• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2015 (Dec 07 - Dec 13)

jzbluz

Was confused why IF was higher in the list than CH (aren't they the same company anyway?), and then remembered that IF practically releases an otome game every month.

Shahed

Freedom Wars last year did 300k+, and they did nothing to follow up on that success. GG.

Is that it? Have they even got anything they personally can offer for PS4 now that Vita is dead from their perpective? Gravity Rush may be good and highly regarded, but I don't see it reaching anything more than a niche audience. Gran Turismo while worldwide may seem pretty stable, is heavily in decline in Japan I believe? As is that Golf game I think?

For being a pretty large company in Japan, why do they seem so inept in terms of software? They aren't anywhere near where they should be considering that size of the company and that they are also a platform holder. It's not as if they are new to the industry. It's no wonder Nintendo regularly dominates them.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Maybe I should make a table lol

WiiU 2013 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 18 - Nov 24) - 21.002
(Nov 25 - Dec 1) - 28.518
(Dec 2 - Dec 8) - 48.762
(Dec 9 - Dec 15) - 74.903
(Dec 16 - Dec 22) - 109.113

WiiU 2015 Hardware Sales Christmas Season

(Nov 23 - Nov 29) - 20.256
(Nov 30 - Dec 6) - 32.604
(Dec 7 - Dec 13) - 47.890
(Dec 14 - Dec 20) - ???
(Dec 21 - Dec 27) - ???

Anyone wants to predict the next two weeks? 8)

Didn't realize it was comparing so well compared to 2013... that's quite impressive actually. Cool :).

Also it looks like Splatoon updates end in January. T_T

It probably started development before that SE meeting where they decided to start supporting the Vita for realz.
That could be the case for sure. I am really curious to see how the Vita version of DQH2 stacks against the PS3/PS4 version and how much it will sell compared to both, since it missed the original. I doubt it will do any better though.

I really don't get the wiiu "hype", it's going to do 13-14M? worldwide while PS3 was considered a "failure" but managed to move 10M units in japan?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I really don't get the wiiu "hype", it's going to do 13-14M? worldwide while PS3 was considered a "failure" but managed to move 10M units in japan?

The PS3 was remarkably consistent without selling all that much year to year. The PS3 was a relative failure from the PS2. It wasn't "a failure". However, look at the PS4 & Wii U. The PS4 has yet to outsell the Wii U (sure the Wii U has been out a year longer, but that didn't stop it in other territories), but it looks like the PS4's fortunes are only now FINALLY picking up despite having a good bit of Japanese support. The Wii U hype is all relative. Wii U is a dead system, yet thanks to Splatoon & Mario Maker is actually going to have a better year than last year hardware-wise, which was inconceivable before.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Can someone explain me how can some people believe Wii U will end at 13 million?

Wii U is at 10.73 million by end of September.

Wii U WW holidays shipments:
2013 - 1,950,000
2014 - 1,910,000

Wii U is up YOY in Japan and Flat in USA. WW will be pretty close, most likely a bit more, but even with only 1.9 million, Wii U will be at 12.63 million by end of year.

Now, do you think Wii U won't sell over 370k after that?

Wii U shipped 390k in Q1 2013, 310k in Q1 2014, and 340k in Q1 2015.

Wii U will most likely be > 13 million by march 2016... But even 14 million seem low, i mean, after March has an intere year for sell, and even some unit in 2017...

Wii U will end at >15 million.

Vena

The PS3 was remarkably consistent without selling all that much year to year. The PS3 was a relative failure from the PS2. It wasn't "a failure". However, look at the PS4 & Wii U. The PS4 has yet to outsell the Wii U (sure the Wii U has been out a year longer, but that didn't stop it in other territories), but it looks like the PS4's fortunes are only now FINALLY picking up despite having a good bit of Japanese support. The Wii U hype is all relative. Wii U is a dead system, yet thanks to Splatoon & Mario Maker is actually going to have a better year than last year hardware-wise, which was inconceivable before.

Wiping out the profit of two successful consoles and plunging the entire division into crippling deficits year over year is nothing short of abject failure. Sony salvaged the brand and the name, and then turned things around by end of cycle leading into their ultra conservative but successful PS4. But the PS3 was nothing short of disastrous when you look past "We sold XY millions! Hurrah!".

Its like the exact opposite of the PS2/Wii which was squandered success.

It probably started development before that SE meeting where they decided to start supporting the Vita for realz.

I think more aptly, the reality of the console world in Japan hadn't sunk in yet or become a dawning realization. There was likely some early on hope for a stronger transition and keeping the Vita out of the solution was a good way to not dilute the effort. You could also, then, more reliably count on the PS3 as a crutch which is no longer the case. The PS3 software sales have dried up like a puddle in the Sahara on a scorching sunny day. So it was either PS3/PS4 with the former greatly depreciating over the previous entry while the latter hasn't exactly exploded in popularity, or incorporate the Vita to offset the former's decline.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Sega Sammy recently released a revised IR forecast stating that their digital business (games) will be severely impacted due to games being pushed back to next fiscal year. Im assuming the biggest impact is Persona 5, so that won't release until April at least.

Duno if it was known - on a side note, their doing extremely well on the mobile front.

vinnygambini

We knew Persona 5 is a summer 2016 release. How early or late summer is what we don't know.

You're right, forgot about that announcement, thanks for the reminder.

Could be late August seeing as Ultima released in that period, regardless Q2 release.

They did follow up on it. They withdrew Vita support officially.

Oh you!

Is that it? Have they even got anything they personally can offer for PS4 now that Vita is dead from their perpective? Gravity Rush may be good and highly regarded, but I don't see it reaching anything more than a niche audience. Gran Turismo while worldwide may seem pretty stable, is heavily in decline in Japan I believe? As is that Golf game I think?

For being a pretty large company in Japan, why do they seem so inept in terms of software? They aren't anywhere near where they should be considering that size of the company and that they are also a platform holder. It's not as if they are new to the industry. It's no wonder Nintendo regularly dominates them.

I think it doesn't help that they've effectively only got two Japanese Studios. That's a little bit of a dis-service because Japan Studio is actually multiple teams (although one of those teams has been stuck making one game since like... 2007?), but it still backs up the point that there's just not the masses of studios like Nintendo has in Japan.

I also feel it's worth pointing out that Japan Studio have had a difficult couple of generations. In the 7th gen they just seemed to go all over the place making experimental content - LocoRoco; Patapon; Echochrome etc. I mean, fun games, but not exactly brimming with commercial appeal.

It appeared that the studio had *finally* found themselves again a little bit at the beginning of this gen - Soul Sacrifice & Freedom Wars showing they were at least aware of popular trends in Japan and they seemed like conscious efforts to sell both software and hardware on a local level.

But now, it seems the studio have refocused again to making software that's going to sell worldwide. Gravity Rush getting a bigger budget and shifting to PS4. Working with Capcom on Deep Down and From Software on Bloodbourne (the latter they did admittedly do with Demon's Souls previously, but still). I guess having the former head of Santa Monica Studio at your helm sure helps with that.

There's still the weird experimental stuff in there like The Tomorrow Children, but it seems they're being shifted over again to create globally appealing stuff. Which is a shame. Perhaps if they had more resources they'd be able to focus on titles for both the local market and the worldwide market, but as a single studio (even with multiple teams) that seems like a stretch.

As a side note, I feel like SCEJA as a whole needs to start doing more smaller-scale second-party outsourcing. Sure they've kept plowing money into the Minna no Golf series and we got Oreshika last year, but where are the things like Boku no Natsuyasumi (a game which I feel could certainly do a lot to reach a different demographic on both PS4 & Vita) or WKC (series wasn't the best, but at least it showed Sony funding outside developers to create JRPG's on both PS3 & Vita)?

Mory Dunz

Who hypes the wii U sales? Everyone knows its a failure bomb.

If people want to enjoy the christmas bonus, then let them.

If like the Wii U and Vita pulled 700k each in the Dec NPD, people would go crazy. It'd probably get more attention than the two main consoles. It's fun, so what?

About the PS3. It sold well, but lost an effload of money. Not saying it's a failure but the argument can be made

fake edit: there was a gif somewhere..ah:
nintendo_sony_151yo3b.gif

Wiping out the profit of two successful consoles and plunging the entire division into crippling deficits year over year is nothing short of abject failure. Sony salvaged the brand and the name, and then turned things around by end of cycle leading into their ultra conservative but successful PS4. But the PS3 was nothing short of disastrous when you look past "We sold XY millions! Hurrah!".

That's a bit overly dramatic. There seems to be a bit of an obsession with the losses in those early years of the PS3 but in business terms those years are well over now. Surely for gamers the size of the install base is much more significant than any temporary costs to the business. If it wasn't for those million sales there would not have been a PS4, or without the improved profitability of the PS3 as time went on.

Focussing on those first few overambitious years of losses could well be why a lot of people had such a mistaken view of how things were going to work out at the beginning of this "generation". The idea that they had no money to do anything.

AniHawk

New updated numbers from Famitsu until November 29th. Enjoy!

19. Idea Factory

1. [PSV] Hakuoki: Shinkai - Furi no Shou # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.09.25} (¥6.804) - 19.800
2. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: Dark Fate # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.26} (¥6.264) - 19.594
3. [PSV] Reine des Fleurs # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.08.20} (¥6.264) - 14.070
4. [PSV] Hakuoki: Zuisouroku - Omokagebana # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.02.19} (¥6.264) - 11.764
5. [PSV] Diabolik Lovers: More, Blood - Limited V Edition # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2015.01.15} (¥6.264) - 10.768

why are these guys here? did they make a thousand games that sold 10k units each or something? so out of place on the list.

SCE's studios are comfortably called "Sony Worldwide Studios" and that's probably why their workforce is dispersed throughout the world. SCE's structure is hardly comparable to Nintendo, where pretty much everything is coming from Japan. If Sony Japan is a dwarf compared to Nintendo Japan, the western part of Nintendo is non-existent compared to Sony, I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Believe me I'm the first who would like SCE Japan Studio to grow and deliver games on a more regular basis. But if Sony Japan alone was comparable to Nintendo, while having Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica etc... that would give us some kind of ultimate beast of a company o_O

why are these guys here? did they make a thousand games that sold 10k units each or something? so out of place on the list.

It is a list of publishers by overall sales for the year. If you sell 10k copies of a new game, and if you release a game a month, by the end of the year you've sold 120k copies which isn't bad. Bit weird that Compile Heart got broken out from Idea Factory as a whole, though: combined they probably have sold more than Warner Bros.

And on another note, it's interesting to see the contrasting legs of Senran Kagura Estival Versus. The Vita version sold another 10k-ish copies since dropping out of the charts, while the PS4 version basically fell flat on its face after launch. Guess that explains the lack of PS4 version for Valkyrie Drive and Uppers.

This seems like a Steam OS play, no?

SteamOS is basically Linux, though. It's going to be a genuine Linux port. Although, as you later alluded to in that post, the use of UE4 means 80% of the donkey work for porting to Linux (and OSX) is already done for them.

Vena

SteamOS is basically Linux, though. It's going to be a genuine Linux port. Although, as you later alluded to in that post, the use of UE4 means 80% of the donkey work for porting to Linux (and OSX) is already done for them.

Yes, I know this. What I meant is that the reason for the port to Linux is to have access to SteamOS. Once they've ported it to Linux, they've pretty much ported it to SteamOS.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
If like the Wii U and Vita pulled 700k each in the Dec NPD, people would go crazy.

Hemm, no. Not with Wii U At least.
Last year it sold 580,000 in December NPD 2014. While is unlucky a 20% YOY increase, this should't be THAT shocked if Will happen.
I personally expect 600,000 in December NPD.
With 700k, this would probabily be a good result, but People won't do crazy.

Vita, in other hends, well... That's Will be LITERALLY crazy... It sold 150,000 last year, 700k means a 370% YOY increase.

Last hear it sold 580,000 in December NPD. While is unlucky a 20% YOY increase, this should't be THAT shocked if Will happen.

Vita, in other hends, well... That's Will be LITERALLY crazy... It sold 150,000 last year, 700k means a 370% YOY increase.
Wii U's gonna be down in NPD, November was propped up by that bundle but it's not there for December.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wii U's gonna be down in NPD, November was propped up by that bundle but it's not there for December.

That's not the Point.
What i mean is that 700k should not be crazy since it sold 580,000 last year...
For the rest, that's the wrong thread for talk about this. :p

Mory Dunz

Last year it sold 580,000 in December NPD 2014. While is unlucky a 20% YOY increase, this should't be THAT shocked if Will happen.

my original post was gonna be 900k for wii u and 400k for vita given it's the us, but i thought it might be interpreted as sarcasm or an insult, so i did 700k both.

SCE's studios are comfortably called "Sony Worldwide Studios" and that's probably why their workforce is dispersed throughout the world. SCE's structure is hardly comparable to Nintendo, where pretty much everything is coming from Japan. If Sony Japan is a dwarf compared to Nintendo Japan, the western part of Nintendo is non-existent compared to Sony, I don't think it's more complicated than that.

Believe me I'm the first who would like SCE Japan Studio to grow and deliver games on a more regular basis. But if Sony Japan alone was comparable to Nintendo, while having Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica etc... that would give us some kind of ultimate beast of a company o_O
Precisely. Sony is working on a far larger scale worldwide. As such, the comparison isn't putting everything into perspective.

I do think Sony Japan is still recovering from last generation and are preparing to turn things around this generation though.

vinnygambini

Was there a new bundle released for Wii U in Japan? It's up yoy, 20k difference.

Precisely. Sony is working on a far larger scale worldwide. As such, the comparison isn't putting everything into perspective.

I do think Sony Japan is still recovering from last generation and are preparing to turn things around this generation though.

I'm a little less optimistic about the whole recovering thing (I read that Kotaku story with Allan Becker and all). It looks to me that Japan Studio is less and less a dev house.

I mean if we are talking about in-house crafted games, I don't think they put anything else on PS4 than... Knack. In two years ! Bloodborne = From Software. The Tomorrow Children = Q-Games. Minna no Golf = Clap Hanz. Even on PS Vita, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars and Oreshika 2 were not in-house games from Japan Studio. At least, two of them are coming in 2016 (The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Was there a new bundle released for Wii U in Japan? It's up yoy, 20k difference.

There was the existence of Splatoon (and a bit of Mario Maker) (which both technically have bundles), and the Japanese like these games a lot... enough to drive hardware somewhat...

hiska-kun

Media Create Sell-Through and other info

06./00. [PSV] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.12.10} (¥7.344) - 38.746 / NEW <89,98%> [Units shipped => 43.061]
07./00. [PS4] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.12.10} (¥8.424) - 38.156 / NEW <86,77%> [Units shipped => 43.974]
19./00. [PS3] Steins;Gate 0 <ADV> (5pb.) {2015.12.10} (¥8.424) - 8.645 / NEW <90,11%> [Units shipped => 9.594]

Wii U Bundled Hardware Sales (Super Mario Maker and Splatoon) - 36.000

HGH

Banned
Was confused why IF was higher in the list than CH (aren't they the same company anyway?), and then remembered that IF practically releases an otome game every month.
It is a list of publishers by overall sales for the year. If you sell 10k copies of a new game, and if you release a game a month, by the end of the year you've sold 120k copies which isn't bad. Bit weird that Compile Heart got broken out from Idea Factory as a whole, though: combined they probably have sold more than Warner Bros.
Specifically, checking VN sites says they released somewhere around 12 games in that time period. Heck, they batch announced 12 more games for 2016 too. I'm told that IF basically owns 80% of the otome market, as small as it may be.
It'd probably be better to list the IF brand in that list as Otomate. Despite CompileHeart being their subsidiary, IdeaFactory seems to mostly just handle publishing for them at this point. Guess this was an average year compared to the last two treating them so well though.

vinnygambini

There was the existence of Splatoon (and a bit of Mario Maker) (which both technically have bundles), and the Japanese like these games a lot... enough to drive hardware somewhat...

I thought it would be that, but still I'm impressed by Wii U's sales.

Splatoon (and Mario too) has brought new life to the platform.

Edit: there it is, thanks hiska!

hiska-kun

First Day Sell-Through {2015.12.17}

[3DS] Monster Strike <RPG> (Mixi) (¥4.860) - 30% good sales expected for the weekend

[PS4] [XB1] Fallout 4 # <RPG> (Bethesda Softworks) (¥8.618) - 60% this time the One version is selling better than usual

[PS4] [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) - It's better don't say anything lol*

[PSV] Miracle Girls Festival <ACT> (Sega) (¥7.549) - 30-40%

[PSV] [PSP] Angelique Retour # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.344) - 50-60%

[PSV] [PS4] Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) - 20-30%

[PSV] [PS4] [PS3] Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition <FTG> (Sega) - 20-30%

[PSV] MeiQ no Chika Ni Shisu: A Maze to Eradicate Them All # <RPG> (Compile Heart) (¥7.344) - 30%

Rabbids Land

[3DS] Shokuhoko no Soma: Yuujou to Kizuna no Hitosara <ADV> (FuRyu) (¥6.458)
[3DS] Downtown no Gaki no Tsukai Yaarahen de!! Zettai ni Tsukamatte Haikenai Gasu Kurobikari Land <ACT> (Alchemist) (¥5.184)

* (maybe some Jojo fan can translate the sarcasm)

I'm a little less optimistic about the whole recovering thing (I read that Kotaku story with Allan Becker and all). It looks to me that Japan Studio is less and less a dev house.

I mean if we are talking about in-house crafted games, I don't think they put anything else on PS4 than... Knack. In two years ! Bloodborne = From Software. The Tomorrow Children = Q-Games. Minna no Golf = Clap Hanz. Even on PS Vita, Soul Sacrifice, Freedom Wars and Oreshika 2 were not in-house games from Japan Studio. At least, two of them are coming in 2016 (The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2).
Well, two years ago was still on the cusp of the PS3 generation. It will still take a while if anything is to come from them.

Top Bottom