nov 24) - 21.002
(Nov 25 - Dec 1) - 28.518
(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762
(Dec 9 - Dec 15) - 74.903
(Dec 16 - Dec 22) - 109.113

WiiU 2015 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 23 - Nov 29) - 20.256
(Nov 30 - Dec 6) - 32.604
(Dec 7 - Dec 13) - 47.890
(Dec 14 - Dec 20) - ???
(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

Anyone wants to predict the next two weeks? 8)

Mory Dunz

Now that we're talking about budgets and expectations (Mantis, you shouldn't be mocking anyone by the way ;D) I was mildly surprised reading some interviews with Takahashi about XCX's budget and his insight in this matter (Budget in Japanese games):

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/368023/Tetsuya+Takahashi+Talks+Xenoblade+Chronicles+X/

http://time.com/4149809/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-tetsuya-takahashi/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...the-man-behind-xenoblades-breathtaking-worlds

All these budget/cost comments make it seems that the budget for XCX was not so high as some of us expected. Anyone has a list of people involved in XCX? Could the game be a success even selling 500.000 WW?

Interesting interviews by the way, highly recommended!

"Middle tier"? eff I was under the asumption that the game was huge in terms of development budget.

Famitsu Digital Sales: PlayStation Store {2015.11.02 - 2015.11.29}

[PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - 22.8xx
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront - 21.7xx
[PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 7.0xx
[PS4] Atelier Sophie - 5.3xx
[PS3] Minecraft: PlayStation 3 Edition - 4.9xx
[PS4] Sword Art Online Re: Hollow Fragment - 4.9xx
[PSV] Omega Labyrinth - 4.3xx
[PSV] Airship Q - 4.0xx
[PS4] Need for Speed - 3.9xx
[PSV] Atelier Sophie - 3.9xx

wow, retail + digital is more than 7k

I expect 150-170k for Exist Archive, obviously
the 1's are a joke

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Middle tier"? eff I was under the asumption that the game was huge in terms of development budget.

Keep in mind that the average open world RPG is something like a $40-$50+ million production.

If this cost $15-$20 million it'd still be mid-tier in 2015.

Minecraft keeps children away from the yellow mouse

December 7

December 17

and today finally Star Wars Ep.VII arrives in Japan, will it have an impact on the game this week ?

20./10. [PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2015.11.19} (¥8.424) - 7.370 / 145.125 <60-80%> (-22%)

Vena

Huge for monolith certainly, huge for Nintendo maybe, huge for the overall market highly doubtful

Keep in mind that the average open world RPG is something like a $40-$50+ million production.

If this cost $15-$20 million it'd still be mid-tier in 2015.

I would think middle-tier is from whatever Nintendo considers middle-tier internally. It doesn't feel like he's tying the two statements together as "middle tier for an open world". More like "middle tier japanese rpg with western influences" by Nintendo's standards.

SarusGray

I was on a thread that said gravity rush would sell 10,000. Boy am I glad that wasn't true. Don't worry Gravity Rush. We'll support you even more!

sense

it gets tiring to see certain people set high expectations for games by comparing them to different games just so they can say it is a bomba or didn't sell as well as they should have. last week we had a publisher happy they sold 100k copies and there are replies saying, it is shipped, it probably includes digital or it must include asia territories etc.... The best is when i see people bring up those late ps4 ports of tecmo koei games released at full price and use that as example of those kind of games not doing great on ps4 or the use of nathan drake collection sales as some barometer of western games not showing growth in japan. At the end of the day a success or bomba is not based on what we expect, it depends on what the publisher spent on it and expected the game to sell given the climate of the market. if a publisher comes out and says it did not sell to expectation or stops making those kind of games for a certain platform then that is an indication that it did not sell to expectation and was likely a "bomba". if ms and activision come out and give us big numbers without really providing the sales, guess what? it did not sell to expectation.

as far as i know a game like setsuna is an experiment according to square where they want to see how the game does and decide whether to make it a franchise by increasing scope and budget for a possible second entry. no one knows what the expectation is and what the budget was but it is already compared to bravely default and the bar has been set for its sales....

i am sure there are certain people in this thread who are surprised to see why every game isn't made for 3ds or even nx!! i wouldn't be surprised if all these publishers are making games for ps4 with the following thought process i.e. japanese gamers will eventually bite the bullet and adopt the platform if the games are good and there is enough of them.

“I make games in Japan for a global market,” Kojima said when asked about his view of console sales’ downward trend in Japan. “As long as there’s a market out there in the world for making games, I’m not too focused on what’s happening in the domestic market in Japan.

“However, because I make games for all the world, I want to make games that go to a global market. If there are very fun games are out there, I believe they will eventually find their way to Japan. People in Japan will start consuming them.”

noshten

Maybe I should make a table lol

WiiU 2015 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 23 - Nov 29) - 20.256
(Nov 30 - Dec 6) - 32.604
(Dec 7 - Dec 13) - 47.890
(Dec 14 - Dec 20) - 75.000
(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - 100.000

Anyone wants to predict the next two weeks? 8)

Let the octomism flow!

Vena

I was on a thread that said gravity rush would sell 10,000. Boy am I glad that wasn't true. Don't worry Gravity Rush. We'll support you even more!

You should just stick to this thread. :p

We told you to halve to third your original numbers, which puts it right here on the higher end. It actually did a little better than my optimistic expectations, so that's not terrible! (Its not good but its not terrible either, but this is a marketing release for GR2.)

All these budget/cost comments make it seems that the budget for XCX was not so high as some of us expected. Anyone has a list of people involved in XCX? Could the game be a success even selling 500.000 WW?

Just to put some numbers on XCX so far WW (from loose extrapolation from Volkampf tracking, this is the first boss in the game that can only be killed once and is tracked online for kills):
Japan: 130k (last number I remember from actual sales)
USA: >150k (Volkampf)
Europe: >130k (Volkampf, we know 40k in France officially)

The Europe number may be wrong or at least very out of date. So, give or take, I think 500k WW is achievable and is likely going to sit comfortably against its budget allocations/costs even if we use Nirolak's estimates.

JoeM86

Yeah, Pokémon's in serious trouble right now, no matter how much Serebii tries to convince you otherwise.
Pokémon Shuffle is also doing really poorly by mobile standards.

It's lmost as if ORAS has been out for over a year and has sold just under 3 million units in Japan. Shocker that nobody is buying it when everyone has it already.

13 million for X & Y in 23 months.
10 million for ORAS in 10 months

Pokémon Rumble World is the top grossing non-DLC eShop exclusive.
Pokémon Dream Radar is still atop the Nintendo 3DS eShop all-time chart
Pokémon Shuffle got downloaded over 5 million times. A total of over 10 million times across formats (with some crossover).
Pokkén Tournament has been one of the top arcade games in Japan since release (don't let that one arcade removing it make you question that)
Anime ratings match that of Yo-kai Watch which is the "in" thing right now.
Movie did solid numbers, not highest, but solid.

Pokémon is not in serious trouble. For god's sake. There is zero reason to consider that. Please provide all reasons you believe it is. Yes, sales are "low" this year due to it being a gap year which has only had one retail title release, the fifth release in a 10 year old series with dwindling popularity. Despite that, TPC is still the 10th best selling publisher in Japan.

So yeah, please explain how Pokémon is in "trouble".

SarusGray

You should just stick to this thread. :p

We told you to halve to third your original numbers, which puts it right here on the higher end. It actually did a little better than my optimistic expectations, so that's not terrible! (Its not good but its not terrible either, but this is a marketing release for GR2.)

Just to put some numbers on XCX so far WW (from loose extrapolation from Volkampf tracking, this is the first boss in the game that can only be killed once and is tracked online for kills):
Japan: 130k (last number I remember from actual sales)
USA: >150k (Volkampf)
Europe: >130k (Volkampf, we know 40k in France officially)

The Europe number may be wrong or at least very out of date. So, give or take, I think 500k WW is achievable and is likely going to sit comfortably against its budget allocations/costs even if we use Nirolak's estimates.

You said to divide my 30,000 estimate by 3 lol. >:p

JoeM86

I'd sooner say it just has some actual market competition. I don't think either brand is in actual "trouble" of any dire level.

Yeah, it has competition which has barely dented it. It may have killed the legs a bit, but Pokémon is still a top seller and one of the most popular things in Japan and the world.

A lot of people seem to be taking their dislike for ORAS and then using that dislike as a claim that Pokémon is doing badly/dying with this gap year as being further proof. I'm seeing it all the time this year...so many people really don't know what to do in a gap year.

Vena

You said to divide my 30,000 estimate by 3 lol. >:p

You said 30-40k, and I said divide by two or three. :D

Yeah, it has competition which has barely dented it. It may have killed the legs a bit, but Pokémon is still a top seller and one of the most popular things in Japan and the world.

A lot of people seem to be taking their dislike for ORAS and then using that dislike as a claim that Pokémon is doing badly/dying with this gap year as being further proof. I'm seeing it all the time this year...so many people really don't know what to do in a gap year.

Of course but killing its legs, which... I find a bit dubious a statement since spin-offs are weird to gauge and I don't expect ORAS after the original numbers it pulled (saturation of market more quickly than these titles on the chart now, so the titles appearing now look more "leggy").

I think ORAS did perfectly fine (and actually tried some new stuff for once with story telling with Omega Episode).

Ōkami

Using Dengeki about 31.6m retail games have been sold in Japan in 2015, that's CY not FY.

From those 31.4m, about 15.4m have been 3DS games, 4.6m for Vita, 4.4m for PS4, 4m for PS3, 3m for WiiU and 73k for Xbox One.

To put it in even simpler terms
1 out of every 2 retail games sold in Japan in 2015 was a 3DS game.
1 out of every 7 was either a PS4 or PSV game
1 out of every 8 was PS3 game
1 out of every 10 was a WiiU game.
And 1 out of every 429 was an Xbox One game
Rounding all the numbers of course.

3DS's importance on the Japanese market is way clearer by looking at the software sales rather than the current hardware sales, as said before, 3DS has moved 15.4m units so far, with three weeks left of the the year something like 17m by the end isn't too far fetched. Vita, the second most competitive system on the region however, has only sold 15m retail games on it's full four years on the market. Now obviously, the comparison isn't too fair as digital ratio is pretty high for PlayStation systems, so Vita has definetly sold more than 15m games, but still.

Oh btw, while there is no concrete data, Wii has moved more software than the Xbox One for the whole year, hell on an average week 3DS moves more than what the Xbox One has moved on it's entire lifetime.

JoeM86

Of course but killing its legs, which... I find a bit dubious a statement since spin-offs are weird to gauge and I don't expect ORAS after the original numbers it pulled (saturation of market more quickly than these titles on the chart now, so the titles appearing now look more "leggy").

I think ORAS did perfectly fine (and actually tried some new stuff for once with story telling with Omega Episode).

Well Pokémon games have typically had longer legs, just a little shorter now.

That said, Pokémon games have lasted longer in the Top 20 than the mainline Yo-kai Watch games.
Busters is doing the business at the moment though, but that is essentially an element of Yo-kai Watch 2 that has been fleshed out

SarusGray

You said 30-40k, and I said divide by two or three. :D

:mad:

Shahed

7. Sony Computer Entertainment

1. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.592) - 381.968
2. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥8.532) - 239.833
3. [PS4] Bloodborne # <RPG> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.26} (¥7.452) - 209.274
4. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥6.372) - 46.738
5. [PS4] The Order: 1886 # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.02.20} (¥6.372) - 44.258
I always thought Sony were pretty hopeless in Japan but this is worse that I expected. When is the last time an actual Sony developed and published game did remotely well in Japan? No wonder they can make little in roads in Japan.

Vena

^o^ you're right! Hope it has decent legs... lol <.>

It won't (that's just a general trend with remasters unless they are bundled). And you can just get yourself ready for disappointment with GR2! So relish in that happiness now. :D

He's trolling :p

I know but the joke doesn't work when said title is in the Top 10, and doing fine (and better than 3D Mario).

SarusGray

It won't (that's just a general trend with remasters unless they are bundled). And you can just get yourself ready for disappointment with GR2! So relish in that happiness now. :D

I know but the joke doesn't work when said title is in the Top 10, and doing fine (and better than 3D Mario).

you're evil ;./

Orgen

I would think middle-tier is from whatever Nintendo considers middle-tier internally. It doesn't feel like he's tying the two statements together as "middle tier for an open world". More like "middle tier japanese rpg with western influences" by Nintendo's standards.

That's what I thought: Middle tier by Nintendo standards. A high tier should be Zelda Wii U for example and mentioning so much the budget in the interviews (and how the cutscenes are the most expensive things about a RPG) makes me think that XCX didn't have a 15-20$ million dollar budget as Nirolak suggested.

The game will sell more than 500.000 WW for sure but I don't think it can reach 1 million sales. Monolith games should be profitable (I'm including Xenoblade Wii here) because for now they make only one game per generation (so they don't have the time to re-use the engine made for future games) and don't make any handheld games. They are not an investment for the future anymore (they got bought almost 9 years ago) and they're not only a "help-me-finish-this-game" company so its games should be profitable as I said before.

Vena

So Street Fighter V is being ported to Linux.

I felt it was worth noting since we're seeing Capcom make a very unexpected and low sales volume port of one of their games, presumably due to Unreal Engine 4 making it easy by supporting Linux already.

This seems like a Steam OS play, no? But ya, if they make things on ubiquitous engines like UE, I can't seem why a thing wouldn't be ported everywhere if the cost is very low for the port/compile/optimization. The only reason to do otherwise would be when someone pays for it or for its "debut".

The only time I'd see it not being very cost effective is if you are porting an UE4-mobile/handheld game upwards since that'd potentially also require asset updates and such to bring things up to the "console standard".

Freedom Wars last year did 300k+, and they did nothing to follow up on that success. GG.

They did follow up on it. They withdrew Vita support officially.

It's lmost as if ORAS has been out for over a year and has sold just under 3 million units in Japan. Shocker that nobody is buying it when everyone has it already.

13 million for X & Y in 23 months.
10 million for ORAS in 10 months

Pokémon Rumble World is the top grossing non-DLC eShop exclusive.
Pokémon Dream Radar is still atop the Nintendo 3DS eShop all-time chart
Pokémon Shuffle got downloaded over 5 million times. A total of over 10 million times across formats (with some crossover).
Pokkén Tournament has been one of the top arcade games in Japan since release (don't let that one arcade removing it make you question that)
Anime ratings match that of Yo-kai Watch which is the "in" thing right now.
Movie did solid numbers, not highest, but solid.

Pokémon is not in serious trouble. For god's sake. There is zero reason to consider that. Please provide all reasons you believe it is. Yes, sales are "low" this year due to it being a gap year which has only had one retail title release, the fifth release in a 10 year old series with dwindling popularity. Despite that, TPC is still the 10th best selling publisher in Japan.

So yeah, please explain how Pokémon is in "trouble".

Pokémon is not "in trouble" but the sales of the last mainline entry have been quite disappointing (worst LTD ever), and legs of both the mainline and the remake have been pretty dire. On top of that, spin-offs start to become less and less relevent - bear in mind that being the only retail release in 2015 for the franchise should have helped SMD.

8. Koei Tecmo

1. [PS3] Samurai Warriors 4-II # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.02.11} (¥6.264) - 71.531
2. [PSV] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥6.264) - 50.109
3. [PS4] Yoru no Nai Kuni # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.10.01} (¥7.344) - 44.689
4. [PSV] Samurai Warriors 4-II # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.02.11} (¥6.264) - 38.815
5. [PSV] Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book # <RPG> (Koei Tecmo) {2015.11.19} (¥6.264) - 33.774

19. Idea Factory

1. [PSV] Hakuoki: Shinkai - Furi no Shou # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.09.25} (¥6.804) - 19.800
2. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.26} (¥6.264) - 19.594
3. [PSV] Reine des Fleurs # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.08.20} (¥6.264) - 14.070
4. [PSV] Hakuoki: Zuisouroku - Omokagebana # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.19} (¥6.264) - 11.764
5. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: More, Blood - Limited V Edition # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.01.15} (¥6.264) - 10.768

20. Compile Heart

1. [PSV] Genkai Tokki: Moero Crystal # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.09.25} (¥7.344) - 31.623
2. [PS4] Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II # (Compile Heart) {2015.04.23} (¥7.538) - 31.531
3. [PSV] Makai Shin Trillion # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.07.23} (¥7.344) - 30.603
4. [PSV] Geki Jigen Tag: Blanc + Hyperdimension Neptunia Vs. Zombie Gundan # <ACT> (Compile Heart) {2015.10.15} (¥7.344) - 26.317
5. [PS4] Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force # <RPG> (Compile Heart) {2015.11.05} (¥7.538) - 19.706
Vita is like the bread and butter for these companies. Surprised at Tecmo Koei output though. Pretty sure they were the one who convinced SE for DQH 2 on Vita.

14. Atlus

1. [PSV] Persona 4: Dancing All Night # <ACT> (Atlus) {2015.06.25} (¥7.538) - 117.852
2. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Atlus) {2015.03.05} (¥7.538) - 91.657
3. [3DS] Devil Survivor 2: Break Record <SLG> (Atlus) {2015.01.29} (¥6.458) - 74.286
4. [PSV] Persona 4: Golden [PlayStation Vita the Best] <RPG> (Atlus) {2015.02.05} (¥4.298) - 19.696
5. [3DS] Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight <RPG> (Atlus) {2014.11.27} (¥6.458) - 10.278 / ?
Atlus needs to treat their Persona fans on Vita with more games. Persona 3: Remake. When?

Edit: Where is Nihon Falcom? Tokyo Xandu did really well and yet I don't see them? :S

viHuGi

Banned
Seems like next 2/3 weeks will be huge for Wii U, probably reaching 3 milion LT in Japan lefting Ps4 further away.

Ps4 will still win when all its said and done but its amazing that Wii U is still kicking ass in Japan.

NX will be huge in Japan at least <3

Top Bottom