• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2013 (Dec 16 - Dec 22)

It's kinda shocking to see Wii U selling 120k.

I wonder if its friend Vita will ever have a 100k+ week, the highest so far is 90,996 (GE2 + TV).

Takao

Banned
What business practices? I believe the account system is a technical issue and there is the region free issue.

What else?

Not paying for online
Love their attitude to DLC
Lots of sales on the app store
etc

Presumably for their business practice of designing hardware for their own personal interests rather than the industry as a whole.

Thanks for the info but is there really a need to be rude ?...

I don't see how three big name first party titles and a big selling Japanese franchise (Monster Hunter Frontier G) in the first four months of the year is a 'drought'. The WiiU software drought will start the month after MK8 when there is nothing planned until Autumn when we will start to see the likes of Bayo 2, Zelda, Smash and X arrive.

The problem is that 1 game a month isn't enough to carry momentum, especially when some of those releases are of little importance. You listed Monster Hunter Frontier G. That game's already out on Wii U, and sold less than 5000 copies.

Busaiku

I think you guys are vastly overestimating 2DS.
Unless Nintendo launches it at GBA prices or something, I doubt it'll have much of an impact.

Keep in mind that 3DS already costs as much as DS did.

Metallix87

Did you see what SCEA did to Vita this year? If things remained the same, and SCEA did launch Vita TV I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell worse than it is in Japan.

Yeah, SCEA has ZERO interest in anything Vita. The past two E3s are proof enough of that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't get it though, how strongly attached are you that you devolve into making such silly posts? I'm not happy that the system is in shitsville either, but damn.

Anyways, I believe dropping the 2DS should make hardware pick up the pace. Pretty crazy how the software is moving like crazy, when the hardware is down.
I feel this is a sign of a platform that has a very engaged user base, but one that is nearing saturation with the current library and price point.

The late gen 360 and to extent the PS3 showed similar behavior in the US.

I agree that the 2DS would be the best option to pick up very price conscious consumers (depending on how many exist below 3DS price point) and then they can either try very different software avenues from what's available on 3DS and/or prepare to move on to 4DS while the iron is still hot.

Dascu

2011: farnham
2012: Dragonsworn
2013: AzaK

There's always the Nintendo fan that, for any kind of reason, becomes most ardent and...let's say it, stupid and obnoxious Nintendo antagonist with 1/2 good arguments among an ocean of silly posts. I don't know why that happens, it's almost a scientific fact now. But, what's more interesting...who's going to be the next one?

Placing bets for SmokyDave to turn into Vita/mobile basher by the end of 2014.

You should inform yourself better. Wii U having a drought as well doesn't make the Vita's situation any better, there's no point in comparing the two other than giving fodder to console warriors crapping on sales threads.

Excuse me but where did I ever mention the Vita ?, unless that MH game is a Vita port, someone listed it as a game coming to WiiU early next year unless I misunderstood the post.

I have a Vita and really enjoy it but I think we can all agree it's only chance at decent sales is as a WiiU like PS4 controller.

Ty4on

There's always the Nintendo fan that, for any kind of reason, becomes most ardent and...let's say it, stupid and obnoxious Nintendo antagonist with 1/2 good arguments among an ocean of silly posts. I don't know why that happens, it's almost a scientific fact now. But, what's more interesting...who's going to be the next one?

It's like how best friends turn into the most bitter enemies. I wouldn't be offended by 3DW and DKC:TF if there hadn't been a SM64 or Prime trilogy.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U best selling console in Japan in 2013, confirmed.

What a come back :) Now don't mess up with Mario Kart's release date Nintendo.

Thing about the gamecube comparison in nov/dec is that the wiiu was feeling heat from the ps4/x1 launch. I more interested to see the actual numbers come feb-april. Personally I think we will see good numbers (relative to past months) for the wiiu here in the USA, and again will see the baseline shift on the positive side in jan 2014 going forward. Pretty much the gist of what I am and have been saying is that the worst days of the wiiu are over. Not saying its going to do amazing or anything its just finally broken the death slump in my opinion.

That's only one random month. I could have chosen any one of those previous months where the GameCube beats the Wii U quite significantly overseas.

I don't think there's enough conclusive evidence to make these kind of bold assumptions. Nintendo knows how to sell their consoles during a holiday period. It's completely normal for them...what matters most is consistency.

Wii U also had a great launch...does that mean it was guaranteed to sell well post-launch? No. The same principle applies to this holiday season.

Keep an eye out for Week 2, 2014. Last year the Wii U managed 21,489 (from 70,662 in the previous week). If the Wii U can maintain a slower decline curve and stay away from the dreaded <10K territory, there may be something to that comment.

Code:
Week 49, 2012	1	12/3/2012	308,570
Week 50, 2012	2	12/10/2012	130,653
Week 51, 2012	3	12/17/2012	122,356
Week 52, 2012	4	12/24/2012	76,760
Week 1, 2013	5	12/31/2012	70,662
[B]Week 2, 2013	6	1/7/2013	21,489
Week 3, 2013	7	1/14/2013	16,635
Week 4, 2013	8	1/21/2013	12,335
Week 5, 2013	9	1/28/2013	11,714
Week 6, 2013	10	2/4/2013	11,092
Week 7, 2013	11	2/11/2013	10,167
Week 8, 2013	12	2/18/2013	9,495
Week 9, 2013	13	2/25/2013	9,528
Week 10, 2013	14	3/4/2013	9,089
Week 11, 2013	15	3/11/2013	8,567[/B]

Code:
Week 49, 2013	53	12/2/2013	46,773
Week 50, 2013	54	12/9/2013	72,982
Week 51, 2013	55	12/16/2013	119,159

Oregano

It's not comparable.

AND you listed Monster Hunter Frontier G which shows you were digging from the bottom of the barrel.

I was just naming the ones I could think of. I think Frontier G was just a "oh yeah that was announced" kind of thing.

You assume it's an either/or, and that the list is of many games?!

That's quite a few games just off the top of my head from the last few months.

People are comparing lists of announced titles since September or so.

Yeah. If we were going by what has previously been released on both systems then 3DS wins in a landslide but we're not exactly getting new Resident Evils and Kingdom Hearts on the 3DS and I'd say over the last few months the Vita has been getting better support.

so my 2014 Media Create prediction

Wii U LTD to pass XBOX 360 LTD in a month

PS4 LTD to pass Wii U LTD in 2 weeks

when is the X1 going to come out in Japan?

haha, yeah right

AzaK was arguably one of the most ardent Wii U fans early on.

He's just taken the dragonsworn/farnham route in recent months.

what's up with this anyway

bold prediction:
2014: Mpl90
:p

Nibel

All signs point to
Mpl90

We'll miss you Mpl.

OryoN

Wii U best selling console in Japan in 2013, confirmed.

What a come back :) Now don't mess up with Mario Kart's release date Nintendo.

Not sure if I'd call it a "come back" until performance stabilizes at decent levels, but it's damn sure an impressive feat, especially for a console to which nothing but doom has been forecasted.

Shengar

100k for Wii U, 55k for Vita
Miracle indeed exist! (though not here)
Can I expect similar huge bump for Vita/Sony platform during New Year? Nirolak said that Sony platform usually having bump in that tkme, and I clung my trust to his word.
Also good first week for Drakengard 3. Now Japan, start making Zero fanarts already.
AzaK was arguably one of the most ardent Wii U fans early on.

He's just taken the dragonsworn/farnham route in recent months.
The reason why you need to be realist in any situation.

Surely the existence of the 2DS has made people hold off purchasing in Japan? No real way to be sure though.

Also not sure why people are jumping on Kandinsky, he's completely right. 3DS third party support is in the shitter. Has anything other than Bravely Second even been announced in the last two/three months?

wait.. nobody actually believes that Third Parties are gonna drop the 3DS?

What are people smoking today!! lol

Merry Christmas!!!

Good to see Wii U doing well, even though it's not much deserved. But looking at 2014, I think we can look toward big things.

Zelda 2014 believe!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hey, you do have Serebii for competition!

Ok, the possible N-quitters in 2014
Me
Serebii, that after so many freeze, will become Mr. Freeze
marc^o, the soon-to-be-awakened mobile dragon

Anyone else?

L Thammy

what's up with this anyway

Azak was hyped on the Wii U and felt severely burned by what he ended up getting. Dragonsworne made the "Japan is embracing Wii U as their home console" post and then did a bizarre 180, perhaps he was similarly disappointed. Farnham I'm not familiar with.

Presumably for their business practice of designing hardware for their own personal interests rather than the industry as a whole.

Ding ding ding. It's too late for Nintendo to attract people with power anyway, they need to bend over backwards for third parties if they want to become competitive on the console front.
Their indie policies seem like a start.

Ok, the possible N-quitters in 2014
Me
Serebii, that after so many freeze, will become Mr. Freeze
marc^o, the soon-to-be-awakened mobile dragon

Anyone else?

Aquamarine stops covering Nintendo stuff and sells her 3DS/Wii U
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Great for Wii U. Im sure we'll see some drops, but 2014 has a strong line-up, regardless of third party games. I can only see it getting better.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Since we're on the topic of Wii U survival/comeback, I guess my opinion would be that chasing the Wii U is the right short term decision, but the wrong long term decision.

In the short term it's definitely the platform they can release software for the fastest, already has at least some install base, and keeps NIntendo in the console conversation on at least some level. Not dumping it immediately also ensures that Wii U owners don't feel abandoned.

In the long term however, it puts Nintendo in a situation where they're unlikely to ever exceed the GameCube's LTD, if they even make it that far, and has them as the third wheel in the dedicated console conversation. Now, is it impossible to come back from brand perception/awareness damage like that? No, as the Wii has shown, but I do think it's notably harder now given that 2 or 3 mega-billion dollar platform vendors (Apple, Google, and if you want to count them separately, Amazon) have entered the market.

There's probably a decent middle ground somewhere between the two. Perhaps releasing their full 2014 line-up, and then starting to wind down in 2015 with releasing things like Yarn Yoshi and Zelda to keep fans happy while allowing them to transition to a system designed entirely around delivering first party Nintendo games as cheaply as possible without compromising quality, presumably out sometime in 2016. Microsoft managed to relaunch the Xbox brand into a huge success after a four year cycle without alienating their base, so it at least has a use case of success.

Majmun

I think it was the best reviewed Drakengard game by Famitsu. Sales are also pretty good, better than Nier at least.

Oh, that's great to hear. I really loved Drakengard 1&2 and Nier. Somewhat flawed but very remarkable games.

Can't wait for Drakengard 3. It's probably my most wanted 2014 title.

Are you sure the bolded is what's happening?

L Thammy

Since we're on the topic of Wii U survival/comeback, I guess my opinion would be that chasing the Wii U is the right short term decision, but the wrong long term decision.

In the short term it's definitely the platform they can release software for the fastest, already has at least some install base, and keeps NIntendo in the console conversation on at least some level. Not dumping it immediately also ensures that Wii U owners don't feel abandoned.

In the long term however, it puts Nintendo in a situation where they're unlikely to ever exceed the GameCube's LTD, if they even make it that far, and has them as the third wheel in the dedicated console conversation. Now, is it impossible to come back from brand perception/awareness damage like that? No, as the Wii has shown, but I do think it's notably harder now given that 2 or 3 mega-billion dollar platform vendors (Apple, Google, and if you want to count them separately, Amazon) have entered the market.

There's probably a decent middle ground somewhere between the two. Perhaps releasing their full 2014 line-up, and then starting to wind down in 2015 with releasing things like Yarn Yoshi and Zelda to keep fans happy while allowing them to transition to a system designed entirely around delivering first party Nintendo games as cheaply as possible without compromising quality, presumably out sometime in 2016. Microsoft managed to relaunch the Xbox brand into a huge success after a four year cycle without alienating their base, so it at least has a use case of success.

Personally, I think Nintendo should have a short gen and try to focus on long-term investment. In services, in research, and speeding up development. Sort of like how Sony screwed the pooch on the PS3 but built up PlayStation Plus quite a bit.

Bruno MB

27./00. [WIU] Wii Fit U [Wii U Family Premium Set Black/White] <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥34.800) - 16.125 / 44.311 <40-60%>

Wii Fit U is showing up in the Famitsu Top 30 for the second time since it was released. In case there was any doubt that it will be another franchise that will go from selling a couple of million units to just barely a few hundred thousand copies, we just need to take a look at these figures.

In 2 months less than 50.000 people have bought the bundle that includes Wii Fit U despite only costing 2.000 more yens. Interesting that sell-through rate, Famitsu must be tracking the bundle as an special edition because they are giving sell-through data for a game only available at retail via download card. As we can see, it is very low so it's not that there weren't many units available.

We have the following Wii U hardware sales breakdown:

There is a little margin of error because I'm basing my calculation on New Super Mario Bros. U and evidently some people (not too many) must have bought the standalone version.

Bundle 1 (32,800 yen): 32GB Wii U + New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U + Sensor Bar + Wii Remote + 30 days of Karaoke service - 97.648

Bundle 2 (34,800 yen): 32GB Wii U + New Super Mario Bros. U + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + Sensor Bar + Fit Meter + Wii Remote + 30 days of Karaoke service - 16.125

Wii U Basic / Deluxe - 5.386

Total - 119.159

Hall of Fame: BurntPork

Nibel

What's your take on a dramatic price cut? Would it help and if so, when would be the best time to announce one?

Assuming Wii U is selling at least 50k more units until PS4 releases, you're predicting PS4 to sell 1.5 million units in 2 weeks? I'm not saying that's completely impossible, but it's really a lofty goal. Besides PS2 has any console done this ever before?

If the PS4 does not kill in Japan we should worry about the mobile gaming future taking our hobby down with it

I can't believe someone could think next year's Wii U lineup looks good. Hopefully they actually have a lot more than they have announced because once Mario Kart is out it's going to be in for a loooooong road. As a gamer though, next year could be one of their bests if they actually get all they have announced out.

What's your take on a dramatic price cut? Would it help and if so, when would be the best time to announce one?

Nintendo shouldn;t take a huge loss on a system whose peak is Gamecube sales.

Sandfox

I may be misremembering but didn't Digimon and SAO both sell over 150K on PSP? And Harvest Moon sold just over 200K? We are not talking worlds apart there.

I would expect Persona dancing to outsell Q based on sales of Miku and Etrian Odyssey.

Really the outlier is Bravely Second because BD is over 300K. As a new IP though there's no guarantee the second one will do as well(if it was up to me it would do better than Lightning Returns at the very least).

EDIT:

Taiko, Dragon Quest Swords and Monster Hunter Tri outsold nearly like 90% of PS3 games but no one would pretend the Wii had good third party support.
Porject Diva fans buy the games for Miku, the other idols and their music so that's a wild card IMO.

Zelda U is a particularly tough case, I think. It might well be the most expensive project in EAD's history; at what point do realistic sales projections for it get so low that it makes more sense to rework it for (an)other platform(s)?

I can't believe someone could think next year's Wii U lineup looks good. Hopefully they actually have a lot more than they have announced because once Mario Kart is out it's going to be in for a loooooong road. As a gamer though, next year could be one of their bests if they actually get all they have announced out.

besides Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4

I only have X and Bayo2 to wait for in 2014

only 4 games

the sad thing is I own a lot of games for Wii U so next year things really slow down for me

I'm sure Nintendo has more for 2014 I just can't imagine whatever they are not slipping into 2015

It's not even an exclusive thing to NeoGAF honestly. I've seen people who've transitioned to this board from other boards with that attitude, some in this very topic. It's like some people cant have a middle ground. Its ok to like their games even when theyre selling like shit lol.

The mobile market should reach market saturation before this generation ends anyway, it can't grow to infinity.

Then we could see a reverse trend for the mobile market if they don't invent something special.

Report from Sep. 19, 2013

15733714u75.gif

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Smartphone-Use-Japan-Makes-Steady-Gains/1010226

I still worry about some of the major Japanese Publishers losing so much money from mobile investments if this downturn is not managed. Capcom / Square Enix all the ones who seem to be turning over everything to hop on mobile

I just hope we don't see them die out

besides Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4

I only have X and Bayo2 to wait for in 2014

only 4 games

the sad thing is I own a lot of games for Wii U so next year things really slow down for me

I'm sure Nintendo has more for 2014 I just can't imagine whatever they are not slipping into 2015

Well let's see they have

DK
Mario Kart
Bayonetta 2
X
Yoshi's Land
Zelda Musou
Smash
Fire Emblem x SMT

I think all of these make it out next year barring Fire Emblem. Now Nintendo better have something else because that's only 5 games that could even sell over 200k. I mean if they're desperate they could always have a NSMBU2 out by next year. Personally, I hope there is some more experimental stuff and lesser known IPs not related to the Mario Universe.

The thing is, without third party support and the lack of lightning in a bottle, what is the point of another Nintendo home console to pump out more of the same Nintendo first party titles? It seems that with each generation (bar the crazy success of the Wii, but there were clearly many other factors there), the core Nintendo crowd has been falling off. The people that buy the Marios, the Karts, the Smash Bros etc. Nintendo can only milk these cows for so long, clearly shown by what's going on with Wii U. I agree that the portable market is a different kettle of fish, but I don't think another home console with the same tried and tested NSMB, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Smash Bros etc. will do much better than Wii U to be honest. Even if it comes in at $250. The Nintendo hardcore, what few of them remain, will buy the console and the games for sure...but that market is now so small I wonder if it's even worth going after. Nintendo has done so much, it seems, to push these people away that they've backed themselves into a corner. I'm not saying it's impossible for Nintendo to come out of this with a success, because only a fool would totally count Nintendo out, I just think it's extremely difficult for them to make a comeback in the home console space any time in the next 3-6 years.

fred

Merry christmas nintendo. I hope it will last but I am not sure...

Probably won't last beyond the Christmas shopping period but then next year we've got Donkey Kong in February and Mario Kart 8 probably in April/May so that should help to maintain a half decent sales momentum after Christmas.

Top Bottom