• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2016 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

casiopao

This is Sony's week, PS4 and Vita will have better holds than 3DS and Wii U (whoever still buy them).

After that, here comes to brutal brutal drop. I am kinda afraid of reading the number here Chris.T_T

While on the hardware, i can see that PS4 and Vita holding better as this is usually their best week, but i feel that the software will still be filled with 3DS software here as there are more choices for Nintendo owner right now.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
True but there is a chicken and egg element. The Vita audience remained engaged because of the amount of content that was released.

Third parties abandoned 3DS this year, Nintendo left it at life support with ports and recycled content and still it destroyed competition this December at software finding unexpected hits or rising sales from old entries that wouldn't chart if there was a steady flow of new releases.

Just like Vita owners prefering multiplatform titles over PS4 despite being treated as second entry choices.

Consumers are those who decide and made publishers still count Vita, it's not the other way around.

After that, here comes to brutal brutal drop.

After that there is anonter big week that sales rise again.

casiopao

After that there is another big week that sales rise again.

I can't remember Chris. What does we have during 3 third week in January?O_O Golden Week?

Fourth Week is Chinese New Year i think. And usually the first week of February is when shit hit the storm that it caused the Sales to more or less collapse.

Oregano

Third parties abandoned 3DS this year, Nintendo left it at life support with ports and recycled content and still it destroyed competition this December at software finding unexpected hits or rising sales from old entries that wouldn't chart if there was a steady flow of new releases.

Just like Vita owners prefering multiplatform titles over PS4 despite being treated as second entry choices.

Consumers are those who decide and made publishers still count Vita, it's not the other way around.

After that there is anonter big week that sales rise again.

The 3DS really only picked up again after the release of Pokemon though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pokemon being the reason 3DS peaked is far from reality. MHX had bigger impact last year.

It's Japan, not west.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Ōkami;227750143 said:
For the sake of Japan Switch needs to be succesfull and PS4 needs to be more succesful.

PS4 likely peaked in 2016 at hardware, 2017 will see a small drop.

Vita will keep its downward trend but with bigger drop this time.

XBox 1 is a non factor and Wii U/PS3 are already dead.

These 5 systems will count for ~1m lost sales in 2017 comparing to 2016.

That leaves 3DS and Switch. 3DS will drop (at least) another 1m which leaves Switch having to sell 3m in order 2017 to match 2016 sales. It's not an outstanding number and can be achieved even if it relatively struggles.

For software things are more clear and positive, there are big games coming and Nintendo is back in game after the break of last year.

Celine

Mini NES absolutely stunning.
Now imagine if Mini stock were plentiful...
I'm curious to see how many Mini Nintendo shipped worldwide this quarter (probably 1-2 million which by itself would make the best selling retro plug and play console).

Celine

PS4 likely peaked in 2016 at hardware, 2017 will see a small drop.

Vita will keep its downward trend but with bigger drop this time.

XBox 1 is a non factor and Wii U/PS3 are already dead.

These 5 systems will count for ~1m lost sales in 2017 comparing to 2016.

That leaves 3DS and Switch. 3DS will drop (at least) another 1m which leaves Switch having to sell 3m in order 2017 to match 2016 sales. It's not an outstanding number and can be achieved even if it relatively struggles.

For software things are more clear and positive, there are big games coming and Nintendo is back in game after the break of last year.
Agree with everything you said except if Switch hit 3 million then HW will surely be up YoY (3DS can still sell 900k-1M next year and PS4 may decline but not collapse).

Oregano

Pokemon being the reason 3DS peaked is far from reality. MHX had bigger impact last year.

It's Japan, not west.

Software wise though 3DS was struggling for most of this year with the few key titles it had underperforming.

Why argue with someone who moves the goalpost over and over again tho 🤔

The goal posts are the same though. Vita has only managed to last so long due to the vast third party support it has, which is a result

I could point out that it's totally paradoxical to talk about how Vita support was down to solely consumers and then mention that third parties abandoned 3DS.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I can't remember Chris. What does we have during 3 third week in January?O_O Golden Week?

Fourth Week is Chinese New Year i think. And usually the first week of February is when shit hit the storm that it caused the Sales to more or less collapse.

Golden Week is in May and the beginning of 2017 was celebrated on January 1.

DKHF

Famitsu's numbers are up

Edit: they tweeted that they are up but it's showing 2 weeks ago's numbers...

It pretty much ran on Minecraft and nothing else, which if anything shows the power of Minecraft lol. The only other bigger titles that sold rather well on Vita were the two Dragon Quest spinoffs (Builders & Heroes 2), neither of which had any legs. All the supposed "big titles" didn't really do anything for the Vita hardware either from what I can tell.

I agree with all of this post, but at least the Dragon Quest games were major titles we knew were coming in 2016. There was also KanColle, but other than that nothing was really that big.

The "legs" comment confused me though. No Vita games have had any legs aside from Minecraft and arguably Hot Shots Golf, lol.

duckroll

Is my life being directed by David Lynch or am I looking at Famitsu 18 December numbers?

No, it's not, the numbers all look wrong. The LTDs are wrong, the positions are last week's, nothing adds up. LOL.

Edit: Oh this is MC, not Famitsu. My brain is dead.

Top Bottom